Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17243 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Batman or Spider-Man - Who's the better hero?

• 107 results
    KingOfKings1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Batman saved the multi-universe from Darkseid nuff said

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Spiderman saved the universe and the avengers from thanos.

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Man.

Avatar image for currentthor2015
    CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dalwih said:

I gotta go with Spider-Man. They both beat the baddies, stop bank robberies, have dealt with Organized crime on multiple occasions, psychopaths, blah blah blah. But Spider-Man is more of a friend and inspiration to the people, so much to the point that he's seen as the heart of New York. Spider-Man is the kind of hero who would save a kid from bullies, help an arguing married couple come to terms, he's there for the people and spreads a kind of warmth Batman doesn't.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By SilverPool

Punching criminals because your parents are dead and it makes you feel better isn't very heroic.

Avatar image for thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin
    Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spiderman, no question :)

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Punching criminals because your parents are dead and it makes you feel better isn't very heroic.

Batman is beyond that as a superhero. He stands for protecting the innocent and saving the honest from evil and corruption.

OkPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So a sociopath that can't get over his parents death vs a friendly neborhood hero. Got to go with spiderman

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It really comes down to what era.

In the past, both have done great feats and accomplishments that all acknowleged them for, but presently...well...Marvel has not been the kindest to Spider-Man.

If looking at this from a current view, Bruce Wayne would be victorious. Peter has become a billionare like Bruce but has lost the strength and power of being a hero in favor of....I don't even know what...he's just a mess.

Meanwhile, Bruce continues to remain that hero he has always been. He remains a father, teaching his young wards how to grow and survive in a very dark world. He attempts to adapt to any situation. He is always there to grant advice to others. He sometimes goes out of his way to ensure his allies are okay. He never stops asking questions. And he has looked deep into himself and has decided to start a permanent commitment with Selena Kyle, now all that remains is her reply to his marriage proposal.

Batman has never stopped growing which is very impressive and showcases they are plenty of other adventures abound.

If this was the past, Peter Parker would have probably won. A hero with great power but always held onto great responsibility to do the right thing. He lived his life with that saying and taught it to others. Though he tended to be granted a bad hand and saw horrific tragedy, he always remained optimistic and sweet. He may remain guilt ridden but he also never stops at trying to find happiness for his loved ones and a bit for himself. He was a moral compass to many and someone many heroes could ask for help from. He would even face opponents that he could not win, only for the sake of protecting others. He is selfless and always remained humble.

Sadly, this does not exist anymore, unless we count AUs.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
    blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@itsaworld: lol what? Batman is a better hero because he takes care of his son and proposed to Carwoman? Does that make any sense, even to you?

Anyways, Peter is a much better hero. He has all of Bruce's resources, but instead of Harding his wealth, he freely gives it up to help others in need, all around the globe (through the Uncle Ben Foundation). He recognizes that it is important to put people before profits, which is why he has risked his personal success as an engineer and CEO time and time again to help others, whether it was saving the world from the Carrion virus or overthrowing a corrupt government that no one else cared enough to help. He continues to be his fellow heroes, whether it is Mockingbird, or Deadpool, or Iron Man, and he does all this out of a sense of responsibility, not a misguided desire for vengeance.

sazuke2497

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Man easily

StrongTower7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By StrongTower7

SPIDER-MAN ALL THE WAY. While Batman uses his Rothschild-level wealth to create a Batwing, Batmobile, Batcave, his fancy high-tech suits, and comes back home to his butler, Spider-Man can't even pay rent for his apartment but he still saves NY 10 times over on a routine basis. Batman (and a lot of DC characters) lack a quality of relatability that Marvel so perfectly portrays, with Spider-Man being the best example IMO. Aquaman is a king. Shazam, albeit a 10 year old boy, is a god. Superman, albeit a farmer and reporter, is perfect in every way and keeps getting more perfect as the decades go by. Batman is a billionaire. Wonder Woman is a princess. Flash and Green Lantern are more relatable, so it's no wonder why they are such good buddies. They're exceptions and my two favorite DC characters.

You don't need to be a king, a god, a billionaire, a princess, or just straight up perfect in every way to be a great superhero.

Peter humiliating Kingpin in front of hundreds of inmates is a perfect representation of why Peter is so great: he has real power that the big shots of this world will never have, and uses it to keep those people in check that otherwise wouldn't be able to be kept in check. He is like the prophet who gives warnings to a king. The prophet may not have the political power of the king, but he has divine power that will always be on his side of history. Only he gets to talk to the king like that and reminds the king that his power will never be as big as his ego. Of course, Peter is not divine and he doesn't associate with anything divine but what he does is similar.

No Caption Provided

deathstroke512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman for me anyday

deathstroke512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By deathstroke512

@okperson: @silverpool: Who is better hero is completely your opinion but how does the fact that batman's parents are dead makes him any less of a hero?

If you make the case that bruce would never become batman if his parents never died than same can be said about peter that he would never become spiderman if the spider never bit him.

If batman's parents were alive he still would probably have become a great person considering his father was a doctor and worked for free in gotham hospital.

And why does it matter if he can't get over his parents death.It's a really bad event and can scar a person for his whole life even if he has immeasurable wealth.Bruce could have turned evil as easily or wouldn't care about anything at all and become the playboy he acts to be or could have left the corrupt city and pursued whatever he would have wished and the list is really long but instead he chooses to save his city and the world .And you do know ,right that batman tries to save everyone no matter if they are parents in an alley or a child or some old guys or even the criminal himself.He does wants the criminal to suffer but not all innocent people related to him and that's why he doesn't kill.

And for the reason that he does it for his parents death is because he can understand what he has lost and thus fueled by its motivation would try his best to save someone no matter what it comes down to even if it is his own life and that pain of loss is something that I believe an inspirational friendly neighborhood hero would not understand unless he feels it.

And what I stated isn't heroic enough then we have different definitions of heroes.Spiderman is a great hero but comparing heroism is really stupid as there is no measure for heroism.

@strongtower7:

"SPIDER-MAN ALL THE WAY. While Batman uses his Rothschild-level wealth to create a Batwing, Batmobile, Batcave, his fancy high-tech suits, and comes back home to his butler,

Batman has to use that rothschild level of wealth because he didn't get powers handed to him.For whatever he is he had to work really really hard for it.

Spider-Man can't even pay rent for his apartment but he still saves NY 10 times over on a routine basis.

He is a scientist right? Then why can't he pay the rent and what is with the threads about peter being richer than batman.

Batman (and a lot of DC characters) lack a quality of relatability that Marvel so perfectly portrays, with Spider-Man being the best example IMO."

If I was looking for relatibility than I would have picked up documentaries or biographies.

Aquaman is a king. Shazam, albeit a 10 year old boy, is a god. Superman, albeit a farmer and reporter, is perfect in every way and keeps getting more perfect as the decades go by. Batman is a billionaire. Wonder Woman is a princess. Flash and Green Lantern are more relatable, so it's no wonder why they are such good buddies. They're exceptions and my two favorite DC characters.

You don't need to be a king, a god, a billionaire, a princess, or just straight up perfect in every way to be a great superhero.

Aquaman is a king,Shazam is god,Superman is perfect,Wonder woman is princess,batman is rich,flash is the chosen one with superpower and green lantern is the one with willpower.And you think they all protect the world because they have powers while spiderman is just some powerless meta who saves the world and can't pay rent.lol. What kind of logic is this.Well if that's the case then please suggest me some comics where spiderman saves the world(NY) without his powers.As for batman being rich,well I can show scans of batman without his fancy suits and vehicles or butler still helping people.All other mentioned superheroes save the world from planetary threats.And how is hulk,iron man,thor,dr strange,even spiderman himself relatable?

Peter humiliating Kingpin in front of hundreds of inmates is a perfect representation of why Peter is so great: he has real power that the big shots of this world will never have, and uses it to keep those people in check that otherwise wouldn't be able to be kept in check. He is like the prophet who gives warnings to a king. The prophet may not have the political power of the king, but he has divine power that will always be on his side of history. Only he gets to talk to the king like that and reminds the king that his power will never be as big as his ego. Of course, Peter is not divine and he doesn't associate with anything divine but what he does is similar.

I don't understand what you are trying to tell here.You think criminals aren't afraid of batman? As for joker,spiderman can beat joker to death or do whatever he wants ,joker will still just laugh.There is no win for the heroes where joker is concerned.And lines like these make spiderman less relatable.

From what I think spiderman can pay rent and live his life as spiderman and that won't make him any less of a hero.

BatmanandRobin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman's for chads while Spider-Man's been a cuck since day one. You can't respect a guy who's so selfish and immature, he's never made himself introspect how he effects other people who are worried and who are oblivious to his secret life. The same secret life he stupidly risks everything to keep his totally risk taking superhero adventures private out of obsessive impulsive rather than think about how much more dangerous he gets his friends and family into his problems with villains without them knowing. Peter prefers to hide like a teenager that made bad grades and has to bring home the report card to aunt may than be a man and prepare and plan for the future as his family and carreer as Spider-Man goes.

Batman is the opposite and has proven despite his shady work and obsessiveness, he's willing to give up his cape and cowl to put all he has to protect his family as he would protect gotham without donning the mask.

MainJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to side with Spider-Man. ?

FantasyConnect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathstroke512: Peter lost his company because he failed to realise that he should probably have backup databases, and he stopped working at Horizon Labs in 2012.

FantasyConnect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batmanandrobin: Nah, Batman is honestly kind of a loser.

He's a multi-billionaire. Put that money to use actually cleaning up Gotham. Oh, and get his mitts on Arkham, make it something that isn't a shitehole. Better yet, build a metahuman supermax complex to house the bloody gang leaders and powered terrorists left free to do whatever the fuck they like.

Far more effective than using your fists to punch people who repeatedly come back again and again.

Like, he's kind of a self absorbed nobjockey.

SuperGoku17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spiderman

JamesWayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

how do you define better?

I could see whey people believe spider-man is, but their reasoning is ridiculous. How does having money make you less of a hero? He has powers, does that make peter less of a hero? It's what you do with your resources that counts, both are great heroes, spiderman has the everyman's "everyday" struggle making him relateable and batman represents human potential, through dedication, perseverance and practice, you have the potential to surpass your limits and achieve any height. Take you pick, they're both great.

Personally I'd choose Bruce, but Peter is an amazing (get it?) hero too.

StrongTower7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By StrongTower7

@deathstroke512: My tone probably came across as hostile, sorry about that. Since I have very specific, fervent reasons for loving Marvel characters so much––especially Spider-Man––I can get a bit passionate about this stuff. To me, this Batman vs. Spider-Man thread is, in some ways, also a compare-and-contrast thread between DC and Marvel. Spider-Man represents so much of what Marvel fans love about Marvel, and Batman represents so much of what DC fans love about DC. That’s kinda why I referenced other DC characters to make argument points even though this thread is only about Batman and Spider-Man. It was just to provide a bigger perspective to why I think the things that I think. Also, I love to make super long posts, so just a heads up for everything below haha:

There's nothing wrong with Bruce being rich.

I didn’t mean to imply that there was anything “wrong” with Batman being rich. Since he is only human, he uses his wealth to surpass his human limitations and, thus, be the best Batman he can be. He is not quintessential Batman without his extremely expensive tech, and there’s nothing wrong with that. I wouldn’t want it any other way.

Batman is not exempt from the "given" vs. "earned" dichotomy.

Bruce does indeed work hard to maintain his wealth, but he also inherited all of it. Not everyone gets to be born into that kind of wealth. That’s why I think it’s fair that someone as rich as Iron Man doesn’t have powers either. If wealth is Bruce’s “enabling factor” to be Batman and Peter’s spider bite was Peter’s “enabling factor” to be Spider-Man, both were still given: not earned.

“BRUCE’S SKILLS = EARNED, PETER’S SKILLS = GIVEN”

Batman had to train to become the renowned fighter he is now, yes, but it’s not all of what makes him Batman. Every superhero has at least one special thing given to them that pushes them into the “super” status. For Peter, it was the spider bite. For Bruce, it was his inherited wealth.

Bruce training hard to be a skilled fighter is a fair balance, in my opinion, since Bruce had the money and resources to not have to worry about responsibilities that most middle-class citizens in America have to deal with (i.e. debt, mortgage, 9-5 job, breadwinner role, providing for loved ones, etc.) In a way, Bruce having to learn combat skills is his version of the “with great power comes great responsibility” theme: he grew up with all the freedom in the world to pursue whatever he wanted wherever he wanted, so it’s fair that he had to learn how to fight to get those skills. Peter doesn’t have the time, money, or freedom to train with the Ra’s al Ghuls of the world and learn dozens of martial arts on his free time. Even Daredevil, who also had to learn how to fight (like Bruce), was able to excel easily because of his heightened senses (a “given” ability), and it was fair because he also underwent a great deal of hardship that would have made it otherwise unfeasible for him to learn how to fight (i.e. blindness, lower class childhood). Thus, I think it’s a fair balance that Bruce had to earn/learn his fighting skills.

What qualities make Spider-Man relatable?

You could argue, “If anything, Peter’s powers should make him even less relatable than Batman.” I think that’s only true if your criteria for relatability is a purely human physicality. Peter’s superhuman physicality is not the aspect of him that’s supposed to be relatable: it’s the problems he faces in his regular life that are so relatable and how he builds character/maturity from them. In my opinion, this relatability “formula” applies to most superheroes as well. And as Peter endures those challenges, it ends up teaching viewers/readers valuable character lessons, too.

Peter always seems like an underdog and seems to have the worst luck, but those circumstances set him up to have to be amazing, which lets his full potential shine through. And then when you think of who’s under that mask, it’s just a kid from Queens who has the same high school crushes so many of us have, has the same boss problems so many of us have, has the same financial struggles so many of us have, has the same single-parent household struggles so many readers have, the same social struggles we had in school, and even the same bully struggles so many readers have. And in addition to all of that, he can’t rely on anyone for emotional support because he needs to keep his identity a secret. Imagine having to constantly let some nobody push you into a locker just to make sure you don’t give anyone any reasonable belief to think you’re Spider-Man? That’s an incredible burden to bear in addition to all the other stuff going on in your young life, and no wonder he feels like a martyr at times.

And when someone like that, someone with so many relatable qualities, has that kind of power, I personally feel like I––along with all of the other readers who relate to his day-to-day experiences––can live vicariously through him. For all the attention and glory that Peter could use his powers for, he chooses not to because he knows that there is a higher purpose for it. In the same way so many black people take pride in Black Panther because of their shared heritage, I feel as though I can take pride in Peter because of how I can identify with his day-to-day experiences, struggles, and deep-rooted beliefs/motivations. He represents nerdy, humble, hardworking kids like me in a badass way. He is willing to put up with so much crap that he can easily squelch, and put aside so many things that he values all because he has the foresight to realize that those sacrifices are worth it to be the Spider-Man NYC needs him to be. Peter Parker represents someone who has gone through these tough, real-life experiences and still has the fortitude to somehow manage both worlds, taking it one day at a time just like the rest of us.

I think Batman’s criteria for relatability is different from Spider-Man’s.

Batman’s relatability stems from him identifying as a human being in the midst of all of these godly beings while Peter’s relatability comes from having to deal with ups and downs that almost everyone can relate to on some level. For me, that makes a more compelling character that I can care about, a character that makes me sad if they die or if their loved ones are in danger. Once I can relate to a character, he comes alive.

Spider-Man isn’t relatable, but Peter Parker is. Bruce Wayne isn’t relatable, but Batman is. That’s how I see it.

What’s the criteria for a “better” hero?

As folks have said multiple times in this thread, it’s all about preference. I should’ve made that clearer in my original post. I personally prefer Marvel characters over DC characters (Spider-Man being my favorite fictional character of all time) because Marvel just seems more straight forward to me. Every time I see a “Batman vs. (insert character here)” battle thread, it seems as though Batman wins, but in a way that is so outside of the box it can’t even be falsified (unless, of course, it’s actually explained by someone).

Marvel characters and story arcs seem to make sure that feats and abilities are consistent with each other. When Spider-Man, Captain America, or Hawkeye pull off insane feats, it’s portrayed in a non-contradictory way that you can both visualize and rationalize. You think, “Wow, I didn’t think Spider-Man could do that, but hey, it makes sense.” For Marvel, ability + scenario = feat; it usually adds up in a coherent manner.

For DC, feats seem to take priority over fundamental on-paper abilities when needed for the plot. Batman should not be able to lay a finger on Superman, but because of plot armor and Batman’s reputation, Superman just never seems to be able to KO him with the flick of a finger. I’m not saying it isn’t cool to watch a mere human being stand up to Superman (I think Frank Miller’s Batman is badass) but it’s just not as believable because the fundamental on-paper abilities of Batman are disregarded for him to be able to stand a chance. When I watched Frank Miller Batman go toe-to-toe with Supes, I thought, “There’s no way a single one of Batman’s punches should be able to hurt Superman, but whatever. It’s really compelling to think about the possibility of that happening so I’ll just not care too much about if it makes sense or not.”

Marvel has the better formula for me. Their ability-feat coherence as well as their compelling under-the-mask characters both amaze me and really grab my emotions in a real way.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
    infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-man.

FantasyConnect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By FantasyConnect

@jameswayne: Bruce doesn't do shit that brings about permanent change with his money, that's the problem. Not him having it, but the fact that he's so self-absorbed as to rather punch criminals at night whilst wearing a silly costume.

JamesWayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fantasyconnect: and Peter doesn't do anything with his mind, the one time he was in a position to change the world was when Ock built.him an empire,.....then he lost it. Puting thousands our of work. Both heroes struggle with demons that on one hand allow them to reach their heights and accomplish the impossible but at the same time hold them back in other regards. For Peter it is guilt for Bruce it is obsession and paranoia.

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By helloman

Spider-Man.

Rock_Hard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont know, but Spiderman is the more interesting character, and that is all that matters.

BJParks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathstroke512: My tone probably came across as hostile, sorry about that. Since I have very specific, fervent reasons for loving Marvel characters so much––especially Spider-Man––I can get a bit passionate about this stuff. To me, this Batman vs. Spider-Man thread is, in some ways, also a compare-and-contrast thread between DC and Marvel. Spider-Man represents so much of what Marvel fans love about Marvel, and Batman represents so much of what DC fans love about DC. That’s kinda why I referenced other DC characters to make argument points even though this thread is only about Batman and Spider-Man. It was just to provide a bigger perspective to why I think the things that I think. Also, I love to make super long posts, so just a heads up for everything below haha:

There's nothing wrong with Bruce being rich.

I didn’t mean to imply that there was anything “wrong” with Batman being rich. Since he is only human, he uses his wealth to surpass his human limitations and, thus, be the best Batman he can be. He is not quintessential Batman without his extremely expensive tech, and there’s nothing wrong with that. I wouldn’t want it any other way.

Batman is not exempt from the "given" vs. "earned" dichotomy.

Bruce does indeed work hard to maintain his wealth, but he also inherited all of it. Not everyone gets to be born into that kind of wealth. That’s why I think it’s fair that someone as rich as Iron Man doesn’t have powers either. If wealth is Bruce’s “enabling factor” to be Batman and Peter’s spider bite was Peter’s “enabling factor” to be Spider-Man, both were still given: not earned.

“BRUCE’S SKILLS = EARNED, PETER’S SKILLS = GIVEN”

Batman had to train to become the renowned fighter he is now, yes, but it’s not all of what makes him Batman. Every superhero has at least one special thing given to them that pushes them into the “super” status. For Peter, it was the spider bite. For Bruce, it was his inherited wealth.

Bruce training hard to be a skilled fighter is a fair balance, in my opinion, since Bruce had the money and resources to not have to worry about responsibilities that most middle-class citizens in America have to deal with (i.e. debt, mortgage, 9-5 job, breadwinner role, providing for loved ones, etc.) In a way, Bruce having to learn combat skills is his version of the “with great power comes great responsibility” theme: he grew up with all the freedom in the world to pursue whatever he wanted wherever he wanted, so it’s fair that he had to learn how to fight to get those skills. Peter doesn’t have the time, money, or freedom to train with the Ra’s al Ghuls of the world and learn dozens of martial arts on his free time. Even Daredevil, who also had to learn how to fight (like Bruce), was able to excel easily because of his heightened senses (a “given” ability), and it was fair because he also underwent a great deal of hardship that would have made it otherwise unfeasible for him to learn how to fight (i.e. blindness, lower class childhood). Thus, I think it’s a fair balance that Bruce had to earn/learn his fighting skills.

What qualities make Spider-Man relatable?

You could argue, “If anything, Peter’s powers should make him even less relatable than Batman.” I think that’s only true if your criteria for relatability is a purely human physicality. Peter’s superhuman physicality is not the aspect of him that’s supposed to be relatable: it’s the problems he faces in his regular life that are so relatable and how he builds character/maturity from them. In my opinion, this relatability “formula” applies to most superheroes as well. And as Peter endures those challenges, it ends up teaching viewers/readers valuable character lessons, too.

Peter always seems like an underdog and seems to have the worst luck, but those circumstances set him up to have to be amazing, which lets his full potential shine through. And then when you think of who’s under that mask, it’s just a kid from Queens who has the same high school crushes so many of us have, has the same boss problems so many of us have, has the same financial struggles so many of us have, has the same single-parent household struggles so many readers have, the same social struggles we had in school, and even the same bully struggles so many readers have. And in addition to all of that, he can’t rely on anyone for emotional support because he needs to keep his identity a secret. Imagine having to constantly let some nobody push you into a locker just to make sure you don’t give anyone any reasonable belief to think you’re Spider-Man? That’s an incredible burden to bear in addition to all the other stuff going on in your young life, and no wonder he feels like a martyr at times.

And when someone like that, someone with so many relatable qualities, has that kind of power, I personally feel like I––along with all of the other readers who relate to his day-to-day experiences––can live vicariously through him. For all the attention and glory that Peter could use his powers for, he chooses not to because he knows that there is a higher purpose for it. In the same way so many black people take pride in Black Panther because of their shared heritage, I feel as though I can take pride in Peter because of how I can identify with his day-to-day experiences, struggles, and deep-rooted beliefs/motivations. He represents nerdy, humble, hardworking kids like me in a badass way. He is willing to put up with so much crap that he can easily squelch, and put aside so many things that he values all because he has the foresight to realize that those sacrifices are worth it to be the Spider-Man NYC needs him to be. Peter Parker represents someone who has gone through these tough, real-life experiences and still has the fortitude to somehow manage both worlds, taking it one day at a time just like the rest of us.

I think Batman’s criteria for relatability is different from Spider-Man’s.

Batman’s relatability stems from him identifying as a human being in the midst of all of these godly beings while Peter’s relatability comes from having to deal with ups and downs that almost everyone can relate to on some level. For me, that makes a more compelling character that I can care about, a character that makes me sad if they die or if their loved ones are in danger. Once I can relate to a character, he comes alive.

Spider-Man isn’t relatable, but Peter Parker is. Bruce Wayne isn’t relatable, but Batman is. That’s how I see it.

What’s the criteria for a “better” hero?

As folks have said multiple times in this thread, it’s all about preference. I should’ve made that clearer in my original post. I personally prefer Marvel characters over DC characters (Spider-Man being my favorite fictional character of all time) because Marvel just seems more straight forward to me. Every time I see a “Batman vs. (insert character here)” battle thread, it seems as though Batman wins, but in a way that is so outside of the box it can’t even be falsified (unless, of course, it’s actually explained by someone).

Marvel characters and story arcs seem to make sure that feats and abilities are consistent with each other. When Spider-Man, Captain America, or Hawkeye pull off insane feats, it’s portrayed in a non-contradictory way that you can both visualize and rationalize. You think, “Wow, I didn’t think Spider-Man could do that, but hey, it makes sense.” For Marvel, ability + scenario = feat; it usually adds up in a coherent manner.

For DC, feats seem to take priority over fundamental on-paper abilities when needed for the plot. Batman should not be able to lay a finger on Superman, but because of plot armor and Batman’s reputation, Superman just never seems to be able to KO him with the flick of a finger. I’m not saying it isn’t cool to watch a mere human being stand up to Superman (I think Frank Miller’s Batman is badass) but it’s just not as believable because the fundamental on-paper abilities of Batman are disregarded for him to be able to stand a chance. When I watched Frank Miller Batman go toe-to-toe with Supes, I thought, “There’s no way a single one of Batman’s punches should be able to hurt Superman, but whatever. It’s really compelling to think about the possibility of that happening so I’ll just not care too much about if it makes sense or not.”

Marvel has the better formula for me. Their ability-feat coherence as well as their compelling under-the-mask characters both amaze me and really grab my emotions in a real way.

Dude, so well put.

BJParks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jameswayne: Bruce doesn't do shit that brings about permanent change with his money, that's the problem. Not him having it, but the fact that he's so self-absorbed as to rather punch criminals at night whilst wearing a silly costume.

By the same token, one could Mr. Bill Gates's philanthropist efforts are useless. Bruce is not only invested in charities, but funds so much research on the cutting edge of technology, medicine, etc.

@fantasyconnect: and Peter doesn't do anything with his mind, the one time he was in a position to change the world was when Ock built.him an empire,.....then he lost it. Puting thousands our of work. Both heroes struggle with demons that on one hand allow them to reach their heights and accomplish the impossible but at the same time hold them back in other regards. For Peter it is guilt for Bruce it is obsession and paranoia.

....Yeah. At the same time, that was when he was in a CEO position, having to manage both a company and superhero duties. A better fit for him was his Horizon Labs job, where he made at least one life-saving invention (a cryocube for storing organs) in his short time there. As long as he made something within some financial time frame, he was good to go, as opposed to Parker Industries where he had to show up in a structured way year-round.

StrongTower7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FantasyConnect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bjparks: My problem isn't him investing into medicine and shit, I want him to, I don't know, invest into the development of a supermax detention facility, maybe? Donate to Arkham? Just... do something to help the city be cleaner. I could care less about cutting edge technology or charity.

BJParks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bjparks: My problem isn't him investing into medicine and shit, I want him to, I don't know, invest into the development of a supermax detention facility, maybe? Donate to Arkham? Just... do something to help the city be cleaner. I could care less about cutting edge technology or charity.

Bruce Wayne actually serves on the board of Arkham (although I'm not sure whether he funds it or not as well). Why it's not improved I'm not sure, and I don't know whether it's been addressed or not.

Avatar image for danteisterrible
    Danteisterrible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bruce Wayne is the better hero, I say this as a spidey fan. Peter Parker is ideal and a true hero to his heart as he's always being modest and responsible or trying to. But Bruce is the epitome of justice, purity, and has a position of a pillar in the DC as one of the leading examples of how to be more heroic and selfless as a person. Hes the ultimate father figure too, taking care of 5 robins and 4 batgirls, he's basically his own uncle Ben.

Peter can't get it together and hold a stable family life without screwing himself or setting hard choices for his own personal life choices.

FromAPOV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By FromAPOV

They're both Great & Iconic Heroes in their own respect, but if I had to choose between the two I think it would be Spider-Man.

NiteLite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fromapov said:

There both Great & Icon Heroes in their own respect, but if I had to choose between the two I think it would be Spider-Man.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bruce Wayne is the better hero, I say this as a spidey fan. Peter Parker is ideal and a true hero to his heart as he's always being modest and responsible or trying to. But Bruce is the epitome of justice, purity, and has a position of a pillar in the DC as one of the leading examples of how to be more heroic and selfless as a person. Hes the ultimate father figure too, taking care of 5 robins and 4 batgirls, he's basically his own uncle Ben.

Peter can't get it together and hold a stable family life without screwing himself or setting hard choices for his own personal life choices.

Spidey is one of the most respected people in the marvel universe and that's with him being seen as a goofball instead of a scary figure which commands respect. Ultimate father figure ? Dick Grayson will actively rebel against him if Batman criticizes him and Bruce also got 2 of his sons killed. Bats doesnt and never has taken care of all of them.

Peter has been a great influence to everyone around him while Bats is held back by his code

anthonydempsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First of all platinum 20yrs now Batman is the best superhero I see all comments people talking about money gadgets etc yes they both have wits with the scientific parts but for real life experience it takes money to be a superhero remember, spiderman got bitten by a spider but don't shoot web from body he has web shooters, and face it sometimes u need to make hard decisions and Batman won't let u down, Batman saves innocents ,, as well Batman is the best period hands down no other superhero is better not even Superman just like in the movie if u can't beat the most powerful hero how are you the best spiderman could not and cannot beat Superman so uuuhhhhhh hello, y'all softer than Mr. Softy's ice cream truck🤣🤣🤣🤣

BatmanandRobin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By BatmanandRobin

Batman, spiderman in his entire concept is just a kids who refuses to grow up as a superhero while batman is the child becoming a man while being stunted by a child's tragedy. Batman is what heroes wish they could be and what any man should be. Peter is what we are and would love to be as decent people but shows it is horribly reckless when it comes down to never trying to change how they push themselves.

Batman has more reasons to being a huge manchild than peter but at least he knows hes one and tries to work hard with people to change while staying on a pure path. Peter just cant accept being with people that want him to support him and has to take on everything himself.

TonyStark6999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

eslay03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Spider-Man.

Lilbroomstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Spider-Man by a landslideWEB-SWING

Hulk_Like_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for infantfinite128
    infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No superhero is more heroic than Batman, only Cap & Superman can debate and even so ehhh.

What about Nightwing and Flash?

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By ZariusII

@batmanandrobin: Spider-Man's grown up in a multitude of continuities. Hell, the finale of the 90s animated series has him flat out telling Stan Lee himself that he's all grown up.

BatmanandRobin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By BatmanandRobin

Batman isnt a whiny little nerd who doesnt complain about everything, so he wins.

BatmanandRobin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spiderman has the most delusional and unwarrented wanking fana of the two, if you think about it, spidey's a lesser hero because he represents self entitlement for being a nobody yet getting special treatment and benefits, for all his failures, hes still smarter, more sexually active, more physically attractive, more socially acceptable, and more lucky and fortunate than any normal person in marvel and in real life or anti heroes that are either punisher or deadpool.

Spiderman popularity is built on a lie, hes no more relatable or down to earth than any superhero with powers.

prepmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By prepmaster

Batman. The guy is a detective. He doesn't only fight against criminals but also solve crimes. Its his job to get into the psychology of the criminals he chases after and fight against. He inspects crime scenes and dead bodies of victims to find out how & why criminals committed crimes or killed certain people. His detective work alone is a great service to GCPD.

ViperSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#99  Edited By ViperSixteen

Bump.

Going to play devil's advocate by siding with Batman, people who say that Batman is just some vengeful billionare sociopath who can't get over his parents' death and beats up the mentally ill, really don't understand Batman.

prepmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By prepmaster

@yousufkhan1212 said:

Bump.

Going to play devil's advocate by siding with Batman, people who say that Batman is just some vengeful billionare sociopath who can't get over his parents' death and beats up the mentally ill, really don't understand Batman.

The story between Batman and his villains are the stories of how traumatic life experiences can change people. Batman understands the pain of losing his loved ones and therefore wants to prevent the same thing happening to other people and takes in orphans he comes across while his villains wants to share the pain that were inflicted on them and take away other people's happiness.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.