Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17243 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Are we in an Alternate Reality Because of O.M.D. and O.M.I.T.?

Ladyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ladyspider

I read in an interview by Glenn Greenburg that he stated that time travel in the Marvel Universe doesn't work like the way Joe Quesada wrote it in OMD and OMIT? So Mephisto actions should have caused an alternate universe. Creating different events, and character outcomes. Characters like the Black Cat act completely different then the way she was before before OMD which lead to my thought that because OMD  she loses much of her character development.  

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Primmaster64

hmmm Maybe so...

Mr. Dead Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Mr. Dead Pool

Wait then that means everything that has happened since OMD didn't really happen!!!!! WHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! I WANNA PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Andferne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Andferne

My Spider-man lives in a world where JQ didn't F%$# anything up. lol

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#5  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I don't think it's more of an alternate dimension per say, more of in that Pete and MJ's marriage was erased from the time lines itself, since everything happend still as we saw in O.M.I.T. except the marriage, and since Pete and MJ were still together and jsut never got married, did it really change characters like Black Cat that much?

TheSheepHerder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheSheepHerder
    @Andferne said:
    " My Spider-man lives in a world where JQ didn't F%$# anything up. lol "
    Lol, we all wished for that kind of world.
    Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#7  Edited By Deadcool

No, is the same universe 616, but mephisto didn't altered the time-line (Because Molun vs Spider-man stills canon), just altered the present, and also erased the memory of everyone.

Mr. Dead Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Mr. Dead Pool
    @Deadcool:
    CURSE YOU AND YOUR LOGIC!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ladyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ladyspider
    @Deadcool: Yes it did alter the time line because like I said earlier different things happened because the couple weren't married. For god sakes Mary Jane never got pregnant because she never wanted to have a child with peter because he was spider-man . Or Osborn why did he need to come back from the dead.  He didn't need to in this timeline because Harry is still alive.
    Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Deadcool
    @Ladyspider said:
    " @Deadcool: Yes it did alter the time line because like I said earlier different things happened because the couple weren't married. For god sakes 1) Mary Jane never got pregnant because she never wanted to have a child with peter because he was spider-man . 2) Or Osborn why did he need to come back from the dead.  He didn't need to in this timeline because Harry is still alive. "
    1. They in their minds, they never got married, and that child is forgotten just like oter things in the 90's. Like Toxin, Hybrid, etc... That child was allegedly kidnapped by Norman Osborn.
    2. Norman Osborn is alive even before OMD and OMIT, in the 90's he came back (and he was the one killed Ben Reilly), because the Goblin formula give to him a healing factor to came back to life, the same excuse was given with Harry post-OMD.
     Norman's healing factor let him live again.
    Avatar image for theworldbreaker
    Theworldbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Theworldbreaker
    @Deadcool:
    I'm not a big spidy reader but so i have to ask, did he die the same way in the comics as he did in the movie?
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By sora_thekey
    @Andferne said:
    " My Spider-man lives in a world where JQ didn't F%$# anything up. lol "
    So you read Ultimate Spider-Man too?
    Ladyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ladyspider
    @Deadcool: You do realize that the only reason Norman came back was because of the fact that Harry Died?
    Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Deadcool
    @Theworldbreaker said:
    " @Deadcool: I'm not a big spidy reader but so i have to ask, did he die the same way in the comics as he did in the movie? "
    Yes, but he had success killing Spidey's girlfriend.
    No Caption Provided

@Ladyspider said:
    " @Deadcool: You do realize that the only reason Norman came back was because of the fact that Harry Died? "
    Yes, I already knew that...
    But I didn't knew what do you mean with "back"...
    So your question is: Why is he still hating Spider-man?

@Mr. Dead Pool said:
    " @Deadcool: CURSE YOU AND YOUR LOGIC!!!!!!!!!!! "
    ?... What did you mean with that?
    spidey 15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By spidey 15
    @War Killer said:
    " I don't think it's more of an alternate dimension per say, more of in that Pete and MJ's marriage was erased from the time lines itself, since everything happend still as we saw in O.M.I.T. except the marriage, and since Pete and MJ were still together and jsut never got married, did it really change characters like Black Cat that much? "
    This actually. Everything has been the same. Just their marriage or whatever it was related to it, should not ever happen. 
    =]
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By ReVamp
    @Deadcool said:
    "No, is the same universe 616, but mephisto didn't altered the time-line (Because Molun vs Spider-man stills canon), just altered the present, and also erased the memory of everyone. "

This is probably the best explanation. I hope it is not a alternate reality cause that would be sh*t. I mean really, because think about it, if this spiderman is alternate reality then every place and book he has been in should be alternate reality. Which would mean everyything in 616 is in an alternate reality. Just thinking about it gives me a headache.  
    What pisses me off is that the image of MJ seems to have changed. I haven't read much Spiderman post OMD which means that I have little knowledge on the subject, but in the podcast where they not talking about MJ not really having empathy for peter parker and instead sleeping with him because he was a superhero? Please tell me I am wrong because I feel like having mephisto come to me and erase my memories. Seriously. I hope someone tells me I heard/am wrong on this subject. 

I think that the best way tosolve this for both the fans and Joe Quesada (and whoever else dislikes Mj and PP being married) at least for me in my fanboyish dreams is to have Spiderman and MJ remember what happened pre OMD. Then for some stupid reason that would have to be attributed to bad writing or Joe Quesada, they would decide not to remarry and instead go their seperate ways. This way everything would be back to normal character wise and every time a character seemed to have been changed, would be because of bad writing and not OMD. Then we don't have to worry about alternate realities and time lines and all that buisness and have fans worried about characters having changed.

Ladyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ladyspider

Look the best way to explain my theory is from an issue of the Fantastic Four of 2006, where Sue DIED.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    pepperr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By pepperr

That's a great explanation; I assumed the same thing would. The timeline split, and we're just reading the new branch.

Hunter114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Hunter114

Joe Quesada's explanation of the whole thing was complete twaddle (yeah... I said "twaddle") - He completely removes chaos theory from the equation and has everything being the same except for Peter and MJ's marriage, Aunt May getting shot and Peter revealing he is Spider-Man... and somehow nothing else is changed because of this? 

This is most certainly an alternate timeline... and one which should not exist because there is no way in hell that any of the characters would do what they did... this is deuce ex machina at it's worst!

batmanary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By batmanary
    @Hunter114 said:
    " Joe Quesada's explanation of the whole thing was complete twaddle (yeah... I said "twaddle") - He completely removes chaos theory from the equation and has everything being the same except for Peter and MJ's marriage, Aunt May getting shot and Peter revealing he is Spider-Man... and somehow nothing else is changed because of this?  This is most certainly an alternate timeline... and one which should not exist because there is no way in hell that any of the characters would do what they did... this is deuce ex machina at it's worst! "
    Yeah...plus I never understood Mephisto's request in the first place....wtf does it matter if they're married or not per se if they love each other. All he technically asked for was a ceremony.
    mewmdude77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By mewmdude77

Any major decision in comics can cause a branching. If someone makes a decision, there will be a branch of the opposite decision. Like there is another dimension where Spider-Man never told the public his identity, where Ben sacrificed himself instead of johnny, etc. This dimension based off OMD and OMIT is probably still Earth 616, because Marvel would stay on a hated alternate dimension this long!

Avatar image for playdohsrepublic
    playdohsrepublic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By playdohsrepublic
    @Deadcool said:
    " @Ladyspider said:
    " @Deadcool: Yes it did alter the time line because like I said earlier different things happened because the couple weren't married. For god sakes 1) Mary Jane never got pregnant because she never wanted to have a child with peter because he was spider-man . 2) Or Osborn why did he need to come back from the dead.  He didn't need to in this timeline because Harry is still alive. "
    1. They in their minds, they never got married, and that child is forgotten just like oter things in the 90's. Like Toxin, Hybrid, etc... That child was allegedly kidnapped by Norman Osborn.
    2. Norman Osborn is alive even before OMD and OMIT, in the 90's he came back (and he was the one killed Ben Reilly), because the Goblin formula give to him a healing factor to came back to life, the same excuse was given with Harry post-OMD.
    "

But his motivation for the clone saga was revenge for Harry's death, something that he now supposedly knew was not true!
    drphilter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By drphilter

In keeping with the Fantastic Four theory, timeline branching and we, the reader, follow the altered path.. Am I the only one who wants to see a mammoth event where all these altered time lines start to collapse on each other and eventually the main one we read? That would be rather.... different. I dunno after years and years I just think it's time to shake things up and move forward with daring things. I hate that anything momentous gets changed back because the next writer doesn't like it or whatever, I say deal with it. Don't just undo it because it's a comic book and fake, have a little more respect for it. I dunno... am I weird haha.

AllNewOverseer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By AllNewOverseer
    @drphilter:
    Not quite Spidey's thing. I mean Spider-Man dealing with collapsing time lines seems a little too removed from Spidey's mythos, including the Animal Todem stuff. I mean it would be like if Mephisto from Avengers and Ghost Rider fame came in and demanded Spider-Man's marriage to Mary Jane, remove all the interesting Todem stuff, cop out of Spidey's outted identity even though steps were being taken about that already, remove Spidey's cool organic webs and enhanced spider sense, get rid of MJ instead of letting her get in on some action herself, try to rehash Spidey's collage days, disrespect Aunt May's wish to have Peter allow her a peacefull death, denying Peter the chance to learn to let go of what will eventually be lost (begging the question of what Peter will do when Aunt May dies of natural or unnatural causes), insult reader's intellegence or having a video game staring Mainstream, Ultimate, 2099 and Noir Spidey and the Marvel vs Capcom series being revived. There's no way any of that would happen........................................... You know what. I'd actually pay $100.67 to see all of this blow up in Peter's face and have Mephisto screw him over, LIKE HE SHOULD HAVE AFTER THE FIRST YEAR!!! So if this doesn't end with Spider-Man, Deadpool and Mary Jane storming Hell to give Mephisto what's coming to him, by all means it should end with some crisis to the Marvel Multiverse/Timeline because of Spider-Man's deal with the devil and RAPEING the "Reed Richards Theory" as I call it.
    OminousFlare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By OminousFlare
    @drphilter said:
    " In keeping with the Fantastic Four theory, timeline branching and we, the reader, follow the altered path.. Am I the only one who wants to see a mammoth event where all these altered time lines start to collapse on each other and eventually the main one we read? That would be rather.... different. I dunno after years and years I just think it's time to shake things up and move forward with daring things. I hate that anything momentous gets changed back because the next writer doesn't like it or whatever, I say deal with it. Don't just undo it because it's a comic book and fake, have a little more respect for it. I dunno... am I weird haha. "
    I sense a Marvel Infinite Crisis coming. Oh, dear.

It might be a good thing if we just treat it as an event that never happened, and when (or if) Marvel (ever) decides to get back to the pre-OMD timeline, we can hitch back on the road again as if nothing has ever happened. This works relatively well for me whenever I want to block out Spider-Man's more inferior storylines (clones, Max Carnage, Goblin revival, etc.).
    Avatar image for grandsymbiote94
    GrandSymbiote94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By GrandSymbiote94
    @Overseer said:

"@drphilter: Not quite Spidey's thing. I mean Spider-Man dealing with collapsing time lines seems a little too removed from Spidey's mythos, including the Animal Todem stuff. I mean it would be like if Mephisto from Avengers and Ghost Rider fame came in and demanded Spider-Man's marriage to Mary Jane, remove all the interesting Todem stuff, cop out of Spidey's outted identity even though steps were being taken about that already, remove Spidey's cool organic webs and enhanced spider sense, get rid of MJ instead of letting her get in on some action herself, try to rehash Spidey's collage days, disrespect Aunt May's wish to have Peter allow her a peacefull death, denying Peter the chance to learn to let go of what will eventually be lost (begging the question of what Peter will do when Aunt May dies of natural or unnatural causes), insult reader's intellegence or having a video game staring Mainstream, Ultimate, 2099 and Noir Spidey and the Marvel vs Capcom series being revived. There's no way any of that would happen........................................... You know what. I'd actually pay $100.67 to see all of this blow up in Peter's face and have Mephisto screw him over, LIKE HE SHOULD HAVE AFTER THE FIRST YEAR!!! So if this doesn't end with Spider-Man, Deadpool and Mary Jane storming Hell to give Mephisto what's coming to him, by all means it should end with some crisis to the Marvel Multiverse/Timeline because of Spider-Man's deal with the devil and RAPEING the "Reed Richards Theory" as I call it. "

Wow thats deep wait not just deep but angry fan deep
    AllNewOverseer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By AllNewOverseer
    @GrandSymbiote94:
    Well really most of it was an overtly long joke. I feel that way about it but that's what personal canon/fanon is for. ANYTHING GOES (Crazed laugh). Really that rant was just me channeling the Nostalgia Critic/Linkara in me.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.