Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

And the reboot villain is....

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Venom? Carnage? Electro?....Vulture?! 

Find out here! 

So, what do you guys think of both the casting and villain choice?

brc2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By brc2000

As soon as he was announced as a cast member, I think a lot of people figured he's be playing Kurt. Connors. Hell, even before that it looked like he was going to be in it.

Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Amegashita

I feel like I don't want to see this movie anymore.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
    @Amegashita said:
    "

I feel like I don't want to see this movie anymore.

"
    Why is that? 

@brc2000 said:
    "As soon as he was announced as a cast member, I think a lot of people figured he's be playing Kurt. Connors. Hell, even before that it looked like he was going to be in it. "

How would you assume Lizard be the choice before any of the casting suggestions? This is inspired by the Ultimate Universe and Lizard was far from one of the first villains Ultimate Parker faced.  Now, if you're speaking of the previous franchise, then I agree, due to connors being in the movies.  However, this isn't related to those ;) 

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Magian

I am ok with this. Especially since they will not use Green Goblin again.

geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By geraldthesloth

No Green Goblin is good with me :)

SHED

brc2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By brc2000
    @k4tzm4n:  I don't really know anything about the Ultimate universe, heh, but I just assumed they wouldn't want to use any of the previously used villains for the first film and Kraven, Mysterio and Lizard were the next logical choices. (I don't think they'd make a film focused on someone like Rhino). Can;t really explain why, but I'm not really surprised by it.
    Jayso4201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Jayso4201
    @Amegashita:
    Ditto, I mean I could see him as a secondary villain, but a whole movie centered around the lizard, c'mon!
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
    @brc2000: 
    Heh, I completely understand.  I agree, a character such as Rhino (or Scorpion, Shocker, Tombstone, etc) would have to be secondary characters... Pawns part of a bigger plot.  However, this gives the potential for the Ultimate Green Goblin down the road, who is very different than the 616 counter-part. 

@geraldthesloth: 
    Lizard with hair = NO! lol  Other than that, Shed was great, but I think he'd be too powerful for the film. 

@ComicMan24:

I'm at, too.  But Norman will certainly be present, since his son, Harry, is in the film.  

Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Amegashita
    @k4tzm4n:  Because the Lizard isn't even that big a villain.  I kind of expect more from my movie villains than a B-list type of villain who probably won't be making any appearances later in the movie series.
    spidey 15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By spidey 15

I think Lizard is a good choice. 
    I like how he was in the spider-man 3 game in ps3 and i would like to see a similar storyline. 
    =]

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
    @Amegashita:
    Honestly, I think the Lizard is a good choice.  He can provide a rather simplistic and entertaining plot.  This way, it gives other characters (Brock, Harry, Norman, Gwen, MJ) more time for character development.  The biggest issue I had about Venom (aside from casting) was how rushed the character was.  This way we have more time to care about these characters, so when Brock or Harry turn into a villain, or Gwen dies, we'll care.  That's just my opinion, though. 
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#13  Edited By jakob187

I <3 The Lizard, so this gets a "super yes" from me!

Andferne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Andferne

Can't wait to see the Lizard on the big screen finally!
    <--excited

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
    @Andferne:
    That rear is excited?! :O
    Andferne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Andferne
    @k4tzm4n: Tell me about it!
    I can't find myself to remove it as my Avv (extra V in there for how awesome it is xP lol)
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
    @jakob187:
    Agreed.  Do you guys think it'll be like the 616 Lizard, or go with the video game plots involving Lizard where he takes mass  control of reptiles? lol
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Hopefully its the rhyming Lizard from Secret Wars. Just kidding...(maybe)
    Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

Connors is shed

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
    @Emperor Gonzo Noir: 
    I don't think they'd use the Shed version.  He'd be too powerful for Spider-Man's "first foe", IMO. 

@Jake Fury:

LOL 

Final Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21  Edited By Final Arrow

Nice choice, there is a lot chance for good story development with this.

roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By roadbuster

I never really gave Lizard enough credit until the Torment storyline. 

We had Spidey in the sewers / subway with Sandman in 3... but I think it's pretty clear he's at his best doing aerial combat in NYC's skyline... I wonder how or if they'll work that in unless Lizard is not the exclusive villain.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
    @Mainline:
    Odds are other characters (Who become villains) will be introduced or part of the plot, but they likely won't become a threat until down the road.  I can see Lizard having a significant enough plot to be the primary and only villain for the first.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24  Edited By InnerVenom123

Color me excited. 

Though I hope the movie fails, so the rights can go to Marvel in the long run. :p

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
    @InnerVenom123:
    That'll be quite some wait.  You should just hope this is done well instead ;)
    Avatar image for the_angry_comic_book_critic
    The Angry Comic Book Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

User Lists: 6

@Amegashita:  The problem with Spiderman now is they used up all the credible villains in the 1st 2 films now all they have left for villains that can carry a movie are Carnage and the Hobgoblin they should have just ended it with Spiderman 3 and left the series with at least some dignity intact
    Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

I love the Lizard

Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Amegashita
    @The Angry Comic Book Critic:  Pretty much my thoughts exactly.
    Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Amegashita
    @k4tzm4n said:
    "@Amegashita:
    Honestly, I think the Lizard is a good choice.  He can provide a rather simplistic and entertaining plot.  This way, it gives other characters (Brock, Harry, Norman, Gwen, MJ) more time for character development.  The biggest issue I had about Venom (aside from casting) was how rushed the character was.  This way we have more time to care about these characters, so when Brock or Harry turn into a villain, or Gwen dies, we'll care.  That's just my opinion, though.  "

And I can see what you mean, and I agree with the Venom part, but I'm just not to confindent on the whole Lizard idea.  I'm not seeing all that many ideas with the Lizard that could keep my interest, and when I see a villain I prefer the idea that they could appear later on in the series again as a villain.   

Not to mention, the last Spider-Man movie didn't do me any favors in optimism.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The Ghost.:  Seriously who is left besides those 2 that can carry a movie with making you want to laugh your ass off because they can't be taken seriously as villains? Kraven don't think so, Lizard B list villain at bes,t Vulture the guy is a thief not a criminal mastermind, Venom he's kinda dead, Sandman give me a break he can barely hold himself together let alone an entire film, Rhino has the IQ of a tree stump and The Shocker again Hitman/ Thief not interesting enough without a mastermind pulling his strings and The Kingpin has been done before Mysterio might have a fighting chance but still wouldn't be able to hold a candle to Green Goblin or Doc Ock
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
    @The Angry Comic Book Critic:
    What happened in the previous Spider-Man movies has no impact at all on the new movie.  It's a reboot of the franchise.  They're starting over from scratch, and apparently the Ultimate Universe is the inspiration.
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
    @Amegashita said:
    "@k4tzm4n said:
    "@Amegashita:
    Honestly, I think the Lizard is a good choice.  He can provide a rather simplistic and entertaining plot.  This way, it gives other characters (Brock, Harry, Norman, Gwen, MJ) more time for character development.  The biggest issue I had about Venom (aside from casting) was how rushed the character was.  This way we have more time to care about these characters, so when Brock or Harry turn into a villain, or Gwen dies, we'll care.  That's just my opinion, though.  "
      And I can see what you mean, and I agree with the Venom part, but I'm just not to confindent on the whole Lizard idea.  I'm not seeing all that many ideas with the Lizard that could keep my interest, and when I see a villain I prefer the idea that they could appear later on in the series again as a villain.      Not to mention, the last Spider-Man movie didn't do me any favors in optimism. "

I understand, but you can't let the previous movies have any part on your feelings towards the new movies.  They're being created by a brand new team (cast/crew/etc).  As for the Lizard, I think he's an excellent starting choice.  We've already seen the bigger threats (GG, Venom, etc) so the public could use a break from seeing them as the threat right away.  As for his plot, I'd imagine it's simplistic.  Parker's science teacher doesn't have an arm, he's doing experiments in an attempt to regrow limbs.  And, poof, the Lizard runs amuck.  Also, I know Harry is in the movie, so Norman likely will too.  I've heard rumours that Eddie Brock will also be attending the High School.  Plus, I'm sure in the end, Connor will be left alive, so there's future potential for him as well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: The problem with is all the villains used in the previous films are still to fresh in our minds at least when Chris Nolan made the superhero film god send the Dark Knight with the Joker and Two Face we had roughly 20 years to forget about the Tim Burton classic and the Joel Schumacher Shit storm we had about 13 or 14 years
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
    @The Angry Comic Book Critic:
    I completely agree with that (the villains being too fresh for the public's mind), and I stated that in my post above (which you probably didn't see as you were typing your reply).  However, when they do get around to reintroducing those villains, they might take the Ultimate approach, which is different for Venom (origin of the symbiote), Oc (powers), and Green Goblin (COMPLETELY different, lol).  In the meantime, Spider-Man has a vast gallery that I believe can be used well in the meantime.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The Ghost.:  Hey I'm a huge Spidey fan my amazing collection ranges from today back to 1964 and he has a great rogues gallery its that just none of them save for Doc Ock, Green Goblin 1 and 2, Carnage, Venom and Hobgoblin can actually hold there own outside of the Cartoon or Comic book media format  most of his villians I can't buy as big enough baddies to get a live action film devoted to Spiderman's battle against them there either to outlandish for the film's "real world" format or are just not threatening enough to hold there own

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n:  I've Never really read Ultimate Spider-man I stick with the mainstream title of Amazing Spiderman though I have played the video game the ultimate Venom could hold his own but Ultimate Green Goblin seems like The Abomination if he could breath fire
    Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Amegashita
    @k4tzm4n:  I'm just not seeing the future potential for him as a villain in the future.  I'm sure at the end, he'll be back to normal and the nice guy he is.  I don't like one time villains, it just feels like a way to get a plot going, but not to keep it contiuing.  And as for the past movies affecting my opinion, what can I say?  I don't remember the film rights being held by Marvel, and most of the time in recent history, those movies have been horrendous.   

I'll just wait for reviews before I decide officially whether I want to see it or not.
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
    @Amegashita:

I'm just not seeing the future potential for him as a villain in the future. 

There's no need to, really.  Unless of course, he reverts back and remains as Parker's mentor/teacher in class.  

I don't like one time villains, it just feels like a way to get a plot going, but not to keep it contiuing.   

Well, IMHO it's better than rushing one of the more plot driven villains he has.  Plus, this way it gives the audience time to connect with other characters (Harry, Brock, Norman) without jumping right into it. 

And as for the past movies affecting my opinion, what can I say?  I don't remember the film rights being held by Marvel, and most of the time in recent history, those movies have been horrendous.    

Yup, the rights were sold off when Marvel was undergoing some financial difficulties.  The first was enjoyable, as was the second.  The third just took a nose-dive into a sidewalk. 

I'll just wait for reviews before I decide officially whether I want to see it or not     

That's fair enough. 

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#39  Edited By Lvenger

I do have to agree with Angry Comic Book Critic and Amegashita here. Spidey does have an impressive rougues gallery which is only equalled by Batman's but the problem is which villains can be adaped correctly to suit both comic book fans and those who don't know who lesser villains like Lizard are. Personally, I'd like to see Kingpin, Electro (not in his garish green and yellow costume), Mysterio or Scorpion as villains Spidey will have to face. I like the idea of using the Ultimate universe as inspiration but I hope it's mixed with the traditional version as well. Also i want more time spent in high school in the film.

Andferne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Andferne

I just wish they would not use the organic webbing. Having the web shooters not only helps to showcase how brilliant Peter is. But also gives you chances for comedic relief when he runs out of webbing. It be while he is swinging about or against a bad guy.

Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Green Skin

Lol, Raimi must be pissed. 

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
    @Lvenger:
    How are people supposed to know about the lesser villains if they aren't given screen time? I assure you the majority of non-comic book readers who watched Spider-Man had no clue who Green Goblin was.
    Andferne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Andferne
    @k4tzm4n said:
    " @Lvenger:
    How are people supposed to know about the lesser villains if they aren't given screen time? I assure you the majority of non-comic book readers who watched Spider-Man had no clue who Green Goblin was. "
    Agreed and same can be said for Ras al Ghul in the Batman movie.
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
    @Andferne:
    They did an excellent job with him.  The concept of the "name" being passed on for centuries was a great way to give him a more realistic approach.
    Andferne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Andferne
    @k4tzm4n: Agreed. And he is the perfect example to prove you can take a not so well known villain (outside of comic readers) and make him work.
    WoundingFactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By WoundingFactor

I'd love to see (in movie order) 1: Lizard 2: Scorpion 3: Kraven

Avatar image for marvelunivers_deleteme
    marvelunivers_deleteme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

about time 

I can't wait

G Bird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By G Bird

I always wanted to see Lizard in live action, I hope they do a good job with it!

Gennadius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Gennadius

Nice. 
    Cant wait for crazy sewer fights. 
    Still too bad they didnt use rhino(Imax 3D with him running around causin' chaos and throwing cars away+random explosions) or the vulture (Crazy air fights with Vulture vs Spidey vs heli's who think they are both bad Just imaging the 3D bullets everywhere) 

Avatar image for violet_eyed_dragon
    Violet-Eyed Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

a dick move on the part of the studio considering baker spent three movies in a minor role with expectation he would be the lizard.   they should have brought him back even if it wasnt in the same continuity.
    i think its a great choice but i think the film would be better with two villains, especially considering that the lizard is not a foe with the intellectual ability to match peter parker.  i hope they anounce another villain, preferably Doc Ock.  
    also, i want him to reveal his identity to mj and possibly gwen in this movie because why wait two??

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.