doomdoomdoom's Spaceman #1 - Chapter One: This I Land review

...I'm a Rocket Man

First Five Pages: Astronaut rock, paper, scissors, middle finger. Bad dreams and cyber sex. Apocalyptic life on Pier 31. A missing child who became famous by vying for adoption on a reality show...welcome to Azzarello and Risso's Spaceman.

Among the riff-raft that inhabits Pier 13, drug dealers, runaways, and Orson(show on the cover). Orson is an ape-like man who's is a little lacking in the intelligence department after being genetically engineered to to travel to Mars. Orson works on a junker, salvaging things from the waters of Pub City. While working one night Orson decides to take a drug that his pusher warned him earlier "came in strong". I don't want to give any more away so I'll stop here.

Overall, this was a solid first issue that does what a #1 should, grab your attention and bring you up to speed. My only complaint is the vibe of the city and it's derelicts come across as more interesting than Orson himself. I would recommend this specifically if your a fan of Azzarello!

Other reviews for Spaceman #1 - Chapter One: This I Land

Hesitation In Space 0

Hmmm.... This was definitely worth $1. I'm only a recent fan of Azzarello, my first exposure was his Flashpoint: Batman miniseries which I LOVED, and I'm loving his run on Wonder Woman, but that's it. The covers for this series are AWESOME, and Eduardo Risso's artwork was excellent on Flashpoint: Batman, and for some reason none of my LCS's received the new American Vampire this week, so I had some extra cash. I'd been meaning to look into this, and now I had the moment when one of the slightly ...

Yo Azzarello, Whut Da Hellz Tiz Goin Down In Dis Ear Comic Book 0

One pet peeve of mine while reading Azzarello’s 100 Bullets was his constant use of slang and purposely spelling words wrong to make his characters seem “street”. Something he does frequently in Spaceman #1, and it annoys the hell out of me.Example of Azzarello “street english” from issue #1:Okee = OkayHittin = HittingTonite = tonightKno = KnowCut=quitA’ight = alrightLyin=lyingBrainin little= not smartYer = yourKillin = killingRealtee = reallyBein = beingYip = yupYer = yourEar = hearLil = little...