Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17241 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Bare Essentials

new2comics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By new2comics

Hello all. I am very new to the comic world although i have seen most of the comic book movies in the past 10 years  (the live action ones that everyone seems to hate). I was thinking it was about time to enter the world of comics so I picked four characters that seemed most interesting to me: deadpool, thor, the hulk, and spiderman. (i know these are now most household names especially because of the movies released, but they also seemed the most entertaining after reading abit on the internet.)  

Now, onto another issue, because i chose 4, i would like to pick only a few of each to start with and eventually expand out.  

What are, in your opinion, the most bare essential spiderman collections? I have heard great things about the death of spiderman story arc, and although I may not know ultimate spidermans full history, I feel like that would be a good pick up. 
     What makes those the "must have" issues?
    JairamGanpat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By JairamGanpat

I'm not a major expert BUT I know that the Gauntlet reintroduces many of Spidey's villains and the JMS run on Spider-man is well liked amongst most of the comicviners. so yeah 

Gauntlet Link 
    JMS Run: 471-543

RUSTMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By RUSTMAN

If you can find the "Where Should I Start Thread?" that's always chock full of good recommendations...

People seem to like what Dan Slott is doing right now, with Big Time onwards... I myself am really looking forward to Spider-Island...  

I'll let some of the people who have been reading Spidey for more than 5 months give you some better ideas though...

zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By zombietag

big time and onward is great if you just want to start reading the new stuff, but if you want some history you should pick up some trades like the essential series.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.