Follow

Smallville

Location » Smallville appears in 1202 issues.

The hometown of Superman, and his high school sweetheart Lana Lang.

Smallville: What's the appeal?

Chicago_Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Chicago_Bruce

With season ten on the way (the finale to the series, as I understand it), I want to understand the appeal.

I gave Smallville a chance or two over the years, but never got hooked. So friends, what is it that has kept you a fan?  (Other then the male models turned actors)

Were you a Superman/DC fan before watching the show? Or did Smallville introduce you to the Superman/DC world?

Are their (specific) instances where DC does it better? Or when the show does?

For my part, what always turned me off about the show was having a young Lex and a young Clark share the same space. I understand you can't have the show without that tension, but I guess I'm old school in liking that they don't cross paths until after Clark moves to Metropolis. But with Smallville (tv) and now Superman: Secret Origin (2009-2010), it seems that Smallville changed or at least heavily influenced DC canon. I'm not so sure how I feel about that. Since I also don't quite get how Ollie (Oliver Queen/Green Arrow) would know Clark Kent before he knows Bruce Wayne. Since DC canon has Ollie and Bruce as friends or at least associates before either of them become Green Arrow and Batman.

Though don't get me wrong, I adore Ollie as a character, I was raised on Green Arrow; I just don't get why an Ollie and Clark team up would come before Bruce and Clark or Bruce and Ollie.

Those are my two major grievances against the show. Still, I'm interested in a crash course to learn about Smallville and understand why it is so popular. As even as season ten approached, I still want to give it a chance.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.