Speedball again?

#1 Posted by Glasgow (135 posts) - - Show Bio

I hear that he's Speedball again in Avenger's Academy, can anyone confirm?

#2 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

He is going by the Speedball name again.

#3 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio

Any one find it funny his name is the name of a drug concoction?

#4 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@Glasgow:  Yep... but he's still showing a few psychological scars...
 Avengers Academy #1
#5 Posted by hdorman1 (4662 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty: you would as well if you had been through what he had  
he still looks too young though
#6 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty:  He also seems to use his powers more like Penance than Speedball.
#7 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@hdorman1 said:
" @xerox-kitty: you would as well if you had been through what he had  he still looks too young though "
Yes, he's been through a lot, but has been growing more stable & confident.  No-one ever said it would be an instant transformation, and personally I'm glad Christos Gage didn't make it too easy.  It wouldn't be realistic (as realistic as comics can get). 

@Nobody said:
" @xerox-kitty:  He also seems to use his powers more like Penance than Speedball. "
There were a few classic Speedball bouncing poses (legs akimbo) during the training session :)
#8 Edited by Glasgow (135 posts) - - Show Bio

hurm, I feel like picking this book up now...
and how did he grow all of his hair back so fast?

#9 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
" @Nobody said:
" @xerox-kitty:  He also seems to use his powers more like Penance than Speedball. "
There were a few classic Speedball bouncing poses (legs akimbo) during the training session :) "
Yeah, but I recall him blasting a student like Penance. I don't remember him doing that as Speedball before.
#10 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nobody said:
"Yeah, but I recall him blasting a student like Penance. I don't remember him doing that as Speedball before. "
He seems to have access to both sets of powers combined into one.  Just think of the Penance powers as the next evolutionary step for his kinetic field.  I guess the bouncing is just to make him look & feel more Speedball like, even if he isn't the same free-spirit he used to be.
#11 Posted by Midnightist (10858 posts) - - Show Bio

Does anyone else feel as thought instead of becoming Speedball again he shud have come up with a completely new identity kinda a combination of both 

#12 Posted by Calibong (18 posts) - - Show Bio
@Midnightist: I agree. Its very hard to see his as Speedball again after what he went through as penance.  Maybe this will be a part of the upcoming storyline in Academy. I'd be a bit bummed he if he just got better in the end...
#13 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@Midnightist said:
"Does anyone else feel as thought instead of becoming Speedball again he shud have come up with a completely new identity kinda a combination of both  "

Yes.  While I do have a really big soft spot for Speedball, I think a new name & outfit would have been a better & cleaner break for him.  However, I guess it's about the stubborn nature of trying to restore honour to something...
#14 Posted by reaper2923 (2778 posts) - - Show Bio

I know it sucks that he's back to being a loser

#15 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio
@reaper2923 said:
" I know it sucks that he's back to being a loser "
What makes him a loser?
#16 Posted by reaper2923 (2778 posts) - - Show Bio
@geraldthesloth said:
" @reaper2923 said:
What makes him a loser? "

His costume, powers, pretty much everything should have stayed as Penance
#17 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@reaper2923 said:
" @geraldthesloth said:
" @reaper2923 said:
His costume, powers, pretty much everything should have stayed as Penance "
All I'm seeing is personal opinion.  So far his portrayal in Avengers Academy show a very different personality.  Someone who is still tortured by the past and fighting to redeem the name of Speedball while struggling to come to terms with what he's done over the last couple of years.  That has far more potential than than the walking iron-maiden.
#18 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty: He cut himself in the latest AA didn't he? Or did I dream about comic books again...
#19 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm glad he's back to Speedball 
he needs to move on 
big time
#20 Posted by ImperiousRix (1069 posts) - - Show Bio

Man... am I the only one who really liked Penance?  I really enjoyed him in the Thunderbolts and had hoped Robbie was gonna stick with that moniker. 
I guess it was unrealistic to expect him to stay that way forever.

#21 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@ImperiousRix said:
" Man... am I the only one who really liked Penance?  I really enjoyed him in the Thunderbolts and had hoped Robbie was gonna stick with that moniker. I guess it was unrealistic to expect him to stay that way forever. "
I preferred Penance too.
#22 Posted by mrmisanthrope (103 posts) - - Show Bio
@reaper2923 said:
" @geraldthesloth said:
" @reaper2923 said:
His costume, powers, pretty much everything should have stayed as Penance "
His costume was designed by Steve Ditko, and his powers were invulnerability, super jumping ability and the ability to fire bouncing spheres of kinetic energy as projectiles. I can't see how any of these things suck.

Penance's powers were vaguely defined amounting basically to just "releases blasts of blue energy" and powered in a way that makes no sense. How did he keep from bleeding to death? As to costumes sucking, at least the Speedball costume didn't have nipple faucets. Penance looks like a rejected Cenobite design. Even the guy Robbie had make the costume for him said it was a stupid idea. I'll have to do some searching, but there's a panel right after he gives it to him where he facepalms.
#23 Posted by superboyrocks13 (1089 posts) - - Show Bio
@mrmisanthrope:

pennance was awesome speedball i hated
#24 Posted by Kairan1979 (16729 posts) - - Show Bio
@ImperiousRix:
I liked Penance more too (especially in Penance: Relentless). Speedball was lame.
#25 Posted by PenanceVenom (3 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate that he is again speedball he looks ridiculous

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.