Could Spider-Man actually be a mutant?

#1 Posted by mewmdude77 (993 posts) - - Show Bio

I know that Marvel has said he isn't, heck, his tagline was Greatest non Muntant super hero during the Nineties after all! But, wouldn't it be a fun story for Spidey to figure out he actually is a secret mutant? With his mystic background where he was always destined to be Spider-Man, I think you can consider him a mutant. For the Science background story, I think theres a way he could still be a mutant. Nowadays, radioactivity is used in radiotherapy to cure cancer. Maybe when the radioactive spider bit Peter, it didn't transfer powers, the radioactivity caused mutant genes to kickstart all of a sudden, in a way to help build Peter's body, and immune system.

#2 Posted by Risky (12629 posts) - - Show Bio

Not saying it's a bad idea but it would involve some major retcons as Reed Richards tested him on an X-gene once or twice already and the X-Men had some issues with him not being a mutant before, etc.

#3 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-Man by all means is a meta-human.

#4 Posted by Chaos Burn (1773 posts) - - Show Bio

He isn't a mutant, and I don't think readers would want him to be....

#5 Posted by daak1212 (7901 posts) - - Show Bio

This has already been talked about already in comics. Professor X in laymen terms said it like this "Spiderman is a MUTATE not a MUTANT! There are many Mutates such as the FF. A mutate is someone who's dna was altered such as the FF and Spider-Man"

#6 Posted by Amanthine (80 posts) - - Show Bio

No X-Gene, not mutant. Peter is a genius, he would've noticed. So are Stark, Pym and Richards. They've all examined him.

#7 Posted by Strider92 (16084 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope Peter's not a mutant in fact i've noticed recently he's starting to bear similarities to the Black Tarantula. Both of them are Spider-totems, both of them where "chosen" to bear its powers (Peter via whatever the hell chooses Spider-people and Black Tarantula via his bloodline) and both of their abilities seem to improve the older they get (Peter shedding his skin and gaining the "other" powers and Black Tarantula going from a 25 to an 85 tonner due to his age).

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.