Can Spidey wield Thor's Hammer?

#1 Posted by shadow23 (9 posts) - - Show Bio

The title is says it all. As we know, Thor's mystic uru hammer can only be wielded by those "worthy" enough. And the list is small indeed- so far it's only Thor, Beta Ray Bill, Captain America and Wonder Woman (also, Deadpool I think, but can't be certain on that one) that can lift the hammer and harness it's power. But is Spider-Man also one of those people that can lift the hammer? He is a hero who has faced many trials, both physical and psychological, and his notions of responsibility means that he understands that tremendous power must be wielded wisely. But Spidey is also a very human hero, with human flaws and failings. That may prevent him from being "worthy" enough, as of yet. So does Spidey have what it takes to lift one of the most powerful weapons on the planet? Does he have a strong enough of a moral resolve and is of sufficient character to be one of the few to wield the weapon of Thor? Or does he still have some growing to do both as a person and as a hero?

#2 Posted by nickzambuto (13711 posts) - - Show Bio

I would say yes; his greater understanding of responsability being major props, but what with willingly donning the black suit again in "Back in Black" I can't be sure.

#3 Posted by mewmdude77 (993 posts) - - Show Bio

@nickzambuto said:

I would say yes; his greater understanding of responsability being major props, but what with willingly donning the black suit again in "Back in Black" I can't be sure.

I would actually say that was the only time Spidey was really worthy of the hammer. The thing about people like Thor, Captain America, Wonder Woman, and even Deadpool, they do the right thing, but are willing to kill people to save the day. Let me repeat that: Are willing to kill people to save the day. Spider-Man is not worthy of Thor's hammer, because he would never willingly kill someone, even if they were a massive super villain. He's too good natured, and too repsonsible to have Thor's hammer.

#4 Posted by therrieur (245 posts) - - Show Bio

@mewmdude77: Superman lifted it and he's known for not killing anybody.

#5 Posted by JairamGanpat (952 posts) - - Show Bio

@therrieur said:

@mewmdude77: Superman lifted it and he's known for not killing anybody.

not canon

#6 Posted by darthfury78 (869 posts) - - Show Bio

If Spider-Man is able to lift the hammer, it's because his soul could tap into the full strength of its power in ways that Thor can not. While Spidey would not willingly kill anyone, the power of the hammer could be manipulated into a force of nature that can be bent.

#7 Posted by Hoenhime (137 posts) - - Show Bio

@therrieur: That was not cannon. Also it was later revealed that he could only lift the hammer because Odin let him lift it, when he tried to lift it again later he was unable to do so.

#8 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

IMO, I don't think that Spidey can lift Thor's hammer. While there's no question that he is pure of heart (much like Thor, Cap, or even Bill), I think that his inner doubts and insecurities regarding himself might prevent him from wielding Mjolnir. While guys like Cap and Thor do occasionally falter, for the most part, they have enough conviction in their own choices and always follow through on them. That's what makes them leaders. Spider-Man on the other hand, will worry if he's 'doing the right thing', and personally, I think that that's what prevents him from being 'worthy'.

Of course this is all just conjecture on my part, and might be total poppyco** for all I know. Far as I'm aware, there has been no instance in comics where Spidey tried picking up Mjolnir. In the future he might succeed, but for now I'll stand by my opinion.

#9 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

Current Spider-Man wouldn't. The real Spider-Man however I think should be able to, not that I see any point in it happening plot-wise.

#10 Posted by JimTheSurfer (560 posts) - - Show Bio

@mewmdude77 said:

@nickzambuto said:

I would actually say that was the only time Spidey was really worthy of the hammer. The thing about people like Thor, Captain America, Wonder Woman, and even Deadpool, they do the right thing, but are willing to kill people to save the day. Let me repeat that: Are willing to kill people to save the day. Spider-Man is not worthy of Thor's hammer, because he would never willingly kill someone, even if they were a massive super villain. He's too good natured, and too repsonsible to have Thor's hammer.

Exactly. I still see "Maximum Carnage" story arc in my nightmares...

#11 Posted by Ninjablade09 (3167 posts) - - Show Bio

No he is not willing to kill no matter the cost. He even thinks that ,no matter who it is, if some one dies he failed.

#12 Posted by Teerack (6456 posts) - - Show Bio

@mewmdude77: Cap doesn't kill.

#13 Posted by mariioow (45 posts) - - Show Bio

@Teerack: He's a soldier and well he fought in WWII so I don't think he hadn't killed anyone

#14 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33495 posts) - - Show Bio
@Teerack: Cap's killed loads of pepole 
#15 Edited by Teerack (6456 posts) - - Show Bio

@mariioow: @Jonny_Anonymous: Only in times of war.

#16 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33495 posts) - - Show Bio
@Teerack: he was still willing to do it
#17 Edited by Teerack (6456 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous: Spider-man has never been in a war, so who's to say how that would go down.

Also in Spider-Man 700....

There is also the whole "Back In Black" story line where he brutally beat the Kingpin and told him if Aunt May died he was coming back and was going to kill him in a pretty intense way. And I really think Peter would have done it when the next thing he did was make a deal with the devil, so he clearly was willing to do anything.

#18 Posted by mariioow (45 posts) - - Show Bio

@Teerack: Yeah now that you mention it, if Peter gets his body back he should be worthy to lift Thor's hammer but in some issue of Thor it is said that Odin has to give his blessing or something like that for it to happen.

#19 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33495 posts) - - Show Bio
@Teerack: saying your going to kill someone and doing it are to very very different things also that thing with Ock isn't the same, he would have been letting him die of natural causes not killing him himself.
#20 Posted by captain_oblivious (102 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-Man/Peter Parker has self doubt about his abilities and whether or not he is doing the right thing. This lack of confidence in himself is why he wouldn't be able to lift Thor's hammer. He is worthy but because he wouldn't think it himself, he wouldn't not be able to lift it.Compare with the others who were successful- leaders who were confident and inspired confidence in others. I think the only time I saw Spidey lead was in ASM 650 or so when he lead the Avengers in fight some of Doc Ock's giant robots. And that's only because they let him.

#21 Edited by Teerack (6456 posts) - - Show Bio

@mariioow: That's defiantly not the case because when Beta Ray Bill picked up the hammer Odin wasn't expecting it. So being worthy is all you need and Odin doesn't have to personally give you his blessing. Though it can worth the other way where he deems you unworthy.

@Jonny_Anonymous: And no he wouldn't of. He would of been ending his life earlier. Although Ock would die anyway soon him jumping out of the building ends it. That's kind of how it's explained word for word....

@captain_oblivious: I agree with you. I didn't even think about that.

#22 Posted by SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 (6487 posts) - - Show Bio

@shadow23:

I think so. He would handle the responsibility better than Thor. Still, the most ideal person to hold that thing is Superman.

#23 Posted by Thorcules (68 posts) - - Show Bio

No I don't think he can.

#24 Posted by Pyrogram (38713 posts) - - Show Bio

No, he is unwilling to kill for a start, so he is not a warrior, and that has been shown to be a consistent reason to hold the hammer.

#25 Posted by Neogamebuddy (34 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack: but in the same issue when ock gets all of spidermans memories Peter said that even after all that he would save Dr.octopuses life

#26 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

hell no

#27 Posted by Strider92 (16523 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack said:

@mariioow: @Jonny_Anonymous: Only in times of war.

Not true. He killed Baron Blood outside of war:

#28 Posted by spider11211 (1141 posts) - - Show Bio

NO!

photo dImyJ.gif

#29 Edited by AlKusanagi (605 posts) - - Show Bio

@strider92: Vampires don't count. They're already dead.

#30 Posted by muhabba (299 posts) - - Show Bio

The inscription on Thor's hammer reads, "Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor". Thor is the God of Thunder and a god of Warriors. The inscription on Thor's hammer was put there by Odin because Thor was acting like a entitled twit and needed to be taught a lesson. Only a true and noble warrior can lift the hammer, not just a pure of heart good guy but a true warrior. And while I loves me some Spidy he has never been a warrior, a hero yes, but not a warrior. So I say no.

#31 Posted by angelalfonso (1041 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that Peter could lift it (not that he ever would) because he is a noble, humble and pure hearted hero.

#32 Posted by darthfury78 (869 posts) - - Show Bio

Peter might be able to lift Thor's hammer as the Man-Spider because in that form, he would have no doubts about himself and would be able to use that power against Mephisto. The hammer would play a vital role in Peter's freedom since he is currently in Hell. At least, his soul is in the hands of Mephisto.

#33 Posted by angelalfonso (1041 posts) - - Show Bio

@darthfury78:

NO, it’s NOT…… Mephisto clearly stated that peter soul was disgusting to him (Peter soul is to pure and noble), that is why he ask for his marriage instead

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.