undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

Last issue left us a gloriously suspenseful cliffhanger that even Thaal Sinestro himself has trouble believing is happening. Once it’s confirmed that Hal Jordan is, in fact, facing him down (which has the other meaning of confirming his daughter’s betrayal). The two go ‘round and ‘round until they realize the futility of that at which point they go verbally ‘round and ‘round about the fates of the rescued Korugarians. Cullen Bunn continues to completely redefine Sinestro as a sympathetic, yet deeply flawed, character and this issue gives us a development or two that makes him still MORE intriguing. He strikes a great balance between making Sinestro’s motivation grounded and real while not making Hal Jordan at all unreasonable or overly stubborn to try and conjure unearned sympathy for the guy who’s name is on the cover of the book. Nor does it have Sinestro try to act radically out of character to a similar end, the way he got here and the things that brought him are all believable from a character perspective, making this a villain solo book that has boundless potential to continue.

Dale Eaglesham returns on linework and, while I didn’t dislike his previous work on this title, when Rags Morales stepped on, I thought it was a much more appropriate style. I was reticent when I saw Eaglesham’s name on the cover but, whether intentionally or not, his style has gone from the old-school strongman style to a much more sleek, gaunt style of character much more apropos of the Corps that brings fear to the universe, particularly with the current lineup on the team. I love the juxtaposition that Eaglesham brings to each member of the Sinestro Corps: each one having physical attributes that are appealing while their personalities, and other parts of their physicality, are horrifying and unpredictable. Jason Wright is on colors and here too we have a change: previously I found his colors to be a little TOO sharp and crisp, a feeling that was at odds with the tone of the book, but here we see them toned down and subtle. There’s an almost sketchy quality to some panels that communicates the chaos and unpredictability of this cast.

The Bad

As great as this new direction is, the newest recruits into the Sinestro Corps are still mostly faceless (no pun intended) and devoid of strong personalities. We’ve got a great, solid base for Sinestro to stand on, but it feel like we know next to nothing of the other members of his Corps. These characters are new to comics in general and there’s a ton of potential for interesting, fresh support characters that hasn’t yet been tapped.

The Verdict

I haven’t even mentioned one of my biggest previous gripes with this series that this issue handles quickly and effectively (it’s a spoiler, so I won’t get into it), adding to its list of accomplishments. I was a fan of the title previously, but this issue elevates it in so many ways and so effectively that I’d say it’s on the track to being a must-read. Villain books aren’t easy to pull off, Bunn just makes it look that way.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Such an amazing issue, a 5/5 well earned. Cullen Bunn writes this PERFECTLY, his dialogue between Hal and Sinestro is so engaging that I actually believe everyone would step aside just to listen to them talk. He also knows how to write Sinestro just right, someone devious and better then you, who believes he is in the right. Also the art fits this book perfectly, it's very well done. I especially like all the little details and panel lay out throughout the book.

All in all this is everything I would want from a Sinestro series.

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

A great read I am pumped for Cullen Bunn's Lobo series this man was born to write villains.

czechoslovakia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOVED IT. I love Hal/Sinestro interaction, friendly or not. This issue was great and I'm really pumped for the new gods

DedrabbiT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DedrabbiT

Such a stellar issue.

TruthTeller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He mastered paralax. Wow

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By Fallschirmjager

I can't wait to see Bunn's take on Lobo. This guy is killing it from the villain/anti hero perspective,

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

I'm planning on getting this is trades since I'm really digging Green Lantern. And Cullen Bunn is incredible. Not surprised this is a good read, I don't think I've read anything bad from Bunn.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I can't wait to see Bunn's take on Lobo. This guy is killing it from the villain/anti hero perspective,

LOVED IT. I love Hal/Sinestro interaction, friendly or not. This issue was great and I'm really pumped for the new gods

@timelord said:

A great read I am pumped for Cullen Bunn's Lobo series this man was born to write villains.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
    WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This book is so damned good! The writing and art are top notch and I love how Sinestro is shaped as both sympathetic and arrogant as hell simultaneously. Mastering Parallax proves he's the baddest MF to ever don a ring and I loved how Hal sulked after Sinestro's display. Wow jut wow...

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This just proves Sinestro is still capable of order and control with lantern superiority. There's other parts in this issue that answers what was going on in the first issue.

Awesome issue. The best one so far.

LarryAshlynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Such a good book.

DJCG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Favorite DC book this week, this series is getting better and better!

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I am surprised of the great job Bunn is doing so far with this book. This is simply one of my favorite books out there.

AmirK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great review. Agreed 100% with the 5 stars

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Wow, everyone else's comments are spot on. I'm glad to see some positivity and praise in the comment sections. I loved this issue as well. Sinestro is such an interesting character and a complete badass.

J_HickmanIsGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By J_HickmanIsGod

@timelord said:

a Lobo series is happening?!?!?!?!

shit! stoked as hell for that! especially if Cullen Bunn is writing that, i got no worries

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Late to the party since I read in trade, but this series has been excellent so far.

Between this and Magneto, CB is turning into one of my favorite writers.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.