Follow

Spectre

Character » Spectre appears in 1264 issues.

The Spectre is a supernatural being of near-unlimited might whose mission is to unleash the vengeance of God upon evil men. He is bound to souls of deceased humans, his power and personality varies depending upon the anima he occupies. The Spectre has been bound to many hosts during the modern ages, his most popular and most reoccurring host being that of Jim Corrigan.

Will the Spectre Ever Punish Main Villains?

OmegaDynasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By OmegaDynasty

I was wondering since the Spectre is the Spirit of Divine Vengeance a.k.a. God's vengeance. We have seen him kill Dr.Light, and Black Hand for their crimes; but what about villains such as the Joker or Lex Luthor? Will they ever get their comeuppances from the Spectre?  

No Caption Provided
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By InnerVenom123

No, because f--k logic.

OmegaDynasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By OmegaDynasty
    @InnerVenom123 said:
    " No, because f--k logic. "
    Haha, well it would hurt sales I guess..not really. A Joker goes to hell would be pretty funny. His Insane mind thwarts Hell it's self.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @OmegaDynasty said:
    " @InnerVenom123 said:
    Haha, well it would hurt sales I guess..not really. A Joker goes to hell would be pretty funny. His Insane mind thwarts Hell it's self. "
    Please, Hell would chew his white a-- up and spit him out. :p
    OmegaDynasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By OmegaDynasty
    @InnerVenom123 said:
    " @OmegaDynasty said:
    " @InnerVenom123 said:
    Haha, well it would hurt sales I guess..not really. A Joker goes to hell would be pretty funny. His Insane mind thwarts Hell it's self. "
    Please, Hell would chew his white a-- up and spit him out. :p "
    Yeah I know. lol
    JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Probably simple PIS. It's the same reason Wally West doesn't just clean up Earth's villains.

I will say, however, that I cheered when he killed Dr. Light. He's had it coming for so long.

Does Vandal Savage count? Technically he did punish him.

PS: He didn't kill Black Hand. He just turned his hand to ash.

OmegaDynasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By OmegaDynasty
    @JediXMan said:

"  Probably simple PIS. It's the same reason Wally West doesn't just clean up Earth's villains.

I will say, however, that I cheered when he killed Dr. Light. He's had it coming for so long.

Does Vandal Savage count? Technically he did punish him. PS: He didn't kill Black Hand. He just turned his hand to ash. "

Alright he didn't punish Black Hand, he did kill   Deborah in Infinite Crisis.

No Caption Provided
    JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
    @OmegaDynasty: 

Indeed. And didn't he kill Dr. Fate too?
    OmegaDynasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By OmegaDynasty
    @JediXMan said:
    " @OmegaDynasty:   Indeed. And didn't he kill Dr. Fate too? "
    Well he killed Nabu, and I believe he sucked Dr.Fate into his own helmet and sealed it. Although, they aren't villans that was just the Spectre PMSing at magic. 
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

If Geoff Johns is writing him, odds are he'd try and be stopped by someone like Grodd. Ugh.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By JonesDeini
    @OmegaDynasty said:
    " @InnerVenom123 said:
    What he said, and yeah, bad for business. Lol
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SC  Moderator

Uh, is he wearing a black leotard in the first post? Why do his legs look so nice and womanly too? Why am I typing my thoughts? All technically not answers to your question sorry. He is a tricky character like that, maybe he just plays the patience card. Time is on his side. Have they ever done a Elseworlds where he just goes around judging and killing people? 

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By tensor

where would be the fun in that if he did he only judge ppl who dc wants out thats his purpose i think its bull he cannot take out his arch enemy eclipso

OmegaDynasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By OmegaDynasty
    @SC said:
    " Uh, is he wearing a black leotard in the first post? Why do his legs look so nice and womanly too? Why am I typing my thoughts? All technically not answers to your question sorry. He is a tricky character like that, maybe he just plays the patience card. Time is on his side. Have they ever done a Elseworlds where he just goes around judging and killing people?  "
    Not sure, if not they need too. Just have him coming up with ways of killing villains in Ironic ways. As for his legs..not sure didn't notice that..lol. Still, I say he could have come up with a better punishment for Dr.Light, I understand the whole turning into wax and melting like a candle..just didnt' seem to fit his crimes.
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @OmegaDynasty:  Yes i agree. Its a bit abstract, and seems like a quick short painful demise, rather than anything like it should be. He should pick up some of the tricks of mythology. Have had his liver gnawed on every day, letting it heal each night, for the next day or something. Maybe Spectre does Pillates, thats my guess. He should consider Muay Thai Kickboxing. Thighs need some bulk, his are way to lean. Okay I'll stop talking about the Spirit of Vengeance's legs now, I promise lol
    OmegaDynasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By OmegaDynasty
    @SC said:
    " @OmegaDynasty:  Yes i agree. Its a bit abstract, and seems like a quick short painful demise, rather than anything like it should be. He should pick up some of the tricks of mythology. Have had his liver gnawed on every day, letting it heal each night, for the next day or something. Maybe Spectre does Pillates, thats my guess. He should consider Muay Thai Kickboxing. Thighs need some bulk, his are way to lean. Okay I'll stop talking about the Spirit of Vengeance's legs now, I promise lol "
    I guess you'll talk about his legs when and if the Spectre comes for you. lol Anyways, yeah should have been a punishment around his raping and murdering. 

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    The Jim Corrigan version of the Spectre did go for the Joker in Ostrander's volume. His punishment was quite fitting, I thought.

He made him sane, with a lifetime for him to contemplate the atrocities he committed as the Joker. But obviously someone retconned/disregarded it.
    primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By primebonnick

as someone said bad for business and they are needed to make the heroes well be heroes. I remeber him punishing the joker but cudn't because they joker had no sense of right or wrong and he became lost in his insane mind, PIS no doubt but just shows how the writers make Spectre like a biznitch sometimes. He punished darkseid but he was brought back because the source needs him for something?? oh well

Avatar image for herokiller12344
    Herokiller12344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Herokiller12344

@SC said:

" @OmegaDynasty: Yes i agree. Its a bit abstract, and seems like a quick short painful demise, rather than anything like it should be. He should pick up some of the tricks of mythology. Have had his liver gnawed on every day, letting it heal each night, for the next day or something. Maybe Spectre does Pillates, thats my guess. He should consider Muay Thai Kickboxing. Thighs need some bulk, his are way to lean. Okay I'll stop talking about the Spirit of Vengeance's legs now, I promise lol "

I guess you'll talk about his legs when and if the Spectre comes for you. lol Anyways, yeah should have been a punishment around his raping and murdering.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

The really sad part is that it took 5 years for Light to get any real comeuppance for this.

aquaman01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Jim Corrigan version of the Spectre did go for the Joker in Ostrander's volume. His punishment was quite fitting, I thought.

He made him sane, with a lifetime for him to contemplate the atrocities he committed as the Joker. But obviously someone retconned/disregarded it.

Uh, this is more than 3 years ago so this might not matter, but Spectre actually mentioned in the next panel that the Joker will eventually become snap out of it and try to forget this happened.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

I will say no, unless DC has a story in mind regarding the condemned. Because normally (before the New 52), the Spectre's mission is only part being God's exterminator, the more important part (perhaps) is that the Spectre was to attain an understanding of evil in all it's forms. Because of that dual mission, the Spectre didn't need to go after the likes of the Joker. But when it does it's normally targeted operations thats pulled it out of it's daily routine. Like all the people it killed after the death of the Martian Manhunter were conducted primarily because it was an act of genocide, since J'onn was the last Green Martian... untill Johns invented another one :S

EggMan155

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eclipso he is one of the only villians who can standup to him

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.