Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Cheesy??

Avatar image for omertalvendetta
    Omertalvendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 6

Edited By Omertalvendetta

This isn't meant as a complaint, but more of an observation that I'm sure has been pointed out by many a comic book reader.   

I am in the process of reading Amazing Spider-Man #1-20 since I finally got the Marvel Masterworks stuff, and they are a really hard read.  They're not boring, and I understand the difference in the times, but I have come to the conclusion that my biggest bother is the fact that Stan Lee found it necessary to point out every time Spider-Man or the villains were about to do something.  It's almost as if he felt people aren't smart enough to pick up on what is happening from the art.  I find it kind of insulting, but more than anything, I find it extremely annoying.   

Maybe I'm alone in this, maybe I'm gonna take a lot of heat from this, but that's just how I feel.  Now, I do enjoy the issues and I enjoy Lee's writing (for what it's worth), they just take way too long to finish....  

MattDemers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MattDemers

@omertalvendetta said:

I have come to the conclusion that my biggest bother is the fact that Stan Lee found it necessary to point out every time Spider-Man or the villains were about to do something. It's almost as if he felt people aren't smart enough to pick up on what is happening from the art. I find it kind of insulting, but more than anything, I find it extremely annoying.

That's kinda just Stan Lee, to be honest.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
    @mattdemers

And most Silver Age and Bronze Age comics, really. 

Read some modern stuff. Sure, some stuff is cheesy, but most aren't.
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#3  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

I have the same problem trying to read Claremont's old X-Men stuff. 

It feels like a bad anime, where half the issue is just explaining what happened last time. The constant narrations become extremely jarring.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SC  Moderator

Yes, but you having to point this out about those older comics when its sort of obvious, I mean I already know this, so your pointing this out sort of feels like your insulting my intelligence I mean... annoying as well, and...  

Nah lol, just kidding. Comics try to be layered, and I look at it this way, in those times, they were mainly for kids with a deeper adult subtext, and these days they try and aim for an older audience. Oh actually I find a lot of modern writers having as many annoying writing tics... 

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#5  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

I gave up reading comics published before 1980 for that exact reason like six or seven years ago, there are a few series that I make exceptions for like old DC war comics (Star Spangled War Stories, Unknown Soldier, Sgt. Rock, etc), old kids comics (mostly Disney type stuff) and eventually I plan on reading some Gold Key/Dell stuff like Tarzan, Turok, Magnus, Solar, etc. Further you go back the harder they are to read and I'm sure as I get older that 1980 wall will move up to a 1990 wall cause even some of that stuff is getting harder to read, early Image comes to mind.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#6  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @mattdemers said:

@omertalvendetta said:

I have come to the conclusion that my biggest bother is the fact that Stan Lee found it necessary to point out every time Spider-Man or the villains were about to do something. It's almost as if he felt people aren't smart enough to pick up on what is happening from the art. I find it kind of insulting, but more than anything, I find it extremely annoying.

That's kinda just Stan Lee, to be honest.

this. 

me, im into to all that dynamic, cheesy stuff. but im just a big theatrics guy
    Avatar image for omertalvendetta
    Omertalvendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#7  Edited By Omertalvendetta
    @SC: What modern writers would you say have tics and what are they?  I'm honestly curious.  
    UltraHeroix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By UltraHeroix

It's a different era when comics were read predominately by kids so I understand that things literally had to be spoon fed to be able to follow along.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @omertalvendetta said:
    @SC: What modern writers would you say have tics and what are they?  I'm honestly curious.  

Bendis can often have characters repeat, or use the same words as other characters, under his own pen, like woof, lol and Fraction can do something similar. Repetitive dialogue. His Psylocke I think racked up, like 20 "As you wish" quotes. Bendis often employs Mamet speech. Due to the idea, that every issue may be some ones first, characters still often will reference the relationships they have with characters when they might not if it was real life. Quicksilver probably doesn't need to keep reminding those close to him that Magneto is his father, so in a conversation about Magneto etc but that's more common and less idiosyncratic.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.