Amazing Spider-Man #700 Theories?

#1 Posted by Webjaker (366 posts) - - Show Bio

So by now we all know that Issue #700 is supposed to have a huge event that will send Dan Slott into hiding as we hunt him to the 'Ends of the Earth'

For it to be that big, I am Assuming he plans to kill off a Major character. And honestly there are REALLY only four (alive): Peter, MJ, Aunt May and J. Jonah. Admit it, they are the requirements for spider-man, rest are just extras and Uncle Ben and Gwen are already toast.

Peter - no, been done, unless Miles Morales is gonna take over the Marvel-verse

MJ - He would have to run, we would find him

JJJ - Doubtful

Aunt May - Most likely - but she's like 130 years old, and a useless character (sorry) - guess the issue would be that it would negate the One More Day storyline (which could have repercussions of memories returned)

Now it may be something simple like an extraneous character dies, Carlie? Or it may be linked to Alpha (omg he's a villain - never saw it coming), or the fact that they want to do some stories with Gwen Stacy, either bringing her back or more retconning of her past - though we've been assured it would be flashbacks.

So, What is your guess for the Issue #700 SHOCKER!?

#2 Posted by Teerack (7459 posts) - - Show Bio

1) Peter Parker dies and Miles Morals takes over as Spider-Man

2) Gwen Stacy is alive

3) Spider-man kills

4) Ben Reilly lives

5) One of Peter's ex's is pregnant

#3 Posted by danhimself (22720 posts) - - Show Bio

it could be that no one dies

I honestly don't have any theories....Slott said that it's the culmination of plot points and hints have been dropped but I still got nothing

#4 Posted by r3d_rob1n (541 posts) - - Show Bio

My guess is that Alpha goes bad and the only way to stop him is for Peter to kill his sidekick. This would guilt trip Parker bad since he feels responsible for the boy and also his whole "No One Dies" thing

#5 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

Aunt May dies, that would be the biggest thing to happen to Peter.

#6 Posted by Replicant0658 (86 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't they say this big reveal would forever resonate in other Marvel titles as well?

#7 Posted by noj (1092 posts) - - Show Bio

616 Peter gets stuck in the Ultimate Universe during the Spider-Men storyline. Then do to some crazy cosmic junk Ultimate Peter comes back from the dead in the regular universe so Ultimate Peter becomes the Spider-Man of the main universe for some time.

#8 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

Really looking forward to this now. I hadn't thought much about it.

#9 Edited by Strider92 (16838 posts) - - Show Bio

My opinion is that:

Alpha who we see in the next few issues is going to turn evil and Spider-man will be forced to kill him in #700. Spider-man is currently already unhinged (we saw in the past few issues that he wanted to kill the Lizard and Morbius). After he accidently creates Alpha he'll take him under his wing because he feels responsible (which he is it was his experiment that created Alpha) to begin with Alpha will be all normal then something will happen to push him over the edge and he'll put Peter in a position where he has no other choice but to kill him. They've already said Alpha's powers are Psionic so his raw power is going to be far beyond Peter's and it would also explain why Ms Marvel and the Avengers are in ASM 699. Alpha is going to become a big threat and Spider-man will end him as he'll see it as his responsibility.

This would follow suit as Julia Carpenter had said "the web is unraveling." Which only happens in the alternate future where Spider-man gets unhinged and kills a bunch of villains. If thats the case then Spider-man killing Alpha will set the alternate future in motion and Spider-man's going to go all Punisher on us lol!

Steve Wacker has said they had done as much as they could with Peter as Spider-man and that this would be his last year as Spider-man. This may be true as Peter's "No one dies" vow would be broken if he kills Alpha. He said he couldn't keep being Spider-man if people keep dying around him but does this necessarily mean he'll stop being a crimefighter? No he'll give up being Spider-man because he can't face it but everytime he becomes unhinged (like he did before the clone saga where he almost beat Shriek to death) he referred to himself as the Spider. So imo after 700 this is going to be some very long arc of Spider-man going lethal and calling himself Spider. Then later once Marvel is bored he'll go back to being Spider-man but have to deal with the guilt of the people he killed.

The Spider
Alternate Future

If Alpha where to kill someone like MJ or aunt way we've already seen how Peter would take it during Back In Black:

The shocker will be that Spider-man makes a voluntary killing of his own free will!

Yay for my wild theory lol!

#10 Posted by ChaosMarvel (1000 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92: This.........is disturbingly plausible.

#11 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

Still think Alpha dies, thus leaving Spider-man in mourning over how he's the worst hero ever for not saving his sidekick.

But then, I think it would need more time from Alpha's introduction to make that relevant.

That's my only guess, to be honest.

#12 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92: Slott doesn't seem like the type to do that. He seems to relish Spider-man's lighter side above all else. The "NO ONE DIES", the inventions, the change of luck... but that does make sense. A lot. A scary lot.

#13 Posted by Billy Batson (58380 posts) - - Show Bio

If Aunt May dies it would be the greatest thing ever.
BB

#14 Posted by TDK_1997 (15123 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92: That's actually pretty good for a story for ASM #700.

#15 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

BB

Should have stuck in ASM 400.

#16 Posted by Deadcool (6756 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

BB

Dan Slott said on twitter that the fans would get mad, I don't care that much about 616 Aunt May.

#17 Posted by nickzambuto (15026 posts) - - Show Bio

I was thinking Pete would in some way get a serious injury, he brakes his leg or something, and Alpha ends up taking over as Spider-Man.

God I hope that doesn't happen.

#18 Posted by Strider92 (16838 posts) - - Show Bio

@nickzambuto: That won't happen. I can say that with a fair amount of certainty. Alpha's powers are not like Spider-man's. According to the previews his powers are psionic. So he's most likely going to be a Tker/telepath kinda deal. I don't see someone with that kind of power taking over as Spider-man and Marvel wouldn't risk stopping one of their most famous/profitable ongoing series. If someone does replace Pete i'm 99% sure it won't be Alpha!

#19 Posted by nickzambuto (15026 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92 said:

@nickzambuto: That won't happen. I can say that with a fair amount of certainty. Alpha's powers are not like Spider-man's. According to the previews his powers are psionic. So he's most likely going to be a Tker/telepath kinda deal. I don't see someone with that kind of power taking over as Spider-man and Marvel wouldn't risk stopping one of their most famous/profitable ongoing series. If someone does replace Pete i'm 99% sure it won't be Alpha!

Thank god in that case.

#20 Posted by Strider92 (16838 posts) - - Show Bio

@nickzambuto: Yeah this is why i'm not to worried. From what i've seen Alpha looks like he's going to be much more of a threat than Peter in terms of raw power. This is what leads me to think he's going to be the next major villain. Spider-man tries to teach him to use his powers for good (a la Ma Kent) and fails.

#21 Edited by Webjaker (366 posts) - - Show Bio
From most recent issue ASM #689 - fuel for theories.
#22 Posted by Deranged Midget (17974 posts) - - Show Bio

I know I'm a little late to the party, but what exactly are the rumours that has everyone raising their fists against Slott?

#23 Posted by Webjaker (366 posts) - - Show Bio

It was Slott himself that said, he is doing 'something' in issue #700 that will make him have to go into hiding. So we really dont know - thats the point of this thread to guess from all the hints he has sprinkled throughout his run.

#24 Posted by Lvenger (21267 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm interested in what Slott's going to do in Amazing Spider-Man 700. There are way too many theories going around to confirm on here so I'll just say that if he reboots the Marvel Universe, I will hunt him to the 'Ends of the Earth'

#25 Posted by Deranged Midget (17974 posts) - - Show Bio

@Webjaker said:

It was Slott himself that said, he is doing 'something' in issue #700 that will make him have to go into hiding. So we really dont know - thats the point of this thread to guess from all the hints he has sprinkled throughout his run.

Where did he say this?

Honestly, anything that's different from the norm pisses off fans these days. Barely anyone is ever satisfied anymore. I couldn't begin to guess what could happen, but Slott has been treating Spider-man spectacularly since he began his run so I can't see it being unbearable.

#26 Posted by Lvenger (21267 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

@Webjaker said:

Where did he say this?

Honestly, anything that's different from the norm pisses off fans these days. Barely anyone is ever satisfied anymore. I couldn't begin to guess what could happen, but Slott has been treating Spider-man spectacularly since he began his run so I can't see it being unbearable.

But the whole point of Spider-Man is that all these unexpected and often tragic things happen to him, usually involving the death of someone close to him. Or a decision or consequence that has come about as a result of his actions. And I too am a fan of Slott's work on Spider-Man so unless he reboots Spider-Man or brings back Gwen Stacy, I'll be interested to see what he does to shake up Spider-Man's world.

#27 Posted by Deranged Midget (17974 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

But the whole point of Spider-Man is that all these unexpected and often tragic things happen to him, usually involving the death of someone close to him. Or a decision or consequence that has come about as a result of his actions. And I too am a fan of Slott's work on Spider-Man so unless he reboots Spider-Man or brings back Gwen Stacy, I'll be interested to see what he does to shake up Spider-Man's world.

I have no problem with the whole "spidey sacrifice" ordeal he has always had lingering around him, but for the love of god, please don't bring back Gwen simply due to the recent film. I say just kill off Aunt May, perhaps he loses his job at Horizon, etc.

#28 Posted by Webjaker (366 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger: ,

I think Slott's run has been 'Amazing' ...anyone? no? is this thing on!? And he is really good at planting little tid-bits that come to fruition many issues later, so if he has been building towards something - it should be something pretty epic and i trust him.

Im not looking forward to this alpha storyline, Im HOPING that it was slott's idea, meaning well thought out and has a purpose - and not something some Marvel exec forced on him to bring more little kiddies to the comics.

#29 Posted by Lvenger (21267 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget: Seconded. Though Aunt May did just get saved by a deal with the Devil, otherwise known as Joe Quesqada. Maybe her age will finally catch up with her?

@Webjaker: I'm sure Slott has a reason for giving Peter a sidekick. Slott isn't the kind of writer to just write things in due to the influence of the executives. However I'm not looking forward to Humberto Ramos' art on this story. I really don't like the fact he's a regular Spider-Man artist.

#30 Posted by Deranged Midget (17974 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

@Deranged Midget: Seconded. Though Aunt May did just get saved by a deal with the Devil, otherwise known as Joe Quesqada. Maybe her age will finally catch up with her?

If I recall correctly, one of the last issues had Aunt May stating that she only had "a few years left". I don't know if that's Slott hinting at something and it'd especially play rough against Peter's "No One Dies" motto.

#31 Posted by Lvenger (21267 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget: Really? Interesting. A terminal illness would certainly shake things up a bit. But if Aunt May dies, will we see any reference to OMD? I'm dreading Quesqada's involvement if that's the case.

#32 Posted by Deranged Midget (17974 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger: Oh Quesqada, how I loathe thee. Considering that Slott wrote Brand New Day, there might be some continual reference to it but I hope we're both wrong.

#33 Posted by TheAntiReVamp (389 posts) - - Show Bio

Aunt may must die.

#34 Posted by Webjaker (366 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, im hoping Aunt may - I think that Marvel and Slott think we're attached to the character. i mean maybe people were decades ago, but I think most people think its ridiculous that she's 130 and still alive and after OMD, most people despise her being alive.

#35 Posted by Lvenger (21267 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget: So do I my friend. So do I.

#36 Posted by Mutant God (3080 posts) - - Show Bio

Alpha turns bad tries to take out Peter, fails then jumps into the Ultimate universe and becomes an arch-nemesis to Miles

#37 Posted by Meteorite (3351 posts) - - Show Bio

The shocker is... that The Shocker will appear!

#38 Posted by humbertounb74 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Amazing Spider-Man # 700: any character who dies can (or must) return or resurrect in the future (especially Aunt May), so there will be no "turning point" or surprise. Unfortunately I think anything that may happen in issue # 700 will be a disappointment, because they are creating a lot of expectation about it.

What I actually would like to see in issue # 700 is Todd McFarlane go back to drawing Spider, at least a short story in the end of the issue, written by David Michelline (to remember the good times of the Amazing Spider-Man # 300)!!! That would be a great surprise!

Humberto.

#39 Posted by Webjaker (366 posts) - - Show Bio

My question is - as Dan Slott - Why would you write something that you think all the fans will be upset about? Am I crazy to think you should write FOR the fans?

#40 Posted by cookepuss (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Not that IGN's so reliable, but I'll repost a quote they had from the moderator of the CC Spider-Man panel.

“When you get to the last page of ASM #700, Dan has to go into hiding. It’s going to be a big, big event. You’ll be very happy with what’s happening with Spider-Man.”

So, the question is.... What could send Dan into hiding, yet make people very happy?

Could he be undoing the OMD marriage retcon? They've been pushing MJ & Pete closer together lately. I wouldn't be surprised. It'd piss off fans of OMD, hence the hiding, but elate those who hated JoeQ's heavy handed mandate. Wouldn't shock me now that the guard has changed and Joe's out of the EIC chair.

#41 Posted by mewmdude77 (960 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92 said:

My opinion is that:

Alpha who we see in the next few issues is going to turn evil and Spider-man will be forced to kill him in #700. Spider-man is currently already unhinged (we saw in the past few issues that he wanted to kill the Lizard and Morbius). After he accidently creates Alpha he'll take him under his wing because he feels responsible (which he is it was his experiment that created Alpha) to begin with Alpha will be all normal then something will happen to push him over the edge and he'll put Peter in a position where he has no other choice but to kill him. They've already said Alpha's powers are Psionic so his raw power is going to be far beyond Peter's and it would also explain why Ms Marvel and the Avengers are in ASM 699. Alpha is going to become a big threat and Spider-man will end him as he'll see it as his responsibility.

This would follow suit as Julia Carpenter had said "the web is unraveling." Which only happens in the alternate future where Spider-man gets unhinged and kills a bunch of villains. If thats the case then Spider-man killing Alpha will set the alternate future in motion and Spider-man's going to go all Punisher on us lol!

Steve Wacker has said they had done as much as they could with Peter as Spider-man and that this would be his last year as Spider-man. This may be true as Peter's "No one dies" vow would be broken if he kills Alpha. He said he couldn't keep being Spider-man if people keep dying around him but does this necessarily mean he'll stop being a crimefighter? No he'll give up being Spider-man because he can't face it but everytime he becomes unhinged (like he did before the clone saga where he almost beat Shriek to death) he referred to himself as the Spider. So imo after 700 this is going to be some very long arc of Spider-man going lethal and calling himself Spider. Then later once Marvel is bored he'll go back to being Spider-man but have to deal with the guilt of the people he killed.

The Spider
Alternate Future

If Alpha where to kill someone like MJ or aunt way we've already seen how Peter would take it during Back In Black:

The shocker will be that Spider-man makes a voluntary killing of his own free will!

Yay for my wild theory lol!

That sounds like the best wild theory I've ever heard!!! too bad that's probably not it. It'll probably be something like Aunt May dying, which unhinges Peter, or maybe Ultron hacks Iron man's suit (since Ultron war is coming) and Iron man kills Spider-Man, and his identity is revealed to everyone, but then either Tony builds a robot that is pretty much like Spidey, or someone takes over for him (like Daredevil, or someone like that).

#42 Posted by Webjaker (366 posts) - - Show Bio

@mewmdude77: Said, "That sounds like the best wild theory I've ever heard!!! too bad that's probably not it. It'll probably be something like Aunt May dying, which unhinges Peter, or maybe Ultron hacks Iron man's suit (since Ultron war is coming) and Iron man kills Spider-Man, and his identity is revealed to everyone, but then either Tony builds a robot that is pretty much like Spidey, or someone takes over for him (like Daredevil, or someone like that)."

- No offense, but that WOULD be terrible

#43 Posted by Strider92 (16838 posts) - - Show Bio

@mewmdude77 said:

That sounds like the best wild theory I've ever heard!!! too bad that's probably not it.

I try my best :p

#44 Posted by mewmdude77 (960 posts) - - Show Bio

@Webjaker said:

@mewmdude77: Said, "That sounds like the best wild theory I've ever heard!!! too bad that's probably not it. It'll probably be something like Aunt May dying, which unhinges Peter, or maybe Ultron hacks Iron man's suit (since Ultron war is coming) and Iron man kills Spider-Man, and his identity is revealed to everyone, but then either Tony builds a robot that is pretty much like Spidey, or someone takes over for him (like Daredevil, or someone like that)."

- No offense, but that WOULD be terrible

I know it would be

#45 Posted by Lvenger (21267 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92: Whilst I don't want one of my favourite heroes to break his no killing and current no one dies code, this is disturbingly plausible. Slott would have to go into hiding if he did this. Why else would they set up an appearence of this new Alpha guy?

#46 Posted by Strider92 (16838 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger: Exactly I don't think Marvel would want to start having Spider-man/Alpha being compared to Batman/Robin so having a new character brought in that is killed off 7-8 issues later would make sense. Just one of those really short arcs but one that will pretty much screw Peter's view of himself up. He created Alpha, thought he could teach him to be like him but instead the kid snaps and he has to put him down. Then he'd have to deal with the guilt. It's his fault Alpha was created and he was the one who put him down. He basically screwed up a guys life lol and for someone like Peter that could really send him down to the Dark Side as it were.

#47 Posted by Lvenger (21267 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92: What are Alpha's powers? I remember you mentioning a few pages back that he might be a TKer or something like that. And when does the Alpha arc start? Issue 692-700?

#48 Posted by Strider92 (16838 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger: I think it starts in 692 yeah. His powers I believe were stated to be psionic in nature so I was just guessing that he's most likely a TKer.

#49 Posted by Lvenger (21267 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92: Cool. I've never seen Spider-Man fight many psionic foes? How do you think he'll deal with him? Since Slott has really been pushing Pete's intellect and gadgetry expertise, I figure Pete will use his Horizon tech to defeat Alpha. He's been doing that a lot under Slott and it's made for some really entertaining stories. Plus Slott gave Spider-Man kung fu skills! Guy's done great things with Spider-Man and has introduced some cool changes whilst staying true to the classic nature of Spider-Man. Do you think Slott will leave after Amazing Spider-Man 700?

#50 Edited by Strider92 (16838 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger: Well I believe there's a quote somewhere of him saying something like "I love writing Spider-man and they'd have to drag me away kicking and screaming but all things must come to an end but this will have been the best time of my life" so i'm guessing that he isn't leaving ASM after 700 as he hasn't mentioned getting dragged away and he's "going into hiding" after 700 and not doing interview for a while that he'll still be there after 700.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.