C2E2 13: Date for the Return of Spider-Man 2099 Revealed

• 58 results
Posted by G-Man (30656 posts) - - Show Bio

Before the secret about THE SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN's 'identity' was revealed, Dan Slott jokingly lead people to assume Miguel O'Hara, aka Spider-Man 2099, would be the main character featured in the Marvel NOW! Spider-Man title.

Once it was revealed who SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN really was, Slott apologized but back in January, he did confirm that Spider-Man 2099 would indeed be appearing in SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN. We just didn't know when.

Today at the Superior Spider-Man panel at C2E2, it was announced that Spider-Man 2099 would be appearing in SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #17. The issue will be written by Dan Slott with art by Ryan Stegman. The variant cover to the issue (seen above) is by Olivier Coipel.

There is a big threat headed towards Spider-Man and the heroes from two universes are needed to try to stop it. It was also mentioned that this is the Spider-Man story that has been building since the beginning of Big Time back in 2010.

SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #17 is on sale in September.

Staff
#1 Posted by BlueLantern1995 (2448 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool. I love this character. Reminds me that I need to play Spider-Man: Edge of Time again.

#3 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (32846 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully Miguel kills SpOck and takes over as the main character of SSM

#4 Posted by novi_homines (1336 posts) - - Show Bio

AWESOME!!!

#5 Posted by Barkley (271 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by Danial79 (2333 posts) - - Show Bio

I never read the original comics, but I loved this character in Edge of Time, so I'll be looking forward to seeing this.

#7 Posted by Trevel8182 (751 posts) - - Show Bio

It amazes me that, out of the whole 2099 universe that came and faded away into the void of indifference, Miguel O'Hara goes on, being awesome, and showing up long after the rest of his universe stopped being promoted.

And, well, it's because he's a great character that is more than a Spider-man knock-off (similar powers... yet still different and unique) and, let's be honest, his costume has been and will always be flippin' cool.

And, yes... it's been a LOOOOONG time since I could root for a Spider-man I liked in this book. So many bad turns, selfish and misguided character actions, and lost themes that once glued me to every page... I honestly haven't felt like I've read a "true" Spider-man book with a "true" Spider-man since... pre-Civil War days, I don't think. It's been awhile.

I'm hoping Miguel is still the same hero I remember him as, flawed but ultimately a firm believer in the "great power and great responsibility" motto that keeps getting lost in the book. I haven't been truly interested in a Spider-man title since Mephisto did his grand ruination of everything good and sacred, so it's both a testament to Miguel O'Hara that I'm considering picking up the book for him alone... because it certainly wouldn't be for the actual title character.

#8 Edited by wmwadeii (3223 posts) - - Show Bio

I recall the series from the 90s but never read much. Guess I'll have some reading to do.

#9 Posted by nappystr8 (1038 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't been reading this series, but I do love Miguel, and 17 is my lucky number. I might pick up this issue to see how it is. Hope it's 90's Miguel and not the Timestorm version.

#10 Posted by Twentyfive (2843 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: If he kills him, doesn't that mean that Peter will really be gone? I don't think that is what people want to happen.

Anyway, dang. I can't wait. Parker fans must be livid about now.

#11 Posted by Tyrannotaur (288 posts) - - Show Bio

I always loved his design, but I don't know much about him. I liked him in Spider-man Shattered Dimensions alot. I still never played Edge of Time, but its on my list of games to play in the future.

#12 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2616 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous said:

Hopefully Miguel kills SpOck and takes over as the main character of SSM

Nothing would make me happier!!!!!

#13 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. Yeeeeeeees.

#14 Posted by Classique (139 posts) - - Show Bio

IT'S.ABOUT.TIME!

#15 Edited by saoakden (1018 posts) - - Show Bio

Looking forward to that story arc. The costume looks cool, the image shown here looks freakin sweet. I don't know why but when I see Spider-Man 2099, it makes me think of Batman Beyond. I think is because both characters are a future version of that character. When exactly did this story start building up in Big Time?

#16 Edited by saoakden (1018 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by Dr_Evil_Porkchop (22 posts) - - Show Bio

awesome news but I was looking every where for u tony wanted to say hi but couldn't fine u :(

#18 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

@danial79 said:

I never read the original comics, but I loved this character in Edge of Time, so I'll be looking forward to seeing this.

Same here. I love his costume. Its one of those 90's, for lack of a better term, "extreme reboot" costumes that really works.

#19 Posted by sora_thekey (8153 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome news!

#20 Posted by stetson12 (47 posts) - - Show Bio

I really hope Miguel kicks the crap out of Ock and proves himself superior to him. Also, I think that Peter Parker is hands down the most superior out of all the spider-men

#21 Posted by Mucklefluga (2523 posts) - - Show Bio

So glad that Stegmans doing the Miguel. But its too far away!

#22 Posted by CBCD_on_Facebook (8 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-Man 2099 was the very first character chosen as Comic Book Character of the Day nearly 1000 characters ago

#23 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2233 posts) - - Show Bio

As much as I like the current stories, I am counting the days till Peter returns. I had hoped that by the time Miguel showed up Peter would be back.

#24 Edited by Planewalker (325 posts) - - Show Bio

I love this! Miguel is one my favorite character 2099 Spider Man was one of those collection I loved when I was in High School. Hope to get a new ongoing soon

#25 Posted by M3th (2042 posts) - - Show Bio

At WonderCon during the Dan Slott panel, Dan guaranteed us that Spider-Man 2099 would be on Superior Spider-Man. His panel was funny and enlightening.

#26 Posted by maxicere (936 posts) - - Show Bio

YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love Spiderman 2099!!!!!!!!!!

#27 Posted by spiderturtle (66 posts) - - Show Bio

Stegman yayyy

#28 Posted by Strider92 (16130 posts) - - Show Bio

Read all of the original series of Spider-man 2099 and i'm psyched he's coming back!!!!

#29 Edited by AdamWarlox (11 posts) - - Show Bio

Is he still going to be a junkie?

#30 Posted by LordRequiem (1309 posts) - - Show Bio

YES.

#31 Posted by ThePRez (276 posts) - - Show Bio

can they get rid of the spider skull in the chest. I dont like the design

#32 Edited by laflux (14251 posts) - - Show Bio

Read all of the original series of Spider-man 2099 and i'm psyched he's coming back!!!!

Oh my Godz I am so hyped for this. Don't let me down slott!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#33 Posted by johnkmccubbin91 (3486 posts) - - Show Bio

Should be good for the series.

#34 Posted by broo1232 (1520 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay first off amazing Olivier Coipel variant simple but effective, second Ryan Stegman!! Best Spidey artist in my opinion and third this looks to put an interesting spin on the book and I can't wait to see it I hope this makes the book more interesting as I'm annoyed with the whole he killed (or nearly killed) someone every issue.

#35 Posted by Scarlet_Spider_Forever (104 posts) - - Show Bio
#36 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32846 posts) - - Show Bio

@theprez said:

Hell no, that's there for a reason

#37 Posted by Master_Thief (720 posts) - - Show Bio

YES!!!! but hopefully peter will be back just in time for this

#38 Posted by nightwingnerd (322 posts) - - Show Bio

I so need to get this issue!

#39 Posted by SavageDragon (2248 posts) - - Show Bio

This character has only lasted this long because of his costume. Not a bad thing tho.

#40 Posted by stetson12 (47 posts) - - Show Bio

Now I'm gonna have to read through Big Time again!

#41 Posted by FoxCircuit101 (56 posts) - - Show Bio

Ya can't believe everything, long ago Dan Slott said Miguel O'Hara was Superior Spidey which of course was a lie. For all we know, something terrible may happen to Miguel trapping him in the present. Or the Present Past.

#42 Edited by SpitfireINK (242 posts) - - Show Bio

Fantastic!

Great Character that is overdue for a well-written Return!

Certainly one of the Best "B" listers that could be an "A" lister with the right revamp team!

#43 Posted by AWeekInGeekdom (228 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder what exactly has been building up since Big Time? Horizon Labs? Hobgoblin or is it something more deeper than that? Still, Miguel looks badass! Can't wait to pick up that issue! (though i'll have to wait and see the original cover for it).

#44 Posted by SmashBrawler (5501 posts) - - Show Bio

Badass. Looking forward to this.

#45 Posted by Ninjablade09 (3105 posts) - - Show Bio

Cant wait.

#46 Posted by csantilli27 (181 posts) - - Show Bio

Buying this issue as soon as it comes out

#47 Posted by KryptonSabbath (73 posts) - - Show Bio

@theprez said:

Hell no, that's there for a reason

What's the reason?

#49 Posted by w0nd (2921 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it the adult version of Miguel or the rebooted teenage version in timestorm.....

@kryptonsabbath: His spider was originally a day of the dead Halloween costume, that skull is actually a spider as well anyway

#50 Posted by JamDamage (1110 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.