Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

2015 a more promising year for Spidey?

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

Edited By The_Waffle

As Dr. Doom said in that first terrible Fantastic Four movie: "Two down, two to go."

What that means is not only is that awful Ultimate Spider-Man animated series getting the axe, but the equally mediocre Webb movies are most likely facing a reboot of some form. (A reboot to a reboot, what has this world come to? lol)

Anyway, 2014 was just another year to be disappointed as a Spider-Man fan, I shouldn't have to provide examples but I will: Amazing Spider-Man 2, (both the movie and tie in video game) Whatever your opinion on both is you can't deny they both under-performed critically and financially. Ultimate Spider-Man the animated series = Garbage (How that show has a 7.1 on IMDB is beyond me, because that is actually a solid score). Yeah it was good to see Peter return in the Amazing Spider-Man comics, but again, bad.

If you like any of those things above, that's fine. I don't like to judge other peoples opinions (even if they are just plain wrong lol). I will say this though; I have never seen a fan base this broken and divided, because many fans are easily satisfied with the mediocre content being produced all around and because we aren't asking for any improvements, the utter crap we received this year and for the last seven years will be exactly the same if things don't change. (Yeah I know there are some exceptions e.g: Spectacular Spider-Man tv series and Ultimate Spider-Man (comic) etc.) Now, If the general consensus of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is it's mediocre than I'm pretty sure that makes it mediocre, the same goes for the games, tv series and comics.

(I get that it's going to be hard to trust the words of a user whose last blog was titled: "In defense of SINS PAST". But if you're still reading try and hear me out lol.)

Usually it's three strikes and you're out, well I counted four in my book, Spider-Man has failed in all four mediums this year; movies, comics, tv and video games, once again leaving myself unsurprised.

But just recently we've now heard talks of a Spider-Man animated series being developed by Christopher Miller plus Phil Lord and Marvel possibly obtaining the creative rights to the Spider-Man in film. (I really don't know the whole story about the Sony email hack debacle so I apolagise If my facts above are inaccurate.) Now that the movie and tv side of Spider-Man have a chance of seeing improvement, this leaves me wondering the fate of Spider-Mans video games and mainstream comic series, hence the the quote: "Two down, two to go."

Clearly all four mediums need to see immediate improvement to uplift the standards that have severely degraded over the last decade. If you had the patience to read through all that, maybe you might agree with me, maybe not.

But what do you think? Will Spidey fair better in 2015 than 2014?

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Zarius

I would like to think so, but you can never really tell. The main book (ASM) is in a far worse place in terms of substance and precision characterization than it ever truly has been, yet all it's writer and his easily-pleased acolytes ramble on about is how good the sales are, which doesn't mean anything to anyone who has experienced meteoric rises of other forms of mediocrity in music and movies and comics.

Not even the USM comics with Miles have wowed me much this year, mainly because Bendis chose to be ambigious about the nature of Ultimate Peter's revival. And the only twist about Spider-Verse I have enjoyed so far is the identity of the Scion, even if it was pretty much Checkvo's Gun in terms of a revelation and far too easily predictable.

I don't think Spider-Gwen will sustain a title across all of 2015, but it probably will outlast Silk's ongoing, which seems destined to collapse given how badly handled and received she has been

It says a lot when a three-to-six panel newspaper supplement is pretty much the best version of Peter Parker put to paper currently (in my opinion), and I really wouldn't normally be caught dead saying that in the mid-2000s when JMS and others were killing it on the books, but it's all I've got that reminds me of the glory days, and, hey, it's the only thing doing anything of importance with Mary Jane, so that's even more of a plus

Really, it all depends on what Marvel have scheduled during or after Secret Wars. Be it a reboot, or the restoration of the old status quoe, whatever the case, I just want a more adult-oriented Spider-Man cast to enjoy instead of the patronizing immature man-baby interpretations we have been getting since 2008...but the sales are high, so even if that happened, don't expect the style to change. Some people are just that set in their ways.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By darthfury78

What I want to see is the return of Avenging Spider-Man or Spectacular Spider-Man where a writer could finally integrate Jessica Drew, Jennifer Walters(human persona), Felicia Hardy(Crime Boss or not), and Natasha Romanov into Peter's social circles. And I meant by saying that each one knows that Peter's dual persona as Spider-Man.

What would also be fun is for Betty Brant to have her memories of Peter Parker as Spider-Man restored to her as well as I want to see her as part of Peter's social circles once again.

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Aren't you a bundle of sunshine and rainbows...sheesh

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By The_Waffle

@anjales: ha I'm just saying how it is lol.

Master_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

2015 is the year of the spider.... marvel will finally have the rights back from Sony and have logan lerman as spiderman.

Avatar image for BappyRonChantin
    BappyRonChantin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Might be, might be not. Another reboot has equal chance of bringing back Spidey's former popularity or losing his ground farther more. For me, only positive news so far is Marvel might get the rights back or have a chance of sharing the rights with sony. Oh and this too if it happens

marvel will have logan lerman as spiderman.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anjales said:

Aren't you a bundle of sunshine and rainbows...sheesh

He's right though. I know the easily-pleased acolytes of the current product want nothing more than a patronizingly positive echo-chamber, but a little criticism does not hurt.

kaine_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius: a little criticism, all I heard was b*#ch b*#ch wah wah. Please there was nothing wrong with the last movie. Andrew Garfield perfomes wonderfully. Dan Slott is killing comics right now, why is Spider-Man the best selling comic everytime I check. If marvel gets Spider-Man and they take out the drama it will be just another superman movie. Because if you know anything about anything of Spider-Man you kniw its a Freakin Drama. Flag me

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_Waffle

@kaine_17: I'm sorry that you disagree, but all you've said has just proven my point for me:

"Please there was nothing wrong with the last movie."

You're kidding me with that one, right?

"Andrew Garfield perfomes wonderfully."

Uh… Okay… I don’t see what that has to do with anything.

"Dan Slott is killing comics right now"

More like contributing in killing the franchise lmao.

"Why is Spider-Man the best selling comic everytime I check."

Why is it fans always bring up sales in defense of poorly written comics? Sales are not necessarily indications of quality, the last two Transformers films made over a billion at the box office but that doesn't make them good films. Amazing Spider-Man sells because it's Spider-Man, simple.

The rest of the comment I don't even know what you're going on about to be honest...

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I hope so. He sure deserves it after the events of Superior Spider-Man.

averywetfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As you said, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 was bad, probably terrible. I thought that the death of Gwen Stacy was actually done well. The acting is good too, but that's about it. I think that ASM2 was a failure because it went in way too many directions because of the higher ups doing decision making that is not theirs to make. Also it wasn't a financial failure, it was just as successful as ASM1 and the CBMs that came out this year. Because they failed with this film people think that sony can't make a decent spidey film. Don't forget though that Amazing Spider-Man 1 was at the very least a decent film and successful. I think that all this franchise needs is one great film to get back on track. Look at fox. They had two good X-Men films, a bad one, then they went back on track again with two good films. Of course they also had F4 and that had two bad films in a row and that ended the franchise. It can go either way and I am sure they can pull it off.

Time for an unpopular opinion. The Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon is not bad. I understand everyone is disappointed with it. They are expecting a show with a serious tone and that is just not what it is. The show is not an all ages show, it's made for kids. That's Disney's cartoon style. Whether you enjoy kids shows or not will determine if you would like it. IMO USM is probably the best childrens show airing only thing better is maybe Phineas and Ferb and Star Wars Rebels.

The ASM2 Game is terrible. No dispute with you on this. Release the game along with a movie and cash in with a low budget and little time to produce a quality game. Sony clearly has no care to produce a quality game. What's sad is that Disney/Marvel did the same thing until they decided to release no games at all(unless you count adding marvel characters to their Infinity game a proper game).

I would state my counter opinion on the comics, but can't. I see little wrong with the series and would have to know the specifics of why you don't like the current ASM for me to understand.

kaine_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_waffle: the thing about sales is people buy because of the previous product. Its anticipated. About Andrew Garfield perforning good, you said the movie under performed, how so?

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@averywetfrog: I thought Gwens death was done well too, Garfield and Stone definitely carried those films, they had great chemistry, probably one of the only things these movies did better than the Raimi movies and yeah great acting but that's all the nice stuff I really have to say. I thought the first one was okay/decent and the second mediocre at best.

I've tried many times to watch Ultimate Spider-Man, but could not get through a single episode, I've heard some people say it's improved, but as a successor to Spectacular Spider-Man it comes off as disappointing like you said.

Yeah ASM2 Game is terrible, Beenox need to be fired lol

The comics for me mainly come down to the writing, bad dialogue, inauthentic character portrayals etc. but to each their own I guess

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_Waffle

@kaine_17: It made the least of money of all the films and wasn't as well received, hence it under-performed "critically and financially". Did you think I was talking about the acting? -_-

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've actually recently gotten into the Ultimate Spider-Man animated series...it's not bad.

Granted, I don't know much about the characters outside of the show, but for the most part, Pete at least seems well-characterized. Though I do feel like they try way to hard to make every episode have some sort of moral. That's cool and all, but it's not something they need EVERY episode.

Plus, it does somewhat remind me of The Spectacular Spider-Man animated series. I do feel like characters outside of Iron Fist and Spider-Man are a bit downplayed though. They probably had a couple more episodes revolving around them, that I haven't seen, but as it stands, I know next to nothing about Nova, Power Man, White Tiger, and most of the New Warriors, and frankly I feel I got lucky to learn more about Iron Fist.

It's a solid show though. I'd give it a 3/5, myself.

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why is it fans always bring up sales in defense of poorly written comics? Sales are not necessarily indications of quality, the last two Transformers films made over a billion at the box office but that doesn't make them good films. Amazing Spider-Man sells because it's Spider-Man, simple.

The rest of the comment I don't even know what you're going on about to be honest...

While on some level, I agree (Star Trek originally bankrupted a studio, and It's a Wonderful Life had dismal showings until the VHS era as two examples)...

It's still a business. Success = Money.

kaine_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_waffle: you were the one that said sales didnt matter. And what do u mean well received or critically? That to me means the movie was bad, which the acting would be a factor for a mediocre movie.

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The_Waffle

@kaine_17:

"You were the one that said sales didnt matter."

When did I ever say that? Now you're just putting words into my mouth.

"And what do u mean well received or critically?"

*Facepalm* The movie failed critically and was not well received as it was the least liked film by fans and critics. I don't know how I can make that any more clearer for you. -_-

"which the acting would be a factor for a mediocre movie."

Why do you keep bringing up the acting? I never did, until I replied to Avery. Acting's a factor for every movie, a mediocre movie can have good acting you know.

darklordx123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I agree with everything you've said, aside from the comics. I was originally against Dan Slott writing Spider-Man, but I'm starting to like the idea of him writing. Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to replace him with someone like JMS, but I think that the way he's portrayed some aspects of Spider-Man are great. One example would be the whole intellectual aspect. We all know that Peter is highly intelligent, but almost all writers fail to acknowledge that. As long as he keeps writing the way he's written Spider-Verse (not the way he handled Superior Spider-Man), I think he'll be fine. I'd also like him to get rid of that god awful personality... what kind of 28 year old talks like that?

kaine_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_waffle: then what specifically did u not like about the movie?

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By The_Waffle

@darklordx123:

I'd also like him to get rid of that god awful personality... what kind of 28 year old talks like that?

Nice that you picked up on that. I think it just comes down to terrible dialogue honestly. Here's how Slott handles a middle aged Peter Parker:

No Caption Provided

Thanks for your opinion also.

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think 2015 will be a more promising year for Spider-man in both the movies and comics.

I hear Sony and Marvel are working out another deal in order to get Spider-Man in the cinematic universe. So yeah Spidey.

As for the comic I think it will get better. I feel Dan Slott missed a big chance to develop Peter's character after Superior, because Slott quickly tied up loose ends. But hopefully with Pete and MJ getting back together in 2015 and having a kid, hopefully we will see a change in his character.

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kaine_17: I don't really want to kick a dead horse to be honest.

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed The ASM2 I thought it was alright, But I admittedly it is far being really stellar or good. I For me personal it was the pacing, the action pieces and just trying to do to much in one film, also instead of Peter and Gwen's romance being a factor in the film. It be came the major factor of film, so I understand peoples criticism of it or dislike. But don't its just god awful, but it was a on the disappointing side.

I really loathed the Ultimate cartoon, the only idea I like about is Spidey teaming up and interacting with heroes. But that even that cool idea is poorly done, this show not only faked out fans when it was announced. It cashish in on otherwise wonderful series name, I can deal with a Spidey series aimed at toddlers and young kids. But did a stellar show like spectacular that was really starting to come together, need to get axe for it? I can go on all day and night about trash this show is, but I end it with this. Drake Bell is terrible, if anyone can please tell me why was he chosen has the voice of Peter. I would be thankful.

As for the games there alright too, no Arkham but good. The only one I haven't it played is The AMS2, but I'm with everyone who believes they can be very much better. I'm with you guys who think another studio/company should produced the Spidey video game, Beenox had there shot.

The books for me range from being alright to very nice, but I do want to see another writer on the book. I think I'm still high from Peter coming back Lol.

So why I don't think 2014 was a terrible year of the Web-Head, I do hope 15 is a much more spetacular year for him. I also think Logan Lerman well be wonderful Peter/Spidey.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.