How does Snake-Eyes communicate/articulate?

#1 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't read too many G.I. Joe comics, to be honest. But, I do know that he can't speak. I just wanna know how he communicates with other people. Does he use sign language? Or, does everyone he knows just know what he's thinking or wants to say?

#2 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, anybody?

#3 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

Interpretive dance.

#4 Posted by Oluf_Von_Host_Museum (84677 posts) - - Show Bio

He signs. He's actually talked a few times as well. But mostly they show him around people who just seem to know what he's trying to say.

#5 Posted by The Man of Yesteryear (5502 posts) - - Show Bio

Via coordinated cognitive systems.

#6 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio
Gambler said:
"He signs. He's actually talked a few times as well. But mostly they show him around people who just seem to know what he's trying to say."
Really? Cause I made an RP account for him on Myspace. I just wanna get an idea on how he communicates with others. Tryna download G.I. Joe comics from a torrent (whole collection), but that will take days.

The Man of Yesteryear said:
"Via coordinated cognitive systems."
Korg said:
"Interpretive dance."
LOL.

#7 Posted by Oluf_Von_Host_Museum (84677 posts) - - Show Bio
Static Shock said:
"Gambler said:
"He signs. He's actually talked a few times as well. But mostly they show him around people who just seem to know what he's trying to say."
Really? Cause I made an RP account for him on Myspace. I just wanna get an idea on how he communicates with others. Tryna download G.I. Joe comics from a torrent (whole collection), but that will take days."
He does alot of speaking through head tilts and body language. But yeah, alot of people seem to know what he's saying without him actually signing.

#8 Posted by Wildstar (1012 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn, Snake-eyes is a pimp. lol

#9 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio
Gambler said:
"He does alot of speaking through head tilts and body language. But yeah, alot of people seem to know what he's saying without him actually signing.

"
*Realizes how difficult it's going to be to RP as a character than doesn't speak.*
#10 Posted by Lunacyde (18632 posts) - - Show Bio

I concur.....everyone is so tightknit that it just seems like they always know what he's trying to say.

#11 Posted by knife (59 posts) - - Show Bio

In the very first issue, you see Snake Eyes use sign language with several different members of the G I Joe team.

#12 Posted by Snake Eyes (101 posts) - - Show Bio

#13 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27112 posts) - - Show Bio

Scarlett is connected to him through their love, she can read her mans body XD

#14 Posted by knife (59 posts) - - Show Bio

Scarlett may be able to read SOME body language BUT NOT complex thoughts are in the body language.

#15 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27112 posts) - - Show Bio

perhaps he does not have deep complex thoughts

#16 Edited by RazielWraith (583 posts) - - Show Bio

… I'll never understand why being called a pimp is a compliment
Anyway 
After the crash, he only spoke once. But for years Snake Eyes has worked with Scarlett, she pretty much knows what he’s trying to say. There’s of course simple and common body moment and body language, sign language, military and ninja hand signals. They’ve been able to read him perfectly, but right now I can’t think of a time when he’s had trouble communicating with them in the main comic book.

#17 Posted by MrMiracle77 (1659 posts) - - Show Bio

On the basis of storytelling, Stalker, Storm Shadow, and Scarlett each act as one of Snake-Eyes inner-voices.  Stalker is the voice of duty, Storm Shadow is the voice of fraternity or brotherhood, and Scarlett is the voice of infatuation and love.

Physically, Snake-Eyes can communicate with most others by a short-hand sign language.  A number of other Joes are familiar with this technique, particularly those that were members of the original toy cast (Stalker, Scarlett, Rock'n Roll, Grunt, etc), and a few others with a similar Commando background.  Snake-Eyes also carries a datalink communicator on his left wrist that can broadcast common-use signals such as "yes", "no", "caution", and so forth on the Joe's secure radio channels.

#18 Edited by RazielWraith (583 posts) - - Show Bio

The datalink communicator, did that happen when G.I. Joe was under Image and Devil’s Due or now under IDW?

#19 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe in the original Marvel comics he talked, very briefly, and then in the cartoon it was all in head tilts, body language, and hand gestures. Now I am not so sure how it is in the new comics, but its probably a lot of the same. I don't think I have ever seen Snake use sign language, but I guess its kinda hard to depict that in comics or in a kids cartoon show.

#20 Edited by RazielWraith (583 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't care about the crappy cartoons. They've never been able to write him or any character correctly. They've never even tried too. Anyway... 

There have been many G.I. Joe comic book titles 
http://www.yojoe.com/comics/

Now he did use sign language in the very first issue. He of course talked before the crash, but after that Snake Eyes only said one word, at that time in the Marvel comics, Scarlett was in a coma and he shouted her name. He's never spoken again.

#21 Posted by MrMiracle77 (1659 posts) - - Show Bio
@RazielWraith

The datalink communicator comes from the Devil's Due comic, but not from any particular issue.  I first read about it in one of the Personnel File comic books.
#22 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio
@Snake Eyes said:
Best post ever. 
#23 Posted by RazielWraith (583 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought so

#24 Posted by ntb1124 (949 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler said:
Static Shock said:
"Gambler said:
Really? Cause I made an RP account for him on Myspace. I just wanna get an idea on how he communicates with others. Tryna download G.I. Joe comics from a torrent (whole collection), but that will take days."
He does alot of speaking through head tilts and body language. But yeah, alot of people seem to know what he's saying without him actually signing.

I have got to learn how to talk to women like that!!!!!!
#25 Edited by RazielWraith (583 posts) - - Show Bio

A shame that the conversation has end like this

#26 Posted by NightFang (9973 posts) - - Show Bio

@ntb1124 said:

@Gambler said:
Static Shock said:
"Gambler said:

I have got to learn how to talk to women like that!!!!!!

You and me both.

#27 Posted by XMASCATEXE (135 posts) - - Show Bio

" Cryptologist " ?...Nvmd. Don't smite me, but just saying.

Anyways he speaks in ninja. Also he makes a rattling noise when he shakes his butt and knows how to string together Morse code with that.

#28 Edited by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, sign language if he's got something complex to say. In that case, another character will interpret. Usually though, he just points and nods and other simple stuff like that. He's not too loquacious.

EDIT: Oh, and in the final issue of the original Marvel series, a letter he writes forms the narration for the issue. So I guess he sometimes also writes down what he needs to say.

#29 Posted by Snake Eyes (101 posts) - - Show Bio

(-'_'-)

#30 Posted by daredevil21134 (11458 posts) - - Show Bio

@gambler said:

He signs. He's actually talked a few times as well. But mostly they show him around people who just seem to know what he's trying to say.

He has?

#31 Posted by Oluf_Von_Host_Museum (84677 posts) - - Show Bio

@gambler said:

He has?

#32 Posted by daredevil21134 (11458 posts) - - Show Bio

@gambler: Wow!!! That's awsome.They should make talk I don't see how that would hurt his character

#33 Edited by LSROTJ (92 posts) - - Show Bio

Fixing his vocal cords is a little too Sci-Fi and G.I. Joe already has enough of that... or did. We can barely do that in today's world.

It would end up looking like laziness, which has been the problem with a lot of writers who can't get past his disability of not being able to speak. Just about every character in fiction has suffered a loss or losses and this was one of them for Snake Eyes... get use to it.

Larry Hama has been doing find with Snake Eyes for the past 31 years, there's no need to make him talk just because a few people here find it difficult that someone who can't talk is able to communicate with others with simple hand singles and body language.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.