Follow

Spider-Girl (Corazón)

Character » Spider-Girl (Corazón) appears in 340 issues.

Anya Sofía Corazón is a 17 year old super-heroine who originally went by the name Araña and had a symbiotic exoskeleton which emanated from her spider-shaped tattoo. She then lost those powers and instead gained new powers similar to that of Spider-Man. Anya currently goes by the name of Spider-Girl.

Review: Spider-Girl #1

Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman
    No Caption Provided
    Arana finds some helpful mentors in the Fantastic Four (even as she tries hard to keep her resumed superheroic double-life from them.)

The Good

The character work in this is so strong that I actually felt like I was tagging along with some real people in a fully-realized world. It's kind of weird that this functions so well almost as a "slice of life" story in a superhero universe but, nevertheless, it was those portions that I enjoyed the most. Also, Henry's art has such great personality, I immediately thought of Kevin Maguire's work.

The Bad

The talking heads portions in the middle seemed like they ran just a touch too long and could've benefited from being a little more concise. Also, I know that part of the point of this book is to give a different angle (possibly more appealing to girls?) on web-slinging, but it still seems like some serious overkill for a superheroine to be stopping cat snatchers.

The Verdict - 3.5/5

I'll fess up to being a little resistant to this book on account of the attachment I have to Mayday Parker Spider-Girl we've know for the past ten years or so.  However, once I gave it a fair shake, I found I couldn't help but almost immediately start sympathizing and even rooting for Arana. May she do the moniker justice.
    Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Eyz

I already miss May Day's series and Ãrana's original name... :/

Anyway, looks like a decent enough read!

Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Theodore

lol synapse-shattering

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#3  Edited By gmanfromheck

I too was resistant because of Mayday but I actually enjoyed this. I've liked Arana before. I'm just not crazy about her name change. This could end up being a fun series.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By sora_thekey
    @G-Man said:
    "I've liked Arana before. I'm just not crazy about her name change."
    That is my one and only problem with this! 
    I haven't read this book but I was interested from the start... I can't wait to read it!
    THALASTDRAGON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By THALASTDRAGON

i wanted to check this out too.  it just seems like it could be a good fun read.
    Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Thunderscream

I'm confused. Her bio says she's powerless....does her new costume give her powers?

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PrinceIMC

I hope Nomad shows up in this book occasionally now that Young Allies is canceled.

VII アメリカの英雄

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no expectations for this book because she lost her powers....

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

@Eyz: same here I just wish they never changed her name because that is Mayday's name. 
    Pizawle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By Pizawle

I have no attachment to Mayday Parker as a new reader so I very much am looking forward to enjoying this series.

Planewalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Planewalker

I just read the issue I liked but I'm not to keen about the whole powerless Anya so going to give it a try, if they give her powers cool if not I'm dropping the book

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By InnerVenom123

I thought the twittering was actually pretty cool.  

I was also wondering how she could do what she does with no powers, but the book gladly answered. I thought I wasn't going to buy this, but I read the preview on Amazing and just had to, Red Hulk or not (That was the reason I was going to avoid this book).

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

I wish I could buy this, the art is great.  Maybe I'll get it later on. Clayton Henry's art is really good and solid in this comic.  I love how he draws "Spider-Girl."
    Although I still don't see why they couldn't keep May Parker in her own book, and maybe just retitle it something like M2, or have her join Avengers 2 and have the title focus on her.
    (Change the title like when DC's Captain Marvel had to change its name to SHAZAM!)

frogjitsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By frogjitsu
    @sora_thekey said:
    " @G-Man said:
    "I've liked Arana before. I'm just not crazy about her name change."
    That is my one and only problem with this! I haven't read this book but I was interested from the start... I can't wait to read it! "
    Same here.  I'm glad that this character is getting some love again.  I just wish they didn't have to capitalize on Spider-man's success to do it.
    Avatar image for violet_eyed_dragon
    Violet-Eyed Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Eyz said:
    " I already miss May Day's series and Ãrana's original name... :/  Anyway, looks like a decent enough read! "
    why did they have to cancel the other spider-girl series to do this??
    Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Eyz
    @Violet-Eyed Dragon said:
    " @Eyz said:
    " I already miss May Day's series and Ãrana's original name... :/  Anyway, looks like a decent enough read! "
    why did they have to cancel the other spider-girl series to do this?? "
    To "not confuse readers" and I'm actually quoting what I've read in a review (over at IGN I think...)
    Avatar image for violet_eyed_dragon
    Violet-Eyed Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Eyz said:
    " @Violet-Eyed Dragon said:
    " @Eyz said:
    To "not confuse readers" and I'm actually quoting what I've read in a review (over at IGN I think...) "
    that is the stupidest thing ive ever heard.  they are dooming this new series to failure by having it compete with may's, and they are cheating us out of may's series for really dumb reasons.  its poor marketing choices like this that cause them to give characters "gritty reboots."  in the next ten years, i bet they will have arana be some sociopathic serial killer or hyper-sexualized feminut or something because they cant market her original look well.    
    novakidx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By novakidx

I dunno,I liked this [pretty close to loving it actually]
    the only thing that confused me now [new reader] is who else is in the spider-family now?

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Eyz
    @Violet-Eyed Dragon said:
    " @Eyz said:
    " @Violet-Eyed Dragon said:
    " @Eyz said:
    To "not confuse readers" and I'm actually quoting what I've read in a review (over at IGN I think...) "
    that is the stupidest thing ive ever heard.  they are dooming this new series to failure by having it compete with may's, and they are cheating us out of may's series for really dumb reasons.  its poor marketing choices like this that cause them to give characters "gritty reboots."  in the next ten years, i bet they will have arana be some sociopathic serial killer or hyper-sexualized feminut or something because they cant market her original look well.     "
    It seems Joe Quesada never actually liked May/Spider-girl, since she simbolizes Peter & MJ's future, which he retconned totally.
    I'm sure if he could, he would destroy every single old issue featuring those two living together. (or go back in time stop the publication of the wedding storyline) :P
    BaBaBoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BaBaBoom

i got the first issue and i wanna know where i could buy the second and third issues, do anyone know a good online comic store that sells in New Jersey?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.