Fan Campaign Marshalls For SMALLVILLE'S Chloe Sullivan

Posted by No_name_here (1225 posts) - - Show Bio

What's all the fuss about this girl?

I’ll confess to not being a SMALLVILLE devotee, and thus, I don't know that much about the show’s cast. I do remember, that when I posted about there being a death in the upcoming season finale, there was a strong point of contention in the Comic Vine community centering on this Chloe character. You maniacs either loved her to bits or wanted more than anything for her to get the axe. I didn’t realize there was such a throng of passionate fans for the character (and the actress, presumably, lest we forget the sine quai non here), but my expectations exist only to be confounded every day, don’t they?

Comic Vine received a press release yesterday from a fan group seeking to drum up some greater appreciation for Chloe Sullivan/Allison Mack. I’ll let them make the pitch to you, in their own words…

"Fans honor CW leading lady &  Smallville  star, Allison Mack, with tribute commercial to air in Los Angeles.

Smallville  fans have funded a professionally-filmed tribute commercial for the CW leading lady Allison Mack and her tv character, Chloe Sullivan, to air this Spring in Los Angeles before this season concludes. Starring on  Smallville  since 2001, Ms. Mack has gained a large and devoted fan base as one of the CW's most beloved stars.

For the completion of her 9th year on the series, Smallville fans decided to celebrate Allison Mack and her tv character, Chloe Sullivan, with a commercial project entitled  Legendary . Scripted and funded entirely by fans, this first of its kind tribute ad was filmed in Los Angeles in late February. In the capable hands of the director, Jon Michael Kondrath, cast and crew created a tribute ad focusing on who Chloe Sullivan is and what she means to Smallville fans.

The ad highlights milestones in Chloe Sullivan's journey from her introduction as a high school student in Smallville to being hired at the Daily Planet as well as becoming Clark Kent's confidante.

The website, Legendary ( http://www.legendarychloe.com), has been set up for the project. Although the initial goals of the project have been met, the organizers invite other Smallville fans to help them expand the project with longer air time for the ad or airing it in a second tv market.

Ms. Mack has been the center of a flurry of fan activity recently. Earlier this year,  Smallville  fans participated in  Operation: Truth & Justice , another initiative to honor Ms. Mack, in which fans donated $3000 to the Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation in her name and sent the CW star baskets of fan created gifts in appreciation of her performance."

I don’t believe I’ve ever heard of an ad campaign that simply wanted to draw attention to an actress in a specific role - - I’d figure they’d be campaigning to get her an Emmy or some such - - but we live in a brave new world of gods and monsters, today. I’ve pulled what I believe is the ad in question from Legendary Chloe’s site and posted it for your viewing pleasure below. Actually, I’m not sure if this is the ad itself or an ad to promote the ad?   
== TEASER ==

Anyway, I expect you all to chime in this. How many Chloe lovers do we have here? How many haters? What exactly is her deal on the show that’s drawn her more attention than the actresses playing Lana Lang and Lois Lane? Educate me here!

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. Watch out for the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover collection this April - - available for pre-order now on Amazon.com.

#1 Posted by Kid_Zombie (824 posts) - - Show Bio

ha ha shes def getting the axe at the end of the season that's why

#2 Edited by Jordanstine (907 posts) - - Show Bio

I used to like the Chloe Sullivan character... really hated Lana Lane

But then I stopped watching Smallville after season 4 because I couldn't stand Lois Lane

Curse you Magneto! ... uh... I mean, curse you Clark Kent!
I don't care who gets the axe. 

Smallville just isn't the same show without Lex Luthor.
#3 Posted by daveydavey (359 posts) - - Show Bio

Allison Mack    is a cutie pie.
#4 Posted by sora_thekey (8178 posts) - - Show Bio

No!!!!!!  
Don't kill my favorite character of the show!
#5 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9174 posts) - - Show Bio

I am defenitly a devoted fan of chloe always was. I love her and I followed her stories since the beginning then watched them over again on the smallville DVD's.
#6 Edited by NightFang (10128 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the Chloe character but I just won't her too die.

#7 Posted by iloverobots (455 posts) - - Show Bio

This is crazy. I like it. I'm pretty sure Lex is coming back somehow (reference to it in the JSA episode) and I think at this point in the series it would make sense to kill Chloe.  

It's great that this 'organization' (I guess that's what they are) donated to the Christopher & Dona Reeve foundation too, might as well help people while they're doing all this promo anyways. Thumbs up to them!

#8 Posted by CaptHowdy (194 posts) - - Show Bio

I've always found Chloe pretty useless.

#9 Posted by warlock360 (28054 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Posted by mimschkin (626 posts) - - Show Bio

This is... rather strange. I like Chloe, I think she grounds the show, but what do I know, E4 refuses to show this season in this country.

#11 Posted by chalkshark (1193 posts) - - Show Bio

Smallville has always maintained it's own separate continuity, while borrowing heavily from story elements from the Superman comic series, both pre & post crisis.  The Chloe Sullivan character serves as kind of a banner denoting the disparity between what's canon for the television series & what's canon in the comics' series. I can see the appeal, for the writer's, in introducing a character that isn't saddled with all the historical weight of the source material. I expect there's a great deal of freedom in writing her character. I think she's a bit of a polarizing figure with the fan base, as she's found herself in positions normally occupied by long established comic characters. She usurped Pete Ross's position as confidant to Clark. She's the Oracle in the Smallville Watchtower. That kind of thing. I was, initially, against the idea of having a brand new character shoehorned into Superman's past. Allison Mack, however, has imbued the character with a kind of winsome charm that has made her more palatable over the years. I think a lot of fans are hoping that the death of Chloe Sullivan will be the final impetus necessary to get Clark Kent to become Superman. I support that, if the writer's follow through on that direction. If not, then I fail to see how her death.... really, any character's death...  serves the story. I know I certainly have no interest in seeing another season of grieving Clark Kent. 

#12 Edited by johnny_spam (2036 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked Chloe years ago but to me she is like Harley Quinn a character that works fine a show and is liked by fans but is pretty useless hopefully they won't make the mistake they did with Harley and giver her a role in the comic books.

#13 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

From the way Marshalls was capitalized, I thought this had something to do with that terrible store.

#14 Posted by AngelFrost (2833 posts) - - Show Bio

I am a huge fan of Chloe Sullivan
she's been there from the very start and the actress, Allison Mack has been completely dedicated, even directing a couple episodes herself.

Like I said before, she's been there from the start and deserves to be there until the very end.

#15 Posted by The Island (82 posts) - - Show Bio

They can kill ANYONE they want in this stupid show and it won't matter. After Lex was gone, this show went from bad to worse.

#16 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio
 I have to admit - I use to hate her back in the early seasons. But now if she were to die it would suck to see her go. :(

@Voidheart
said:
" http://www.allisonmack.com/

I'm going to be in tv when i'm old? no way D: "

lol I remember when she was in Camp Nowhere
#17 Posted by E.I.S.A.M. (369 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow these fans waisted so much time and money on an actress they have never met. That's got to be the stupidest thing I've heard all day long, and I've been watching Fox News! (okay, not really, but you see my point.) 
Once again Smallville brings me too many questions to be bothered to answer....  
*Why is it taking ten years for Clark to become Superman?  
*How is he supposed to fool anyone with a pair of glasses at this point?  
*Who is he supposed to fight as Superman if he defeats all his villains now?  
*Why does Hawkman sound like Batman?  
*Why is Green Arrow wearing sunglasses that can easily fall off when he can just get a mask? 
*Why is Lois Lane even there?  
*Why are Jimmy and Lex dead?  
*Who the heck is Chloe Sullivan, and why did a group of losers make a commercial about her? 

#18 Edited by Mahtu (191 posts) - - Show Bio
@sora_thekey:  It would make me very sad as well....
@Jordanstine said:

"
I used to like the Chloe Sullivan character... really hated Lana Lane

But then I stopped watching Smallville after season 4 because I couldn't stand Lois Lane

Curse you Magneto! ... uh... I mean, curse you Clark Kent!
I don't care who gets the axe. 

Smallville just isn't the same show without Lex Luthor. "
Ahem, that would be Lana Lang, not Lane.....

AND I FREAKING LOVE ALLISON MACK!  Chloe's my favorite character in the entire show.
#19 Posted by dingding (2 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't mean any disrespect to those who love Chloe/Allison and have contributed in the project, but this entire thing just needs to blow over. Smallville isn't about Chloe, so I don't care for her. It's about Clark Kent, and I hate that he's always set back because of Chloe. Chloe has always been helping him out since she found out his secret, and can't seem to get her own life. Most of her fan base are people who don't understand Clark's importance and watch it only for her.

The commercial is just over doing it. I've seen campaigns that aren't as loud as this one is. I mean, so many sites are covering it because they think it's the best thing ever. It's just way too loud for my liking. Loud campaigns just annoy the crap out of me because they seem to be way too desperate. I've heard of campaigns such as Operation Wild Cherry, but that's because it was mentioned at Comic Con last year. I wasn't apart of it, but the fans never went to lengths of contacting people in order to get people's attention, making it bigger than it should be. She's just a character on a show. Why waste money when Allison Mack has made it clear she doesn't want to be on the show anymore? She made it clear back in season 7 that she might be leaving Smallville like Michael & Kristin have.

Chloe isn't legendary, and saying she's legendary is like calling a water hoes legendary. You just don't throw that word around, especially when the main character is more legendary than she is. Hell Lois & Lex are more legendary than she is.  

Where is campaingns for Clark Kent exactly? He's been butchered plenty of times on Smallville because of who he's dating or not dating. People shaft him way too much because of the relationships he's in or isn't in. It just annoys me that people worship Chloe like she's some kind of savior when she's just a character on a show that she shouldn't be in, in the first place.

I can't wait for Chloe to either leave Smallville or kick over, because she's the worst character on Smallville and has no purpose. She hasn't for awhile now. Once she's gone, things in the Smallville fandom will be much quieter.

#20 Posted by johnny_spam (2036 posts) - - Show Bio
@E.I.S.A.M.: @E.I.S.A.M. said:
" Wow these fans waisted so much time and money on an actress they have never met. That's got to be the stupidest thing I've heard all day long, and I've been watching Fox News! (okay, not really, but you see my point.) 
*Why is Green Arrow wearing sunglasses that can easily fall off when he can just get a mask? 
*Who the heck is Chloe Sullivan, and why did a group of losers make a commercial about her?  "
That last season was so terrible I would not say the show is much better now but there are individual episodes that are good still. I can answer a few questions. 

In a interview Michael Shanks said he wanted it to sound like Hawkman's voice was strained because after a lifetime of fighting he could not yell anymore.   

Lois Lane came in a earlier episode because her cousin on the show only is Chloe at some point she was assumed dead so Lois came to find her and just kind of stuck around.   

The Jimmy and Lex dying thing are what pissed me off last season but they have explanations (that are stupid)  the Jimmy that died was not the real Jimmy but his older  brother the younger and "true" Jimmy is seen at his funeral even though Lex died it is said by the character Dr. Fate in a episode that Lex and Clark will fight in the future hinting that he is either alive still or will come back.  
 As for Chloe she started off as a hint at Lois Lane since Lois was not on the show now she seems to be a hint a Oracle as well she really is popular on the show but again she does not need to be in the comic books as any role she could have is taken.
#21 Posted by 00 Raiser (442 posts) - - Show Bio

I LOVE ME SOME CHLOE!!!!  She makes the show fun.

#22 Posted by Robat army (1 posts) - - Show Bio

This project sounds pretty interesting, more unusual than the typical boring print ad that fans usually raise money for

I've always like Chloe, but Lex is my favorite and he left a while back now

#23 Posted by nick_clark (129 posts) - - Show Bio

I really love Chloe, my favorite character no doubt. I hope they don't kill her.

#24 Posted by mechanisms (1 posts) - - Show Bio

What's so special about this girl? She's Smallville's legend, hence the word 'legendary,' and what makes Smallville unique from mythos. She had no place in Superman's story, yet many fans grew to love her anyway. I feel as if the project honoring her versus Clark Kent is not surprising because she is under appreciated. She barely gets promoted by the network and by the show. Therefore, I'm glad to see fans support her. She is the under dog. :)

Too often, haters would just use "SHE ISN'T MYTHOS! SHE'S USELESS!' to back up their hate, and I honestly do not understand their rationale. Smallville writers created her. She is Clark Kent's best friend. She helped him to become the man that he is today (Anytime she says "Up, Up, and Away" my heart melts.) She saved him, risking her own life. I think she's plenty useful. But... Haters gonna hate.

THANK YOU to ComicVine for giving the project some media coverage. It was a huge effort by the fans, and it is really, incredibly nice to be recognized in some form. The smallville fandom is indeed divided on Chloe Sullivan, but to be honest, they're divided on almost every character on the show. :) Again, thanks for posting this! 

P.S. This also has to be said... The campaign wasn't born out of fear that Chloe Sullivan would die this season. In fact, many fans went into this project knowing that his was a huge possibility. Yet, we wanted to honor her character and thank Smallville productions, CW, etc. for giving us her anyway. 

#25 Posted by Venatio (21 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't watched Smallville in a very long time but they better not kill her off

#26 Posted by nzs23 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Chloe Sullivan, as played by the lovely and talented Allison Mack, really is legendary.  She's smart, determined, a great friend, and an amazing investigative reporter.  She knows Clark better than anyone else on the show (other than Martha). Her Wall of Weird brought to the forefront the meteorites effect on the people of Smallville.    Since the Pilot she and Clark have teamed up to fight the bad guys - whether they are meteor freaks, Zoners, Zod, Brainiac, Lex, etc.  She's saved Clark's life and helped him save the world on numerous occasions.  They complement each other. She truly is Smallville's legacy. 

Thank you for covering this amazing project. :)
#27 Posted by AnaSullivanLane (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Allison/Chloe Rocks! so glad to see this happening!

#28 Posted by Vera00 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Chloe Sullivan is essentially the heart of the show - she and her relationship with Clark make the latter a relatable character instead of the untouchable, two-towers burning, violence against females "hero" he is currently. She's reshaped a boring, seen-it-before story into something paying attention to and what happens to her is pretty much the last interesting thing the show has left to tell.  Allison Mack is far more talented and beloved than the other actresses on the show as this ad shows for those reasons and so much more. Thanks for the article, I hope to see more coverage as the ad date draws closer.

#29 Posted by Harlekin (682 posts) - - Show Bio

Kill her.

#30 Posted by grimm (525 posts) - - Show Bio

She's the only reason I watch the show.

#31 Posted by fedykin87 (102 posts) - - Show Bio

Every time they say there is going to be a death I keep hoping thats its Chloe, her character annoys me to no end. I'm one of the few that loved Lana and hated Chloe but still can't stand Lois. I'm hopig Chloe finally gets the Cosmic Axe this time around her character is a bad cross between Oracle and the loyal sidekick roles and since this is superman I'll say that part of her is a depowered Krypto or something.

#32 Posted by comicbufftoughstuff (25 posts) - - Show Bio

Chloe is my favorite character on Smallville and it would be sad to see her killed off. It must happen however, but I could not greater hope that she will not die until the series finale. Her death is what should make clark superman... she's been so thoroughly developed, her death couldn't possibly be pointless. But I have to give Allison Mack props for being a stellar actress... she enchanted me from the first episode and has not lost that charm.  Keep her until the end.

#33 Posted by E.I.S.A.M. (369 posts) - - Show Bio
@dingding:  
THANK you!  
That's what I'm sayin'!
#34 Posted by BlackPandaOps (1 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's great that folks are saying thank you to Allison for all her great years of work on Smallville. She has been my favorite character for years, though I did love Lex, Lionel and Martha too. If it weren't for Chloe I wouldn't have kept watching this show after so many of the key players left. I just wish we could have a bit more of her this year. I feel the show shines brightest when she is front and center.

#35 Posted by meimi (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Lex and Chloe were my favorites from day one - with Lex gone, I would have quit watching two seasons ago if Chloe wasn't around. Her presence and years-long friendship with Clark really has helped ground the show since it started original bleeding cast members. Allison Mack has done a lot of great work on the show the past nine years, it's great to see fans giving her recognition for it.

#36 Posted by E.I.S.A.M. (369 posts) - - Show Bio
@johnny spam: @johnny spam said:
" @E.I.S.A.M.: @E.I.S.A.M. said:
" Wow these fans waisted so much time and money on an actress they have never met. That's got to be the stupidest thing I've heard all day long, and I've been watching Fox News! (okay, not really, but you see my point.) 
*Who the heck is Chloe Sullivan, and why did a group of losers make a commercial about her?  "
That last season was so terrible I would not say the show is much better now but there are individual episodes that are good still. I can answer a few questions.   In a interview Michael Shanks said he wanted it to sound like Hawkman's voice was strained because after a lifetime of fighting he could not yell anymore.   Lois Lane came in a earlier episode because her cousin on the show only is Chloe at some point she was assumed dead so Lois came to find her and just kind of stuck around.   The Jimmy and Lex dying thing are what pissed me off last season but they have explanations (that are stupid)  the Jimmy that died was not the real Jimmy but his older  brother the younger and "true" Jimmy is seen at his funeral even though Lex died it is said by the character Dr. Fate in a episode that Lex and Clark will fight in the future hinting that he is either alive still or will come back.   As for Chloe she started off as a hint at Lois Lane since Lois was not on the show now she seems to be a hint a Oracle as well she really is popular on the show but again she does not need to be in the comic books as any role she could have is taken. "
*Well, and this is directed at the actor that played him not you, That whole raspy voice was stupid. It so obviously sounded like Batman, and he should be smart enough to know that.  
*But then why did Lois stay? Why is she there? What other purpose does she fulfill other than to be another talentless hot girl on a stripper pole? 
*Oh! That Jimmy Olsen thing is so Smallville it's not even funny! Backpedal! Creating drama just for drama's sake! Never taking a risk, never moving the story forward! Hacks! Useless Hacks! Who the F#%!% invents a character's older brother with the exact same name as his younger sibling!?! Are the "writers" just huffing paint all day? They really created a brother for Jimmy Olsen..... named JIMMY OLSEN! What is this Pete & Pete!?!
#37 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2727 posts) - - Show Bio
@johnny spam: 

Wait.....what?!?

Jimmy had a brother called Jimmy who's basicly the same character with the same interests and career goal?
Suppose that's the TV version of the classic DC retcon.
#38 Posted by marifurtado (1 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm so happy to see the fans showing their support to Allison Mack, she made Chloe Sullivan be so special to me. I can't wait to watch it. :D

#39 Posted by ChloieBearchell (1 posts) - - Show Bio

This is really amazing! I'm a major Chloe and it's been hard watching how mistreated and hated on she is so to see that fans actually care enough about her and Allison Mack to make something so huge like this really puts a huge smile on my face! Chloe Sullivan really makes Smallville what it is in my opinion. The show isn't as great as it use to be but Chloe sure makes it watchable!

A season 10 without Allison Mack as Chloe Sullivan is absolutely unimaginable! She deserves to be there for, the supposed, last year!

#40 Posted by RoninKane (80 posts) - - Show Bio

People keep saying that she deserves to be there, but my question is does she want to? I'm pretty sure she's leaving the show and not getting kicked off it. About the fans spending all that money, the Reeves charity was nice but with all do respect to Allison Mack, with all the stupid S&*# going on in the world, with most people hurting for money, these fans that bought the commercial with mom and dads' money makes me hang my head low. I'd like to think Ms. Mack although flattered I'm sure, would have like to see that money spent a little wiser being that its kind of in her name. Charity good, commercial not so much!      

#41 Posted by Grendel (560 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm almost positive in the pilot episode of Smallville that no one called the Chloe character by name, so I just assumed she was Lois.

#42 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont get it. if this actress is leaving the show thats because she is probably going on to
do bigger and better things, or at least pursue interests that are beneficial to her self somehow,
correct? and from what i understand she certainly has the skills for bigger at that. isnt this wanting 
a star to play a role forever almost twisted in some sense?

#43 Posted by AnneBridget (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh Chloe is a wonderful character, she is smart, determined, beautiful, strong , inquisitive, truthseeker she is a superheroine on her own right without having any powers and she is also the light of the show. Allison Mack is a brilliant and beautiful actress with a smile that could lighten and entire room and brings a warn to the screen that is almost magical. You need to watch her to see why she won so many hearts!

#44 Posted by NickyC (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Chloe Sullivan ~ How to create a Legendary Heroine! 

#45 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe they want her to have a comic book appearance or something. I can see some fans starting a campaign to get her written into the mainstream continuity of DC.

#46 Edited by ivybarnes03 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Haha. They already have the rights for Chloe but they'll never write her in as herself because Smallville gives her too much importance. And I do hope she goes away. I can't stand her. And I used to like her but there's no way in hell she's legendary. If you watch the show, especially the latest seasons, you'll see how she is the farthest thing from being legendary. Perversely, I want Smallville to end so that she can be forgotten. That's how worthless she's become in S8 and S9.

She has an annoying fanbase though. That's why she gets attention. They're the kind of people who will call attention to everything they do.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.