Follow

Soranik Natu

Character » Soranik Natu appears in 292 issues.

Dr. Soranik Natu is a highly skilled surgeon from the planet Korugar. She was selected to become a Green Lantern and has had to overcome her peoples' hate of the Green Lanterns; the hate of her father, Thaal Sinestro, created during his time as Korugar's Green Lantern. Because of that, she was initially very reluctant to join the Corps, but has since come to see its value.

All is fair in love and war

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

Edited By RazzaTazz

No Caption Provided

This will likely come off as a rant, but after reading the second last issue of Green Lantern Corps from a few months ago (I am little behind I know) I was kind of surprised at the depiction of love.   The story basically revolves around Kyle and Soranik, a couple since about two years of publication time, trying to sort out their feeling after the War of the Green Lanterns.   They are aided in this by Miri Riam, the Sapphire Corps member that sort of brought them together to begin with.   In order to heal the wounds of the previous events the two are brought together by her in a staged crisis so that they can rekindle their feelings for each other.   In so doing Kyle accidentally blurts out that when he saw his true love (as shown by Miri) it was Jade and not Soranik.   Soranik already sort of blaming Kyle for the destruction of Mogo storms off saying she never wants to see him again.   This for me is very much where this concept of love fell off the tracks.   I am not an expert on love nor I think can anyone be, but for me love is about action more so than words, and Kyle had done much to portray his feelings for Soranik over numerous crises, including in Blackest Night where Soranik restarted Kyle’s heart with her own (which worked on both a figurative and literal level.)   To throw this all away because Kyle was forced into an action he didn’t want to be part of (and to be fair it was actually John Stewart that destroyed Mogo) and because he didn’t originally see Soranik is in my opinion really bad writing and generally poorly conceived.   Love is not really something which is tangible or definable, but a characteristic of it is that it is generally something which evolves.   Ask any married couple and they will tell you that how they define love has changed over the course of their relationship.   Thus while Kyle and Soranik might have had a physical attraction at the beginning, or some sort of mutual respect for each other as Corps members, the defining moments of their love was not in fact those initial moments, but what has transpired since.   In this way this issue really failed me.   I am often not disappointed but the portrayal of female characters in comics, mostly because I usually do not expect much, but in this case this sort of goes beyond that and acted as a quick and easy exit for the characters as opposed to developments in their relationship which made sense.  

doomsilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By doomsilver

Yeah that was awesome how you said that, but I got it better, how the writer broke them up was wrong.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By ReVamp

It sucks how many of these blogs go uncommented.

Darksider555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Darksider555

@ReVamp: agreed,this deserves a spotlight!

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#4  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @Darksider555: Thanks
    Darksider555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Darksider555

@RazzaTazz: hey RazzaTazz could you please check my : Why kyle rayner is my personal hero article ?

http://www.comicvine.com/kyle-rayner/29-40431/why-kyle-rayner-is-my-personal-hero/92-757687/?page=last#reply_form

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.