Follow

Spawn (Simmons)

Character » Spawn (Simmons) appears in 1430 issues.

A highly trained assassin, murdered by his employer and former friend Chapel. Albert ''Al'' Francis Simmons sold his soul to Malebolgia, one of the many rulers of the Hell, in order to see his wife Wanda Blake again. Malebolgia had other things in mind for Al and sent him back to earth with no memory as a Hellspawn, one of his soldiers, to do his bidding. After realizing what he had lost, Al swore revenge, and became the vigilante known as Spawn.

Spawn Movie Directed by Todd McFarlane?

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here

Penciler, inker, businessman, producer...  and director?
     Penciler, inker, businessman, producer...  and director?

Todd McFarlane’s been talking about getting Spawn back on the screen for a while, now.  There’s that animated movie (which brings voice actor Keith David back) which is all-but-done, but it’s been chained up by legal disputes.  Additionally, he’s been writing a screenplay for a new, live action movie.  

We knew that, but now, after McFarlane spoke to Newsarama at Toy Fair, we know that he has his eyes on directing and producing the movie himself…

“I’ve had the idea in my head for over 10 years… and I want to write, produce and direct it and just go, ‘ here it is’… I’m 80% through the script, I did my due diligence, went around Hollywood... I listened to the pitch from all the big studios, but I just went, ‘nah, I need to make this small and tight and contained’… And if we keep the budget small, they’ll allow me to do all of that. [But] if you blow up the budget...and I understand that. I wouldn’t hire me, either. But then I have to give it away… All the small guys go ‘that thing [1997’s “Spawn”] opened up to $20 million last time!’ We could do a talking head [indie movie] for 8-9 million bucks or we can add an extra million to the budget and make a Spawn movie? Rock and Roll!... At this point in my life, I’d rather keep it smaller and maybe get fewer people to come see it, but actually just sort of extract out of my brain what I’ve been living with for the past 10 years… Another option is me just financing it myself… that way I can just ... I own all of it.”

He didn't wear the cape that much in the movie...
     He didn't wear the cape that much in the movie...

Interesting. It seems every week we’re reporting about comics creators taking their seats in directors' chairs. Mark Millar’s hoping to re-use the business plan he used for KICK-ASS and independently finance adaptations of his projects with him more involved from here on. It makes a lot of sense and I’m all for it myself if it means seeing more genre movies that don’t have to shave off all their rough edges to achieve mainstream acceptance.

I thought the ’97 Spawn movie was pretty faithful to the comics already (and it was the radest movie of that summer in the eyes of lil’ Tommy P.)   It wasn’t an R-rated picture as intense as the Spawn cartoon, but it stuck close to the Hellspawn mythos. And John Leguizamo just stole the show as Clown.

Anyway, with all this mutli-media news, McFarlane fans needn’t worry about the man walking away from comics to focus on movies and his various businesses forever.  In addition to inking HAUNT, he’s still longing to return to penciling…

“I’ve got three kids now, so I’ve been trying to figure out how to do all that [penciling and business managing] and still spend time with my wife and sleep… I believe that once my 15 minutes of fame goes away and my life winds down,I’ll probably return to comic books. Not because I need to make money, not because I want to be famous... just because I enjoy drawing.”

So what do you think, oft-adapted Comic Vine community? Would you sell your soul for another Spawn movie? What would YOU like to see in it?

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia Comics.   Watch out for the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover collection this March - - available for pre-order now on Amazon.com.

simsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By simsey

do it todd love and hate watching the animated series coz it got canceled half way thru a great story and we never saw what could hav been
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc7df6492da
    deactivated-5ffc7df6492da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 2

Sorry Todd but I've been a little worried about comic book people directing movies ever since the spirit.

Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By Om1kron

2 words. FUCK YEAH

4Essence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By 4Essence

I love this dude!
    Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Bruce Vain

GOOD - Why not it's his damn baby. I don't see why it shouldn't be directed by him. I mean the animated series of Spawn were just great. Well except for season 3 that just got a little boring. But the first 2 I loved it.

Hope to see Michael Jai White return. I don't see why he wouldn't since he was perfect for Simmons. Hell bring back John Legizamo however you spell his last name. He's made Clown perverted and funny just the way I  like him.

Mutant X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mutant X

McFarlane's my idol. He's awesome. Whatever Todd wants to do, I'll support it.

[another Spawn movie would be very kick-ass btw]

MemnochZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MemnochZERO

I was the biggest Spawn fan when the live action film came out and I thought it was mostly a farce, but the animated series on HBO? Work of art. I remember in high school I had to show people the animated series (and comics) so they'd realize Spawn wasn't some cheeseball joke character. Similar in tone to the HBO series were comics at the time like Curse of the Spawn, then Sam and Twitch as well the flagship title shed the "edgey superhero" angle SPAWN started off with within a few years and became an action horror comic, which is what i think Todd wanted to begin with. But yeah, 1997 movie... how you can take a cast like that and a concept so foolproof and screw it up.. I'll never know. 
    Hopefully the new film, if it happens, isn't just a mindless popcorn flick like the other one. Also, I hope Todd's got more cinematic sense than Frank Miller.
    RoninKane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RoninKane

Spawn may be his baby, but he gave his baby up to others so he could spend his time making toys and let the comic series suffer because of it. I'm fine with him directing the movie as long as his focus is on the movie and less on the different toy lines he can squeeze out of it. 

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By InnerVenom123

YES! YES! YES!
    Avatar image for marshal_victory
    Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Marshal Victory
    Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jordanstine

Todd McFarlane should sell the movie rights to Marvel Studios.

Or better yet, he should pull a Jim Lee Wildstorm and just sell Spawn entirely to Marvel!

Benzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Benzo

FTW!!!!!!!

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By goldenkey

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Im not eve a Spawn fan.  I like the character but its to devil and monster but for me so the stories just suck, and like the idea Todd has been thinking of with central film characters being cops investigating Spawn and Spawn more or less being a supporting character but Todd should not direct.  Especially a story thats more drama then action the guy knows nothing about direction.  He needs to be an executive director so he just say what he wants.  Watch the shots from the day and tell the director to scrap what he doesn't like and do it again.  If McFarlane directs this there's a good chance this movie can be worse then the orginal. 
    rouju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By rouju
    @reaper2923: 
    So true it hurts dude.
    B A T S

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By B A T S
    @rouju said:
    " @reaper2923:  So true it hurts dude. "
    Yep
    DeathinFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DeathinFire

Something I've said for a long time is this.  We have all these comic movies being made, why not have the writers that write these great stories with the very same characters in print write these movies?  Also, I don't know the answer to this one, but who's doing the concept art for these movies?  If it's anyone but comic artists I'm deeply, deeply upset.  Directing is a huge leap but I can't really say anything until I see his work.
    Aspenite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Aspenite

Great news. McFarlane rocks! This guy just does what he wants do.

Ben2021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ben2021

sounds like it could work, I'm excited

drone.devil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By drone.devil

lol....can't wait to see this one bomb too.

skaarason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By skaarason

is he still going with that stupid leonardo  dicaprio story where his is a cop tracking down a killer and spawn is like the 3rd character and only in the shadows !!! 

KasadyCarnage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By KasadyCarnage

Finially! I hope it's got a better stroy and better character designs this time. When I say the Violator I was like "WTF?! Where's his jaw?"
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By NightFang3
    @4Essence said:
    "I love this dude! "
                  Don't we all.
    Avatar image for reversenegative
    ReverseNegative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By ReverseNegative

Aw, I heard that it's going to suck balls seriously. I have nothing against Spawn, I think the whole concept and idea of Spawn is awesome. But almost every time they try to put Spawn in some form of media, it sucks. The old movie sucked. The games sucked. The only good thing was the animated series.  
    Don't get to excited about this movie. In his latest interview Todd Mcfarlane compared Spawn to Jaws, saying that you will only be able to sense his pressence in the movie, but you will never actually get a clear look at him.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.