Follow

Speed Force

Concept » Speed Force appears in 579 issues.

The Speed Force is an extradimensional energy source in the DC Universe that lets speedsters travel at otherwise impossible speeds as well as do other nifty tricks without being hindered by physics. In the Post-Flashpoint continuity, the Speed Force is the very cosmic force that pushes time forward.

Is tapping into the Speed Force a conscious action?

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lightsout

or at least requires experience to do so with less conscious thinking?

The other recent Flash topic got me thinking more about the Speed Force and I was thinking of 2 scenes: Wally getting almost-hit by a sniper bullet in a movie theater, but right when it touches his neck he snaps into super-speed/reaction mode & everything slows down (if anything, he perception was hyper-sped up without proportional acts of movement speed). (I don't recall the issue, I only have seen scans). And, Teen Titans (v3) #2 where Bart is shot in the knee by Deathstroke - specifically when he is hit by the tranq. dart that kept him stationary long enough for Deathstroke to do so. In Wally's case it seems as if the SF was a subconscious reaction to the bullet touching his neck, but with Bart that didn't seem to be the case (feeling the dart before it pierced him then zipping away). I don't want to instantly jump to saying it's just difference in writing by different writers (I like to imagine & explore with it first). Are there other such differences (in moments) between any Flashes that might allow us to conclude that a SF-user needs more experience with it before they are able to tap into it in such a reflexive manner as Wally did?

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By lightsout

One time bump, see if new eyes will notice and have thoughts (or possible scans giving an answer).

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3  Edited By Timandm

I'm not an expert on The Flash... But, I have a thought on the matter...
    Perhaps, The Flash is ALWAYS tapped into the speed force.  He may not be drawing upon it much, he may not even be aware of it, but perhaps it's as if he's a bulb that is always connected to an electrical source through a dimmer switch.  It could constantly be drawing a minute quantity of electricity, or suddenly draw more if needed...

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By lightsout

@Timandm: Would you agree with the theory that it takes experience to effortlessly tap into more of it? (Thus, Bart wasn't able to when the dart touches his neck (but before going into it)).

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By fodigg

@lightsout said:

or at least requires experience to do so with less conscious thinking?

The other recent Flash topic got me thinking more about the Speed Force and I was thinking of 2 scenes: Wally getting almost-hit by a sniper bullet in a movie theater, but right when it touches his neck he snaps into super-speed/reaction mode & everything slows down (if anything, he perception was hyper-sped up without proportional acts of movement speed). (I don't recall the issue, I only have seen scans). And, Teen Titans (v3) #2 where Bart is shot in the knee by Deathstroke - specifically when he is hit by the tranq. dart that kept him stationary long enough for Deathstroke to do so. In Wally's case it seems as if the SF was a subconscious reaction to the bullet touching his neck, but with Bart that didn't seem to be the case (feeling the dart before it pierced him then zipping away). I don't want to instantly jump to saying it's just difference in writing by different writers (I like to imagine & explore with it first). Are there other such differences (in moments) between any Flashes that might allow us to conclude that a SF-user needs more experience with it before they are able to tap into it in such a reflexive manner as Wally did?

I saw the title and immediately went to D&D terms (3.5), classifying it as a move action. Because it's a pun.

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By Timandm
    @lightsout said:

@Timandm: Would you agree with the theory that it takes experience to effortlessly tap into more of it? (Thus, Bart wasn't able to when the dart touches his neck (but before going into it)).

That makes sense.  I can see it as 'being' the Flash means he's tapped into the speed force, but that gives him access to it, it doesn't automatically mean he is an expert at drawing upon it as quickly or as strongly as he needs.  Experience would strengthen his ability to draw upon the speed force....
    But again, I'm just guessing at this.
    the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By the_tree

The Wally moment you're referring to is in The Flash #30. My assumption is that the more you use the Speed Force, the more like a reflex it becomes.

Avatar image for deactivated-6318083af35cc
    deactivated-6318083af35cc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I think since Wally was in greateer danger due to the fact that would have died, just increased his adrenaline more than bart's, and an increase of adrenaline would have increase the amount of speed force used by the speedster. This would expliain why Barry like Bart didn't react in the follwing scan.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By lightsout

@therrieur: Maybe, but in the single frame of time when the object is touching their neck, could they really know the difference? It's not like either is a precog or anything of the sort. Wally knew once he was already in "SF mode" and saw it was a bullet. Reading the scan you posted......I'm going to have to chalk it up to it being old and the writers not caring about such specific aspects that my mind thinks of, lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lightsout: It may not be precognitive but if anyone's subconscious can analyse the speed of an object at the first touch, it must be those guys.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By lightsout

@therrieur: Speed yea, but I think anything shooting into your neck would cause them to "kick into" the SF and avoid it if they were able. I think "it takes experience for it to be reflexive" is the best explanation (aside from the obvious & boring "different writers and/or plot-induced-inconsistency")

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lightsout: I have a new theory, the gun shot created a sound but the bullets travel faster than sound so wallly didn't hear it at the moment the bullet touched his neck, but since it was dark at the movie it's not the touch that put him in the speed force mode it's the light from the gun shot, even though he says it happened when the bullet touched his neck, that is just a theory of his, he could be wrong. And since Bart got hit by a tranq, these guns do not emit light and neither does a baseball bat. And deathstroke must have know that or he would have just shot him in the knee from the back, it would've been simpler.

Binski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Binski

I know barry in the new 52s mind went into the speed force thinking to fast and he acted like he didn't know he could do that if that helps

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.