Amazing Spider-Man is awful

#1 Posted by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio

I re-watched it and jesus christ. What an awful movie. Anyone agree?

#2 Posted by danhimself (22631 posts) - - Show Bio

not me....it's not the best but it's far from awful...I would definitely say that it is a better interpretation of Spider-man than the Raimi movies

#3 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

I saw it about midway through and got bored. Planning to rewatch it and give it another chance soon.

#4 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33962 posts) - - Show Bio

Totally disagree, I think it's a great film

#5 Edited by PunyParker (12017 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a mediocre film,but not awful...

#6 Posted by Dark_Guyver (2366 posts) - - Show Bio

It was ok at best. I just hated to have to sit through another origins movie when Raimis Spiderman wasn't that long ago.

#7 Edited by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio

No, it was awful.

Garfield just didn't resonate with me as Parker, he seemed too, I don't know, emo-ish. The romance was stale and felt forced, the action scenes were lack-luster and the climax wasn't anything notewrothy. Nearly as bad as The Avengers IMO.

#8 Posted by UncannyOutsiders (9 posts) - - Show Bio

Pray tell, what do you consider a good movie?

#9 Posted by Jackmaa (47 posts) - - Show Bio

Character wise, this film is in my opinion way closer to Spidey in the comics. So it's always better than Spiderman 3 or every others.

But there is some majors flaws in the plot. Like why the hell would Doc Connor want to change New York's inhabitants in lizard for 24 hours ? Why does Spidey need to put the serum in the bomb like device since the other lizards would definetly change back to normal, and hence saving Mr. George Stacy ?

So it's not a great movie but definetly watchable, and I pretty much enjoyed it.

#10 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (23247 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a mediocre film,but not awful...

#11 Posted by Farkam (4954 posts) - - Show Bio

It fell flat because the villain was worse than Venom from Raimi's Spiderman. I find it disappointing, since it had such potential.

#12 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

not DA BEST THING EVA but it's good IMO

#13 Posted by Strider92 (16737 posts) - - Show Bio

Far from the worst Marvel movie but not the best either.

#14 Posted by frogdog (3300 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh spider-man movies in general, are average with the exception of spider-man 3 being shit

#15 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (12025 posts) - - Show Bio

It was decent at best. But I did enjoy it, like I do most Superhero movies.

#16 Posted by TheBlueFrog (3 posts) - - Show Bio

The movie just wasn't fun, Raimi deals solely in entertainment and for the most part his trilogy achieved that goal, Amazing Spiderman takes itself too seriously and it drags. I really hope the series picks up but that is impossible with a mumbling angst ridden Peter Parker.

#17 Posted by wrthreeh (67 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I feel really alone now.

I loved the film, especially the way that the film characterized Peter and his relationship with Gwen.

And yes the film was flawed, but so was the Raimi series.

So's every film.

#18 Edited by w0nd (3729 posts) - - Show Bio

Some people agree witih you some don't I personally liked the casting.

#19 Edited by w0nd (3729 posts) - - Show Bio

@farkam said:

It fell flat because the villain was worse than Venom from Raimi's Spiderman. I find it disappointing, since it had such potential.

worse than venom? Reasons why?

#20 Posted by SoA (4945 posts) - - Show Bio

not me....it's not the best but it's far from awful...I would definitely say that it is a better interpretation of Spider-man than the Raimi movies

agreed

#21 Edited by Ninjablade09 (3175 posts) - - Show Bio

@wrthreeh said:

I loved the film, especially the way that the film characterized Peter and his relationship with Gwen.

So's every film.

You are not alone.

#22 Edited by Vance Astro (91287 posts) - - Show Bio

It's just not awful. If if you don't think it's good, awful is too strong of an adjective.

#24 Edited by wrthreeh (67 posts) - - Show Bio

@wrthreeh said:

So's every film.

You are not alone.

That was my first thought.

Oddly enough.

#25 Posted by Vulshock (144 posts) - - Show Bio

It's just not awful. If if you don't think it's good, awful is too strong of an adjective.

I agree. I would use awful for the Ghost Rider and Batman & Robin.
I also found it more interesting than the Raimi movies.

#26 Posted by Dernman (15250 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the film. I don't understand the hate for it.

#27 Edited by GraniteSoldier (8518 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoyed it. Hell its one of my favorite superhero movies. Yes it has flawed moments (Spidey gets shot by a stray bullet comes to mind) but it's a movie, "artistic interpretation" and all that. Hollywood likes to emphasize a "more realistic and mortal" hero I suppose, it's easier for the audience to relate. Packing 50 years worth of Spidey character growth into a trilogy would be near impossible without some artistic license.

#28 Edited by Farkam (4954 posts) - - Show Bio

@w0nd said:

@farkam said:

worse than venom? Reasons why?

His character was too much of a cartoon villain after the transformation, speaking of which the new lizard design looked horrendous. I think saying he was worse than Venom was just me being dramatic.

#29 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (6111 posts) - - Show Bio

It was decent, the one thing that did annoy me was Uncle Ben's death scene. Thats something you don't change in any way, shape or form.

#30 Edited by Tacos_Kickass (844 posts) - - Show Bio

It was better then the older Spider-Man movies maybe not by a lot but was still better.

#31 Posted by Ninjablade09 (3175 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoyed it. Hell its one of my favorite superhero movies. Yes it has flawed moments (Spidey gets shot by a stray bullet comes to mind) but it's a movie, "artistic interpretation" and all that. Hollywood likes to emphasize a "more realistic and mortal" hero I suppose, it's easier for the audience to relate. Packing 50 years worth of Spidey character growth into a trilogy would be near impossible without some artistic license.

I completely and utterly agree with this.

#32 Edited by KraytRawk (628 posts) - - Show Bio

I was ultimately let down by this movie. Does anybody else notice that the marketing for this movie was ... very misleading? Weren't we supposed to get some "Untold Story" from this film? Well, instead we get this predictable, forgettable, and disappointing movie that reeks of corporation editing. I mean, what happened to Uncle Bens killer? Where were the scenes of Ratha explaining that Peters powers weren't in fact bestowed by accident? What happened to Dr. Ratha anyway?? Wasn't there some bad blood between the Lizard and Ratha? what happened to those plots?

Where is Dr. Connors family - that was in fact cast, and scenes were filmed with them - that would help you relate to Dr.Connors and feel sympathy for him? Where was that scene from the trailers that showed Connors home lab, and had Parker scribbling down the equation on the chalk board? Instead he writes the equation in the movie on a napkin. I smell a re-shoot, why?

This movie was edited - and very heavily at that - at the last moment. if you left the theater rather unsatisfied, and felt that there was something missing, this is probably it. Anyway, i think this movie stinks and i am eager to get my hands on a Directors Cut so maybe i can see this "Untold Story" we were told about..

I give it a 4/10, only because of the slightly above mediocre acting, and somewhat entertaining action,

#33 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

It was mediocre....

#34 Posted by amutant (267 posts) - - Show Bio

#35 Posted by Zardu (347 posts) - - Show Bio

The Amazing Spider-Man is more realistic and darker (at least that was the intention). The movie is good, but lacking in the pace of the previous Spider-Man films. In addition, there is a lack of memorable action (like the train scene with Dr. Octopus).

Conclusion: Good but not amazing.

#36 Posted by Oscars94 (2583 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicdude23: I loved both of those movies! As a comicbook fan and a film lover!

#37 Posted by SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 (6503 posts) - - Show Bio

But in all honesty, yes it was awful. The screenwriter seemed to have no idea who the hell Peter Parker was supposed to be. Half the time, he was a popular skater, half the time, he was a nerd. Uncle Ben was handled horribly, especially compared to the Raimi films. In the Raimi films, Peter Parker is devastated by his uncle's murder, and mourns the tragedy for years. In Sony's Spider-Man, he tears up, and then gets over it in 2 seconds. The dialogue was terrible, and this is coming from the guy who liked the Star Wars prequel dialogue, the villain looked like a reject Sonic villain ESPECIALLY when he talked, the ending was lame and confusing. To be fair, the acting from Emma Stone was actually REALLY great, and the chemistry she had with Andrew was pretty decent. The effects were also better than the Raimi films and I liked how Spidey had artificial web-slingers rather than bio-ones. But in the end, it's NOT enough to save this one. How, in ANY way, was this better than the original Spider-Man trilogy? HOW?!

Rating:

4/10

#38 Posted by cattlebattle (13000 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it was pretty good. I think it did a better job at modernizing the origin than the Raimi movies.

#39 Edited by bornonamonday (54 posts) - - Show Bio

it's not the best superhero movie but it is the best Spider-Man movie

#40 Posted by Dreadpool10 (1552 posts) - - Show Bio

it's not the best superhero movie but it is the best Spider-Man movie

This.

#41 Posted by VeganDiet (1087 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry, but the scenes with him listening to Uncle Ben's voice mail and him giving the kid his mask to "make him strong" are too good for the movie to be awful.

It's not near the level of Spider-man 2, but it had some terrific scenes and was pretty good overall.

#42 Edited by w0nd (3729 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh some people love it some people hate it. Sucks you didn't like it though, but ah well

@spideyivydaredevilfan26 said:

But in all honesty, yes it was awful. The screenwriter seemed to have no idea who the hell Peter Parker was supposed to be. Half the time, he was a popular skater, half the time, he was a nerd. Uncle Ben was handled horribly, especially compared to the Raimi films. In the Raimi films, Peter Parker is devastated by his uncle's murder, and mourns the tragedy for years. In Sony's Spider-Man, he tears up, and then gets over it in 2 seconds. The dialogue was terrible, and this is coming from the guy who liked the Star Wars prequel dialogue, the villain looked like a reject Sonic villain ESPECIALLY when he talked, the ending was lame and confusing. To be fair, the acting from Emma Stone was actually REALLY great, and the chemistry she had with Andrew was pretty decent. The effects were also better than the Raimi films and I liked how Spidey had artificial web-slingers rather than bio-ones. But in the end, it's NOT enough to save this one. How, in ANY way, was this better than the original Spider-Man trilogy? HOW?!

Rating:

4/10

"Half the time, he was a popular skater, half the time, he was a nerd"

Owning a skateboard doesn't automatically make you cool. I owned a skateboard and I was no where near popular lol. Owning a skateboard doesn't make you socially acceptable if you still don't know how to talk to people. He could barely ask Gwen to hang out.

I could list other reasons as to why this film could be enjoyable for others since you asked HOW but I am assuming it was rhetorical and at the end of the day we would just be debating personal opinions :P hopefully you enjoy the next one but who knows.

@kraytrawk I am 100% glad they left out his powers not being entirely by accident. I thought that would have been ridiculous, I LOVED spider-man being an accident, but apparently more of that is being looked at in part 2, which makes me shudder.

#43 Edited by SideburnGuru (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

I absolutely loved the movie.

I don't get why people are so harsh, I honestly don't. Someone mentioned "He seemed more emo." I'm sorry, what?

The last triliogy made Peter look emo, if anything. It was fine when he was akward and just a downer the first movie, but three movies, he was just so akward. I don't get that from Peter in the comics. The only time Peter was "emo" was after the death. Gee, I wonder why he was depressed. He's supposed to be upbeat and happy after that death. Totally.

I enjoyed this movie, TONS more than any of the movies in the first three, and I'm totally pumped for the sequel. Actors were great as well. That's not saying it's perfect.

I found that skate boarding scene, where he's in the warehouse just randomly skating? So. Damn. Stupid. THAT was a boring scene. A truly TRULY boring, and not needed scene. It dropped it an 8/10 just for that damn scene. I was so pissed when I saw it in the theaters, because all I said was "Time filler". It should have been deleted and put in as a deleted scene. It kinda ruined the momentum of the events.

And I didn't like The Lizard's look, at all. Just didn't see the terrifying side. I think Andrew blasts Toby's Spider out of the park. Here's to hoping for a brand new set of Amazing Spiderman movies.

#44 Edited by young_beamer (127 posts) - - Show Bio

now i hate the raimi's movies but i miss the feel that they had, that feeling of bright daylight spider-man and the different ways they could of gone with it.

but i personally love the new spidey! its awesome but not without its flaws.

#45 Posted by War Killer (20343 posts) - - Show Bio

There are a few things I have issues with but, from what I've read online, a lot of the things I have issues with were, in part, due to Sony being too controlling and not allowing the writers and director make the movie like they wanted. The biggest issue I had with the movie was Uncle Ben not saying "With great power there must also come great responsibility," but they could easily fix this by having Peter say in the second movie (or third) the actual quote from the comics and say that this was what his uncle had explained to him in the first movie, easily fixing that problem. I also had issue with Uncle Ben's death, but it's minor enough that I can ignore it.

Overall though, I enjoyed the movie and enjoyed it better than the original Spider-Man movies. I also believe that the second film will ease whatever issues fans had with the first as it appears that Sony isn't being too controlling and are actually letting the writers and directors make the movie like they want to.

#46 Posted by Bokkie (83 posts) - - Show Bio

Felt more like a Rom-Com then a superhero movie..

#47 Posted by Z3RO180 (6623 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked it the costume was movie was better than spider-man 3

#48 Posted by PaperDemon (617 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree... It sucks. Andrew Garfield was a bad spiderman. Raimi's was the ONLY Spiderman for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.