Did Aunt May know In The Amazing Spider-man? - possible spoiler.

#1 Posted by Pyrogram (41560 posts) - - Show Bio

He walked into the house all blood splattered and bruised after the lizard fight, aunt may saw him and was life, wtf.. then they sorta looked at each-other and understood and hugged. during this scene the Fight was on TV on the news, did aunt may figure it was peter as spiderman?

#2 Posted by Blood1991 (8082 posts) - - Show Bio

I think she understood everything, at the end.

#3 Posted by spider-man 2996 (659 posts) - - Show Bio

I took it that she now knows.

#4 Posted by The Stegman (26542 posts) - - Show Bio

I think she cared more about the eggs.

#5 Posted by Chaos Burn (1792 posts) - - Show Bio

that goddamn movie, everyone in it knew Peter was Spiderman,he kept showing his face off! Gwen, Lizard, Cpt Stacy, all the thugs on the subway saw his face, as did some of the criminals he was tracking, the kid in the car, now Aunt May?

Personally I don't think she knows, I think the hug and 'realisation' moment was just her thinking he was back from a cathartic street fight, and she understood that was his way of coping. I doubt she would silently realise that Peter had become a genetically enhanced, web swinging hero from just cuts and bruises

#6 Posted by Spiderslike (646 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's more likely that she choose to ignore what Peter could be doing in hopes that whatever it is he's dealing with Ben's death. I don't think she knows but only because she's choosing to not put the pieces together.

#7 Edited by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

@Chaos Burn said:

that goddamn movie, everyone in it knew Peter was Spiderman,he kept showing his face off! Gwen, Lizard, Cpt Stacy, all the thugs on the subway saw his face, as did some of the criminals he was tracking, the kid in the car, now Aunt May?

Personally I don't think she knows, I think the hug and 'realisation' moment was just her thinking he was back from a cathartic street fight, and she understood that was his way of coping. I doubt she would silently realise that Peter had become a genetically enhanced, web swinging hero from just cuts and bruises

@Spiderslike said:

I think it's more likely that she choose to ignore what Peter could be doing in hopes that whatever it is he's dealing with Ben's death. I don't think she knows but only because she's choosing to not put the pieces together.

Basically these.

The one thing that pissed me off more than anything else in the entire movie was that he gave his identity to Gwen on his first date and not to Aunt May.

#8 Posted by nickzambuto (15440 posts) - - Show Bio

@Chaos Burn said:

More people new in the first trilogy. The subway scene was no worse than him spewing out webs in the cafeteria and hitting Flash across the room. He didn't understand his powers yet. And must I even bring up the fact that a train full of people saw him in Spidey 2? And I don't recall him showing his face to any criminals he was tracking.

In the first trilogy, MJ knew, Harry knew, every single one of his villains figured it out, a train full of pedestrians, etc.

#9 Posted by Pyrogram (41560 posts) - - Show Bio

@Chaos Burn said:

very good points, I Like this idea.

#10 Posted by Pyrogram (41560 posts) - - Show Bio

@nickzambuto said:

@Chaos Burn said:

More people new in the first trilogy. The subway scene was no worse than him spewing out webs in the cafeteria and hitting Flash across the room. He didn't understand his powers yet. And must I even bring up the fact that a train full of people saw him in Spidey 2? And I don't recall him showing his face to any criminals he was tracking.

In the first trilogy, MJ knew, Harry knew, every single one of his villains figured it out, a train full of pedestrians, etc.

That was not by has own doing though, his mask came of during the fight or something, I forgot ? Not all his villains figured, sandman did not lol, and harry knew beacuse of doc ock,

#11 Posted by Loki9876 (3062 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah she knew.

#12 Posted by Chaos Burn (1792 posts) - - Show Bio

@nickzambuto said:

@Chaos Burn said:

another reason why the Toby Maguire films were awful.... I wasn't comparing the two, and to be honest the answer is most likely that they wanted lots of screen time with Andrew Garfields face doing crazy stuff - I think film makers hate masks.

#13 Posted by ltbrd (568 posts) - - Show Bio

Well that makes sense though as they are hiring tgese multi-million dollar performers andbpart of the sell of a film is who is in it. But even the Batman films (earlier and Nolan) had him unmasked or people knowing his identity. Even in the comics people know Spider-Man's idntity (or have seen him unmasked but don't know who he us). I liked the idea posed by DC way back during the Crisis of Conscious arc where Oliver Queen gets on Wally and Kyle about how secret identities are kept and how its not about people never finding out but about mitigating the collateral once an identity is exposed. Marvel and DC have both taken this idea onboard and more and more stories deal with villains knowing the identity of the heroes they face (just look at all of Batman's troubles lately). As to the thread question, I think she knows and actually figured it out before he walked in the door because the revelation on her face occured while Peter was still fighting the Lizard. But this is okay, because it actually follows the comics a lot more than people think. It was put out a few years back that May knew for quite awhile Peter was Spider-Man after finding a torn and bloody costume. The fact that Peter fretted her knowing all those years was more his own worries than what she would say if she knew. The film seemed to want to capture that idea by May simply accepting Peter rather than try to correct him. Rather than worry over him she is simply there for him to come home to, a pillar for him to lean on. This gives a lot more strength to her character than the Raimi films did.

#14 Posted by Gambit1024 (9843 posts) - - Show Bio

She has to know.

That reaction shot when Peter left the room after the news said that there's a warrant out for Spider-Man's arrest? That wasn't for nothing. And then there's that ending... with the eggs :')

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.