Follow

Snapshot #1

Snapshot » Snapshot #1 released by Image on February 2013.

Snapshot #1

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

Every once in a while a new series comes along and I've managed to avoid hearing what it's about. With SNAPSHOT, all I knew was it was written by Andy Diggle and Jock was doing the art. If you think about it, that's pretty much all you need to know to pick up this book. In a day where things get spoiled immediately all the time plus the advanced solicits that go out to get people to order the books, it's not often you can remain in the dark until the moment you open the comic.

SNAPSHOT is a great surprise. This is a story that could happen in the "real world." It begins with a young adult finding a phone at the park on his way to his job at a comic shop in San Francisco. Let's pause for a moment. Think about what's on your phone right now. What do your contacts, emails, texts and, especially, your photos say about you? For many, a cell phone is a major part of life. Finding this phone changes everything for the main character.

Andy Diggle crafts a tale of suspense and action. Of course you can expect twists and surprises. Finding a cell phone and getting dragged into a strange situation may seem like a simple premise but it's all in the delivery of each scene.

I knew so little, I didn't even know it was in black-and-white. There is something cool about getting to see Jock's art untouched by color. There is a raw and realistic vibe from the art that often gets lost in even the best colored books.

The Bad

There were a couple moments the panel progression became a little hard to follow. One moment in particular left me staring at the page.

The fact that the main character works in a comic shop was a little cliche. Almost as if it was a way to try to get us to relate more. A police detective also came across as a little cliche as well.

This mini-series is off to a good start and there's a great twist at the end. We can assume the next issue will continue the momentum of the story but because this is just one-fourth of the complete story, you can't be too sure.

The Verdict

In the enjoyment of comics, it's important to try something new every now and then. As readers, we can get too comfortable only reading the same books month after month. It's books like SNAPSOT that serve to shake up the comic industry. You can easily go into this series without knowing what it's about. Andy Diggle and Jock have proven themselves time and time again so you know what they are both capable of. The two combined deliver a story full of mystery, action and suspense with a hint of believability that this story could happen in real life. Or at least it could be made into a movie. Do yourself a favor and treat yourself to something new and different. Diggle and Jock are onto something here. Put down your other familiar comics and take a leap into the unknown with a new idea.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.