Amazing Spider-Man #698-700 Spoiler-filled Discussion

#1 Posted by Vermoot (95 posts) - - Show Bio

Hi folks.

I feel like we need a centralized topic on the forum where we can all talk about what's happening in Amazing Spider-Man without hiding spoilers. So we could freely discuss things with people who have read the issues.

People are warned from the beginning with the title so nobody gets spoiled.

So right now 698 just got out, and we all got excited/shocked/pissed with it

I'll start : Are we really sure Doc Ock is in Peter's body ? I mean it's the obvious answer, but we haven't (besides the last page, but it could be a misleader) had any confirmation it really was Otto... Right ?

#2 Posted by Darksider555 (430 posts) - - Show Bio

well since otto is as smart as parker he could continue as Spidey/Peter but i would be suprised that no one notices.But what wil probably happen is either:Peter reclaims his body but is forced to fake his death so that no one could target him or his loved ones and becomes darker as a resurt of Doc Ock almost having his ultimate vengence,or Ock continues and experimenents on peters body to enhance his powers,possible Miguel ? But i hope Pete stays becomes Superiour and hopefully goes back to his old self with the help of his friends and allies ... :D

#3 Posted by pulseangel666 (313 posts) - - Show Bio

What if Peter transfered his mind into the body of Norman Osborn with the octobot. Afterall we didn't see how he got out of his coma.

#4 Posted by gotwillpower (679 posts) - - Show Bio

ASM 698 is my first Spider-man comic. If Superior Spider-man is Doc Ock in Peter's body, I don't know if I'll keep reading. The Mary Jane thing is too messed up.

#5 Posted by PunyParker (12581 posts) - - Show Bio

Im really starting to believe that Superior Spiderman isnt Ock in Pete's body.....after the #700 preview.....idk i am confuced as hell!

#6 Posted by gotwillpower (679 posts) - - Show Bio

@PunyParker said:

Im really starting to believe that Superior Spiderman isnt Ock in Pete's body.....after the #700 preview.....idk i am confuced as hell!

Whew, I hadn't seen that. So there's a chance Doc Ock won't be Spidey (or he will be, but not for long).

#7 Edited by p3t3r133 (96 posts) - - Show Bio

I bet Peters mind is in one of the octobots or a computer or somthing along those lines. They showed a octo-spider robot thing say Peter Parker in one frame, I bet there will be some sort of mental battle thing between Peter in some of doc ocs tech (possibly the giant gold octobot) and oc in Peters body, we've already seen that Peters mind is stronger when he took control of the octobots back from doc oc. Only as a result of this doc would probably be like Baron zemo and be inside some octopus robot. That's how I figure 700 will end but I don't know who superior will be but even if it isn't Peter by the end of 2013 Peter Parker will be spider man again, never has a hero succefully been replaced for good

#8 Posted by Scarlet_Rogue (153 posts) - - Show Bio

well the 700 preview is definitely implying that Pete is going to have a chance to fight back, as to how....that's up to issue 700 to show us.

#9 Posted by personz (16 posts) - - Show Bio

At this point my mind is blown. Did this just happen in this issue or has Doc been inside Peter's body since the ends of the earth arc? I need to go back and read those like.... right now.

#10 Posted by PunyParker (12581 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (15127 posts) - - Show Bio

@PunyParker:

#12 Posted by PunyParker (12581 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarkKnightDetective:

#13 Posted by Dernman (15710 posts) - - Show Bio

What happened in 698 still doesn't explain Superior Spider-Man's feet.

#14 Edited by VeganDiet (1105 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Posted by InfamousFish (353 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2685 posts) - - Show Bio

I get the feeling Pete's gonna die for real after a final battle with Ock. The fact that it's be somewhat revealed who the Superior Spider-Man might be through a tweet Slott made a while that mentioned the name Miguel has me thinking of three possibilities.

A: Miguel O'Hara AKA Spider-Man 2099 coming back to the past to replace Pete for a while until his eventual return.

B: Miguel O'Hara from an alternate dimension such as the one from the Exiles shows up and takes his place,

C: A past/present day version of Miguel O'Hara gets spider powers in a similar fashion to the Spider-Man of year 2099.

#17 Edited by jashro44 (25363 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman said:

What happened in 698 still doesn't explain Superior Spider-Man's feet.

Could be weapons ock added to the costume. Was it ever confirmed they are biological claws that are apart of superior spider-mans body?

EDIT: never mind I just looked at the x-men spider-man teaser again with the feet. Doesn't look like a weapon. I guess it might not be ock after all...

#18 Edited by EscGamer (125 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember during spider island in the issue where the avengers stop a group of terrorist with frogmans help (which was really weird) He had these barbs that where similar to miguels talons. Someone must've been left from spider island with powers with a webster background question is who? Peter did rip Lady Kravenoffs face lets not forget that. I can see ock taking peters body, after all how many times did Peter put on ocks helmet to control those octobots. Something must've happened the first time around and with continuous use who knows. His speech was weird for me through the whole 698 issue, he sounded full of himself. I can't figure out Normans role in this at all. I'm re-reading 600 and the events to see for clues this is mind boggling. o_o

#19 Posted by Sifighter (94 posts) - - Show Bio

To be honest I expect to end with spiderman and Doc ock sharing the same mind, Spiderman will fight back for control but being in Doc Ock's dying body he probably see that as a living hell besides he doesn't kill anybody, he had a chance to kill him back in ends of the earth. Thats how it will probably be him and Doc ock in the same body

#20 Posted by thespidey307 (177 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope the heroes will start to notice something "different" about Spider-Man, or maybe at least Mary-Jane.

#21 Posted by SpideyFan113 (107 posts) - - Show Bio

Who knew that two issues are all that's left to fill in these mind boggling questions we have? Man, I thought Slott was overexaggerating when he said this would be a big one, but DAMN this is a big one.

#22 Posted by PunyParker (12581 posts) - - Show Bio

Non Spoiler discussion....: Richard Elson's art is FANTASTIC!!!

The BEST i've seen in years of ASM....(since Mcniven in Brand New Day...for me)

i mean look at this!!

WONDERFULL!!

Please someone find me the last page with Spiderman and Dock Ock(background)....please!

#23 Posted by pulseangel666 (313 posts) - - Show Bio

@PunyParker :)

:

#24 Posted by PunyParker (12581 posts) - - Show Bio

@pulseangel666:

#25 Edited by LastOblivion (141 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, I don't think Otto is going to be the Superior Spider Man. ... I just don't. Also, Superior isn't Parker, right? Technically, Otto is Peter now. :p But at the same time, he isn't, so he still can be Superior! AAAH, damn you Slott, stop playing with me. Oh, and can anyone tell me who's in the area where Peter and Otto are? I can't read the issues until next week, which is when I get home! DD: Btw I'm still hoping for an epic Norman appearence in all of this.

... PETE WON'T DIE!

#26 Posted by gotwillpower (679 posts) - - Show Bio

@thespidey307 said:

I hope the heroes will start to notice something "different" about Spider-Man, or maybe at least Mary-Jane.

But would they ever think that Dock Ock is inhabiting Peter's mind? They might consider an impostor, but never that someone took control of Peter's body. That's why it's so scary. It's also why Peter's going to have to fight Ock back, because there's really no other way to stop him.

#27 Posted by SmashBrawler (5978 posts) - - Show Bio

@gotwillpower said:

@thespidey307 said:

But would they ever think that Dock Ock is inhabiting Peter's mind? They might consider an impostor, but never that someone took control of Peter's body. That's why it's so scary. It's also why Peter's going to have to fight Ock back, because there's really no other way to stop him.

I don't see why not, weirder things have happened in the Marvel Universe.

#28 Posted by PunyParker (12581 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Posted by Teerack (7421 posts) - - Show Bio

This is my current theory.

Sense peter died inside of Doc Ock's body and Ock is still alive inside of Peter's body. The preview page of Spider-man 700 where uncle Ben tells Peter he needs to wake up has me thinking about where he would wake up if Doc Ock is in his body... then i remembered in issue 697 Osborn comes out of his comma at the end when he was supposed to be brain dead. What if Peter is in Normans body and has to be the Green Goblin to kill Doc Ock as Spider-man. In the end I dont care if Peter dies or retires or what, but i don't want him to end up in a different body/life and I don't want anyone else to get Peter's body/life.
#30 Posted by p3t3r133 (96 posts) - - Show Bio

I was partially thinking/hoping that the whole tweet about Miguel was a red herring, for a lot of reasons, but mostly I dont think Spider-Mans going to be replaced, whenever Marvel does anything like this the new covers it and make a big deal about it, but the discussion for this has been strictly on message boards, twitter and comic news sites. The lead up to Ultimate Spider Man dying was like 2 months. But I started reading 2099 and I've started to see things as to why this would work with Miguel. Tyler Stone (Ty) just got fired from Horizon, because basically hes a douche and evil. Tyler Stone in 2099 is the head of Alchemax, I figure that Ty Stone goes off and starts Alchemax on his own, and then the 2099 guy is a descendant. This would fit too because Ty stone has been around for a while, and posted that pic from Spider Island, so Slott could have been planning this for a while. Because hes been planning it for this long and nothing has been advertised about it I dont think Peter Parker will die, but like I said earlier, even if he dies and gets replaced, he will be brought back in a few months because thats just what happens.

#31 Posted by kingjoeg (693 posts) - - Show Bio

Really hope Peter beats Dock ock in 700 and doesn't die, so therefore he can mentor the new guy who is being spider-man whilst working at horizon labs.

#32 Posted by Z3RO180 (6709 posts) - - Show Bio

@PunyParker: would you recomend reading issue 698 ?

#33 Posted by gotwillpower (679 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler said:

@gotwillpower said:

@thespidey307 said:

I don't see why not, weirder things have happened in the Marvel Universe.

I change my mind, I totally agree with you. The first commenter on the ASM 698 Comicvine review asked what would happen if someone read Peter's mind (while Ock is in it). That would totally make them figure it out.

#34 Posted by HushoftheWind (1111 posts) - - Show Bio

man i really do appreciate the different characterizations and mannerism each comic hero has. NOBODY, question what the hell was going on, not Cap, not Wolverine, not anybody in the bunch at the raft question or question it further to why Ock(Peter) ask for Peter specifically. Now if Batman, was there (yes, im going there), he would have no doubt question and quested to figure why Ock(peter) specifically asked for Peter Parker. As a fan of many comic heroes, i really think that's great you can ask yourself "What would _____ do if that situation occurred?" Sorry for going off topic, just thought i share.

#35 Edited by Sufferthorn (1738 posts) - - Show Bio

@Z3RO180: Yes....but do NOT touch the spoiler warning if you're going to.

To me, this suggests that Doc Ock was Spider-man throughout all of issue 698....and maybe even before that.

@HushoftheWind said:

man i really do appreciate the different characterizations and mannerism each comic hero has. NOBODY, question what the hell was going on, not Cap, not Wolverine, not anybody in the bunch at the raft question or question it further to why Ock(Peter) ask for Peter specifically. Now if Batman, was there (yes, im going there), he would have no doubt question and quested to figure why Ock(peter) specifically asked for Peter Parker. As a fan of many comic heroes, i really think that's great you can ask yourself "What would _____ do if that situation occurred?" Sorry for going off topic, just thought i share.

I think every one of them understood what it was like to have a Villain know personal things about you, Wolverine definitely does, Captain America and etc. So they didn't question it.

#36 Posted by EscGamer (125 posts) - - Show Bio

Fellas I think we're on to something with the Norman thing. Think about it lately Spidey has been using a glider in battles and wearing a bag'o tricks to take out enemies so I wouldn't be surprised if he managed to take control of Osborn's body don the Green Gob Garbs and went after Spider-Ock. Not a bad way to end the comic

#37 Posted by p3t3r133 (96 posts) - - Show Bio

@EscGamer said:

Fellas I think we're on to something with the Norman thing. Think about it lately Spidey has been using a glider in battles and wearing a bag'o tricks to take out enemies so I wouldn't be surprised if he managed to take control of Osborn's body don the Green Gob Garbs and went after Spider-Ock. Not a bad way to end the comic

I agree somethings going on with Norman but I'm pretty sure Doc Oc was spiderman by the time the hob goblin battle happened, also Norman disappeared before Ocs body died, and Peter was in Ocs body when that happened so unless he was in 2 at once Peter can't be Norman

#38 Posted by deadpoolspidey877 (113 posts) - - Show Bio

no i think dock ock became peter sometime in between 697-698 that will be explained next issue, because first, doc ock was most likely spider man the entire issue, you can tell simply by the fact that the dialogue coming from parker was a little weird and ock- like. plus, peter at first did not recognize his wound from the hobgoblin fight, and the only reason he did was because the octobot was watching for ock the whole time, so at some point in between the two issues, parker's mind was switched with ocks (and this may have to do with parkers blocking of his own spider sense in 697)

#39 Edited by p3t3r133 (96 posts) - - Show Bio

@deadpoolspidey877Pete, I dont know how could oc have switched when he was in a coma, i think spiderman is in doc oc since their battle and that pete has been in doc controlling his automations, the giant gold octobot has been coming to shore since Ends of the Earth, they showed it in a panel or two and Slott mentioned it in an interview and I think Peter is doing this, it's already been shown Pete controls the little spider bots because one said his name. And now that the oc body is dead Petes mind has to be somewhere, my guess is the giant robot

*fixed types

#40 Edited by Teerack (7421 posts) - - Show Bio

This is gonna me torturer because there are a lot more then just two issue left... Besides 699 and 700 there is 699.1 and Avenging Spider-man 15.1.

EDIT: Actually i remember at comic con Dan Slott said to read 700 before 15.1 and they come out the same day, so i guess it's just 699.1 that will make me feel like we have to wait forever.

#41 Edited by PunyParker (12581 posts) - - Show Bio

@Z3RO180 said:

@PunyParker: would you recomend reading issue 698 ?

If you are interested in the upcoming Superior,hell yeah...!!

Generally its a good issue with interesting storytelling and FANTASTIC art...

P.S. Stop writing with spoilers....the issue is out,everybody knows it...

#42 Posted by Vermoot (95 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the mind switch may have something to do with Peter using Otto's techie thing to control the octobots in the end of Spider-Island. Ock used to control octobots with his mind using this thing, and pete using it may have triggered something.

But as obviously ock wasn't in control of Pete's body (not completely at least) until 698, maybe it was progressive in some way. Or delayed. Actually I don't know but I think it may have something to do with it.

I also really like the idea of Peter taking control of brain-dead-Norman's body, even if it is chronologically very weird. A Norman/Peter Vs Peter/Otto battle would be EPIC.

#43 Posted by Razero (336 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm wondering how Ock discovered his identity.

#44 Posted by p3t3r133 (96 posts) - - Show Bio

He wouldnt need to know who he was to switch bodies with him, he probably just found out after the switch

#45 Posted by MadRooster81 (182 posts) - - Show Bio

Do we know if Norman woke up from the coma or is it that his body just isn't at the hospital anymore? At this point, Norman's body is gone. I don't think anyone saw him wake up.

Also, Slott stated that Peter Parker wasn't going to be Spider-man in Superior, he never said Peter was going to die. Maybe Peter changes his identity. One last attempt to completely get away from his enemies.

#46 Posted by BreZeJ (48 posts) - - Show Bio

@MadRooster81: Either someone took his body or he got up. Somebody went out that window since it was open.

#47 Posted by Vermoot (95 posts) - - Show Bio

@MadRooster81: Actually, Norman being taken but not awoken adds up with the Peter-Norman theory. That'd be nice !

I also think that Peter being in somebody else's body to escape from his enemies would be kinda sad because it would mean the end of supporting characters.

#48 Edited by PunyParker (12581 posts) - - Show Bio

They didnt just add Norman's "escape" .....there is some sort of sub-plot to it!

#49 Posted by Vermoot (95 posts) - - Show Bio

@PunyParker: Of course there is. Nothing is meaningless in Slott's writing, right ? And I'm sure glad Norman's part of it. Hope we see some original Green Goblin, it's been a loooooong time.

#50 Posted by Strider92 (16833 posts) - - Show Bio

@PunyParker: Just got the chance to read ASM 698 and in a way i'm glad because it confirmed that Ock is not Superior. If Ock is in Peter's body he doesn't need claws to climb walls. So yay! No Ock Spider-man (i hope lol).

What I guess is going to happen is:

Somehow Dr Strange is going to get in contact with Peter (as we already know Strange has something to do with it. Maybe he meets Pete's ghost on a trip to the astral plane I dunno). He'll try to put Peter back in his body but he won't be able too. However he will put him into Otto's body and regenerate him (basically Peter Parker's mind in a young/fit Otto's body). The Other (who is going to a appear in Scarlet Spider in issue 12) will sense that Peter is back to life and give him the claws. The eyes could simply be to enhance his vision as Ock always wore glasses due to being short sighted. Back with Peter and Ezekiel only 1 Spider-totem can live at the same time hence the reason the Other gives Peter a chance to reclaim his place.

Thus Otto in Pete's body and Pete in Otto's new young Other-powered body will duke it out. However we heard from Slott that a lot of Spider-man's villain's are turning up for 699 so what could happen is all the villains attack Spider-Ock thinking he's the real thing (Heck maybe Norman Osborn will kill Spider-Ock when he realizes its not Peter? Or maybe Norman will kill him thinking its Peter? He's crazy enough to do either lol). Pete will watch his body die and stay inside Otto's new young one. So everyone watches in horror as "Spider-man" gets killed by his enemies when in fact its going to be Ock. Something tells me Pete might even throw Otto to the dogs as it were for taking his body hence his change in character.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.