Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17252 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

dan slott's run on spiderman

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

for a couple of years now dan slott has been on spiderman. i find his work a hit or miss. his hits were no one dies, spider-island, goblin wars, the spider slayers, and big time while his misses were his ends of the earth, alpha, dying wish, and how he handles the deaths of every characters. his run on superior is good but could've been done better especially for goblin nation as i felt that arc was a little bit rushed and could've been alot longer. i am also not a fan of his mary jane as she seems like the opposite of an independent woman and how she "ended" in superior was just really out of character for her to do. his peter is also a bit childish than his spiderman. and like i said before how he handles the death of any characters at times were not well executed and just forced like the death of dr kafka who was a really big part of the spiderman mythos as she helped spiderman a couple of times and is dilligent for her need to help every supervillain turn good and seeing how slott put her to an end was by treating her death so random was jpisspoor as it was a force attempt to make peter feel guilty, develop superior, and either try to troll us or try to be clever.

any thoughts on his run on the character?

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By PunyParker

He did great when he was working with a team.Him,Waid and the rest of them made a cute clusterf*ck of people working on the character.
    WHen he took the book solely on his shoulders it started to become harsh.......Big Time was good,Ends of Earth was good too,some singular issues were good,but the majority was really off.......mis-writing of the character,everyone fighting for the gag....it wasn't good.

Then Superior come along,something he wanted to do for a long time,and it worked,for a lot of people,because he wrote a character how he wanted and how he was right to be written.And even then,some issues were extremely bad,most of the characters besides Ock,were written out of character.....(like a mile out) and some events just didnt make any sense.But overall,it was fun,for people,i guess.
    Amazing #1 and #2 are not something special,but we can't judge by reading only 2 issues.

The LTC spinoff book,getting back to the 60s is great.....it's his style,he's an old school writer,with old school dialog......this doesn't always work in modern era comics,but it works on that.

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree, the ending to SSM did feel rushed....but I blame Marvel for that a little more because they were concerned with getting Peter back before TASM2 hit theaters....then again, I guess Slott could have started the Goblin Wars arc an issue or 2 sooner.

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: i agree that his run is alot of fun. i really like some of his characters like mister nagative, the people at horizon labs, and anne marie including that fat big nosed college professor that sacrificed himself to save spOCK(like we all didn't know he was gonna die especially the part that "he'll give his life that he promises" in maybe issue 21 where spOCK created a hologram of ock)

infact, what do you all think of how he handles the death of every character?

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

I agree, the ending to SSM did feel rushed....but I blame Marvel for that a little more because they were concerned with getting Peter back before TASM2 hit theaters....then again, I guess Slott could have started the Goblin Wars arc an issue or 2 sooner.

They said to him "Go with it till the movie"
    He knew how much he had.

@punyparker: i agree that his run is alot of fun. i really like some of his characters like mister nagative, the people at horizon labs, and anne marie including that fat big nosed college professor that sacrificed himself to save spOCK(like we all didn't know he was gonna die especially the part that "he'll give his life that he promises" in maybe issue 21 where spOCK created a hologram of ock)

infact, what do you all think of how he handles the death of every character?

I agree,those stuff you mentioned is a lot of fun.

He handles death poorly.....he killed Doctor Kafka for no reason,and in one panel!!.......he killed Spider-Man,in a very bad way.......i don't remember other deaths.
    OH! Massacre.He shot him in the head.......

Alex_1333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How long is his run now? ?

Green_Tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alex_1333:

He was one of the four writers of the thrice-monthly The Amazing Spider-Man, a schedule which began in January 2008 following the controversial storyline "One More Day".

During that initial ASM run, I actually enjoyed the stories by Zeb Wells, Mark Waid, Joe Kelly & Fred van Lente a lot more.

IMO, Dan Slott is an extremely over rated writer. SSM was just a silly joke to me. I think he has written some of the worst Spider-Man stories ever.

Alex_1333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alex_1333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alex_1333: said

@magnetic_eye: thrice monthly is A LOT.

Yeah it is. The quality of writing suffers tremendously when you're pumping that much content out. I prefer a title to come on a monthly basis. At least that way you can have a better written consistent product. ?

Green_Tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magnetic_eye: i lord, i still think three times a month is the worst absolute decision that any company can make for their comics, especially for one like Spider-Man. Heck, even bi-monthly didn't do it any favors, just look how much Ramos' art had to suffer because of the schedule.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@solid_snake97: said

@magnetic_eye: i lord, i still think three times a month is the worst absolute decision that any company can make for their comics, especially for one like Spider-Man. Heck, even bi-monthly didn't do it any favors, just look how much Ramos' art had to suffer because of the schedule.

Yeah, I still can't fathom why Marvel did that. Maybe it's just simply greed and the fact that Slott wanted to pump out as much of his silly fan-fiction as possible.

I've never been a fan of Ramos' art style either, but I guess that too would suffer under such a strenuous schedule. ?

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

He was one of the four writers of the thrice-monthly The Amazing Spider-Man, a schedule which began in January 2008 following the controversial storyline "One More Day".

During that initial ASM run, I actually enjoyed the stories by Zeb Wells, Mark Waid, Joe Kelly & Fred van Lente a lot more.

IMO, Dan Slott is an extremely over rated writer. SSM was just a silly joke to me. I think he has written some of the worst Spider-Man stories ever.

Yeah it is. The quality of writing suffers tremendously when you're pumping that much content out. I prefer a title to come on a monthly basis. At least that way you can have a better written consistent product.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This in a big way @magnetic_eye sums it up perfectly like always.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alex_1333: said

@magnetic_eye: thrice monthly is A LOT.

Yeah it is. The quality of writing suffers tremendously when you're pumping that much content out. I prefer a title to come on a monthly basis. At least that way you can have a better written consistent product. ?

I liked it better when there were 3 different Spider-Man(Peter Parker) titles under different writers. When you have one writer producing 2 ASM books a month, as well as his other projects, the quality of the writing tends to suffer. It still upsets me that Marvel cancelled Avenging Spider-Man as that could have been used by writers who has yet to write a Spider-Man story.

knightwriteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthfury78: Three titles has always been a good formula it worked in the 80's and it worked in the early 2000's.

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I Would Love To See Spider-Man Have More Than Three Titles Again. Gerry Conway Should Handle The Main Title, Ta-Nehisi Coates Should Handle The Spectacular Spider-Man, David Walker Should Handle The Web Of Spider-Man, Jason Aaron Or Mark Waid Should Handle The Sensational Spider-Man, The Avenging Spider-Man Should Be Written by Chris Yost, Cullen Bunn, And Nick Spencer Even James Robinson . I Also Hope That Rick Remender And Matt Fraction Could Come Back To Marvel And Work On Either Of The Spider-Man Titles And Peter David Should Do The Amazing Spider-Family Titles like Team Ups, Spin-Offs And Even The Anniversary Special As In Peter And Mary Jane Celebrate Their Anniversary Together And Dealing With A Romantic Fight.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ursaber

I Would Love To See Spider-Man Have More Than Three Titles Again. Gerry Conway Should Handle The Main Title, Ta-Nehisi Coates Should Handle The Spectacular Spider-Man, David Walker Should Handle The Web Of Spider-Man, Jason Aaron Or Mark Waid Should Handle The Sensational Spider-Man, The Avenging Spider-Man Should Be Written by Chris Yost, Cullen Bunn, And Nick Spencer Even James Robinson . I Also Hope That Rick Remender And Matt Fraction Could Come Back To Marvel And Work On Either Of The Spider-Man Titles And Peter David Should Do The Amazing Spider-Family Titles like Team Ups, Spin-Offs And Even The Anniversary Special As In Peter And Mary Jane Celebrate Their Anniversary Together And Dealing With A Romantic Fight.

No! Sorry man that is a recipe for disaster. I know cause I've been reading Amazing Spider Man from 257 to 328. Concurrent with ASM was Spectacular and Web of Spider Man. A lot of the stories told in one title were continued in Spectacular and Web and it is a mess. I had to get a chronology on how to read Spidey to its fullest. Reading comics should not be a hassle and neither is paying for three comics a month. People who read exclusively the main ASM title didn't get the full story because it was too spread out across many titles. Kraven's Last Hunt was divided between three series and the first time I read through it I got an incomplete version because I also had to read Spectacular and Web.

What I'm not against are two Spider Man titles that are linked. For example, its every Spider Man's dream to see One More Day retconned. In the current Spider Man books, Peter's consciousness could travel back in time and reality to tell Mephisto NO! As such the deal was never made. We could have two Spider Man titles, one in the present and one in the past detailing the story of Peter and MJ following their refusal of Mephisto's deal, the death of Aunt May and their adventures afterwards. Peter and MJ in the past could go to Doctor Strange and have their minds scanned to reveal that the daughter they had during the Second Clone Saga was not a miscarriage. The Spider Man comic set in the past could deal with Peter and MJ travelling across the US in search of their daughter and could also give us a better alternative to how Peter got his secret identity back. Meanwhile in the present, we have a married Peter and MJ with their daughter, similar to RYV. Peter can still work at Horizon Labs while MJ works at the theater and Annie goes to school.

The Sensational Spider Man Vol 3 - this is the Spider Man title set in the past which was running concurrently with the main title until OMD happened. This series can fill in the gaps between Peter and MJ's refusal of the devil deal and can center around Peter and MJ on the run, looking for their daughter and working to make Peter's identity secret again.

The Amazing Spider Man Vol 4 - this is the title that replaces the current ASM run by Slott and gives us a happily married Peter and MJ with Annie. This series would be the restoration of Spider Man and can deal with the modern heroics.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber:

I get what you're saying about thrice monthly Spider-Man books by three different writers, but from my experience back in the day, Marvel were releasing fewer books overall when compared to the gluttonous amount of titles published today.

For me ASM, PPSS and WOS were the top three books on my pull,list, so it wasn't that hard to keep up with the complete story and price wise the books were more affordable.

I do like the idea of those titles running simultaneously again, (only with competent writers that respect the character), it brings back a lot of good memories, an exciting time to be Spider-Man reader when better quality work was published.

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Indeed. Plus We'll Have The Best Writers And Artists Working On Spider-Man . I Like Your Ideas For These Three Separate Spider-Man Series But There's Nothing Wrong About Releasing Multiple Series Especially When You Know What're You're Doing.

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvelman92: The more of Spider-Man you can sell, the better. The more money Marvel rakes in the more Spider-Man they can make and support

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ursaber

It should END. It should END after Clone Conspiracy is done.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By darthfury78

@marvelman92: The more of Spider-Man you can sell, the better. The more money Marvel rakes in the more Spider-Man they can make and support

So long as those titles are worked on by different writers who are not influenced by the head writer of ASM. It would have been cool to see a Spider-Man & Spider-Woman/Black Widow team-up adventure or a Spider-Man & Captain Marvel/She-Hulk adventure. But all we get is either Miles Morales, Deadpool, or The Human Torch.....

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.