Spider-Man 2099 #1

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Note: SPIDER-MAN 2099 #1 is on sale Wednesday, July 9.

The Good

It’s hard to believe that Miguel O’Hara is back in a solo SPIDER-MAN 2099 series. It’s also hard to believe that Peter David is back writing the character he first took on in 1992. What did we do to deserve these great things? The 2099 books were hit or miss but what makes this time different is Miguel isn’t in the possible future of the Marvel Universe. He’s in the present after getting stuck in his past in the pages of SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN. This clearly changes what the series will be like.

Marvel is handling this in a great way. Obviously readers familiar with the character will jump at the chance to buy this book but re-introducing the character in the pages of SUPERIOR was a nice way to transition the character into the modern timeline. If that wasn't enough, the very first page features a great recap telling you everything you need to know about the character. This is something Marvel excels at compared to other publishers.

The premise is Miguel is trapped in his past. What it boils down to is he originally was forced to come back to save his grandfather in order to preserve his own life. With time travel there is always the possibility of changing things for the worse so we'll have that element floating around. We also get to see Miguel try to adjust to being in his past without any real support from his timeline except for his holographic assistant, Lyla. We know there's always groups that guard against unauthorized time travel so Miguel will have other problems besides just trying to find a place to live. Peter David does plant some seeds to obstacles Miguel may soon find himself up against.

Will Sliney's art fits the tone of the book and character nicely. The key with these Spidery characters is the actions scenes need to flow just right to capture the agileness and motion of the character. During the main fight scene here, we even get an interesting mix of angles and perspective rather than the usual straight on shots.

The Bad

My biggest question is what will be the direction of this book? With the one individual/organization he has to deal with in this issue, you have to assume it would be an ongoing problem for Miguel. It is an interesting subplot but we'll have to wait and see where it goes from here. There is also another interesting twist at the end with Liz Allen. We've caught little glimpses in the change with this character in SUPERIOR. It's good to see this carrying over but it was something that bothered me a little over there as well. We'll have to wait and see if Miguel has to deal with problems from the future or if he'll start to have run-ins with today's Marvel villains.

The Verdict

Spider-Man 2099 is back in his own series. As pretty much the only survivor of the 2099 line of books, it's great to see the character back in his own title. The fact that Peter David is writing makes it even better. The story picks up from arrival in the present in the pages of SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN but this series is set up so you can easily dive into the issue without having to worry too much about what happened before. Will Sliney's art style is a great fit for the title. It might not be totally clear what the direction of this book and what sort of adventures Miguel O'Hara will have but we see a few new plot threads to keep us hooked. Welcome back, Spider-Man 2099. It's great to see you back on my pull list.

consafo80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I'll probably give it a go but a lot of books out this week.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

with Peter David writing this it's a must buy for me

Krypton-115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Cool to see that Spidey 2099 has a solo series, I'll be sure to follow this series and if it's any good I'll definetely pick up a trade.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#4  Edited By The Impersonator

I think the time-travel idea is little too early. The future Spider Man could just fight bad guys in his timeline for the time being. Not to mention the idea is similar to All New X-Men.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5 the_stegman  Moderator

I was gonna buy this..but honestly, I've added a few Image titles to my pull, now I can't afford it, maybe I'll check out the trade.

Avatar image for romthelegionaire
    Romthelegionaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

@the_impersonator: All-New X-Men is good, but honestly I think Spidey 2099 is going to be better and use the time travel concept better.

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Although I would have preferred a Spider-Man 2099 set in the 2099 universe I'm still super stoked for this series!! Can't wait to pick this up tomorrow.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I hope Sliney will stick around for a long time on this book. His art work fits SpiderMan 2099 perfectly. And, like Hawkeye and David Aja, I want the art work to be consistent.

Avatar image for tylerdurden7272
    TylerDurden7272

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TylerDurden7272
    No Caption Provided

This is how freaking excited I am for this book! Sadly I gotta wait a damn month :( it's all good though, can't freaking wait

johnny_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

No thanks.

ScrappyDont27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Probably going to pick this up just for the nostalgic factor, I clearly remember getting issue #1 as a kid on Christmas and being super pumped

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pre-ordered this the moment I could months ago. I followed the original series and it was one of the first titles I had on a pull list at my LCS.

Avatar image for dagreatnameless
    DaGreatNameless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think its alot different then all new x-men cause they x-men are still fighting the same general people for the most part or at least know the people 2099 on the other hand only know these by their history and what they ended up being and not what they used to be but what they will be and not in person.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

still better than Slott.

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

Tony didn't give issue 1 five stars?! Ouch... now I'm worried >.<

KingStandup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely going pick this up today! It looks incredible. Really looking forward to this.

iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hate hate hate marvelnow! but love love love Spidey 2099. Since it's Pete Dave writing, my love wins out and I'll be getting this. But I'll miss Vulture 2099.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Just finished it. I would give it 5 Stars. The art is great and the dialogue is fun in its own way while keeping a good serious note.

Especially 2099 trying to explain who he is to Liz Allen and how he really is spider-man

My only issue is that they possibly killed off a villain who had a pretty intersting take on things than usual

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just finished it. I would give it 5 Stars. The art is great and the dialogue is fun in its own way while keeping a good serious note.

Especially 2099 trying to explain who he is to Liz Allen and how he really is spider-man

My only issue is that they possibly killed off a villain who had a pretty intersting take on things than usual

I agree....though I didn't really have any doubts that I was going to love this book....I mean it's Peter David writing Spider-man 2099 again!! What's not to love!!

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure there will be more interesting foes to come.

TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thecheesestabber said:

I refuse to believe that

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanrocket said:

@thecheesestabber said:

I refuse to believe that

More faith you should have, closed minded you are.

Webhead_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thecheesestabber: Well if you can trust what the nutjob says, there's a whole team of people like him in the year 2211 dedicated to erasing anomalies in the timeline, so I wouldn't rule out a rematch between Miggy and T.O.T.E.M.

Armaghetto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does Marvel have some kind of policy that states 80% of their books MUST have tine travel? Sooooi very sick of it. YAWN

TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@8008s: I meant that character specifically who was willing to make deals with Miguel, gave condolences to a man, and admitted his work place was pretty odd

Jawshco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tony, I agree that it may be early to give this five Stars, but this was a very enjoyable issue. I loved the way they established that this isn't Peter or Kaine or even Miles. This is Miguel who may a Spider-man, but he certainly isn't a clone of the same old character we've seen before.

Jrod64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great start to the series. This issue had more action than Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man has had in 3. I loved the humor.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#30  Edited By Teerack

I really like his land lady. It's like the new trend for other Spider-Men to have a pink haired love interest that works in their building now lol. (Scarlet Spider reference)

Liz dresses really nice. I think I'm going to really enjoy this book.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I have the uncontrollable need to have Kain meet Miggy now

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#32  Edited By The Impersonator

@romthelegionaire said:

@the_impersonator: All-New X-Men is good, but honestly I think Spidey 2099 is going to be better and use the time travel concept better.

Hmmm...You got a good point. I've seen the Star Trek 2009 film. I had to admit it was the best Star Trek film where no man have seen before.

ComicBookCoby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

I loved this issue, Peter David's dialogue is absolutely amazing.

@thecheesestabber said:

I doubt they killed the villain, With Peter David, you never know. I even recall him making a Joke once on how villains always come back, even when believed they are dead.

besides, Kaine never had a "legit" villain. as long as the characters are written well, it doesn't matter. you just want to hang out with them every month.

that is something COUGHSLOTTCOUGHBLACKCATCOUGH other writers don't understand

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.