Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Am I the only one who thinks he should have organic webbing?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3255e75dae4
    deactivated-5e3255e75dae4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I know the web shooters are iconic and that they show Peters intellect, but seriously, how smart can he be? People who make something like web shooters end up going to Harvard or Oxford, then find their own company and make millions. They don't dress up in a tight costume and take pictures for a crappy newspaper.

I seriously can't be the only one who thinks this.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

@gor724: Pete gave up every opportunity for personal gain (ie: going to a good university etc...) to fight crime. It was one of the major problems he had because he missed classes or other important events to stop villains not to mention the last time he used his abilities god-given or otherwise it made him arrogant and cost him the life of someone he loved that underlying message probably has held him back a lot.

Regardless Peter Parker is now the head of Parker industries and soon to be the head of a maximum security prison for containing and depowering super-villains. If he ain't rich now he will be very soon.

Krypton-115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

In the original spider-man movies he had organic webbing, and I didn't really like it, because web shooters also bring trouble when they get destroyed in battle and spidey has to change his tactics. Also organic webbing just seems weird, where does the web come from? Does he have some kind of reservoir in his arms instead of blood?

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

No, I like him with Web-Shooters.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw Tobey Maguire spiderman before ever reading a spiderman comic so that is how I prefer him to be but I still like the web shooters a lot.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Superguy1591

Why is he Spider-Man if he doesn't spin his own web? Shouldn't he just be really athletic man? He has more in common with an Ant than a Spider without webbing.

Ants jump high, ants can lift more than their weight, ants can climb walls...

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3255e75dae4
    deactivated-5e3255e75dae4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

In the original spider-man movies he had organic webbing, and I didn't really like it, because web shooters also bring trouble when they get destroyed in battle and spidey has to change his tactics. Also organic webbing just seems weird, where does the web come from? Does he have some kind of reservoir in his arms instead of blood?

He has spinnerets in his forearms.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

I think he should have both.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@strider92: One of the many dumb things about Spider-Man, anyone who has ever taken 1 college class knows that you only need to pick lecture classes if you don't want to show.

Plus, if he's smart enough to invent web-shooters, he shouldn't be a struggling poor dude. Spider-Man = Dumb.

Outsethero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@superguy1591: I feel like you completely missed his last sentence where he specifically said that Peter Parker is currently the CEO of his own company, Parker Industries, and soon to be the head of a maximum security prison for containing and depowering super-villains. He is no longer struggling, really. xD

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Cloakx14
    FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the idea of organic web shooters because it adds more to the spider back story, but I don't mind the mechinized web shooters either. So in other words I'm indifferent.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I can't stand the organic, creepy, Cronenberg body-horror-esque webbing.

If Spider-Man had "authentic" Spider webbing he would be shooting it out of his ass and swinging through New York upside down.

and the amount of webbing he'd have to produce, the guy would need his forearms to be hollow and filled to the brim up to the elbow with web-fluid, and after every prolonged battle he'd pass out from dehydration or something as his body tried to make the stuff.

Also Spider-Man is very intelligent anyway, and even if he wasn't doing anything with his life (which currently, as has been mentioned he is), the world is full of highly intelligent people who never achieve anything in their lives through lack of motivation, lazyness, etc.

porthunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't know, I think it would be weird. How? A hole in his wrist? That's completely weird.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@erik: This. I think he should have organic but webshooters for special purposes.

goobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Movie didn't even give me the impression that he was smart for having them since he bought most of the stuff off the internet.

I_NEED_A_HORSE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Well he DID have organic webbing until that hack Quesada decided it would be a good idea to destroy everything about Spider-Man :P

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@superguy1591:

Hey come on dude, is it really necessary for you to come on here just to troll Spiderman. I mean ok, he ain't Superman, but most of us like him just the way he is.

Anyway, to answer the question, I did actually quite like him spinning webs in the Raimi films, but obviously the web shooters are iconic.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#19  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt  Online

I like both, however the web shooters offer more variety as well as an increased level of suspense if they are damaged or missing.

Hellfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the IDEA of organic web shooting but definitely agree with the oddity of where? How? Etc. I enjoyed the web shooters in the new Amazing Spider-Man movies, and from what I have picked up on (from comics, movies) he is incredibly intelligent but has different priorities. Assumed his priority is directed to crime fighting because he feels like he was called to that, but later focuses different.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By w0nd

@gor724 said:

I know the web shooters are iconic and that they show Peters intellect, but seriously, how smart can he be? People who make something like web shooters end up going to Harvard or Oxford, then find their own company and make millions. They don't dress up in a tight costume and take pictures for a crappy newspaper.

I seriously can't be the only one who thinks this.

you're not the only person who thinks this. Green Goblin said pretty much the same thing he did, "you invented web shooters when you were 15 years old!" Spider-man's life has always been that way, it was revealed he holds himself back out of guilt and believes he doesn't deserve nice things...then he got a job at horizon, so it ended up working out for him. I guess you don't read much spider-man? Maybe you do, idk but he has answered your questions numerous times...stupid reasons, depressing ones, but they always had to do with self esteem and not being able to balance his life.

In avengers academy one of the students mentioned he could have marketed himself as spider-man, and had the checks come in to the company instead of his last name so no one would know who he was.

Outsethero

I don't know if owning Parker industries counts because technically doc ock did that,so I stopped at horizon

Countbaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Countbaron

One my friend like to draw a comics... he do that just for self... i read some of them... he make one character very similiar to spider-man... That character is based on the some insect which have glands for cobweb like spider.. i can not remind now which insect that is..... that character have in his body glands for cobweb.... in the comic he make, that is character operated by one of his scientist friend - that scientist make, ends of glands on the hands like to spiderman.... and that can launch a thread under-pressure of the flesh and skin... I really love that character... he have and claws/or it was something like that.... and i wish that will one day my friend find a way to publish his comics.... Anyway.. i wanna say that he solve problem for organic webbing... and i never hear that spiderman have cobweb glands.... or he have ? So solution for organic webbing are glands :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.