Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17241 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Age of Ultron #1 Spider-man is Inferior?

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By gotwillpower

What I mean is, is the Spider-man in Age of Ultron #1 Superior Spider-man (Doc Ock?)

He seems way too light-hearted, much more like Amazing Spider-man. Or maybe it's just me. I definitely like it more than Superior Spider-man, but isn't it wrong? Shouldn't it be Superior Spider-man? What do you guys think?

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Ninjablade09

@gotwillpower: He might be just because Age was written like a year ago. All the tie ins were written recently. So maybe that's why haven't read Age1 yet is it good.

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3  Edited By gotwillpower

@Ninjablade09 said:

@gotwillpower: He might be just because Age was written like a year ago. All the tie ins were written recently. So maybe that's why haven't read Age1 yet is it good.

Oh, I didn't realize when it was written.

If you like Hawkeye, you'll love it. If you don't, you probably still like it. Plus, the art is really nice (especially the cover).

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Ninjablade09

@gotwillpower said:

@Ninjablade09 said:

Oh, I didn't realize when it was written.

If you like Hawkeye, you'll love it. If you don't, you probably still like it. Plus, the art is really nice (especially the cover).

Cool look into it not a big Hawkeye fan but what ever. I have always liked Ultron so that's what keeps me interested. Ya this was teased in like 2010, and I think in some interview Bendis said from like 2010 to 2012 is when he wrote it or something like that.

(Edit: It was teased last year on free comic book day and written from 2011--2012)

Sprayer1218

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Sprayer1218

I thought the same thing. I read it earlier and thought it almost has to be Amazing, especially since you know who "scanned" him and said he was clear. Although, I will throw in that if it is not, then it doesn't look good for Amazing because that means that the Avengers have accepted Superior.

Other than that, I thought the first AOU was pretty decent. Obviously a set-up issue to let everyone know what is going on, a little bit at least. I love the no bullshit attitude Hawkeye has too. Very much looking forward to the second installment and Superior Spider-man #6AU.

Adriell2124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Adriell2124

@Ninjablade09: Would Marvel really allow that large of a discrepancy though? Maybe even if it's a Superior tie-in, it'll still be normal Parker?

icarusflew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By icarusflew

if it was superior, then emma scanned him and wouldve found out, plus she still has her telepathy so im guessing the phoenix thing didn't happen either

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Phaedrusgr

Guys, it's obvious it's Peter. Probably something happens during the Age of Ultron and ...

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JonSmith

@gotwillpower: @Phaedrusgr: Spidey was obviously being tortured during that week. And given Otto's previous response to unexpected pain (see Superior Spider-Man #1) I'd suspect when the pain started, the good doctor stepped out for a bit. And guess who was in a hurry to step back in, even in spite of the pain and torture?

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Phaedrusgr

@JonSmith: Hm, not bad...good call, man!

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By PunyParker

@gotwillpower said:

What I mean is, is the Spider-man in Age of Ultron #1 Superior Spider-man (Doc Ock?)

He seems way too light-hearted, much more like Amazing Spider-man. Or maybe it's just me. I definitely like it more than Superior Spider-man, but isn't it wrong? Shouldn't it be Superior Spider-man? What do you guys think?

Really??....Spoiler banner,now?....REALLY??

TheCowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheCowman

@PunyParker said:

Hey, some people might still not know that Peter Parker was replaced by the Chameleon.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ninjablade09

@Adriell2124: You never know. They did just kill off there most well loved character.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PunyParker

@TheCowman said:

@PunyParker said:

Hey, some people might still not know that Peter Parker was replaced by the Chameleon.

Hey!! But Peter Parker wasnt repla......AWWWWWWW

gridde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By gridde

@Sprayer1218 said:

I thought the same thing. I read it earlier and thought it almost has to be Amazing, especially since you know who "scanned" him and said he was clear. Although, I will throw in that if it is not, then it doesn't look good for Amazing because that means that the Avengers have accepted Superior.

Other than that, I thought the first AOU was pretty decent. Obviously a set-up issue to let everyone know what is going on, a little bit at least. I love the no bullshit attitude Hawkeye has too. Very much looking forward to the second installment and Superior Spider-man #6AU.

Not sure about that; he's still getting fired from the Avengers a little down the line, isn't he?

It could easily still be Superior Spider-Man. Remember that, right now, Emma's powers are broken and she is nowhere near as powerful as she used to be. They could explain her not being able to detect him as a result of this.

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Phaedrusgr

@gridde: He's talking like Peter, especially at the part he's on the floor, exhausted, saying he's comfortable there. This can't be Otto.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ninjablade09

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By TDK_1997

I think that in Age of Ultron #1it's still Peter.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ninjablade09

Preview for Age of Ultron issue 2

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By JakeN7

@Ninjablade09: Yeah it's definitely Amazing (even the costume is back to normal.) Which is strange because in the Superior Spider-Man tie-in, it is clearly Otto with his Superior suit and the utilization of the Spider-Bots. Makes no sense. We really need some context for this event. I'm so confused!

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ninjablade09

@JakeN7: They should have put this event of until next year so Peter would be back. That's really what confuses most people.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JakeN7

@Ninjablade09 said:

@JakeN7: They should have put this event of until next year so Peter would be back. That's really what confuses most people.

Well yeah, but I'm still confused as to how everything got to the way it was, why Wolverine's outfit is different, why Emma is back to her "White Queen" look, why Hawkeye is kiling people, etc, etc. I know things will only get crazier from here and will involve time travel and new universes, but I really hope Bendis is able to take a step back at some point and put things in perspective. I'm really curious as to what the hell's going on!

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ninjablade09

@JakeN7 said:

@Ninjablade09 said:

Well yeah, but I'm still confused as to how everything got to the way it was, why Wolverine's outfit is different, why Emma is back to her "White Queen" look, why Hawkeye is kiling people, etc, etc. I know things will only get crazier from here and will involve time travel and new universes, but I really hope Bendis is able to take a step back at some point and put things in perspective. I'm really curious as to what the hell's going on!

That's the thing this was written like last year or the year before so Marvel NOW! was either not yet a plan or in early stages. So they didn't give Bendis a chance to get caught up with the main books for this. I think Marvel NOW! should have come after this or this should have been delayed.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JakeN7

@Ninjablade09 said:

@JakeN7 said:

@Ninjablade09 said:

That's the thing this was written like last year or the year before so Marvel NOW! was either not yet a plan or in early stages. So they didn't give Bendis a chance to get caught up with the main books for this. I think Marvel NOW! should have come after this or this should have been delayed.

Yeah. I'm sure they'll make it work somehow though. Consistency and continuity are damn important to the comic book industry.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ninjablade09

@JakeN7 said:

@Ninjablade09 said:

@JakeN7 said:

@Ninjablade09 said:

Yeah. I'm sure they'll make it work somehow though. Consistency and continuity are damn important to the comic book industry.

Tell that to DC.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JakeN7

@Ninjablade09 said:

@JakeN7 said:

@Ninjablade09 said:

@JakeN7 said:

@Ninjablade09 said:

Tell that to DC.

Touché mon ami, touché indeed.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Ninjablade09

@JakeN7: I am glad I'm taking French or else I would have had no idea what you meant

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JakeN7

@Ninjablade09 said:

@JakeN7: I am glad I'm taking French or else I would have had no idea what you meant

Lol. French has always interested me, but where I live Spanish is much more practical. That's why I've taken 4 semesters of Spanish, and 0 semesters of French. I just know a few phrases. They are very similar languages though, both derived from Latin.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ninjablade09

@JakeN7 said:

@Ninjablade09 said:

Lol. French has always interested me, but where I live Spanish is much more practical. That's why I've taken 4 semesters of Spanish, and 0 semesters of French. I just know a few phrases. They are very similar languages though, both derived from Latin.

Ya was going to take Spanish this year but the class was full so I had to take French.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By JakeN7

@Ninjablade09 said:

@JakeN7 said:

@Ninjablade09 said:

Ya was going to take Spanish this year but the class was full so I had to take French.

That's ok. English, French, and Spanish are the only three international or "world" languages. You can't help but benefit from learning any of them, regardless of where you live.

And just so it doesn't look like we're completely off topic:

¡Sorprendente Hombre Araña!
    Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Ninjablade09

@JakeN7 said:

@Ninjablade09 said:

@JakeN7 said:

@Ninjablade09 said:

That's ok. English, French, and Spanish are the only three international or "world" languages. You can't help but benefit from learning any of them, regardless of where you live.

And just so it doesn't look like we're completely off topic:

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By JakeN7

Alright guys, here it is. Bendis specifically says that that was in fact Superior Spider-Man in his interview with Newsarama. He doesn't really give an explanation of why there's a personality and costume change though.

Here's the quote:

Newsarama: It's been said that since everyone knew this story was coming so it didn't take much maneuvering to make it fit with the current Marvel slate. So that's Superior Spider-Man in the first issue?

Bendis: Yes. But it's not going to be a major Superior Spider-Man chapter. There's not going to be any big reveals about Peter or Otto in this. For those following, yes, it fits right in. For all intents and purposes to these characters, it's Peter.

Newsarama: Spider-Man's dialogue seemed to be written nimbly so that it could reasonably be interpreted either way, as Peter or Otto.

Bendis: I have massaged these scripts up until the moment you read them. And not only just for Spider-Man, but to reference all the Marvel NOW! stuff that we can.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Ninjablade09

Cool.

Avatar image for shamelesslysupportinaznballers
    Shamelesslysupportinaznballers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

people are getting too worked up over silly stuff. Age of Ultron hmmmmm....if it's anything like Age of X & Age of Apocalypse I guess technically in continuity but in the end it's just another What If story.

CptPanda29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By CptPanda29

I wish writers would just talk to each other more,

"Hey guy writing Spider-Man, is there anything that I need to take into account writing this massive crossover thing your character is in?"

"Nope."

Like Pete got the Avengers involved when he had enough of Punisher killing people, and now he's killing instead... Dammit as soon as I'm getting used to this there's another reason it's dumb.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#36  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

@gotwillpower said:

I was thinking that also. Is this event set in the future? it could mean parker got his body back.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By KnightRise

@TheCowman said:

@PunyParker said:

WHAT? When did this happen?? You've spoiled all my hopes and dreams. I will never read comics again! Whats next, Peter gets replaced by a clone? Jason Todd gets killed? Nah, nevermind. Robins don't die.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By PunyParker

@KnightRise: i feel you bro...

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Shawnbaby

@CptPanda29 said:

"Hey guy writing Spider-Man, is there anything that I need to take into account writing this massive crossover thing your character is in?"

"Nope."

Like Pete got the Avengers involved when he had enough of Punisher killing people, and now he's killing instead... Dammit as soon as I'm getting used to this there's another reason it's dumb.

As already stated...it was written long before the Superior Spider-Man was on the table...and Bendis has confirmed that, as much as possible, he's been updating the Story to take into account the Marvel Now stuff. As far as the continuity errors concerning Spidey...well...so far he's got the wrong costume on....but that kind of thing happens a lot anyway with any crossover. As far as the dialogue "sounding more like Peter" is concerned...well..it can be easily explained away as Otto, after his recent encounter with Wolverine trying to get Rachel to scan his mind because he thought Spidey was acting weird, is trying harder to act more like Peter when among by his peers.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Ninjablade09

@Shawnbaby said:

@CptPanda29 said:

"Nope."

As already stated...it was written long before the Superior Spider-Man was on the table...and Bendis has confirmed that, as much as possible, he's been updating the Story to take into account the Marvel Now stuff. As far as the continuity errors concerning Spidey...well...so far he's got the wrong costume on....but that kind of thing happens a lot anyway with any crossover. As far as the dialogue "sounding more like Peter" is concerned...well..it can be easily explained away as Otto, after his recent encounter with Wolverine trying to get Rachel to scan his mind because he thought Spidey was acting weird, is trying harder to act more like Peter when among by his peers.

Huh... Never thought of it like that, wasn't to concerned about that anyways but that's a great way to explain it.

CptPanda29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By CptPanda29

@Shawnbaby: That's hardly an excuse, if anything makes it worse. If it's on the table long before SSM how did no one notice this? They're both as canon as each other but one is getting overlooked as it was written far better than Marvel is used to.

That was a bit harsh, but I'm so burned out on Marvel and DC now - regular ass Batman is just about the only book I can read after a year or so of finally being able to buy comics as they come out instead of getting decade old collections or worse just pirating what I can't find / they don't want to take my money for.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#42  Edited By TDK_1997

After issue 2 I'm starting to think that that is actually Pete.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#43  Edited By consolemaster001

@Ninjablade09 said:

Probably

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Ninjablade09

In the tie in it is revealed that it is SpOck just acting like Peter.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.