Follow

Spawn (Simmons)

Character » Spawn (Simmons) appears in 1430 issues.

A highly trained assassin, murdered by his employer and former friend Chapel. Albert ''Al'' Francis Simmons sold his soul to Malebolgia, one of the many rulers of the Hell, in order to see his wife Wanda Blake again. Malebolgia had other things in mind for Al and sent him back to earth with no memory as a Hellspawn, one of his soldiers, to do his bidding. After realizing what he had lost, Al swore revenge, and became the vigilante known as Spawn.

McFarlane Speaks Out On Animated 'Spawn' Project

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

The creator discusses his plans for his upcoming project!

No Caption Provided
    There has been plenty of talk in the recent months about another television adaptation of Todd McFarlane's 'Spawn' series. A little bit over a month ago, McFarlane had taken to his twitter account to announce that we would see an animated cartoon within the next year. In a recent report from MTV, McFarlane confirms that now that he has settled the legal issues that were related to the character and the series, he will finally be able to work on his latest project.

"We developed another 85-minute, movie-length storyline, but things got complicated near the end and there were some legal issues, so it got frozen because of that," explained McFarlane of the long delay between the animated series' final, award-winning season and now. "Recently, we were able to come to a compromise where everybody is happy. As a result of that, at the end of this year—as long as both parties do what they're supposed to—then all the rights come back to me."

McFarlane went on to explain that a lot of the work on the project has been completed. In fact, much of the animation and voice recording has already been finished. McFarlane stated that the issue is not whether the 85-minute long feature will make it to the big screen, but whether it will be presented as a full length feature or if it will be split up into several individual shorter episodes.

"Arguably, January 2 I can go into Hollywood and start knocking on doors," said McFarlane.

We shall have to wait and see what happens with the upcoming project! Do you think that rebooting the animated 'Spawn' is a good idea? What did you not get from the first animated 'Spawn' series that you would like to see in this one?
    EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By EdwardWindsor

all i have to say "get busy i want to see it!!"

KasadyCarnage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By KasadyCarnage

Violator!!
    Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Bruce Vain

I'll still wait patiently for this.
    Isaiah Bradley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Isaiah Bradley

I hope it is as good as the HBO spawn

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By goldenkey

I got to satanic the last time around.  It wasn't bad and Keith (Never touch another mans fries) David was great as the voice of Spawn.  Just as good as Kevin Conroy as Batman or Mark Hamill as the Joker, but it just got a little to satanic for me.  It translate a little better in comic then animation.  It got a little to old after a while.  The Overtkill episodes were good and Chapel were good,  but then it got stupid.

Avatar image for thedastardlyhippo
    TheDastardlyHippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheDastardlyHippo

Ugh... Spawn needs to go away.  It was the most overhyped series of the 90s that gave us one mediocre movie and only two interesting characters (Sam and Twitch, and I give most of the credit for their awesome dynamic to Brian Michael Bendis).  The animated series was pointless, embodying the worst parts of "adult animation" (cartoon characters boning and a general tendency towards style over substance) and a complete lack of a coherent story line.  McFarlane is clearly a talented artist and the best businessman in all of comics.  I hope he gives us new properties sometime soon.

OzzerOzby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By OzzerOzby

I'm curious to see if this is gonna continue were the series left off, or if they are gonna start over from scratch.
    Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By Om1kron

The spawn animated series actually got ADULTS to watch animation back in 1997-1998 and opened the floodgates for mainstream MANGA styled artwork to make it into comics. McFarlane has opened so many doors. So hopefully people don't assume it's reruns when it does come back, hopefully HBO will pick it back up. 

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Media_Master

Sounds cool!

the marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By the marvel
    @goldenkey:
    my thoughts exactly golden key
    Avatar image for spawn_godslayer
    Spawn Godslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Spawn Godslayer

Hell Yeah!

Avatar image for spawn_godslayer
    Spawn Godslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Spawn Godslayer

The first Animated Spawn was great! There was not a single part I didn't enjoy 
    I am hoping for the same with these

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.