Spawn vs. Religon

#1 Posted by Mr. Wilson (6322 posts) - - Show Bio

I would really like to get into Spawn because he seems cool enough, but am not sure if it would be best for my Christian values.  Could someone help?  I'm not sure he is like the Devil and would not want to like a character who worships Satin.

#2 Posted by ThisIsGonnaHurt (30087 posts) - - Show Bio

Spawn is a complicated take on the Christian faith that is pretty enticing. I wouldn't suggest it if you're strictly Christian, due to some questionable themes, but otherwise it's interesting.

#3 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio

He's not evil, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't worship the devil. Though there are some things that may seem blasphemous to a devoted Christian.

#4 Posted by Mr. Wilson (6322 posts) - - Show Bio

Could you go into detail on these themes?

Much thanks.

#5 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio
Mr. Wilson said:
"Could you go into detail on these themes?

Much thanks."

God's not the most powerful dude in the universe. He's not wholly good, either, and Spawn is more powerful than him at a certain point I believe. I'm sure that there are more things, but I'm not a huge fan of Spawn, so I wouldn't know them all.
#6 Posted by ThisIsGonnaHurt (30087 posts) - - Show Bio
Mr. Wilson said:
"Could you go into detail on these themes?

Much thanks."

Well, there are things such as possession, demons, Armageddon, child murder (Kincaid), sadism, and things along those lines.
#7 Posted by Mr. Wilson (6322 posts) - - Show Bio

Does he do any of the following or are they just his bad guys doing this?

#8 Posted by ThisIsGonnaHurt (30087 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a fault of both parties, I'm afraid, not the more gruesome of them, but Spawn doesn't have a tendency to toy with his opponents.

#9 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, it's not like Spawn goes around killing kids and stuff. He just takes care of the antagonists...

#10 Posted by Mr. Wilson (6322 posts) - - Show Bio

So he is just a hero who handles enemies with death most of the time?

 

And he is conflicted like Ghost Rider?

#11 Posted by ThisIsGonnaHurt (30087 posts) - - Show Bio

He kills his foes, yes, and I would consider him conflicted due to the fact he can't be with his wife anymore.

#12 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio
Mr. Wilson said:
"

So he is just a hero who handles enemies with death most of the time?

 

And he is conflicted like Ghost Rider?

"
Yes. Very.
#13 Posted by Mr. Wilson (6322 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay thanks.  Why does he fight the people from Heaven?

#14 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio
Mr. Wilson said:
"Okay thanks.  Why does he fight the people from Heaven?"

He tries to protect humanity from both sides of the war, since Heaven and Hell are more concerned with destroying eachother.
#15 Posted by Mr. Wilson (6322 posts) - - Show Bio

Alright thanks for the help guys.  I'm going to try and get the first TPB with Todd McFarlane at the comicshop.

#16 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio
Mr. Wilson said:
"Alright thanks for the help guys.  I'm going to try and get the first TPB with Todd McFarlane at the comicshop."

Cool. Hope you like it!
#17 Posted by Tremor (362 posts) - - Show Bio

I just found this thread, and I gotz to says somethin'.
Spawn started out amazingly awesome. He's unique story was he had been created as an instrument of evil, yet instead ended up more of a hero. Over the years, different writers, and artists have come aboard, and totally destroyed it.
It's true he has fought angels, one of 'em is known as angela (She's a demon hunter), and the other was the Redeemer, a heavenly version of spawn.

I stopped reading when the new, and crappier writers made spawn into a something like a god. He became all powerful, and shiz, and well that just sorta took the fun away from the hero (A lot like superman). Well the new writers, desperate for a story line decided to focus more on religion, than the hero buisseness. Apparently Satan, and god, are reborn in children, and now theres a third party called greenworld, and the leader of it can change her shape, and apparently was once Jesus, and then shit got boring.

So just a recap

Spawns cool

Spawn doesn't worship the devil

Later on it does have a few things a highly religious christian might find a lil' offensive.

The longer it goes on the crappier the art, and writing is.

well thats about it. Try to get some of the earlier ones, like 1-70. They're really shizzlin', nizzle.

#18 Posted by TheDrifter (26555 posts) - - Show Bio

I have always wondered, What is Spawn? Is he a demon or something?

#19 Posted by TheDrifter (26555 posts) - - Show Bio
Scarem said:
"TheDrifter said:
"

I have always wondered, What is Spawn? Is he a demon or something?

"
He's a marine that was gunned down during a mission. A powerful demon then transformed him into the creature we all know, and love.
"

Yeah I know that but what is the Creature exactly?
#20 Posted by hell-spawn (121 posts) - - Show Bio
TheDrifter said:
"Scarem said:
"TheDrifter said:
"

I have always wondered, What is Spawn? Is he a demon or something?

"
He's a marine that was gunned down during a mission. A powerful demon then transformed him into the creature we all know, and love.
"

Yeah I know that but what is the Creature exactly?"
Spawn was a marine called Al Simmons that was transformed by a greater demon into a hellspawn. the demon was not satan but was powerful. Looking at a side story called :Curse of SPawn: we get to see that God intended on stopping hell from getting Al Simmons but God saw that he would 1 day become the most powerful hellspawn to ever live so God allowed his creation.
caption
caption
caption
















The old man (also known as Cain) has stated that our Spawn is developing faster than any other hellspawn and that our Spawn is evolving years ahead of his expected time. he is some kinda super spawn of sorts.
caption
















in spawns most recent issues he is seen as a demon and not as a simple undead hero with a necro suit. Spawn is now a full fledged demon sporting an all new look.. ?well i think its a new look? o.O

caption

#21 Posted by TheDrifter (26555 posts) - - Show Bio

Huh, Well Thanks Hell-Spawn.

#22 Posted by hell-spawn (121 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Posted by TheDrifter (26555 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Posted by Mr. Wilson (6322 posts) - - Show Bio
Tremor said:
"I just found this thread, and I gotz to says somethin'.
Spawn started out amazingly awesome. He's unique story was he had been created as an instrument of evil, yet instead ended up more of a hero. Over the years, different writers, and artists have come aboard, and totally destroyed it.
It's true he has fought angels, one of 'em is known as angela (She's a demon hunter), and the other was the Redeemer, a heavenly version of spawn.

I stopped reading when the new, and crappier writers made spawn into a something like a god. He became all powerful, and shiz, and well that just sorta took the fun away from the hero (A lot like superman). Well the new writers, desperate for a story line decided to focus more on religion, than the hero buisseness. Apparently Satan, and god, are reborn in children, and now theres a third party called greenworld, and the leader of it can change her shape, and apparently was once Jesus, and then shit got boring.

So just a recap

Spawns cool

Spawn doesn't worship the devil

Later on it does have a few things a highly religious christian might find a lil' offensive.

The longer it goes on the crappier the art, and writing is.

well thats about it. Try to get some of the earlier ones, like 1-70. They're really shizzlin', nizzle."
Thanks, that helped clear up some issues.  I'm looking at the collected volumes of the first part.
#25 Posted by Stormbreaker (161 posts) - - Show Bio

id say spawn is religious hes always on top of a cross

#26 Posted by Mr. Wilson (6322 posts) - - Show Bio
Stormbreaker said:
"id say spawn is religious hes always on top of a cross"

I think they use those as either cool layouts or to represent that Al is dead or the battle he fights for.
#27 Posted by Stormbreaker (161 posts) - - Show Bio

is is a cool layout though 

#28 Posted by Dr. Victor von Doom (3118 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the new take on him


#29 Posted by Stormbreaker (161 posts) - - Show Bio

Dr. Victor von Doom said:

"I love the new take on him


"

i love the old take when todd Mc first started Spawn

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.