Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Did Stan Lee get Spideys design idea from Japan?

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cattlebattle

just asking if anyone knows the answer??

I'm saying, in the 60's when Spidey was created the basic formula for super-heroes in america was
    capes
    muscles
    half or all of face showing

In Japan super heroes wore masks that covered their whole faces and body and were slim like in sentai (ultraman Zyuranger) 

Did Stan get the idea from a trip to Japan or something

Does anyone know the answer

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

I've no idea, but it makes sense. His outfit is very Power Rangerish. In fact, in the first movie when he's fighting Goblin during that parade, all I could think of was Power Rangers.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By cattlebattle
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    I've no idea, but it makes sense. His outfit is very Power Rangerish. In fact, in the first movie when he's fighting Goblin during that parade, all I could think of was Power Rangers.
    LOL I actually thought Green goblins outfit was ridiculouly Power rangerish in that movie, but yeah I see what your saying, Spidey would get a lot more done if he had a giant mech anyway
    Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Adnan

If you count the Kid Flash look as Super Sentai-style, Wally West debuted a couple years before Spiderman (in the late 1950s) Regardless, the first Super-Sentai series was in the 70s, wasn't it? Spider-Man debuted in the early 60s

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Adnan said:
    If you count the Kid Flash look as Super Sentai-style, Wally West debuted a couple years before Spiderman (in the late 1950s) Regardless, the first Super-Sentai series was in the 70s, wasn't it? Spider-Man debuted in the early 60s
    He was saying Sentai-style, not specifically that series though. 

@cattlebattle said:
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    LOL I actually thought Green goblins outfit was ridiculouly Power rangerish in that movie, but yeah I see what your saying, Spidey would get a lot more done if he had a giant mech anyway

Everyone would get more done with a giant mech :P
    Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Adnan
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    @Adnan said:

Oh that's not what I meant. I forgot to ask - does anyone know when thaat Style first debuted?
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cattlebattle
    @Adnan said:
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    @Adnan said:

Oh that's not what I meant. I forgot to ask - does anyone know when thaat Style first debuted?
    The 50's I believe,
    Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Icon

@cattlebattle:

Spider-Man predates the Power Rangers by several decades, and even predates the first ever super sentai series by about 12 years (Kamen Rider, which came out in 1975). So no, he can not have been modeled after things that came out many years after him. He is simply original when compared to the look of most superheroes that came before (i.e. DC characters).

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Quite true. I think most people watching the first Spider-Man film felt the Goblin design was very Power Ranger-ish.

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Icon

@cattlebattle said:

@Adnan said:
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    @Adnan said:
    The 50's I believe,

Nope, sentai began in the 70's. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Sentai

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By PowerHerc

Doubtful, since Stan really didn't do much in the way of actually drawing/designing superheroes.

If anyone would've been influenced/inspired by the Japanese when creating Spider-Man, it would've been Steve Ditko.

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11  Edited By Timandm
    @Icon
     @cattlebattle:Spider-Man predates the Power Rangers by several decades, and even predates the first ever super sentai series by about 12 years (Kamen Rider, which came out in 1975). 

Okay...Sooo????  Oh, I get it!  You're saying that Stan Lee was a time traveler.  He obviously traveled forward in time, stole the idea, went back to the 60s (because who wouldn't want to) and VOILA!!!  It's almost TOO easy...

LOL!  I'm just playing!
    Avatar image for i_madc_imageguy_
    I'maDC/ImageGuy!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By I'maDC/ImageGuy!

Wouldn't it be Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko since all Stan did was write the character and allegedly stole all the credit.......

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Icon

@Timandm: lol!

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By cattlebattle
    @Icon said:

@Timandm: lol!

Really? I thought Ultraman (which is in the same genre as other characters like godzilla) was created in the 50's it's called tohatsu or something, Yes Sentai wasn't around until the 70's but the fore mentioned  "tohatsu" (I'm pretty sure I have the name wrong) was essentially the precursor as many things were similar, including the character outfits.
    Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Adnan
    @cattlebattle: You mean Tokusatsu? (why do I know this stuff...) The early stuff doesn't seem to be as similar to Super Sentai as you're implying, though it definitely inspired it.
    Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Icon

@cattlebattle: Tokusatsu just means "special effects" shows, and while the first of them came out in the 50's most were not superhero shows except for Super Giant. But that has more in common with Superman than Spider-Man. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Giant

Ultraman did not come out until 1967 (so that's after Spider-Man) and that is the one thought of as a precursor to the super sentai shows which started coming out in the mid to late 70's.

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Icon

@cattlebattle: Oh yeah, and Spidey himself had a sentai show in Japan in 1978 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man_(Toei)

So if anything I would say Japanese characters were inspired by Spider-Man (rather than the other way around) who was popular enough to get his own show in Japan when sentai shows became popular.

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18  Edited By Timandm
    @cattlebattle: You're probably right... I really know very little about Japanese animation/comics etc...
    Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#19  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @I'maDC/ImageGuy! said:
    Wouldn't it be Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko since all Stan did was write the character and  stole all the credit.......
    Avatar image for i_madc_imageguy_
    I'maDC/ImageGuy!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By I'maDC/ImageGuy!
    @turoksonofstone: I said allegedly.
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @I'maDC/ImageGuy! said:
    @turoksonofstone: I said allegedly.
    I know. *fixed*
    Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By Amegashita

Well, if we want to go further, you could say the costume was inspired by Ninja's but that's all I'm getting.   

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23  Edited By doordoor123
    @cattlebattle said:
    just asking if anyone knows the answer??  I'm saying, in the 60's when Spidey was created the basic formula for super-heroes in america was capes muscles half or all of face showing  In Japan super heroes wore masks that covered their whole faces and body and were slim like in sentai (ultraman Zyuranger)   Did Stan get the idea from a trip to Japan or something Does anyone know the answer

I think he got it from wrestling. There are Luchadores that wrestle with masks that cover their entire faces. Also spidey wore a mask like that when he first wrestled.
    nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By nefarious

He could have. A lot of Superhero designs come from Japan.

turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @Nefarious said:
    He could have. A lot of Superhero designs come from Japan.
    ALL of Japans designs were all based on Disney's early animation anyway. Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, and Steve Ditko influenced Japan to suggest it's the other way around is quite comical.
    nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By nefarious
    @turoksonofstone: Comical, indeed. That is interesting, Disney's early animations were awesome.
    Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#27  Edited By Deadcool
    @cattlebattle
    actually Ditko created the suit of Spider-man, and Spider-man then became popular in Japan (Japanese Spider-man tv Series1979), and then the Power Rangers (Super Sentai, 1993), then appeared Masked Rider (tv Series, 1996)... 

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By cattlebattle
    @Deadcool said:

@cattlebattle
    actually Ditko created the suit of Spider-man, and Spider-man then became popular in Japan (Japanese Spider-man tv Series1979), and then the Power Rangers (Super Sentai, 1993), then appeared Masked Rider (tv Series, 1996)... 

No Caption Provided

Sentai ,power rangers (zyurangers) predated the Spider-Man show by 5 years.......lol when I was 13 I got this show from a flea market, it was awesome......beacause I was 13
    Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By Amegashita
    @Deadcool said: 

Of course the eyes on the Mask of Spider-Man would be thin.  Stereotypes galore.  
    Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Deadcool
    @Amegashita
    ?... 

Spider-mas was created with thin eyes... 
    Kirby's Spider-man
    Kirby's Spider-man
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By cattlebattle
    @Deadcool said:
    @Amegashita
    ?... 

Spider-mas was created with thin eyes... 
    Kirby's Spider-man
    Kirby's Spider-man
    I think he means in that show they are more "slanted" than normal to represent an Asian sterotype
    Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Deadcool
    @cattlebattle

OH! I see =)
    Kamen Rider Kajiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@cattlebattle: @Deadcool: Sorry for this bump, But I am in the mood to give history lessons xD

The Tokusatsu genre Power Rangers comes from started in 1958 with Japan's first TV Super Hero Gekko Kamen (Moonlight Mask AKA the real Moon Knight) The a year later the hero Nana Iro Kamen (7-Colour Mask) was his successor was created in 1959. This is where the heroes started getting helmets and such. The next step was Ultraman in 1966 where the helmets and looks started to get better and better.

Till 1971 when Ishinomori (a man with just as much heroes as Stan Lee) made Kamen Rider (from the Skull Man) which is where the Power Rangers got allot of their basic tropes from.Then after starting his Silver age of Tokusatsu heroes Ishinomori created a show called Himitsu Sentai Goranger in 1975 which is the first Super Sentai series (Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger AKA Power Rangers is the 16th) Which he came up with by combining his his older work Cyborg 009 with Gatchaman This show was so popular that it went for 86 episodes. Making it his second most popular show ever (Kamen Rider = 98) But the franchise started to fail in 1977-78 with his second show. JAKQ Dengekitai. Luckily around this time Stan Lee came to Japan. He showed interest in the shows and gave Toei permission to make a show. Which was Spiderman in 1978. This introduced the robot on that cover, Leopardeon. Giant Robot Toku did air earlier and Ishinomori even made one of his own. But he had nothing to do with Sentai at that time any more and no one combined Super Heroes with Robots before. And this was an hit! So Toei inserted one in the 3rd show Battle Fever J and used Marvel heroes as a guideline for new suites.

No Caption Provided

Battle Japan = Captain America, Miss America = Miss America, Battle Kenya = Black Panther, And Battle France & Battle Cossack are so obscure in design that it could be any super hero.

So what I am saying is that Spiderman didn't get influenced by it at all (still think its from Mexican wrestlers) and Stan Lee liked Sentai so much that he tried to sell it subbed to American television networks... Failed and then sold it to some guy. It eventually came in the hands of Saban. So Stan Lee saved Super Sentai and gave birth to Power Rangers by giving them Megazords through Spidey xD

Just to make up for all the bull shit I just wrote out of boredom. Sorry xD

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Deadcool

@Kamen Rider Kajiki: No problem, now this thread is complete.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.