Am I the only one looking forward to Superior Spider-man?

#1 Posted by Eric10956 (14 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never been a spider-man fan, but when i heard about what happened in Amazing Spider-man i thought it was a good time to drop in. What do you guys think?

#2 Posted by gridde (91 posts) - - Show Bio

It's always good to give new series' a try, but if you've never followed Spider-Man before, you might find Superior quite confusing. One of its biggest themes will be how all the relationships Peter has fostered over the years are effected by the change in the status-quo.

#3 Posted by Earth616 (174 posts) - - Show Bio

I's excited to see the reactions of everybody, but I'm really really just looking forward to seeing Pete back. I mean, if it lasts like 6 months or whatever, and we just get to see the reactions of the FF, Avengers, MJ, etc, and then Pete comes back quickly before we get bored of seeing Ock mess up things for him or whatever he's gonna do...... Basically, I just want to see the reactions, and then get Pete back. That would be quick and easy........... *twitch* *twitch*

#4 Posted by Duke_Nasty (1017 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes

#5 Posted by ghinzdra (20 posts) - - Show Bio

F.... NO!!!

I don't know what irrates me the most : that they greenlit a storyline as awful as this with the possibility of making this thing the canon spiderman? or that it will most likely be nothing more than a stunt, something erased within a year, give or take, come ASM2; which implies they don't give a flying f... about character development.

Something like this should never have happened in the first place. Screw Marvel.

#6 Posted by PunyParker (12583 posts) - - Show Bio

@Eric10956: I'm looking forward it too.....i expect Pete to be back,but i'll enjoy the ride as long as it lasts.....at the end,its Peter's body,and everyone knows its Peter,but it isnt...thats what makes it interesting!

#7 Posted by Teerack (7421 posts) - - Show Bio

How exactly did you you come to the conclusion that is was a good time to drop ASM when you've never read it?

#8 Posted by mewmdude77 (960 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm looking forward to it. Since Doc Ock has all of Peter's memories, he'll still be a responsible hero, but just edgier, and a little more mature. People have been complaining about how Peter has been acting too much like a teenager, and this solves that. It's still Peter's body, and Peter's memories are there too, but Doc Ock has more maturity and has lived a longer life. I'm excited for an edgier Spider-Man, but Peter will be back someday.

#9 Posted by MrArrogant (149 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm very excited for it; Dan Slott has proven himself a great spider-man writer, and I always like when a book shake things up. Plus with Stegman and Ramos on art duties you can't really go wrong.

#10 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2685 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm STILL raging over this travesty. The only reason I'll be reading it is because I wanna see just what in the wide world of Krypton Marvel has planned for this. It really is like a train wreck for me. I KNOW I should look away, but I can't.

#11 Posted by Vance Astro (91404 posts) - - Show Bio
@Teerack said:

How exactly did you you come to the conclusion that is was a good time to drop ASM when you've never read it?

I think you misread the OP. 

@ghinzdra said:

F.... NO!!!

I don't know what irrates me the most : that they greenlit a storyline as awful as this with the possibility of making this thing the canon spiderman? or that it will most likely be nothing more than a stunt, something erased within a year, give or take, come ASM2; which implies they don't give a flying f... about character development.

Something like this should never have happened in the first place. Screw Marvel.

What do you mean they don't care about character development, they've been developing Peter Parker and Otto Octavius for longer than i've lived and probably longer than you have as well. Try something new, maybe you'll like it. I didn't like Hank Pym before Slott wrote Mighty Avengers now I find him to be a decent character. He may actually have an interesting idea for Superior Spider-Man.
#12 Posted by GraniteSoldier (8933 posts) - - Show Bio

I was hesitant at first, and although I was not overly thrilled with how Peter went out at 700, it was kind of nice seeing him die what many considered a "less heroic" death as opposed to the out with a bang that many comic heroes get. Anyway being a Spider-Man fan my whole life, I feel less attachment and perhaps less bias to Superior, and I think it allows to take more risks with the character than Marvel would otherwise let Slott take. I've had a love-hate relationship with Slott's material, but I'm wiping my opinion slate clean come Superior #1. I hope they don't rush bring Peter back, I'd like to see it develop over the course of at least a year personally. I'm personally hoping for a Superior/Kaine confrontation and a Superior/Flash-Venom confrontation. It's good to take a risk with an established character now and then I suppose.

#13 Posted by arnoldoaad (1007 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this is the first time i have ever been exited by Spiderman

Maybe because I really dont like 616 Peter Parker, specially after OMD, now it feels like spiderman finally got guts

#14 Posted by thephantomstranger (129 posts) - - Show Bio

I spoiled myself on what happens because I don't read Spider-man, or anything as of late due to being straight up broke, because I heard Matt Wilson talk it up and now I want to see what they do with it.

Specifically I'm interested because I've heard a lot about the very beginning of the character being an excellent treatment of character development for the time but I can't just go back in time to experience that. This whole thing has a similar set up right down to Spider-man being an evil scientist type initially. Just from the Comics Alliance article I spoiled myself with it all seems very optimistic but paradoxically disturbing at the same time.

#15 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (8023 posts) - - Show Bio

A lot of people are, but I'm not excited. Not getting the book also.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.