Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Comic Book Question of the Week VOTING: Why Do You Love Spider-Man?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

k4tzm4n  Moderator

Poll Comic Book Question of the Week VOTING: Why Do You Love Spider-Man? (236 votes)

The costumes! Can't love a character if they look lame. 2%
    His morals and willpower! The dude's a true hero. 43%
    His lighthearted personality always entertains. 27%
    His powers and webbing are just too awesome. 9%
    Don't tell Spidey, but I mostly like him because of his great villains/supporting characters. 8%
    Sorry, I don't love Spider-Man. 11%

Unfortunately, true believers, this is Spider-Man's final week as the Character of the Month (click here to vote for the next character). We've asked you plenty about Spidey's world (favorite writer, villain, movie, etc), but now we're going to ask you a very simple question: why do you love Spider-Man? Might as well celebrate him during his final week, right? Do you love his ability to crack a joke even when his back is against the wall? Do you respect his drive? Do you admire his physicals and the way he web-slings above New York's streets? There's a few options on the poll, so give it a good amount of thought and then cast your vote!

Can't vote right away? Well, there's no need to worry because voting will remain open until Thursday morning (ET). After you select your choice on the poll, jump into the comments and get your elaboration on. Why'd that option earn your support? What does Spider-Man mean to you? Make your post full of enough awesomeness and there's a chance we'll highlight it in the updated feature!

Feel free to make future Question of the Week suggestions in the comments below or via Twitter! Want to continue celebrating Spidey? He's currently in the Batman Battle of the Month (go vote!!!) and we posted his Best Battles, Must Read Stories, and Best Covers. Don't forget to vote for the next Character of the Month, too!

• 
    averywetfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

not really sure what to pick. its not just one thing that makes me love him. isnt there an everything and more option?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 k4tzm4n  Moderator

not really sure what to pick. its not just one thing that makes me love him. isnt there an everything and more option?

I considered it, but I'd much rather make you realllllllllllly think about it and then give a narrow nod to one quality.

ColaNicole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I don't "love" Spiderman like I did when I was a kid. He was one of my childhood heroes alongside Supes and Batman so there will always be a little love there.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had to go way back to 1993 and remember why I liked him in the first place. After all these years it's just kind of a part of me. I'm fairly certain he became my favorite because he was funny.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

He always was able to make me laugh when I first started reading him. He always felt like the best kind of hero to me: fighting for what he knows is right and making everyone feel like it's going to be ok (even if he has made some bad choices in modern times (save him Dan Slott! Make him more than the teen he keeps getting typecast as.)).

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By PunyParker

Sure he appeals to people because of his excellently designed costume,and the fact that he's a wise cracker.

But...

Spider-Man's an everyday guy.Spider-man is someone far away from perfect,and someone who always pays for his mistakes......but that doesn't stop him from trying to prove to the world that doing the right thing is good.He struggles to balance his life as Peter Parker and Spider-Man everyday,and faces obstacles on his every step.

He's a good guy with a strong will and personality.

And the most important thing of all,the moral lesson of Spider-Man is something that can be applied to every human being on the planet,and is the most right thing to do at any given situation you face in your life.

With great Power,comes Great responsibility.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I would say his morals and willpower, Spidey never gives up in the face of adversity. Remember when he fought members of P5 in Magiks realm that was a shining example of willpower.

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

All of the above except the laast one

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Spider-Man's an everyday guy.Spider-man is someone far away from perfect

How so? He's smart, most people love him in comics, he doesn't have any problems with women and he's rich now.
    BB

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker said:

Spider-Man's an everyday guy.Spider-man is someone far away from perfect

How so? He's smart, most people love him in comics, he doesn't have any problems with women and he's rich now.
    BB

The fact that most people love him in the comics,is the reason this thread was created.

And i'm talking aboutt he core of the character,since his creation.
    He wasn't rich when he was created.....and people don't complain that he's in good financial shape ,now,because they are happy that THIS guy is making it great.
    About the women......he's a fictional character,who's "out of suit" life base,is women,so it's natural that women will be a great element in his life.........
    Besides there's only 3 of em.....MJ,Felicia and Gwen....these are the main Parker love interests.The rest are not well known,or recieved.

Hellfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hellfox

I've always loved Spider-Man, he is my all time favorite hero, he can do almost anything he puts his mind to (within his limits).

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
    Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All of the above.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
    Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All of the above except the last one lol.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Avatar image for timelordscience
    TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: yeah, and they're all slamming hot. Mary Jane is a model. Peter Parker is not an average guy at all. He's actually pretty much perfect.

AWeekInGeekdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All of the above except the last one :), he's always been my hero.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: yeah, and they're all slamming hot. Mary Jane is a model. Peter Parker is not an average guy at all. He's actually pretty much perfect.

Well,even she said that he "hit the jackpot"..........

hart7668

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

This right here.

Despite the fact there are far more powerful people that I like (Superman, Goku, Thanos,) Spider-Man's powers have always seemed sooo cool to me. Who doesn't want to stick to walls and "fly" on webs? Also, Spider-Sense doesn't hurt either. He shows that you can be super-powered (even super-powerful) without being a "god" (here's looking at you Thor).

kriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure he appeals to people because of his excellently designed costume,and the fact that he's a wise cracker.

But...

Spider-Man's an everyday guy.Spider-man is someone far away from perfect,and someone who always pays for his mistakes......but that doesn't stop him from trying to prove to the world that doing the right thing is good.He struggles to balance his life as Peter Parker and Spider-Man everyday,and faces obstacles on his every step.

And the most important thing of all,the moral lesson of Spider-Man is something that can be applied to every human being on the planet,and is the most right thing to do at any given situation you face in your life.

saved me typing time. lol

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kriminal said:

@punyparker said:

But...

saved me typing time. lol

Thanks.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
    infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-man's morals and willpower is what got me interested in the character. Spider-man and Batman are the only heroes that live completely selfless lives, and because of that, I always argue for them as being the greatest heroes. I'm sure people would argue that it isn't as heroic to be motivated by guilt, but I disagree. I think it inspires people to be more sympathetic and conscientious of those around them. The fact that Peter deals with a nut job aunt like May Parker, and still remains such a heroic character, is incredibly inspiring to me! "The Kid Who Collects Spider-man," is a showcase for how compassionate of a character he is, and no matter what direction Marvel takes him in the comics, I'll always love him, because of it.

theodixon9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Peter was my first favourite superhero. Before buying the beginning of the Amazing Spider-Man I didn't used to read comics, so the Wall Crawler introduced me into the world of guys with powers in costumes. Although my tastes have moved onto slightly darker characters, there will always be time to flick through the Web-Slinger's books. For some reason, even though I don't particularly love him any more, I can never give up on Spider-Man (which is why I love him). As that's not an option, I've gone with the villains and supporting cast. You've got to admit, folks like J.Jonah Jameson and Flash Thompson are some of the greatest side characters ever. This is probably because, unlike many other series, time is spent focusing on these guys as well.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RustyRoy
    matanui123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By matanui123

I love him for all the aspects listed but the one that amazes me most is the ability to relate to him. I voted for powers they are cool. But his ability to crack jokes is good as well.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why can we only choose one?! Not fair.

BuNKiTZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love everything about Spider-Man, but it's definitely got to be his morals and willpower. It's just so incredibly inspiring and amazing how he never gives up no matter how impossible the odds, and how he always manages to stand back up again after enduring so much pain and loss in his life. I just love Spider-Man so, so much; he's so funny and he's got the coolest powers (I'm more fond of characters with enhanced physicals rather than god-like status like Superman or Batman, so to speak), but this is really what I love the most about him :)

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@hart7668 said:
    No Caption Provided

This right here.

Despite the fact there are far more powerful people that I like (Superman, Goku, Thanos,) Spider-Man's powers have always seemed sooo cool to me. Who doesn't want to stick to walls and "fly" on webs? Also, Spider-Sense doesn't hurt either. He shows that you can be super-powered (even super-powerful) without being a "god" (here's looking at you Thor).

Rainja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I admire spider's will power but i absolutely HATEE(double E's to express my feelings even more) his morals, I hate his and Superman's(Not recently because of doomed)because to me they are totally unrealistic. As spiderman i like his awesome physicals and the sarcastic jokes he makes but what i Love the most is his rogues between him and Batman, they have the best rogues in comics. My personal fav's are Venom(Classic),G.Goblin,H.Goblin,Scorpion,Kraven,Shocker,Hydroman,Sandman,Vulture,Dr. Octopus and Rhino. Just to name a few, These are the only reasons why i even bother with him in the first place. Other than that and his physical prowess and cool suit, peter parker is just as lame as any fictional character can get.

mattman909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None of the above. The best thing about Spidey is that he's a relatable character. Yeah he's got cool powers and a strong ideology but at the end of the day he's at his best when he struggles with real-life problems as well as being a super hero.

Radx_Konkin75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish i could vote multiple, but I voted for his powers. He's just too awesome! :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5967bf6197d40
    deactivated-5967bf6197d40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely his morals. Spidey showed me that no matter how badly life treats you, the most important thing is to keep going and always try to do the right thing by others :-)

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#33  Edited By TheCannon

Definitely his morals. Spidey showed me that no matter how badly life treats you, the most important thing is to keep going and always try to do the right thing by others :-)

This.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

I guess I like him because he's one of the heroes I grew up with.

eldestrisk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

I went with moral and willpower. Spider-Man greatest feature to me at least will always be his origins.

Avatar image for master_of_suprise
    MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

It was a tough call between choice two and choice three for me. I ultimately went with number two because without it we wouldn't have choice number three. He's very relatable and his Morals are what keep him being a hero. If he was an anti-hero his humor wouldn't be the same and he wouldn't have that light hearted personality. It's what makes him your friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man.

Avatar image for thewalkingdeadpool18
    thewalkingdeadpool18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@timelordscience:

That's my problem with Peter. I like Spider-Man and to an extent i like Peter but overall their goal with Peter is to make this average day relatable guy and pretty much instantly in the comics he stops being relatable because he is completely perfect. What's wrong with Peter? What he's screwed up by causing death to love ones? But overall traits how is Peter not perfect? He's smart, he's good looking, he gets alot of girls hot model girls, he makes great money, he is funny, and because of the Spider bite he's super strong and has great reflexes. Now if Peter is just perfect whatever that's the character he's pefect i wouldn't care that Peter is perfect if it wasn't for the fact that comics and fans try to tell you he's not perfect when Peter is pretty damn perfect.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
    RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Sorry, I don't love Spider-Man.

Sighburr_Punk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As of right now, 10% of CV voters have no souls.

tigerex78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted but I really think that there is more than the choices listed. To me the true reason I like Spider-man is he is the everyman. He has issues that normal people have(girl trouble, paying bills, etc.) and still has superpowers. This was a concept that was unheard of in comics until Stan Lee introduced it. It makes him real in a number of ways. He's not like Superman who is from another planet and has a great life, he's not Batman and incredibly rich and able to afford all the gadgets that he uses. He's much more real than those two. He has missed graduation because he forgot to take a class, he has been fired, and many other things. He has to save up for cameras, new webbing material, needs an advance on this month's rent and so on. He faces hatred from so many who are close to him. He does all of this and still does what he does because he knows it is right and does it with a sense of humor. You won't find another hero like him and that is why he is my favorite superhero.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
    Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hart7668

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rulerofthisuniverse said:

Sorry, I don't love Spider-Man.

Why are you in this thread then?

Because it's an option that k4tz has listed. His comment is an exact quote from the option he most likely picked. So he voiced his opinion. The real question is, why are you in this thread?

loljk

vandinejd_1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

He's not my absolute fave character (that would go to Captain America) but he's a pretty cool dude to read in comics, watch movies about, and play video games on.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

..Morals and Willpower....

Outsethero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The reason I love Spider-Man is because he is probably one of, if not the most relatable character I've had the pleasure of growing up with. There is so much about Peter Parker and Spider-Man that I've been able to relate to and, at the same time, can see reflected in everyone around me. Peter Parker himself has so many aspects to his personality that I am sure anyone can find something in him they can relate to, whether it's his quirkiness, his humour, his morals, his intellect, his willpower, his past, and so forth. Not only is he just your every day guy, but the fact that he's so relatable on its own makes it all the more impacting just how much anybody could be Spider-Man, and that's just absolutely amazing.

Spider-Man's origin and his story is one that stands the test of time. You can reimagine or reinterpret it countless times or even put it in a completely different setting and time and it'll give off just a big of an impact as it originally did and keep its core essence. Spider-Man, as has probably been said before, is an ideal. One that shows us that he could be anyone at all, and is proven even more so by the many different "Spider-Men" [Eg. Miles Morales, Miguel O'Hara, etc] who are all their own, separate person with their own set of circumstances and even their own separate time, yet are still Spider-Man through and through!

I may have grown up with Peter Parker, but anyone who has or will grow up with Miles, Miguel, Kaine or any other are and can be just as big of a Spider-Man fan than I am. Spider-Man is an ideal, one that anyone can relate to and feel comfortable with, and that's what I love about him.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.