Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17241 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

6 Worst Comic Book Husbands

• 69 results
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

Edited By JonesDeini
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By joshmightbe

I have a question, why is it that Hank Pym hitting his wife one time 40 years ago while in the middle of a nervous break down is considered so much worse than almost all other instances of brutality and disrespect towards women in comics history? seriously every time hank is mentioned they bring up him back handing his wife while no one ever says anything about the fact that iron man uses women like tissue or that reed richards treats his wife like a retarded child or or that wolverine has absolutly no problem punching a chick full force in the face 

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ReVamp
    @joshmightbe said:
    "I have a question, why is it that Hank Pym hitting his wife one time 40 years ago while in the middle of a nervous break down is considered so much worse than almost all other instances of brutality and disrespect towards women in comics history? seriously every time hank is mentioned they bring up him back handing his wife while no one ever says anything about the fact that iron man uses women like tissue or that reed richards treats his wife like a retarded child or or that wolverine has absolutly no problem punching a chick full force in the face  "

So true... So true, i mean domestic violence is horrible and I am not trying to promote it but, taking into the acount the violence that these women (and men) get on a daily basis, from villains, sparring etc...  you'd expect them to be physical, what if instead, hank tried to hit her but instead she blocked the attack, and smiled. If that happened, then we'd all just grin seeing it was a part of their daily livesand continue reading without second thought. Nobody makes a fuss about richards slapping his wife..

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#3  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Dark Huntress is SO going to love this thread xD

Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#4  Edited By Dracade102

Hank Pym was the first guy who came to mind when I saw this thread.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JonesDeini
    @joshmightbe said:
    " I have a question, why is it that Hank Pym hitting his wife one time 40 years ago while in the middle of a nervous break down is considered so much worse than almost all other instances of brutality and disrespect towards women in comics history? seriously every time hank is mentioned they bring up him back handing his wife while no one ever says anything about the fact that iron man uses women like tissue or that reed richards treats his wife like a retarded child or or that wolverine has absolutly no problem punching a chick full force in the face  "
    Here's the thing about Hank, unlike Tony/Logan he lacks the redeeming qualities that makes fans gravitate towards him. He's generally a dick, so yeah, fans tend not to have any sympathy for the guy. I admit that writers continuing to bring up the "slap heard 'round the world" and continuing to write him as a prick doesn't help.  

Reed's bar none the worse husband in the Marvel or any other comics universe, though. 
    LightBright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By LightBright

Reed Richards. He's probably the worst considering he spends little to no time with his family and he used to (still does?) talk down to Sue as though she were a child. He's just a douche in general, really.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JonesDeini
    @LightBright said:
    " Reed Richards. He's probably the worst considering he spends little to no time with his family and he used to (still does?) talk down to Sue as though she were a child. He's just a douche in general, really. "
    And yet he wonders (though I doubt he actually cares) why Sue's always spreading eagle for Namor 

This is spot on assessment  

LightBright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By LightBright
    @JonesDeini: LOL I'm kind of surprised Sue hasn't permanently left him yet. 
    Avatar image for death_certificate
    Death Certificate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Death Certificate

I'm suprised no one talks about the clone saga peter and mary jane

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JonesDeini
    @Death Certificate said:
    " I'm suprised no one talks about the clone saga peter and mary jane "
    Good one man. Didn't Cyclops have a wife before/after Maddy that he just leaves on an island?
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By joshmightbe
    @JonesDeini: Hank has alot of problems its true but people act like he walks around kicking women's asses all day when in reality it was an isolated incident and wolverine is just as much a prick as hank
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @JonesDeini said:
    " @joshmightbe said:
    " I have a question, why is it that Hank Pym hitting his wife one time 40 years ago while in the middle of a nervous break down is considered so much worse than almost all other instances of brutality and disrespect towards women in comics history? seriously every time hank is mentioned they bring up him back handing his wife while no one ever says anything about the fact that iron man uses women like tissue or that reed richards treats his wife like a retarded child or or that wolverine has absolutly no problem punching a chick full force in the face  "
    Here's the thing about Hank, unlike Tony/Logan he lacks the redeeming qualities that makes fans gravitate towards him. He's generally a dick, so yeah, fans tend not to have any sympathy for the guy. I admit that writers continuing to bring up the "slap heard 'round the world" and continuing to write him as a prick doesn't help.   Reed's bar none the worse husband in the Marvel or any other comics universe, though.  "
    You clearly don't know Hank. He's a better person than Tony, Reed and Logan combined.
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By Mercy_
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By ImperiousRix

I can see why people are defending Hank.  No matter what he does, he'll always be remembered for two things; slapping Janet and creating Ultron.  This makes him a somewhat relatable character because, like many people, he's made huge mistakes that he tries desperately to atone for, but knows that he can never quite erase them.  I commend the character for that, and when he's written correctly, he's very compelling and one of my favorite Marvel characters. 

But the list is worst comic book HUSBANDS, and let's face it, he's never been consistently good to Janet.  Even putting aside the abuse, he's kind of a terrible husband.

Avatar image for josedriveratcr7
    JoseDRiveraTCR7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JoseDRiveraTCR7

God, I hate Reed Richards. Why is Sue still married to him? He's a jerk in the worst possible way. A lot of people say he's too unrelated because he's too smart. BS, it's because he treats everyone like they're stupid and ignores people for his silly ideas.

brantumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By brantumbo

gambit killed bella donna's brother or dad or something(even though he didnt want to). but he still isnt as bad as reed. i do think reed is the worst. the relationship between janet and hank is as much her mental manipulation as his. they are very complicated. i did like the scene in disassembled when a 100 ft tall hank swoops up falcon who is holding janet and rushes them to the hospital. and in the doomwar story arc panther was willing to let doom kill storm to keep the vibranium from him. that is pretty cold blooded, even if it was to keep doom from attaining his godhood or whatever. cant see hank doing that. i could see reed doing that though.

reed or panther

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mercy_

I agree with Reed being number one. He's kind of douchetastic. 

EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18  Edited By EdwardWindsor

Wheres the comics worst wives thread , sexist !!! lol

brantumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By brantumbo

definitely. at least hank TRIES to be a good husband. he really does. hell, reed looked more broke up when he found out about black bolt dying than when he found out his wife was a skrull. i was really enjoying the mighty avengers after the invasion when hank was leading them. they had great stories. i wish they would hurry and resurrect janet(you know they will) and put the pyms back on the avengers where they belong.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By joshmightbe

Cyclops was a much worse husband than Hank, he was married and had a child and as soon as his old girlfreind shows up he dumps his family and pretty much forgets about them until Maddy freaked out basically making him responsible for Inferno, this also makes Scott a bad father, not to mention the awful consequences every one around him had to endure because of his faults as a father and parent making him also a bad freind. Triple threat 

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JonesDeini
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @JonesDeini said:
    " @joshmightbe said:
    Here's the thing about Hank, unlike Tony/Logan he lacks the redeeming qualities that makes fans gravitate towards him. He's generally a dick, so yeah, fans tend not to have any sympathy for the guy. I admit that writers continuing to bring up the "slap heard 'round the world" and continuing to write him as a prick doesn't help.   Reed's bar none the worse husband in the Marvel or any other comics universe, though.  "
    You clearly don't know Hank. He's a better person than Tony, Reed and Logan combined. "
    No, I very much so know Hank Pym. He's done some good things (Pym particles and all that), and he's done some bad. As in real life we are defined by our mistakes, so is Hank. And he's made some significant imprints with his missteps. And I know you could attribute his failings to the things going on in his life at those times (marital problems, his insecurities, mental illness, so on an so forth). I also know he's been dedicating the rest of his life to rectifying those mistakes, especially with regards to Ultron. All that aside the article's about him being a BAD HUSBAND, he was a bad husband before the slap and was a bad one after that.  

As far as Hank being a better human being than Tony or Logan, I call steer shite on that claim. Is Tony a pompous, self-absorbed, womanizing ass? Yes, yes he is. The catch is he's a consistently better written/characterized/developed pompous, self-absorbed, ass. And under Matt Fraction's pen especially he's been doing exactly what Hank's been doing, trying to right his wrongs. I don't know whether it was here or elsewhere but somebody mentioned that Wolvie should be on this list, I think that like the hulk circumstances outside of his control effect his marriages. Somebody also mentioned that he's a bad guy because he doesn't hesitate to hit girls full force in the face. My question is has he ever hit a woman lover or wife in continuity? Also in a general since when has he ever just hauled off and hit a woman that wasn't an enemy and an imminent threat? Wolverine's done A LOT of bad things in his life, often not while in control of himself. But even for those things he's trying to atone and it's played out in a much more interesting way then Hanks journey has IMO.
    iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By iLLituracy

They're all terrific husbands. Their wives sucked. 

And coma rays do solve everything. Yeah, I said it. Quote me.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By joshmightbe
    @JonesDeini: so from your statement I gather that neither Tony or Logan are better people they're just written better. 
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JonesDeini
    @joshmightbe said:
    " @JonesDeini: so from your statement I gather that neither Tony or Logan are better people they're just written better.  "
    More or less, they're all deeply flawed men, but at the end of the day they can all rest easy knowing that they are not Reed Richards ^_^
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By joshmightbe
    @JonesDeini: the bad part about Reed is the fact that DR Doom has been more respectful to Sue than him and He's their mortal enemy
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @JonesDeini: Have you read Slott's Mighty Avengers run? That shows Hank as being a person who has always been looked down upon but has nevertheless, despite having no real reason to, always tried to save the world. He's not a thrill-seeking ***hat like Tony, or a work sociopath like Reed, or a walking cliché like Logan; he's a genuine human being who ****ed up, recognised that he ****ed up, and has dedicated his life to making amends. Hell, he saved the world and the whole of reality multiple times while the "real" Avengers were off complaining about Norman Osborn. He's the Scientist Supreme for a reason.

Reed's never written well. Ultimate Reed was, but then Bendis has to go and **** that up too.
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By daredevil21134

Reed Richards

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JonesDeini
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @JonesDeini: Have you read Slott's Mighty Avengers run? That shows Hank as being a person who has always been looked down upon but has nevertheless, despite having no real reason to, always tried to save the world. He's not a thrill-seeking ***hat like Tony, or a work sociopath like Reed, or a walking cliché like Logan; he's a genuine human being who ****ed up, recognised that he ****ed up, and has dedicated his life to making amends. Hell, he saved the world and the whole of reality multiple times while the "real" Avengers were off complaining about Norman Osborn. He's the Scientist Supreme for a reason.  Reed's never written well. Ultimate Reed was, but then Bendis has to go and **** that up too. "
    I haven't read Slott's run on Mighty Avengers. I've been sick of Avengers for the past few years so I've not read any of the team books consistently. I also am not a fan of Slott's writing, at least the bit of it I read on Spider-Man. But If you say he's done good character work on Hank I'm willing to look into it. I've been proven wrong about characters before, so maybe I'll be this go around too. I think hank has a lot of potential to mine, but I feel like writers never got around to doing it. 
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @JonesDeini: Ah, that explains it. The Avengers books have been crap for a while now, but Slott's Mighty Avengers is a GIGANTIC EXCEPTION. It's brilliant, the whole book is a character study on Hank, and it's marvelous. I'd rank it amongst Marvel's greatest character-focused runs ever. It's like Born Again for Hank Pym.
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By JonesDeini
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @JonesDeini: Ah, that explains it. The Avengers books have been crap for a while now, but Slott's Mighty Avengers is a GIGANTIC EXCEPTION. It's brilliant, the whole book is a character study on Hank, and it's marvelous. I'd rank it amongst Marvel's greatest character-focused runs ever. It's like Born Again for Hank Pym. "
    This sounds most intriguing. Thanks for the recommend. 
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ReVamp

@ImperiousRix said:

"I can see why people are defending Hank.  No matter what he does, he'll always be remembered for two things; slapping Janet and creating Ultron.  This makes him a somewhat relatable character because, like many people, he's made huge mistakes that he tries desperately to atone for, but knows that he can never quite erase them.  I commend the character for that, and when he's written correctly, he's very compelling and one of my favorite Marvel characters.  But the list is worst comic book HUSBANDS, and let's face it, he's never been consistently good to Janet.  Even putting aside the abuse, he's kind of a terrible husband. "

True. I think that I didn't make it clear enough that I kind of agree with this in my previous comment.
    wokattack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By wokattack

speculative worst wife in comics: A PMS'ing She-Hulk

Avatar image for batflasharrow96
    batflasharrow96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By batflasharrow96

Hank Pym beat his wife and Lex Luthor killed his wife.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
    deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

@Dracade102 said:
    "Hank Pym was the first guy who came to mind when I saw this thread. "
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By joshmightbe
    @batflasharrow96: he hit her one F^^king time 40 years ago and spent the rest of his existence apologizing for it 
    batflasharrow96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By batflasharrow96
    @joshmightbe: Calm down you sound like you're him!
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By joshmightbe
    @batflasharrow96: its just tiring hearing everyone bring that up during every conversation about Pym when there are many characters who've done far worse to women who no one ever says a word about
    batflasharrow96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By batflasharrow96
    @joshmightbe: I only said him because he first came to my head and I know that there's been far worse. Did you read my full reply?
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By JonesDeini

Man, we're are frakin' geeks. I mean just to give some perspective to this. NONE OF THIS IS REAL. NONE OF THESE PEOPLE ARE REAL!!!  LMAO. Now let's all take a breather, step back form the keyboards and spend sometime with the women in our lives that I assume and suggest we all not beat...like Hank Pym :P

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#40  Edited By Billy Batson

only marvel heroes

KenTheProfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#41  Edited By KenTheProfile

I don't like Hank Pym but at least he acts like a human and has at least some actual reason to be a bad husband. Reed on the other hand thinks he is some kind of god.  not even getting into the stupid math civil war thing, 
    Reed seems to have Borderline personality disorder. People with this problem can go for truly loving some one and then killing them the next and then back to loving. also sue is an idiot for staying with him. 
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By JonesDeini
    @KenTheProfile said:
    " I don't like Hank Pym but at least he acts like a human and has at least some actual reason to be a bad husband. Reed on the other hand thinks he is some kind of god.  not even getting into the stupid math civil war thing, Reed seems to have Borderline personality disorder. People with this problem can go for truly loving some one and then killing them the next and then back to loving. also sue is an idiot for staying with him.  "
    And bingo was his name-o!
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By joshmightbe

I think Reed is an all round awful person him and Doom are probably the most arrogant bastards in the marvel universe(Tony comes close though) 

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By JonesDeini
    @joshmightbe:  
    Yeah, I think Namor & Professor X are both up there as well. Though Namor's attitude's understandable. Tony's really changed a lot after all he's gone through recently. He has a great convo with Reed about the mistakes he's made recently in Invincible Iron Man. He's trying to rectify things, and I applaud that. Reed really is a dick though, no explaining that guy. 
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By joshmightbe
    @JonesDeini: I believe when Reed and Doom die for good their hell is gonna be the 2 of them in a room having nothing to do but argue over whose better than who till the end of time
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By JonesDeini
    @joshmightbe said:
    " @JonesDeini: I believe when Reed and Doom die for good their hell is gonna be the 2 of them in a room having nothing to do but argue over whose better than who till the end of time "
    Ha! But they'd get off on that. They deserve the worse fate. To be stuck in a state of the art lab for all eternity but never being able to interact with any of it...that would drive them mad. 
    Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#47  Edited By Hazlenaut

He uses a giant gun on his son who being held by his wife. That clinches they need therapy along with psychologist that is taking their seminar.

Spiderman dated Sue but found she kept talking about Reed.      

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By joshmightbe
    @Hazlenaut: Sue Richards has been a bit brainwashed by Reed at least thats the only explanation I can think of for why she hasn't dropped his condescending ass  
    thewidowsbite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By thewidowsbite
    @joshmightbe:
    They're actually dwelling on Pym's ultimate version without realizing it.
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By JonesDeini
    @thewidowsbite said:
    " @joshmightbe: They're actually dwelling on Pym's ultimate version without realizing it. "
    Cracked or readers?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.