Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17252 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Could You Watch Spider-Man in 3D Without 3D Glasses?

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here
     Yes, this is exactly what the ride is like.
     Yes, this is exactly what the ride is like.

You’ve got to love when something pertinent regarding a comics-movie sneaks into a dry, seemingly-unrelated announcement. In this case, it’s a AP article about 3D TVs that don’t require glasses for the effect - - an article that matter-of-factly mentions that Sony’s planning to put out “home software of 3-D theater releases” for 2012’s SPIDER-MAN reboot. Putting on my thinking cap, I presume that means they’re already thinking of ways to allow audiences to get the same SPIDER-MAN 3D experience at home as they'll get in the theaters. Though, wouldn’t that negate how 3D's “saving the movies?”  Once again, I’ll say that I’m really not adverse to a 3D SPIDER-MAN movie experience. Hell, one of the best Spidey experiences I’ve ever had was on that 3D ride at Islands of Adventure in Orlando.   Actually, it’s probably the best theme park ride I’ve ever been on - - the best one in the world.  

My mind really boggles over how you can watch something in 3D without goggles or glasses (maybe I ought to consult Norm and Will at Tested?) Though, it is a bit telling that this AP article notes that image quality on the glasses-less 3D screens isn’t nearly as sharp as the 3D screens that require glasses. Fuzzy visuals have, of course, been a common criticism of 3D since well before this current boom. == TEASER ==

This article’s also a little eyebrow-raising in reminding me that Sony’s actually still based in Japan. I hadn't really thought about in a long time, because it's the fifth biggest conglomerate in the world - - they're everywhere and they do everything.

Anyway, does the prospect of seeing 3D without glasses freak you out, too? Are you eager for or fearful of SPIDER-MAN 4’s 3D presentation? And who here in the Comic Vine has been on the Spider-Man ride? Am I not right in saying it’s the best in the world?

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of HYBRID BASTARDS! & UNIMAGINABLE. Order them on Amazon here & here.

skaarason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By skaarason

cant wait !!!!!!

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Bestostero

i hate 3d movies, but if you can watch it without the glasses, that might be interesting lol

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jordanstine
    @Tom Pinchuk: "Hell, one of the best Spidey experiences I’ve ever had was on that 3D ride at Islands of Adventure in Orlando.   Actually, it’s probably the best theme park ride I’ve ever been on - - the best one in the world."            

Islands of Adventure = Oh hell yeah!   

The Dueling Dragons... BEST roller coaster ride in the world (and I've been to 3 different Six Flaggs theme parks)!
    Avatar image for spider_man_2996
    spider-man 2996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#4  Edited By spider-man 2996

really looking forward to it

Gennadius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Gennadius

Why do people have so much problems with the glasses 
    Uhhh the previous guy sweated on these uhhh I cant see clearly uhh they look stupid uhh they smell weird. 

STFU and enjoy the movie/ask for another pair of glasses. 
    Zghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Zghost

Personally when I have to wear glasses i get headaches, regardless of 3d or prescription, as for the not having to wear glasses def hit up the guys from tested and ask them how they felt about the nintendo 3ds.  That is a handheld 3d portable system that does not require 3d glasses.

OldManDuncan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By OldManDuncan

3d Contact lenses?

Avatar image for graphiccasualfreak
    GraphicCasualFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 113

User Lists: 2

I'm all for 3D movies without glasses.  I would probably even pay more. Wait, I probably shouldn't have said that. Oh well..

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By joshmightbe

I get intense headaches from the glasses every time i'd love not needing them  

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By Gambit1024

3D movies without the glasses... Can that actually be done?

Mr. Kamikaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mr. Kamikaze

I love islands of adventure, I live like 20 minutes away from it and my mom works there part time (at the Spider-Man shop, no less) and Yes. The Spider-Man Ride is truly epic. And I have to agree, Dueling Dragons is the best Roller Coaster (though its not called Dueling Dragon's anymore I don't think...its been converted to Harry Potter theme)

Avatar image for mr_hulk_smashin__
    Mr.Hulk_Smashin'!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@Tom Pinchuck: It's a reboot, not Spider-Man 4.

Cherry Bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Cherry Bomb

3D contacts! :D 

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Magian

If this can be done, good for them. I have a huge problem with the 3D glasses and my normal glasses..

spidey 15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By spidey 15

Yey.... no 3D glasses that always hurts my nose. 
    =D

Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By Jotham

Living? We're partying in the future! WHOO!

JimmyKudo09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JimmyKudo09

Wouldn't watching a 3D movie without glasses basically be like watching a Hologram?

Agent Buttons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Agent Buttons
    @Cherry Bomb said:
    "  3D contacts! :D  "
    D=<!!
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @Cherry Bomb said:
    "  3D contacts! :D  "
    My thoughts exactly. xD
    Avatar image for silver_knight75
    Silver Knight75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By Silver Knight75

@Duncan said:

"3d Contact lenses? "

the last one to use them might of had pink eye
    Avatar image for boom_goes_the_dynamite
    Boom_goes_the_dynamite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No 3D glasses, this IS the future.   Whats next hover boards and hover cars as well as buildings in the lower stratosphere where the floors move and treadmills are outside and with one slip I can fall to my death.  COOL!

Also YAY! no glasses, I already wear glasses and adding 3D glasses on top ruins the experience.  But anyway I hope it looks good if not well I won't be surprised, I'll just say that much. 

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DH69

Hey here's an idea hollywood people START WORKING ON 4D DAMN IT!!!!!

Nightshade50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By Nightshade50

Actually, we do have the technology to do that, and it can easily be done. All you have to do is use the same technology of the 3D glasses's lens, and apply that in front of the screen. That way you won't need the glasses.

scourgexlvii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By scourgexlvii
    @jimmykudo09 said:
    " Wouldn't watching a 3D movie without glasses basically be like watching a Hologram? "
    not quite. A hologram exists in space, with the light forming a hologram, which can be perceived from different depths and different locations as if it were a solid object, since well, it, more or less, is an incorporeal version of the object, formed by light. A 3d image is different in that it is made by each eye seeing a different image, thus tricking the eye's depth perception into seeing the objects at different depths, so certain objects, like flying shrapnel are perceived as flying out of the screen, while a door at the end of an absurdly long, creepy hallway, is perceived as receding deeply. If observed at a different angle, it doesn't make the video change the angle, and in many cases, it messes up the effect, rendering the film unwatchable, or at least difficult to watch. 

Glasses-less 3d is do able, and can be seen in projects, such as the upcoming Nintendo 3ds, and various upcoming HD Televisions. This effect is done by angling the projections of the images shown such that only one eye can correctly view each image, making the effect work. Unfortunately, this working in a Movie Theater setting is rather unfeasible, since it relies on the viewer being in one general position, something that works for a handheld system, like the 3ds, or a TV, when viewed from a couch, or something with an immobile, rather concentrated viewers' area. A Movie Theater makes use of a huge space for viewers, so it's difficult to see it working well. 

As for 3d as a whole, even if it were no more expensive than normal movies, I'd still be on the fence about it. It's got some positives, in that it helps immerse you better in the experience, but that is weighed against the problems with the entire concept that take you out of the experience. One of those problems is the glasses that constantly remind you that the effect is fake. In the Glasses-free variety, that effect is removed, however some other effects remain: blurriness, the Headaches associated with the technology, the fact that substandard CGI can appear too far out of the screen, or too deep, ect. The fact that it is significantly more expensive than 2d movies makes me dislike the concept entirely, and I hope that they don't phase out to showing 3d movies solely in 3d too quickly.
    Avatar image for reversenegative
    ReverseNegative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By ReverseNegative

Hmmm... Interesting.

Bergquist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#26  Edited By Bergquist

hate 3d movies, but if you can watch it without the glasses, that might be interesting    

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.