Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17243 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Comic Book Question of the Week: Favorite Spider-Man Writer

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

It's a big week for Peter Parker. Not only is his latest movie, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, opening in the U.S. (check out our review here), but Spider-Man also has a brand new volume starting this week! To celebrate the popular hero's big news, we want to reflect on his history in comics. We've already discussed our favorite villain in his rogues gallery, but now we want all of you -- yes, that includes you -- to think about all of the talented minds that have made an impact on the wall-crawler's life. We've added 10 names to the poll (plus "other" because adding every single big name would be a mess) and we want to see who your favorite one is.

CLICK HERE TO VOTE! It's what Uncle Ben would want.

No Caption Provided

Need some time to think about all of the web-slinger's stories? Totally understandable and we're not going to make you rush to a conclusion. Voting will stay open until Thursday morning (ET), so hopefully that's enough time for you to give this question a proper amount of thought. After you select a writer, be sure to tell us why the person earned your praise. Make your post awesome enough and there's a chance we'll highlight it in the updated feature. Now, go re-read some Spidey stories and then vote, Viners!

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 opens in U.S. theaters this Friday. Be sure to check the homepage on Thursday for an updated results article!

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Bendis

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Slott

nihilance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Roger Stern...without a doubt

Only one who even comes close is Stan Lee with Ditko and Romita...but only because they were creating from wholecloth.

Bendis and Slott are only riffing on decades old stories.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

Bendis.

Spideyfan3160

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Spideyfan3160

@nihilance: so superior spider-man was a decades old story along with death of spider-man and miles morales.

XxHeavyRainxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I think this question is pretty difficult given that most ComicVine readers haven't read (myself being one of them) the writers who could probably easily surpass those writing the SM now. That said, Bendis is my favorite over Slott. Although I'm very much enjoying Slott.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

I like Slotts's run on Spider-Man. I love Superior Spider-Man, & I really liked Spider-Island, Ends of the Earth & I really really liked New Ways to Die.

Avatar image for thewalkingdeadpool18
    thewalkingdeadpool18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slott without a doubt Superior Spider-Man was the first intresting to happen to Spider-Man in over 5 years. The characters got boring and repetitive before Superior.

fACEmelter88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 5

Who did Grim hunt? And the Ben Reily must die story that introduced Raptor? Kaine was starting to show back up had a beard...

comedy_brosUSA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How does Dan Slott have more votes than Stan Lee? wow. i'm honestly surprised. my only explanation is that all the new readers of superior only know Slott as the writer, so they vote for him.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PunyParker

@comedy_brosusa said:

my only explanation is that all the new readers of superior only know Slott as the writer, so they vote for him.

This is the case......there's no logical explanation on why Slott is more valued than Bendis in recent years,and David,DeMatteis,Lee and DeFalco in general.....

@facemelter88Who did Grim hunt?

Joe Kelly

comedy_brosUSA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comedy_brosusa said:

my only explanation is that all the new readers of superior only know Slott as the writer, so they vote for him.

This is the case......there's no logical explanation on why Slott is more valued than Bendis in recent years,and David,DeMatteis,Lee and DeFalco in general.....

@facemelter88Who did Grim hunt?

Joe Kelly

yeah. I know. Bendis to me, has traits of the Stan Lee era because of his characterization and all. I think Slott is "ok", but he makes Peter too happy. if you've seen the ASM 1 solicits, Peter is all happy and "all I have to do is save a few people, and everyone will love me." Peter to me, is nothing like that. he is never that happy. I thought SSM was supposed to screw things up for Peter when he came back, but he seems have the same "my life is perfect" attitude. oh, btw, Peter's official age is now 28. it's in the solicits for ASM 1. it said "13 yrs ago" and he was a sophomore when it happened. so he's either 28-29. just wanted to let people know if they didn't already see that.

GinjaFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am fairly new to reading comics, and I have only read Ultimate Comics Spider-Man (Bendis) and Superior Spider-Man (Slott). I love both runs, but I prefer Bendis.

Avatar image for thenexusrebound
    thenexusrebound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bendis and that is because of his work with Miles and Peter.

Nerd Of A Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 2

Bendis and that is because of his work with Miles and Peter.

Bendis is the only writer I can think when thinking of doing Spider-Man stories. Apparently, I haven't read enough stories from different writers, but whatever.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah. I know. Bendis to me, has traits of the Stan Lee era because of his characterization and all. I think Slott is "ok", but he makes Peter too happy. if you've seen the ASM 1 solicits, Peter is all happy and "all I have to do is save a few people, and everyone will love me." Peter to me, is nothing like that. he is never that happy. I thought SSM was supposed to screw things up for Peter when he came back, but he seems have the same "my life is perfect" attitude. oh, btw, Peter's official age is now 28. it's in the solicits for ASM 1. it said "13 yrs ago" and he was a sophomore when it happened. so he's either 28-29. just wanted to let people know if they didn't already see that.

Well,give the guy a break,he just got back,and thinks everything's perfect,just cause he's alive.....but if that continues when he is established in the world again,then yeah.

Yeah,i saw the age.....nothing syurprising,i kinda thought he's around there,28-29.

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Roger Stern...without a doubt

Only one who even comes close is Stan Lee with Ditko and Romita...but only because they were creating from wholecloth.

Bendis and Slott are only riffing on decades old stories.

comedy_brosUSA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comedy_brosusa said:

Well,give the guy a break,he just got back,and thinks everything's perfect,just cause he's alive.....but if that continues when he is established in the world again,then yeah.

Yeah,i saw the age.....nothing syurprising,i kinda thought he's around there,28-29.

yeah I know. i'll give it till issue 4.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How does Dan Slott have more votes than Stan Lee? wow. i'm honestly surprised. my only explanation is that all the new readers of superior only know Slott as the writer, so they vote for him.

As long as Slott continues to sell Spider-Man like hotcakes, Marvel will keep him around for as long as he wants to write Spider-Man, which could be as long as Bendis has with Ultimate Spider-Man. The blind loyalty to Slott stems from the fact that he's a successful promoter of Spider-Man, which translates to strong sales. Thus, I feel that Slott can make Spider-Man his life's work for around 20 years max.

comedy_brosUSA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comedy_brosusa said:

As long as Slott continues to sell Spider-Man like hotcakes, Marvel will keep him around for as long as he wants to write Spider-Man, which could be as long as Bendis has with Ultimate Spider-Man. The blind loyalty to Slott stems from the fact that he's a successful promoter of Spider-Man, which translates to strong sales. Thus, I feel that Slott can make Spider-Man his life's work for around 20 years max.

I agree. but I'm not happy to envision Slott still making Spider man comics years from now. but it does seem to be where it is going.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.