Are You Ready For 'Spawn'?

Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

McFarlane's Spawn: The Animation to hit 'Hollywood's Face' sometime next year...

Over four years ago it was reported that creator Todd McFarlane had plans to bring his very popular Image comics comic book character, Spawn, back to the small screen after years of hiatus and legal disputes. However since that discussion, very little has been reported on the project. A press release back in 2004 reported that production on the project had begun, but that was nearly five years ago and news regarding the project has been relatively quiet.

"Ever since the Spawn animated series left HBO in 1999, I have been asked -- almost daily -- when the show is going to return," said Todd McFarlane, Spawn creator and CEO of the McFarlane Companies. "I’ve been waiting for the right opportunity to not only bring the show back, but also do it with the intent of making it better creatively than its first incarnation. Teaming up with IDT Entertainment’s DPS/Film Roman will allow us to take it to the next level of animation technology."

Since then, limited information has been released regarding the project. Recently, however, McFarlane indicated that a new Spawn animated series would be "back in Hollywood's face in 2010,"

ANIMATION: For those that've asked, the SPAWN ANIMATED show will be back in Hollywood's face in 2010. Legal issues delayed it past few years

Whether this is an indication that the series will be released in 2010, or if production on the series which had evidently been halted due to legal issues will once again resume, remains uncertain. If this is truly the case for the project, however, then this is fantastic news for fans of the character who have been waiting for a new Spawn series for the last ten years.

The first Spawn animated television series first aired on HBO back in 1997 and ran a total of three seasons, and 18 episodes. The series won an Emmy in 1999 for Outstanding Animation Program. Additionally, actor Keith David is set to reprise the voice of Spawn in the upcoming series Spawn: The Animation. It will be interesting to see if after years of hiatus, whether McFarlane's baby will return for sure to the small screen in 2010. I am certainly looking forward to the upcoming series, are you?
#1 Posted by daflip134 (6 posts) - - Show Bio

can't wait

#2 Posted by N15PCA (63 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved the spawn tv show on HBO.  Here a picture of me and Todd McFarlane at Phoenix Comic con this pass Jan.   

#3 Posted by MoonKnightFan123 (271 posts) - - Show Bio

awesome

#4 Posted by Agent Buttons (13479 posts) - - Show Bio

yay

#5 Posted by reaper2923 (2778 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe I should watch the HBO show first before I decide if I'm ready

#6 Edited by inferiorego (20586 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll be honest, totally not excited. I liked the show as a kid, but I'm sick to death of the character. Why does everything have to be so bad @ss? Why not make a character not super tough and powerful?

Staff
#7 Posted by Crimson Thunder (286 posts) - - Show Bio

Spawn is great!!! I hope it's good

#8 Posted by Om1kron (1168 posts) - - Show Bio

jeez the years are definitely catching up to him... I still have my autographed copy of spawn 50. Maybe someday I'll get Greg Capullo to sign it. 

#9 Posted by 1eyejoker (54 posts) - - Show Bio

The HBO show was great. Keith David was the perfect voice actor for Spawn.
#10 Posted by MrDirector786 (43131 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes! I loved the old show. I hope Spawn the Animation can be as good or better.

#11 Posted by King Saturn (222808 posts) - - Show Bio
This Is Awesome News... I cant wait for the new Spawn Animated Series
#12 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14026 posts) - - Show Bio

i want to see it now!!! i love spawn

#13 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio

FINALLY, this answers my question on what was the deal with the new animated series. Now I know why it took so long to finally come out. Thanks for the news Babs.
#14 Posted by Hertelism (7 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferiorego:Well i think mainly because we want to see Fantasy and bad ass tough guys with super powers and everything that comes with it is cool and fun for a lot of people because there not that way. Reading comics and Watching movies is to see something that we don't get to see in Real Life.

I mean if there was a two hour moive about washing dishes I dont think it would do well...........but then again who knows
#15 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3536 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoyed the first two seasons, but became bored with them and eventually stopped watching. Amazing how Spawn was a major power house in the comic industry, but fell by the way side. The same thing happened to a lot of Image titles.

#16 Posted by bx1 (193 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm mostly interested in the animation itself. How fluid it will be, etc.

#17 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18683 posts) - - Show Bio
@1eyejoker said:
" The HBO show was great. Keith David was the perfect voice actor for Spawn. "
There was a show? O_O
#18 Posted by 1eyejoker (54 posts) - - Show Bio

Mark Hamiil is still doing the voice of Twitch, right?
#19 Posted by NightFang (9646 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, this is so cool.

#20 Posted by Luthorcrow (178 posts) - - Show Bio
@1eyejoker said:
" Mark Hamiil is still doing the voice of Twitch, right? "
Hell if it helps pay Mark Hamill's mortgage then what the hell, why not.  Otherwise please don't abuse the world with McFarlane's half baked characters.
#21 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

loved the original animated. ill be glad if this unfolds.
be fun to see what they put in it. id love to
see some Curse Of Spawn in there even once.

#22 Posted by Xion (247 posts) - - Show Bio

Yay! I remember when he announced the project i was so exicted, but then i gave after 4 years of waiting and now we get it next year -sweet!

#23 Posted by Phorqe (2109 posts) - - Show Bio

The HBO show was good, but kinda slow. There were great parts  like "I can't diddle myself no more", but it also just felt like it was taking forever to get the point. An animated movie should be pretty good. Glad Keith David is on, he's the man!

#24 Posted by Tae Kwon MOE (32 posts) - - Show Bio

Spawn diserves a good movie. 
#25 Posted by Satyrquaze (4542 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Posted by Fantasma Ghost (1452 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for the info! It would surely be great to have another series, with the quality of the first. Please keep us informed, thanks!

#27 Posted by conflik1986 (33 posts) - - Show Bio

OH wow I'm so excited I loved da spawn series it should b promising

#28 Posted by gyromne (1 posts) - - Show Bio

woot spawn rocks

#29 Posted by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

I should watch the HBO show first, although the new series sounds exciting as well.

#30 Edited by skaarason (683 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferiorego:  I'll be honest, totally not excited. I liked the show as a kid, but I'm sick to death of the character. Why does everything have to be so bad @ss? Why not make a character not super tough and powerful? 

what ?
#31 Posted by The Abbot (59 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait. Spawn was one of the few characters that lured me into the comic book world. So more power to Todd McFarlane

#32 Posted by Spawn Godslayer (214 posts) - - Show Bio

They need to make a Sam and Twitch movie 

#33 Posted by ReverseNegative (2729 posts) - - Show Bio

When is it actually going to air, becuase it's been delayed, like, 5 years now.

#34 Posted by Ms. Omega (4196 posts) - - Show Bio

Sweet I love spawn

#35 Posted by MrMiracle77 (1659 posts) - - Show Bio

Is this why we suddenly have so many resurrected and new Spawn threads in the forums?  I thought maybe McFarlane had died or something.

#36 Posted by Mutant X (1543 posts) - - Show Bio
@MrMiracle77 said:
" Is this why we suddenly have so many resurrected and new Spawn threads in the forums?  I thought maybe McFarlane had died or something. "
Todd McFarlane? Die?! HA!!! That about as possible as Stan Lee dying.

Hehe no I'm kidding. I'm looking forward to this show if it is still in works.
#37 Posted by King Saturn (222808 posts) - - Show Bio
this better pan out...
#38 Posted by ReverseNegative (2729 posts) - - Show Bio
@King Saturn:
It should. They've been working on it for how long now? 6 years?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.