Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17252 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Awesome Toy Picks: Diamond Select Legendary Marvel Super-Heroes Spider-Man Collector Set

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Each week we take a close look at a comic book collectible. That means taking it out of the package. This week we're taking a look at a MEGO-style Spider-Man figure, Diamond Select Legendary Marvel Super-Heroes Spider-Man Collector Set.

Check out the video at the top of the page for a more detailed look at this set.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

You might be familiar with the Mego super-hero figures. The company started in 1954 but in the 70s, they shifted to making licensed figures. I recall having a few. I know I had a Spider-Man and a Superman. I'm pretty sure I had a Batman too.

This is a limited edition set and Diamond Select has gone all out. Even the packaging has that retro feel to it.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

In some ways, it's almost like you're getting three different figures in this set. You have the one figure but you have a bunch of accessories to change it up.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

There is a little booklet with some articles, pics, and a history of Spider-Man. You can see more detail in the video. The first figure, or outfit, is modeled after the original 1977 version of the Spider-Man Mego figure.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Yeah, it looks a little funky. It's supposed to. We'll be the first to admit, this figure might not be for everyone. Some might even cringe at it. If you can have an appreciation for the classic figures, it's going to bring a smile to your face.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

The outfit is easy to remove. The first thing I noticed is the figure's body is read instead of flesh-colored. You can easily do a Google search for "Mego Spider-Man" and see what it was like.

Next we'll take a look at the Peter Parker outfit. The head pops off to allow you to interchange them.

No Caption Provided

There's a pair of pants, shoes, white "buttoned down" shirt (which is really velcro, and a yellow sweater. The sweater was a little tricky to get on but not too bad. There's also a camera and a pair of glasses. The glasses are a little large and hard to keep on.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

You have to fiddle around a little with his collar. It comes in an upward turned position so it's a matter of working it so it folds over the sweater.

He footwear is pretty fancy. The figure could stand in the first outfit if you positioned the legs a little. With the shoes, he easily stands.

No Caption Provided

The sweater is a little frumpy. You might want to try pulling it or flattening it out a little so it looks right. It's pretty cool having the option of having him in his civilian guise.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

You can also have him dressed halfway.

No Caption Provided

Here's a look at his six-pack. He might dress a little frumpy but the figure works out.

No Caption Provided

Here you can see the "modern" head. With the newer outfit, you'll have to use the plastic boots to cover his feet. He also has a belt and webshooters.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

I'm a little torn with the webshooters. They are a little bulky. That's kind of the point to capture the retro feel. The problem is, you don't see them on Spider-Man. They're under his outfit. You could try to work them under his sleeves (which I should have tried in the pics). Or you can simply remove them. You have some different hands depending on how you want to position him.

Maybe you can let me know in the comments if you prefer with or without webshooters.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

This costume has his famous webbing under his arms. The figure looks nice from behind except you can see the snap of the costume.

No Caption Provided

This figure is for serious collectors. If you have a fondness for the Mego figures, this is your best bet. If you look on eBay, you can find an original unopened one going for about $3000! There are others for cheaper but even paying a few hundred dollars is a lot.

This figure and set will cost you $80. You may have seen it at your local comic shop. It's limited to 3000 pieces but you can still get one through Diamond Select's website.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Let us know what you thought of this figure. Are you into Mego figures? Which outfit do you like best?

We'll have another item featured next time.

theMightyMODOK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

That is actually pretty damn cool. Love how it's made to look like a retro figure.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Effing want it.

pingclang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 121

This is great. I'm not a big enough Spidey fan to buy it, but believe you-me, I'm getting Captain America in this.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

Oh my Gawd!! What an adorable tiny sweater vest!!!!

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

Gotta say, I'm not a fan of the retro-looking figures...I can appreciate why it is appealing to some, but it's not for me.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Loading Video...

ParaChomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Going to keep leaving a link to Big Bad Toy Store (where you can get yours) because I have blown so much cash there and have been constantly satisfied with their service. The sets go for $69.99 (shipping fees not included), Spidey's available now while Cap and Wolverine are up for preorder.

Spartan101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WANT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!

Delcar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it remind me the robot chicken show

ravisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

why is his eyes blue

Dedonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravisher said:

why is his eyes blue

While I cannot say that it had any affect on this toy's eye color, for some strange reason, Peter's eye color in the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon is blue, if I am not mistaken, which is weird because Peter has always had brown eyes.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

So bad it's good.

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Cave_Duck

It's giving me flashbacks to the motorized "web-climbing" Spidey I had as a kid!

UltronMk7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's more like a doll than an action figure. I would be ashamed to display that. Granted, I wasn't alive in the 1970's when the originals came out, so there is 0 nostalgia factor for me, but ugh, that is just horrible. You ca grab 1 of the Marvel select figures from Diamond for less than half the price and it looks infinitely better imo. And its not a doll. Spidey dress up doll? Ugh. lol ;)

vare_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i can't take this toys seriously after reading toy fare for so long alcoholic iron man was the best

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.