undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

Last issue the villainous Daemos was trapped in a stasis prison while Miguel O’Hara had made an uneasy alliance with his rival Tyler Stone to use the Alchemax facility to dissect a previous clone body of Daemos and try to find any way to stop the Inheritor’s ravenous rampage. This issue...well things don’t exactly go according to plan. Not only is Daemos more willing than expected to free himself by any means necessary, but even the advanced technology of 2099 may not be enough to handle, or understand, him. Peter David does a good job of establishing not only the stakes, but the world that these characters move through with a great economy of pace. We very quickly understand how this world differs from ours, and not just in terms of technology. I’m hoping when this all shakes out that O’Hara (and, if I’m REALLY hopeful Lady Spider) remains in 2099 instead of returning to the already overcrowded modern New York of 616. We also get a great, semi-comedic interlude of a knock-down, drag-out fight between Daemos and an unexpected 2099 character.

Will Sliney’s linework, likewise, does a good job of snapping from place to place without becoming too difficult to follow. Despite being a fairly contained issue, there are quite a few locations and characters featured, and Sliney not only makes it easy to keep track of, but the characters look great as well. He gives a kind of smooth detail that evokes the feel of the time period, but also gives the characters a great deal of expressiveness. I have always been impressed with Antonio Fabela’s colors in this title and how they give the city a look of perpetual night artificially lit by cyberpunk neon, at once dark but bold and sharp as well.

The Bad

This issue in particular commits a cardinal sin of a tie-in title: pointlessness. It’s not a bad issue, but the entire crux of it doesn’t happen. We learn very little about the Daemos and even less about the Inheritors. And while the characters are well-written, nothing that happens in the book is significant, or substantial, enough to carry it forward without its ties to Spider-Verse, so it neither functions effectively as a standalone nor a tie-in.

The main thrust of the suspense in the issue is, likewise, predicated on a very, very out of character assumption, and that’s the idea that Daemos would, in any way, be afraid of pushing himself to death. In point of fact, O’Hara TELLS him that if he pushes too hard on his prison it will kill him, knowing full well about how the Inheritors operate through infinite clones, all of whom carry the memories of their previous incarnation right up until the moment of their death.

The Verdict

This issue feels like it was a filler issue where one was not called for.Knowing more about the inner-workings of the Inheritors, even if it didn’t manage to find a “silver bullet” solution to the problem, sounded like a great time for some character building (where better to bond than over an autopsy table?) as well as some mythos-building, finally learning SOMEthing concrete about the characters. Where we’re left by issue’s end, doesn’t feel like we’ll get that opportunity, at least not within this event. The art is still great, and I’m still loving the characters, especially that quick appearance by one in particular from this timeline, but regarding this issue isn’t a strong entry either in the series nor the Spider-Verse event itself.

BeholdtheVison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I liked this book at first but I'll be dropping it very soon, as so little happens and we don't even get much character development.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't wait till Spider Verse is over. That's all I have to say about this issue.

I_NEED_A_HORSE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Looks like Morbius on the cover :P

batarangbamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Solitics have already spoiled where Miguel ends up.

eamon542000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Best part of this issue was seeing Punisher 2099 showing up, dam what a treat that was!

Rainja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Spiderman sucks

COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't wait till Spider Verse is over. That's all I have to say about this issue.

I’m hoping when this all shakes out that O’Hara (and, if I’m REALLY hopeful Lady Spider) remains in 2099 instead of returning to the already overcrowded modern New York of 616.

I get that people dont always follow spin-off characters, or alt universes as much as mainstream versions, but I've always liked the 2009/Beyond concept & setting. Instead of having Spidy-2009, I wish Marvel would just do a Marvel2099 book , instead of Batman Beyond, DC do a DCU-Beyond , so the concept isnt tied to just one character & they can eventually move the focus to another character. I even wish Marvel would keep Spider-Verse going as a regular monthly book series, as while most, like Spider-Gwen, probly couldnt support an ongoing series, they are still interesting ideas that I'd like to see used more, then move on, & maybe even come back too.

But Marvel & DC need to realize that very few characters warrant nor can support an ongoing, they need to go with limited solo books, & team books, & NOT just kill off the character & reboot the suit when the solo book gets canceled.

phocracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@cobramorph: Creating a Beyond/2099 series of books would be too expensive for the industry -_- And I doubt they're going to just kill off Miguel at the end of 2099 series. There's no way the comic industry will go that far down the rabbit hole. Well...AXIS was allowed...I loved AXIS aside from it's main plot. That was just bad in whoever thought it was a great idea to keep such a simple plot going for 8 issues. Seriously. I wish the day would come when a Beyond/2099 universe came true but it wont. Either way, finally SpiderVerse is over. Subscribed to Amazing so I loved the fact that I literally got the main Verse but wow, these fillers are just disgusting. I want to see Punisher 2099 but no way I'm going to go though 3 issues of filler for it. One thing I dislike, reading an event and having to pull out those extra single issues from all my series. But hey, it's not so bad not knowing what 2099 and Lady are doing in their universe. They barely spoke in the actual main issues (Amazing) so it's not like I'm intrigued in what they're doing. Here's to hoping 2099 gets a writer who creates an arc that keeps the movement going, and doesn't pull a Bendis (let's just explain this one moment in the most detail, despite repetitive mini-scenarios) or a Remender (write a decent story with tons of characters). Here's to hoping we get a real event, doubt next summer's event(s) will be any big. Lame time-travel story?

John-PH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's wearing a mask over his mask

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.