Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Can Aunt May Die Already?

gerald2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By gerald2

I know that age is flexible in comic years but holy shit I have had enough of Aunt fucking May. Every depiction of her shows this 30 pound skeleton which by some miracle is still alive and well. On top of that, she isn't a compelling character as she is a plot device. "OH, I HAVE TO SAVE AUNT MAY!" No you don't, she's well into her 80's now, let the old hag die.

She served her purpose as Peter's surrogate mother and moral compass since the comic's inception. After 40 odd years, I think it's time for her to go. Peter is a grown man and parents/legal gaurdians do not live forever, it's almost as if the writers think he won't know how to wipe his own ass without her. Can't we give the guy some credit and take off the training wheels?

ENOUGH.

spidey 15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By spidey 15

The thing is, most people believe she is way too old when they ignore the fact that when we saw her for the first time in Amazing Fantasy, she could very well be in her mid 60s. Of course i'm not sure if her age was ever mentioned but if it wasn't, then i think my assumption could be correct. So now, she wouldn't be that old that it needs a miracle to live.

But i agree that she needs to die. She was always an important character and i really like her( she kind of reminds me my grandma ) but eventually she needs to die. It would not only make for a nice change in spidey's life and character, but it would also make sense.

:)

BringnIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BringnIt

Did you stop reading Spider-Man comics before Slott or something? She is hardly a pivotal character during his tenure. I've liked her role ever since JMS's run.

spidey 15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By spidey 15

@BringnIt said:

Did you stop reading Spider-Man comics before Slott or something? She is hardly a pivotal character during his tenure. I've liked her role ever since JMS's run.

I don't think that's really his point. Yeah, she is hardly involved now, but she is still there and she can still affect Pete in anyway. I think that's the OP's problem with her.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By TDK_1997  Online

I think that she is a great character and if she dies things would get really interesting with SPidey.Even more than they are now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
    deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

I reckon her death could be part of the big changes due for Spider-Man in Amazing Spider-Man #700

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By Strider1992

@guttridgeb said:

I reckon her death could be part of the big changes due for Spider-Man in Amazing Spider-Man #700

Well its possible considering Doc Ock has something to do in the lead up to ASM 700 (Dying Wish Arc). He rediscovered Pete's identity according to the previews and unless i'm much mistaken he had a thing for Aunt May at one point right?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
    deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

@Strider92: Exactly. Plus 50 years ago Spidey lost his uncle and underwent massive changes because of it. It would make sense for a similar thing to happen to Aunt May

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By renamed040924

Pete would have a nervous breakdown if Aunt May died, only to the proportion of a spider.

VenomGoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By VenomGoblin

She's actually dead.I can hardly remember what happend.It was in the civil war.Something happend thrue jail.I think kingpin phoned an assasin and hired him for killing spidey's wife.And then marry jane just walks by the window quickly with aunt may on her back and the shot was at aunt may's chest and the comic ends with peter shouting and aunt may crying in blood.As it goes spidey gets darker and darker.He was like batman in some comics.He grabbed scorpion throwed him on a wall and told him he would get him drowned by his one blood while both were unmasked.

Gonzo33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Gonzo33

The new Avenging Spider-man, the last panel kind of leaves you with a 'oh, she dead' feeling.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By PowerHerc

No.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By joshmightbe

I honestly thought she should've died when Kingpin put out the hit, at the end of Back in Black it left the impression that yea Spidey would have been changed but he was starting to work through it. His decision not to kill Kingpin after beating the living s**t out of him proved he could stop himself before he went to far.

JohnnyWalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JohnnyWalker

if she dies, peter will just make another deal with mephisto. no problem. hell just give up his balls this time. its not like hes using them. 'oh no the old 90 something dust bag is going to die. i wont take responsibility even though thats my motto and spewing it every chance i have. ill just give up the woman i love, my marriage to the devil so i can sleep well at night. boo hoo'

spidey 15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By spidey 15

@JohnnyWalker: Don't you think that your overreacting a bit? I mean, that wasn't even Peter, it was Quesada formed into Peter. A decent spider-man writer that knows how to write a decent spider-man, should know the basics about how to write someone's personality. Quesada wasn't decent enough, thus he made Pete acting completely out of character. Dan Slott on the other hand, who writes an amazing Peter, i guess he wouldn't go at this point to write something completely different from what spidey is supposed to be.

JohnnyWalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JohnnyWalker

@spidey 15: im not overreacting. thats how spider-man is. ever since his conception. its all been about what he has to do to make up for his mistakes so he can sleep well at night. the only one that he took responsibility for is the death of someone. because he cant undo it. well until recently. now he has the devil to do that. dan slott is very good because he doesnt touch on that.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Strider1992

@spidey 15: Dan Slott was part of the creative team that came up with OMD lol.

spidey 15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By spidey 15

@JohnnyWalker: Trying to do something for your mistakes is a form of responsibility. But Quesada thought that making deals with the Devil was something responsible. And that was the only time it ever happened and everybody that knows spidey by reading his comics, should know that it was just stupid writing. If that was indeed part of spidey's character to make up for his mistakes in such a way( as you have stated ) where was Mephisto when Gwen died?

@Strider92: It seems i've missed that but when was that stated. To my knowledge, Quesada and JMS were the writers of the story arc.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
    Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Guardiandevil83

I agree. Spider-man has lost loved ones before and I doubt he would make a deal with a Demon to bring them back. I thought that the Op was being cruel, but now that I think about it...Maybe she does need to die.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Strider1992

@spidey 15 said:

@Strider92: It seems i've missed that but when was that stated. To my knowledge, Quesada and JMS were the writers of the story arc.

By Slott himself during an interview. I'll link it when I can find it.

spidey 15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By spidey 15

@Strider92: I see. You don't need to bother yourself for that. It's not like you have any reason to lie about it :P

But anyway, my point was not specifically about Slott. Him as a writer is truly great enough and he writes spidey so well that such a mistake doesn't make him any less decent. The whole point i was trying to make was the OMD was a stupid arc ( even if it was Quesada's or Slott's idea ) and had Peter completely out of character to even consider it valid. As many mistakes as Pete had been doing, he was never the character to make a deal with an evil creature and he never did in order to solve them.

Avatar image for samuel_larson_10
    samuel_larson_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By samuel_larson_10

@Guardiandevil83 said:

I agree. Spider-man has lost loved ones before and I doubt he would make a deal with a Demon to bring them back. I thought that the Op was being cruel, but now that I think about it...Maybe she does need to die.

you sir are a monster

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
    Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Guardiandevil83

@samuel_larson_10 said:

@Guardiandevil83 said:

you sir are a monster

Sorry but it is true. Spider-man will never evolve into anything more then the kid who's Aunt can't survive without him, unless she is removed. She kind of stumps his growth and development.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.