Could Peter Parker still be Superior Spider-man?

#1 Posted by SpideyFan113 (107 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm aware Slott said that the new Spider-man WON'T be Peter Parker but I seriously doubt that. It doesn't make any sense. We all know that what happens in 700 will fundamentally destroy Peter and may (once again) have him give up being the Webhead. Once they announced Superior Spider-man of being "darker" I knew that my prediction of Peter being a more serious Spider-man than before (most likely from the events of 700) was coming to pass...until I heard the "not Peter" thing. Not only is this a bad idea for fans already into the book, but for newcomers as well. The whole point of Marvel NOW is to engage readers already with the comics and newcomers to like the same book. This is obviously thanks to the new movies. So wouldn't it make sense to keep Peter as Spider-man for newcomers so they won't be confused, and for the already fans who hate a Spidey other than Parker?

I dunno, maybe I'm just lying to myself to just believe Peter's still Spider-man or maybe I might actually end up being right. Its just a wrong move in every angle you look at it. Also Dan Slott has commented saying he's read Spider-man since he was 8, why would a writer who's a huge fan of Spider-man make someone else Spider-man in his/her run on the comic. Slott seems perfectly chill about all this, in fact, he's laughed at some of the hate he's been getting. Maybe what he means by Peter not being Spider-man is instead of Peter giving up Spidey this time around, its actually the other way around. The events of 700 have shown Peter that he will never have a normal life, therefore, he gives up being Parker and is Spider-man 24/7. Only using Peter Parker as his way to hide in society, sorta like Batman. That would actually make me laugh like, "Phew! That was close one haha! Okay Slott, you got us man; you got us GOOD!!!"

What do you guys think? Is Slott twisting words around just to get more attention on the book? Is Pete still Spidey? Am I the only one thinking this? Or is Peter bye bye?

P.S. Slott said that Peter might still have a huge role in Superior (what bigger role than Spidey himself? Lol), and Slott has said the guy behind the mask "has serious Spider-man pedigree". I guess people will have to keep guessing till 700 comes out. :/

#2 Posted by ChaosAgent (61 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm hoping that it's still Peter, and that Slott is just trying to add suspense and lead everyone on, but the more rational side of me knows that Slott probably wouldn't pull a move like that.

Looking at that picture...I'm curious, what is that from? Is that some teaser image for 'Superior Spider-Man'? I've been a little out of the loop, and I haven't looked up much about Superior. I can't help but notice those 'claws' he has.

#3 Posted by SpideyFan113 (107 posts) - - Show Bio

@ChaosAgent: Its either a variant for the Superior Spider-man Issue 1 or the cover of Issue 2. I used it cuz its my favorite cover so far.

#4 Posted by nyx (114 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-Man 2099 immediately came to mind when I saw the claws.

#5 Posted by SpideyFan113 (107 posts) - - Show Bio

@nyx: I'm just worried those claws are needed for him to wall crawl. If their weapons, that'd be pretty cool, but what kind of "Superior" Spider-man needs claws to wall crawl? Crossing my fingers for SO many things to go right with this.

#6 Posted by ChaosMarvel (997 posts) - - Show Bio

This theory has come up a lot. Notably by Strider92. He's/She's had some really good theories on why its possible.

#7 Posted by PunyParker (12211 posts) - - Show Bio

IF THEY CHANGE SPIDERMAN CHARACTER I WILL STOP READING!!!

I mean if they make 'im a murdered scumbag(by darker) and with great power comes NO responsibillity.....i honestly wont pick an issue

#8 Posted by mewmdude77 (993 posts) - - Show Bio

I was gonna say maybe it's Hobie Brown, cause he climbed walls with claws like those when he was the Prowler, and Peter has even had Hobie impersonate him before to keep people from discovering his secret, but the issue with that is Hobie is African American, and in one of the teasers, whoever the Superior Spider-Man was is white.

#9 Posted by nyx (114 posts) - - Show Bio

@SpideyFan113: I saw a solicit where he was using the claws to climb. Didn't O'Hara use his claws to climb?

#10 Posted by Lamenoire (193 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder... did Warren Miles ever tried to mix Peter's DNA with his own ? Because these claws are screamin "Jackal" to me...

#11 Posted by verbaleuan (40 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm petty sure the claws are'nt artificial and a new spider-power as in Ramos's variant for issue 1 the are clearly coming out of his fingers like sabretooth

#12 Posted by thespideyguy (2643 posts) - - Show Bio

Look at the feet maybe alpha clone.

#13 Posted by JamesKM716 (1995 posts) - - Show Bio

My hope is a transformed Peter Parker

#14 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

I think maybe Peter "dies" (or he fakes it) on #700 and so he carries a life as just Spider-Man or develops a new identity but stills being him.........

#15 Posted by edictzero (41 posts) - - Show Bio

Would anyone keep reading if it wasn't Parker?

#16 Posted by PunyParker (12211 posts) - - Show Bio

@edictzero said:

Would anyone keep reading if it wasn't Parker?

Personally...i dont know.....issue #1 for sure,but the rest,if it isnt Pete.....i really dont know...

#17 Posted by TheForgotten1 (40 posts) - - Show Bio

peters the man

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.