Skaar on the Dark Avengers

Posted by Nefilim927 (357 posts) - - Show Bio

This weeks New Avengers #18 has brought the return of Norman Osborn and his Dark Avengers. Osborn travels to the Savage Land to recruit Skaar and he agrees. Now I've always been a fan of Skaar and his daddy issues and was kind of bummed when he got bumped to the Savage Land. I don't mind him being on the Dark Avengers either. However I'm not sold that Skaar has never heard of Norman Osborn. I know Hulk and Skaar didn't have a lot of direct involvement in Dark Reign or Siege for that matter but for Skaar to just sign on without knowing Osborn...just don't seem right. Any thoughts?

#1 Posted by Superskrull86 (1831 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that this will really benefeit his character. I thought that it was so boring with him in the savage land. Rulk would have been a better choice

#2 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8112 posts) - - Show Bio

Good way to bring the character back an probably gonna be a good link up to the new hulk series with the seperation anxiety between Hulk an Banner

#3 Posted by DEGRAAF (7881 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope so. I have been craving me some Skaar. I thought he was offered a position on the last Dark Avengers team too (maybe im just thinking of him and Wolverines son talking

#4 Posted by Nefilim927 (357 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, but doesn't anyone think it strange that he just signed on so easily? I would think Skaar to be very untrusting of someone he just meets especially someone like Norman Osborn who reeks of evil car salesman in that scene.

#5 Posted by Unknown Soldier (80 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nefilim927: Well technically Skaar is still a young teenage boy, and Norman has been known to be very persuasive in the past.

#6 Posted by DEGRAAF (7881 posts) - - Show Bio

@Unknown Soldier: @TheCheeseStabber: @Superskrull86: @Nefilim927 said:

Yes, but doesn't anyone think it strange that he just signed on so easily? I would think Skaar to be very untrusting of someone he just meets especially someone like Norman Osborn who reeks of evil car salesman in that scene.

i'm guessing he will figure out he is on the wrong side quickly

NEW AVENGERS #23

•The Shocking Conclusion To The Dark Avengers Saga!

•Will One Of The Dark Avengers Become A New Avenger?!

•…And Will There Be A Shocking Fatality In The Avengers Battle Of The Year?!!

#7 Posted by ShadowX (1218 posts) - - Show Bio

@DEGRAAF: I hope your right.

It doesnt feel right, I havent actually read the issue due to the fact i cant buy comics on a regular basis. How did Norman get Skaar to join? If it was brining back the whole daddy problems, then that is a loss of character development? If it was convincing him that he was the good guy, then wouldnt have Banner told Skaar about norman since when Skaar came to earth he was in control, and Banner knew he couldnt be trusted. Especially since he was teaching him about its difficult to tell between friends and enemies, such as with the Daken incident. Was it threatening the people of the savage land? I could picture something like that, although I think Skaar could probably crush Norman and any of the HAMMER forces, but he may not want to risk the lives of his followers. Can somebody please clarify this for me?

#8 Posted by Nefilim927 (357 posts) - - Show Bio

@ShadowX: Norman just showed up and asked him and he said okay. I don't know if they're going to expand upon that later (I would certainly hope so). And all of the points you made about Banner talking to him about Osborn and their run in with Daken and Wolverine is precisely why I initially thought none of this made sense. I like Skaar, I like the Dark Avengers and all that but sell it to me a little better please.

#9 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33491 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked Skaar in the Savage Land I like him having that whole barbarian feel.

#10 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29501 posts) - - Show Bio

Skaar might turn to the good guy's side?

That's exactly what Bendis did on his last Dark Avengers team. But with Noh-Varr.

#11 Posted by Unbreakable Bracelets (134 posts) - - Show Bio

He better not hurt Daredevil or Ms.Marvel.

#12 Posted by Nefilim927 (357 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123: Yea and besides who else on the Dark Avengers would be switchin to the good side?

#13 Posted by ShadowX (1218 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nefilim927: Really just "Okay" grrrrr. I hope they do expand on this somehow. I agree as soon a I saw the first teaser, with the shadows, I knew Skaar was on the team, but i hoped he wasnt because it didnt make sense to me.

#14 Posted by DEGRAAF (7881 posts) - - Show Bio

READ FROM TOP TO BOTTOM I COULDNT GET IT TO LOAD IN THE CORRECT ORDER

@ShadowX: @Nefilim927:

#15 Posted by Nefilim927 (357 posts) - - Show Bio

@DEGRAAF: Ok so maybe I paraphrased but not by much. lol

#16 Posted by yumyumbubblegum (618 posts) - - Show Bio

I never understood the reasoning behind this either, especially since the Dark Reign the list miniseries, whereby Norman specifically targeted Banner for elimination. I guess Skaar's character development is back to square one. If anything, Logan will be the one who will guide Skaar away from Osborn (a tribute to Old Man Logan maybe?).

#17 Posted by DEGRAAF (7881 posts) - - Show Bio

@yumyumbubblegum said:

I never understood the reasoning behind this either, especially since the Dark Reign the list miniseries, whereby Norman specifically targeted Banner for elimination. I guess Skaar's character development is back to square one. If anything, Logan will be the one who will guide Skaar away from Osborn (a tribute to Old Man Logan maybe?).

2 things

1.) what makes you think Logan will lead him away

2.) are you showing this scan bc it is proving that Skaar knew about Osborn before? (thanks for the scan by the way i thought he knew about it)

#18 Posted by VenomMelendez (407 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually, Banner and Skaar did have some involvement in Dark Reign. They were a part of the List series of one shots and Daken tried to recruit Skaar to the original Dark Avengers.

That said, Skaar didn't have direct contact with Osborn before.

#19 Posted by DEGRAAF (7881 posts) - - Show Bio

So can anyone tell me how this is going so far? Has Skaar come to his senses?

#20 Posted by DEGRAAF (7881 posts) - - Show Bio

Has he figured out yet that he is working for the enemy now?

#21 Posted by Nefilim927 (357 posts) - - Show Bio

@DEGRAAF: Unfortunately I can not tell what is being done with Skaar in this situation and whether any of his previous history is taken into account. In the latest New Avengers #21 after the New Avengers destroy Ragnarok Osborn asks Skaar what their next course of action should be. Skaar is fully aware that attacking them back would make them look like martyrs. So if he is aware of how all that works I would have to assume he would recognize those surrounding him as EVIL PSYCHOPATHS!!!!! I just don't get it....

#22 Posted by DEGRAAF (7881 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nefilim927: That sucks. I dont think anything is worse then when writers dont take in to account previous writers work specially on a new character with such little history.

Skaar has been my favorite Marvel character since his creation. Since his fighting Hulk (which while semi entertaining) which sucked poorly, he has basically been thrown thru a gauntlet of crappy situations (minus him fighting his twin brother) and imo uncharacteristic fights and emotions. I know he is young but he grows and matures faster than a human so he shouldnt be acting like a 7 yr old he should be acting like a old teen or someone in there early 20's. He has faced deception, lies, slavery, he should not just join for no reason.

They need to give him a good reason to be on this team like secret agent or he has to have some kind of plan that will further his plans or goals. Money to fund a colony maybe? Trying to get back to his father? IDK

#23 Posted by Super_Gui_1 (318 posts) - - Show Bio

Well that's interesting.

#24 Posted by ShadowX (1218 posts) - - Show Bio

@Super_Gui_1:

Double agent all along?

#25 Posted by royale_with_cheese (747 posts) - - Show Bio

@Super_Gui_1 said:

Well that's interesting.

F*kin a

#26 Posted by Super_Gui_1 (318 posts) - - Show Bio

@ShadowX said:

@Super_Gui_1:

Double agent all along?

Well skaar always seemed more of a good guy at hearth so most likely yes.

#27 Posted by Nefilim927 (357 posts) - - Show Bio

About damn time. Oh yeah heard about this today too

"After Singh introduced the panelists, the Marvel panel kicked off with a June 2012 release date for "Dark Avengers" ongoing with Jeff Parker on writing, Kev Walker and Declan Shalvey on art. Luke Cage will lead the Dark Avengers this go around. "It leads in really well with what Jeff's been doing in the Marvel Universe," said Singh."

#28 Posted by ShadowX (1218 posts) - - Show Bio

Ehhhh Just another Avengers title. I hope it's good. Might stay on it because of skaar.

#29 Posted by Arkhamc1tizen (2145 posts) - - Show Bio

ill buy the dark avengers title just because of skarr

dont care for cage

ragnarok intresting

#30 Posted by Nefilim927 (357 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm interested to see what kind of further development is in store for Ai Apaec, The Decapitator. He's a fairly new character introduced in the Osborn series as well as June Covington. I'm glad to see Skaar back on a more popular book as I loved him in Incredible Hulks but just couldn't get into his Savage Land solo series. As far as Ragnarok goes I am at an utter loss. It was my understanding that at the end of Fear Itself, everyone's memories of Thor transformed into memories of Tanarus. Though I have not been keeping up with Asgardian affairs post Fear Itself I don't recall that whole situation being resolved (would actually appreciate anyones clarification on the matter). I have little to no interest in the chick who is posing as Ms. Marvel. That leaves us with Gorgon and Barney Barton. My first time reading the Wolverine series where Gorgon debuted I recall being pretty entertained by this villain yet he has not shown me much since his return. And as far as Barney Barton goes...well, hell I'd just much rather have Bullseye back.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.