Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Animating the Animated: Spider-Man Unlimited Ep. 1

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

Edited By sora_thekey

Marvel.com has recently streamed a "new" old animated TV series: Spider-Man Unlimited and I have decided to review it.

Series Information 
    Name: Spider-Man Unlimited 
    Seasons: 1 (13 episodes) 
    Release Year: 1999 

Plot 
    This series was made to be a spin off to the Spiderman show in 1994. Hijacking a space shuttle to help up John Jameson against Venom and Carnage, Spider-Man ends up stuck on Counter-Earth, an Earth like planet in the same orbit on other side of the sun. There he finds a high tech society where humanoid animals, the beastials, rule under the leadership of the High Evolutionary, while humans are seen as second class citizens. And if that wasn't bad enough, Venom and Carnage are about, having their minds set on global domination through the help of the Synoptic - a hive-mind producing spores that turn people into its mindless slaves. 

Review 
    Right off the bat, I am going to say that I just watched the first episode and I can't wait to finish this review so I can go watch the second episode. When I was younger (and Fox kids still existed) this show used to air, but I would ignore the show because I liked the original better, and for some reason I thought this was a joke against my favorite character. Like the plot description says this is a spin-off of the 90s original series, and it is.  

The show begins with a discovery of a Counter-Earth, by accident John Jameson is taken there by Venom and Carnage's fault. Peter Parker as Spider-Man (In normal Red and Blue) tries to stop them but fails and ends up being blamed for this. Some time later Spider-Man is believed dead in a fire. Side Note: Apparently by now Peter and Mary Jane are married or living together, because for six months he lays low. Trying to redeem himself Peter gets involved in a space program so he himself can go and save John Jameson. He get's his new costume, and hijacks the shuttle and ends up stuck on the Counter-Earth. 

Ok so enough of the summary, what's good and what's bad? 

The Bad 
    - I honestly don't like the new costume, the concept is fine and the colors are great but what the heck is Spider-Man doing with a spider web-made cape!?! 
    - The animation is not bad, (plus it's from the 90s) but whenever you see Spider-Man "flee" all the animation does is show Spidey the same somersault repeatedly. 
    - The shadows are not all good on this show. When MJ was in the scene you would see more black than red on her hair, and when Peter was around half his hair up was an orange-y color while the bottom half of his hair was totally black, it didn't matter if if was day or night, his hair would stay like that.  
    - You can't have Spider-Man without the internal monolouges, but on this show it was a bit overused. Things that the art explained itself, Peter would still narrate. 
    - There was a chase scene between Spider-Man and the Bestials that although it was good, it was still a little too long.

The Good 
    - Continuity-wise the show is good and there are a lot of hints of the Marvel Universe.  
    - When Peter hijacked the shuttle Nick Fury appeared to try and stop him. 
    - There were a lot of references of Reed Richards and the new suit he wears was even made by Mr. Fantastic himself. 
    - I remember when the X-Men wore their new costumes Professor Xavier explained that it was made by Richards as a nanotechnology suit made to fit the person's characteristics. In the show Spider-Man gave the same explanation as he started wearing the new suit. 
    - On Counter-Earth is basically this universe's Wundergore so there are humanoids and beastials and the High Evolutionary. 
    - I am a big fan of cliffhangers and if the cliffhanger isn't good then my interest in the story goes way down. This episode had a good cliffhanger, I'm not going to tell you what it is, but it was great, and if it makes me think "How is Spider-Man going to get out of this one?" then the cliffhanger is a good one. (Something I can't say about the recent Vulture story in ASM)  
    - Animation is good and the flow of the story (for the exception of the chase scene) is not at all slow. I mean in one episode six months of story passed.

So as you can see there the good outweighs the bad!  

Rating 
    4 out of 5  - If you like Spider-Man then it’s worth a watch.

If you are a fan of the show or would like to give it a try watch it on Marvel.com (The link is above), and you would all be happy to know that his April there is a DVD release scheduled. So be ready to get it in DVD format!

So I'm out of here, have to see how Spidey get's out of this one in episode 2.

P.S. Please give me feedback. Tell me if you agree or disagree with me.
    Also recommend what I should review next!    
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Primmaster64

I wish they would have end it...

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By sora_thekey
    @Primmaster64 said:
    "I wish they would have end it... "

When I was researching the series, (before wriiting this) I found out that the reason the series was cancelled was because it could not compete against Pokemon so this series was cancelled leaving the cliffhanger at the end of the first season without answer.
    Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

i liked that show. i just considered it a continuation of the 90's TAS series since it picked up
    where the last episode of that left off, sort of in the way the the New Adventures Of Batman and Robin
    was a continuation with a new style. the costume was iffy, but an understandable strategy to have new
    toys to sell (which failed, though it was fun to use that costume in the first 3d Spider-Man game notably).
    not the best Spider-Man ever, not the worst. sort of reminded me of the season of X-Men TAS where time was altered.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Yung ANcient One

man i wish they would have ended Spidey TAS... it was jus so random and it jus finished 2 epic stories... Secret Wars... then Clone Saga... and what happens... spidey goes with MAdam Web to go "Find MJ"

and Mj is suppose to be in a alt universe/area... where Gobby is probably at... and maybe even VEnom and Carnage(watch the old episodes ull kno what i mean)... it could have been cool... Venom and SPidey face off once more... Gobby and SPidey face off once more... i dunno make something epic but no... no ending... then we got this show... with no answers to what happen... and then this series doesnt give us a ending DAM

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sora_thekey
    @Yung ANcient One: Since this a continuation of Spider-Man TAS then I am guessing everything was alright... 
    MJ and Peter live together and Carnage and Venom appear... 

Although you're right that story should've been told!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.