Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

A Journey Into the Universe of Japanese Superheroes

Boddington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Boddington

No Caption Provided
    Think you're immune to the charms of cult Japanese superheroes? Think again, pal. For the past four decades now, virtually every generation of TV-watching young'uns in America have been exposed to, if not utterly enthralled, by spandex-sporting crime fighters from the Far East. From Ultraman in the '70s, Kikaider reruns in the '80s, and the phenomenon that was Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers in the '90s, they have been waging an all-out assault on our brains in garishly colored outfits for quite some time.

Shocking as it may sound, if one judges simply by the abundance of media, the Japanese may be more into superheroes than Americans can ever hope to match. Since the mid-1950s that small island nation has pumped out thousands of individual television series, movies, comics and, yes, even live-action stage performances on the subject of superpowered do-gooders.

Keeping track of it all for American audiences are two experts in the field, Patrick Macias, editor of Otaku USA magazine, and August Ragone, author of Eiji Tsubaraya: Master of Monsters. This past Friday, July 9, the super-knowledgable duo presented a brief history of Japanese superheros in the modern age at the state-of-the-art VIZ Theater in San Francisco Japantown's New People Building, which I was fortunate enough to swing a last-minute attendance.
    == TEASER ==
      Moonlight Mask hunts criminals with guns akimbo, huge laundry bills.
     Moonlight Mask hunts criminals with guns akimbo, huge laundry bills.
    Macias and Ragone's talk focused mainly on live-action television and film depictions of Japanese superheroes. The tale really begins in the mid-1950s, when Japanese studio heads witnessed the sensational reaction the public had to both Eiji Tsubaraya's original Godzilla film and George Reeves' TV serial The Adventures of Superman. Combining the two, studio Shintōhō created the hero Super Giant, a literal man of steel (and a crotch stuffed with cotton) who fought evil at what would later become the traditional stomping grounds for Japanese superhero shows, the nondescript urban or suburban industrial site. Followed a year later by Moonlight Mask, a vigilante who fought crimes wrapped in linen sheets clutching twin .38 Special revolvers, the two shows set off a wave of tokusatsu ("special effects") TV programs and movies that hasn't abated to this day even a little bit.

There are four basic eras/categories of Japanese superhero media: masked heroes, riders, henshin metal hero and super sentai. Most drawing influence from American comics were the masked heroes, such as the above two examples that took cues from Superman and Batman, respectively, but also including the venerable Ultraman, whose franchise is seen as the pinnacle of that sub-genre. Prominent shows from the riders category include Kamen Rider and Kikaider, the latter of which enjoyed huge popularity in Hawaii (youth of the '70s in that state are referred to as "Generation Kikaider"). Perhaps least known in the West among these categories is the henshin ("transforming") metal hero era of the '80s that includes Space Sherrif Gavan and Juuko B-Fighter (a.k.a. Big Bad Beetleborgs). Last, but certainly not least, was the surge in the '90s of super sentai ("military unit") team shows. One needn't look any further than Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers for a fine example of this group.

Spider-Man lays the beatdown on a member of the Iron Cross Army.
     Spider-Man lays the beatdown on a member of the Iron Cross Army.
    Though these shows continue to today the high water mark for viewership was in the '70s when studios were raking in cash hand over fist. Even Marvel wanted to get into this market and ended up licensing a tokusatsu production of Spider-Man to studio giant Toei that premiered in 1978 and ran for forty-one episodes. This show had pretty much nothing to do with the original Stan Lee/ Steve Ditko character and saw motorcycle racer-cum-Spider-Man Takuya Yamashiro battling minions of Professor Monster's Iron Cross Army in a giant robot called the Leopardon. Regardless of how faithful it was to its source material, the show popularized the Spider-Man character in Japan and paved the way for human-piloted giant robots in future super sentai shows.

As the talk proceeded I couldn't help but feel a little sad for the progression of the tokusatsu genre as a whole. Whereas the fan demographic for American superheroes has gradually trended upwards over the past several decades, their Japanese counterparts have slid from all-ages viewerships in the '60s and '70s to mainly lowest common denominator childrens fare in recent times. The emphasis, of course, is to push as much tie-in merchandising as possible and if the story buckles under the weight of bi-weekly new characters and powers then so be it--there's always a new show just around the corner. 

This dispensable quality of Japanese superheroes is perhaps one of the biggest differences between their larger-than-life defenders of justice and ours and a major part of the story in each of their respective universes. This is their take on the notion that no amount of evil can ever triumph because for every hero knocked down another, probably stronger one, will just rise up in their place--and that's a concept that translates well no matter which language it's expressed in.
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NightFang3

Interesting.

Retro_Metro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Retro_Metro

Ditto.

Kamen Rider Kajiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I see one thing you did not know yet is that the original two series of Super Sentai where also briefly released in America, one as Star Rangers and the other.. well i forgot about the name but they where both dubbed. XD

Edit: O btw dumb me i forgot to add that Japan's first modern Super Hero Ogon Bat beat Superman to the punch by seven years, He got most of Clark's main power set since exactly 1930

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Captain13

I always thought Ultraman was cooler than Giant man or the Goliaths. =D

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Decept-O

Ultraman rules... 
     This is great, loved reading about the Japanese take on super heroes.  Nicely written article.   
    I am also interested in other countries and their versions of super heroes, if they have any. 
    BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

lol Moonlight Mask looks cool.
    But you can't forget the best hero of them all:

Icemizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Icemizer

Starman was the first I can remember in Attack from Space I believe.
    Kamen Rider Kajiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@Icemizer said:
    " Starman was the first I can remember in Attack from Space I believe. "
    Yep your right, Starman is Super Giant who is japan's first live action hero to be seen in the movies :) But Ogon Bat is Japan's actual first superhero though he wasn't quite the full picture yet. (no secret identity)
    Avatar image for amp___seeker_of_lost_knowledge
    AMP - Seeker of Lost Knowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 14

Besides Power Rangers, I also like Beetleborgs.

Also, Japanese Monster films are still number one in my eyes (Godzilla!)

Roehm21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Roehm21

My big exposure to tokusatsu was Power Rangers like most folks. Another big one for me was Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad aka Denkou ChoujinGridman. Even had an old figure of the dragon program. As kaiju and other toku sub-genres have grown on me I've gotten big into Ultraman and some of the spin off shows. Iron King is still one of my personal favorites though. 

Great article btw, Mr Ragone mention it but saidly I'm on the other side of the country.
    Thor'sHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Thor'sHammer
    @Decept-O:   As far as super heroes from other countries goes you should check out the Monkey King from China.  Not only is he a legendary superpowered adept Buddahist with 88 powers, he also has a flying cloud.  Sun Wukong (Monkey King) is the inspirtation for Goku from Dragonball Z, and has tons of comics, tv, and movies.  Also, another cool Japanese hero is Tiger Mask. He is a superpowered wrestler, King from Tekken is based on him.
    DemonicBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By DemonicBlade

Where would the be without Japanese TV heroes? My thanks to JAPAN!!

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Decept-O
    @BiteMe-Fanboy:
    Wow, Kikkoman even got himself some tuna. 
    Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Decept-O
    @Thor'sHammer:
    Thanks for that info.  Now I will have to search for them. 
    ARMIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ARMIV

That Ogon Bat sounds pretty interesting. Not to mention looks pretty cool.

Man of Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Man of Lengend

well i always kinda looked at DBZ  and godzilla like thier superheroes and villians hahaha
    rouju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By rouju

Honestly, I started out like Super Sentai, espescially Gogle V first (the first before Power Ranger and other stuff). And that's how I'm in love with the comic character (those colorful costume really caught my eyes as a child. And I still love Japanese Superheroes!!!! (Kamen Rider ROCKS)

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#18  Edited By cbishop

I used to like the cartoons Star Blazers and Voltron [the lions, not the vehicles - duh ;) ].  I watched some of the live action stuff, including, yes, a little of the Power Rangers, but overall, I didn't like the live stuff.  For one, it was the exact same formula as the cartoons, and two, it was still obviously two guys in costumes, executing low-grade wrestling moves amidst a miniature city-scape.  I don't care for much manga, because of the huge eyes, mostly - they look like Precious Moments figures in superhero gear.  Most of the characters look alike to me, and as I've already said, a lot of it seems to follow the same formula of fighting a giant monster, losing a couple of times, and then breaking out the big weapon to destroy the monster - why don't they just do that the first time? 

One think I love about manga though?  The TITLES!!!  Man, the Japanese can pitch a cool azz title like no others!  The story usually isn't there to go with it, but without thinking of the show, just say the title, and see what it brings to mind for you: "Dragonball" ("meh" to the Z), "Sailor Moon," "Power Rangers," "Six Gun Samurai" (is that one Japanese?), and my personal favorite title, "Cowboy Bebop."  How frickin' cool are those?  Like I said, I don't usually like the story that goes with the title, but MAN, do I like the titles. 

On a serious note though: I usually find the plots danged odd and hard to follow.  That probably has a lot to do with me not discovering a title until it's 6 to 10 volumes in, but I usually take one look and cannot stand it.  The cartoons (anime, whatever) I can get into a little more, but have never followed one from the beginning, so again, the plots kind of lose me.  You can usually pick up enough to know what's going on, but Adult Swim doesn't seem to know the concept of showing them in order.  I literally watched 11 episodes back-to-back of Cowboy Bebop one night (late late night) and they were shown in reverse order! lol

4Essence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By 4Essence

fantastic article
    Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By Manchine

Its a whole different crazy culture over there.  =)
    Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#21  Edited By The Impersonator

Kamen Rider is one of my favorite tokusatsu franchise.
    jonasLighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jonasLighter

Kamen Rider!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.