Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17241 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Can Spider-Man be grim and gritty?

• 75 results
    laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@strider92: Grim Hunt and Back in Black Spider-Man are great choices.

You could also have the sin-eater arc as well as the non-cannon Spider-Man Reign too :)

if done well yes, but it should be for an arc or so. no more than.

Or you can have what-if Spin-Offs

TekTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

No Caption Provided

short answer......yes.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By HumanRocket

It doesn't fit with spidey/Pete. He's not a batman personality type.

wanonalake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@thehulk said:

Hulk not so sure. When Hulk was watching Amazing Spider-Man, Hulk was like, "Jeez, do you need to be so dark. This isn't Titanic or Dear John. It's freaking Spiderman. Lighten up a little."

hehehehe... i like your profile.

Anyway. Yeah, of course he can. Merc spiderman is pretty grim. He even killed a guy. Just, shot him in the face.

No Caption Provided

Yes, that's spiderman. I think it was from "The Spider That Went Into the Cold."

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes but very rarely.

-m3th.O.D.-

tikhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For an arc or two a darker Spiderman book works but not as a full time thing.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Wasn;t it the point of Adjective-less Spiderman

july16th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By july16th

@innervenom123 said:

@rulerofthisuniverse said:

HAHAHAH! AHAHAhahahaahHHh! HhhahahahhHahaHahHh-hhHHAHAHAHA! HAAhhaaAHHahHh-aahhahhahHaaHA! HAHAHA-hahahaHahaAHAHAAH! HAHAHAHAHhahaahhhaaaaahahahhHaAHHAAHAHhahah! HAHAHahaha! AHAHAHahahahhhhaaahaaahah! hahahaHHahahaHahaahHahaHA! AHahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.......

No.

@guardian_of_gravity said:

Could it be done? Yes

Should it be done? No.

@spideysense44 said:

It could but should not

Spider-man: Death of Jean DeWolffe.

Spider-man: Kraven's Last Hunt.

Spider-man: Back in Black.

Spider-man: Grim Hunt.

You'll notice that these stories, A) exist, and B) are awesome.

EXACTLY! Those are awesome stories! Honestly, spiderman's life is quite grim and gritty to begin with if you think about it. I've felt touched by them on more than one occasion!

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By tigerkaya

Screw grim and gritty or light hearted and happy. I just want a good quality written story dammit with an in character Peter Parker personality.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

@july16th said:

@punyparker said:

@innervenom123 said:

@rulerofthisuniverse said:

HAHAHAH! AHAHAhahahaahHHh! HhhahahahhHahaHahHh-hhHHAHAHAHA! HAAhhaaAHHahHh-aahhahhahHaaHA! HAHAHA-hahahaHahaAHAHAAH! HAHAHAHAHhahaahhhaaaaahahahhHaAHHAAHAHhahah! HAHAHahaha! AHAHAHahahahhhhaaahaaahah! hahahaHHahahaHahaahHahaHA! AHahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.......

No.

Could it be done? Yes

Should it be done? No.

@spideysense44 said:

It could but should not

Spider-man: Death of Jean DeWolffe.

Spider-man: Kraven's Last Hunt.

Spider-man: Back in Black.

Spider-man: Grim Hunt.

You'll notice that these stories, A) exist, and B) are awesome.

EXACTLY! Those are awesome stories! Honestly, spiderman's life is quite grim and gritty to begin with if you think about it. I've felt touched by them on more than one occasion!

Why there are not many people like you!

Avatar image for guardian_of_gravity
    Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@july16th: He's still a guy in a ridiculous get up. While I like him being taken seriously, I don't see how he can be made as dark as batman. Any attempt would just seem like trying too hard. Maybe for an arc or two, but reinventing him to be Grimdark would be incredibly silly.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@july16th: He's still a guy in a ridiculous get up. While I like him being taken seriously, I don't see how he can be made as dark as batman. Any attempt would just seem like trying too hard. Maybe for an arc or two, but reinventing him to be Grimdark would be incredibly silly.

How is a guy with a cape any better off for being taken seriously?

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I don't want dark and gritty! Too many comics are dark these days, please leave Spidey with some lighter moments! We cant all be Batman and I don't want everyone to be modelled on the dark knight!

Avatar image for guardian_of_gravity
    Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spider11211: Spiderman can be taken seriously, but he really shouldn't be Grimdark, not permanently anyway. Leave that for Judge Dredd and Batman.

Besides, way too many comics don't know how to have fun with themselves anymore.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spider11211: Spiderman can be taken seriously, but he really shouldn't be Grimdark, not permanently anyway. Leave that for Judge Dredd and Batman.

Besides, way too many comics don't know how to have fun with themselves anymore.

Trust me I agree I am not a fan of the current direction of the book.

kcjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just like most here have said, dark stories in which Peter is pushed to his emotional limits, or have a darker tone are cool. However, Peter deep down is an optimist, and persistant darkness just would not work with him.

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

I like some dark Spider-Man stories but I don't want all Spider-Man stories to be dark. If they were the character would lose something and I'm not sure if his comics would be as enjoyable.

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

Ironically I consider a Bat book one of the funnest comics on the market right now.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Just write a good story.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Like I said, I didn't mean that Peter would take like Frank Miller Batman, that Mary Jane is a cheating crackwhore, Aunt May gets raped by Doc Ock, and Harry Osborn has AIDS. I meant, maybe his "darkness" is meant to intimidate the criminals in a funny way, laughing at a guy who pees in his pants, and then kicking in the nuts.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

The character has surrounded by death and misfortunes since his conception.

Seems like a dark character to me.

BB

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like I said, I didn't mean that Peter would take like Frank Miller Batman, that Mary Jane is a cheating crackwhore, Aunt May gets raped by Doc Ock, and Harry Osborn has AIDS. I meant, maybe his "darkness" is meant to intimidate the criminals in a funny way, laughing at a guy who pees in his pants, and then kicking in the nuts.

That would give me a chuckle.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

july16th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How is a guy with a cape any better off for being taken seriously?

yeah. I feel like just because he usually maintains a sense of humor while fighting, it might be able for one to deduce that he's a cheery and happy go lucky guy..but he just isn't. The death of Gwen Stacy was one of the significant comics that marked the end of the silver age and brought on a darker take all together. If you know parker......or ben....or kaine...... lol you would know that nothing goes right and you always loose the people close to you and find out your a failure of a clone etc. I could spend weeks going over how the life of peter parker is nothing light hearted. Even in the earlier comics, with the happy go lucky-stan lee, most of them end with him walking off into the night with his head down.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.