Follow

Speedball

Character » Speedball appears in 742 issues.

After being given kinetic energy based powers in a laboratory accident, Robbie Baldwin became the hero Speedball. He blamed himself for the Stamford tragedy and briefly remodeled himself as Penance. Returned to the Speedball alias, he continues to atone for his past while trying to restart the New Warriors.

Speedball vs. Penance

Vision2.0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Vision2.0
        So, which do you prefer. Robbie Baldwin as Speedball, or as Penance? Tell us why?
    Konnal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Konnal

Penance mainly for the looks, don't know much about the story of the character thou.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Caligula

i like both equally it's just character evolution for Robbie, and both are good in their own rights.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

I like him as Penance more.

KingLoki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By KingLoki
    @Caligula said:
    " i like both equally it's just character evolution for Robbie, and both are good in their own rights. "
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#6  Edited By xerox_kitty

Speedball.  There's nothing wrong with being a light-hearted comedy character.  If you look deeper into his history, there's plenty of drama & human emotion to stop him from being just a bouncing baffoon... Only bad writers can't see that.
    hdorman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By hdorman1
    @xerox-kitty: I think it could be a front 
    so that he doesnt show his true feelings 
    but i could be wrong
    Nod-Nolan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Nod-Nolan

@xerox-kitty: so true. His transformation to Penance was done in such a flippant way. What was wrong with just having a fun character?  

Paul Jenkins told about how his change about in this CBR article 

That idea was literally created as Joe Quesada and I walked about six blocks in New York from his home to a pub where we were meeting with a few comic creators. Joe asked me if I felt I could do anything with Speedball. Apparently he had been teasing a few fans for a couple of years, saying he was going to kill Speedball. Naturally, I told him, “yes.” Then I asked him who the hell Speedball was.

I pitched the story within about three minutes and he and I hammered it out by the time we got to the pub. Then we got drunk and forgot everything. What you read was the result of our drinking.     

Christos Gage has done a fantastic job on recovering Robbie's character through Thunderbolts and Avengers: Initiative.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#9  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @NodNolan said:
    "Paul Jenkins told about how his change about in this CBR article 

That idea was literally created as Joe Quesada and I walked about six blocks in New York from his home to a pub where we were meeting with a few comic creators. Joe asked me if I felt I could do anything with Speedball. Apparently he had been teasing a few fans for a couple of years, saying he was going to kill Speedball. Naturally, I told him, “yes.” Then I asked him who the hell Speedball was.

I pitched the story within about three minutes and he and I hammered it out by the time we got to the pub. Then we got drunk and forgot everything. What you read was the result of our drinking.     
    Christos Gage has done a fantastic job on recovering Robbie's character through Thunderbolts and Avengers: Initiative. "
    I'd heard that Paul Jenkins doesn't like to read what other creators have done with characters.  Sadly, with Penance that shows.  Although his mini series 'Relentless' did show a little heart, and some of Robbie's natural intelligence. 

As for the Initiative, I've only just got through the first 20 issues.  I need to get my hand on the Disassembled & Penance stories... I'm really looking forward to it.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc7df6492da
    deactivated-5ffc7df6492da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

Penance is what got me into comics, sucks that he is going back to stupid speedball

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#11  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Speedball.

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By Son_of_Magnus
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " Speedball.  There's nothing wrong with being a light-hearted comedy character.  If you look deeper into his history, there's plenty of drama & human emotion to stop him from being just a bouncing baffoon... Only bad writers can't see that. "
    Co-Signed
    The Kraken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The Kraken

Penance

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Hazlenaut

I go with Speedball. He is nimble, joyful, and its funny when he gets hit. I laugh when the Einstein robot said that only his genius can be a match for him.

Cytorrak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Cytorrak

Speedball, definitely.

Penance is an altogether idiotic idea for a character, and frankly you have to be braindead to think otherwise.  It was just sloppy, painfully retarded writing all around.

In the last issue of New Warriors before Civil War, their reality show had been canceled. What's more, Speedball wasn't the leader, Night Thrasher was. So to begin with, it doesn't make a lick of sense they'd still be filming the show in Stamford.

Beyond that, Speedball wasn't anywhere near Nitro when he blew up, Namorita tackled him. It's not even Namorita's fault he did what he did. That Speedball would be arrested for surviving the whole thing, and blamed for it is a level of stupidity I've previously never heard of.

So what's the pay off? An emo character who's power is to wound himself to fire ambiguous blasts of energy from his hands? How does he not bleed to death? It's idiotic. Particularly in that Quesada essentially did it because he felt no character but Spider-Man could be happy, right before he had Aunt May get shot and Peter go back to his black costume for a while, right before making a deal with Mephisto.  Quesada's marriage angst is besides the point though.

Let me encapsulate why I like Speedball. There's a moment in the Infinity Crusade, it wasn't the first time I saw Speedball, but it was the moment I became a fan of him. He's bouncingfrom roof to roof and he runs into Spider-Man. Spider-Man asks him "So what's the deal with all this?" and Speedball replies essentially "You know as much as I do man, they sent me out for donuts." I loved that little exchange.

Plus he was an underrated powerhouse. He was virtually immune to harm, could bounce hundreds of feet through the air, and could fire off his spheres as projectiles, all while his enemies aren't taking him seriously.

Penance is just an unoriginal S&M freak meant to appeal to the emo crowd with vaguely defined, uninteresting powers that trigger in a way that makes not a lick of sense. On top of that, when he's attacked in prison he states he enjoys the pain, and he continues to cut himself of his own volition. How is it "penance" if he's essentially getting off on it?

On top of all that, Squirrel Girl is in love with Speedball, not Penance. Do you really want to make Squirrel Girl Cry?

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By Kairan1979

I vote for Penance.
    Maybe we'll see Penance again after Fear Itself (I've read Homefront #1, and looks like he is going to go through hell again).

Nod-Nolan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Nod-Nolan

Its more likely that Gage will complete Speedballs restoration. Penance was created as a joke over a beer by Quesda and Jenkins. Jenkins had never even heard of Robbie Baldwin before.  Gage has more respect for the characters

Alladin Sane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Alladin Sane

Definitely Speedball, although the only comics I read with Penance were at the end of Civil War when he became Penance. Speedball is just such a ridiculous character that they should never get rid of him.  Marvel should embrace the ridiculousness.

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    Speedball.
    shrmntnk62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By shrmntnk62

Penance

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By fodigg

I dislike both. I thought the blaming of Robbie and the others for Nitro's actions in Stamford was ridiculous to begin with.

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#22  Edited By Kairan1979
    @fodigg said:

I dislike both. I thought the blaming of Robbie and the others for Nitro's actions in Stamford was ridiculous to begin with.

Clearly Robbie and New Warriors were scapegoats used by Stark and Co to push Superhuman Registration Act.
    YoungSpawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By YoungSpawn

Penance he is more Bad@zz

tahmidk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By tahmidk

penance is too deep for squirrel girl

millennium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

penance i hate the speedball persona i found the penance persona to be more interesting

Bystander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Penance of course. It's damn lame he has become Speedball again. Return Penance!!

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Penance if only because it was funny.

ownagepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Penance beats all.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Penance. Way deeper and just more interesting. It's an evolution of the character. It's rude to say someone is an idiot for liking one more than the other. Shows just how ****** the users on this site can be.

ShadowJax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing wrong with having a character be darker from guilt, but when take a concept from of edgy teen's notebook you just end up with something as ridiculous as Speedball himself

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.