Follow

Speedball

Character » Speedball appears in 742 issues.

After being given kinetic energy based powers in a laboratory accident, Robbie Baldwin became the hero Speedball. He blamed himself for the Stamford tragedy and briefly remodeled himself as Penance. Returned to the Speedball alias, he continues to atone for his past while trying to restart the New Warriors.

How To Undo Penance Completely

Cytorrak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Cytorrak

Speedball is essentially an avatar of the kinetic dimension. His form is the first thing you see when attempting to open a doorway to it. Previously when injured, he was revealed to have been replaced by essentially a clone of himself from the future. When Grobe (the guy in that body) died, they were eventually able to pull the real Speedball out of the Kinetic dimension.

So suppose this time, the sheer amount of energy simply propelled Robbie into the Kinetic dimension, where he's been recovering and growing in strength all this time. The Robbie that would become Penance was merely a shade, a kinetic duplicate created to take Speedball's place while he was recovering.

The original Speedball emerges, amped up, and for the most part generally his old cheerful self (and wanting to reform the New Warriors, of course) and he and Penance brawl over who is the real one. Penance is soundly defeated, and depending on your tastes either inadvertently kills himself, or goes on to become a villain or anti-hero that no one cares about and sinks into obscurity.

No more scars, no more S&M, no more sad Squirrel Girl. Three cheers for comics that fuel escapism, with worlds one would still want to escape to.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Eyz
    @mrmisanthrope: Excellent solution!
    Now we just hope some Marvel editor/writer read this and "steal" you idea.

I'm tired of this horrible Penance-SM gritty hero... even Squirrel Girl made fun of this decision!
    Nod-Nolan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Nod-Nolan

While I hate Penance with a vengeance. If the character hadn't been ^"£$^ed up like that, we wouldn't have had Robbie's awesome resurgence written by Christos Gage.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#4  Edited By SC  Moderator

Nothing wrong with a bit of development, 'he' is 'back' now anyway. All that was needed was a hug. 

Avatar image for superboyrocks13
    superboyrocks13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By superboyrocks13

penance was beater
    Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Green Skin

Why would you want to undo some of the only character development Robbie has had?  Better some dubious development than for the character to remain static forever and ever.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#7  Edited By xerox_kitty

I hated Penance, but I like the way that he hasn't completely reverted to being a light-hearted goofy guy who bounces around without any explanation.  He still retains some of the evolved Penance powers, and is obviously still suffering the mental scars of his experiences.   

The way Robbie is being currently portrayed gives me hope that there really are good writers in Marvel.

Leliel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Leliel
    @xerox-kitty: Why does every hate Penance so much?
    Nod-Nolan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Nod-Nolan
    @Leliel said:
    " @xerox-kitty: Why does every hate Penance so much? "
    Because Penance was created by Paul Jenkins, who admitted he had NEVER heard of Robbie Baldwin before the day He and Joe Quesada decided to create Penance over a beer, simply to wind up Speedball fans.
    Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Video_Martian

I don't hate Robbie, but I hate Penance.

Leliel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Leliel
    @NodNolan:  wow...I was not aware of that. That totally wrong I mean it like never heard of Bruce Wayne so make him get injured and turn into guy name Vigil I see

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.