Follow

Sinestro

Character » Sinestro appears in 1189 issues.

Once considered the greatest Green Lantern in any sector, Sinestro came to believe that the only way to ensure order in the universe was through the reign of fear, a crime for which the Guardians banished him to Qward. There he created the first yellow power ring and later on founded his own corps, The Sinestro Corps. He has clashed frequently with his former student and protege; Hal Jordan. The relationship between the two is a complicated one, a mixture of both hatred and respect in equal measures.

The Emotional Spectrum Is Sorely Lacking In Actual Emotions

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

Edited By JonesDeini

Will power IS NOT an emotion!!!
    Will power IS NOT an emotion!!!
    It occurred to me recently that DC's emotional spectrum should really be renamed seeing as how most of the Lantern Corps lack any ties to actual emotions. For starters the most familiar corps, the Green Lantern Corps, derives their power source from will power. Will power is not an emotion, it's a character trait. The same could be said for avarice, the power source of Larfleeze the one man corps. Life and Death are states of being. In fact the only cores that are actually powered by emotions are the Red Lanterns, Sinestro Corps,and Star Sapphires. I'm wondering about including the Blue Lanterns in the latter group, but I feel that hope is abstract and hard to categorize. If I was forced to make a hard and fast decision I'd have to lump it in with the character trait groups.  

Anyways, what say you brethren? Should dc rethink this concept? If so what should it be renamed?
    batmanary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By batmanary

Yes they should. But any other name would sound weird. I'm pretty sure DC knew about this already...but what else can they call it without it coming off as too cheesy or strange?

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By JonesDeini
    @batmanary:  
    True, but it's not like they've been using the term before John's took over in 05/4 right? I'll take a shot in the dark and call it "The Spectrum" or "The Paths". 
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JonesDeini
    @batmanary: 
    Been thinking on this and still got nothin', heh, maybe DC did have the best idea after all.
    Mediant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By Mediant

I think it's fine if you don't sperg over the technical definitions of the words. The emotions of the corps are much more than simply the single words given.  Willpower is also bravery and sentience (which is perfect for it being the neutral center and core of the emotional spectrum). Love is devotion and passion. Compassion is sacrifice, selflessness, and empathy. Hope is optimism, faith, and renewal. Fear is pessimism, control, sadism. Avarice is selfishness, greed, and gluttony. Rage covers everything from vengeance to violence. 
    If your really look at the corps and not simply take them at name value you can see a whole series (or maybe tones) of emotion within their umbrellas.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JonesDeini
    @Mediant:  
    Interesting and excellent point. I never thought of it that way, makes a lot of sense.
    THALASTDRAGON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By THALASTDRAGON

this is somethin i've been saying for awhile.  i get why it is, i dont think tha execution of tha whole concept has displayed tha emotion it could have. 

@Mediant: u do make a good point. but even with some of those being expanded upon, i still dont view those as emotions.

Sydpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sydpart2

Well the way I justify it is that when we read a GL comic we're getting the rings translation and some things don't always fit when translated, especially concepts. Try to translate an idea to someone who's never heard of it and see how easy that is to wrap you're head around.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JonesDeini
    @Sydpart2:  
    I dig you...I think Lupe Fiasco said it best on "Them Music To A Drive By" 
    "I t's harder than sittin with a blind man and tryin to describe yellow..."
    Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Eyz

Isn't Willpower/Green Lantern's actual related emotion Courage?
    As in "courage" to overcome great fear.
    And also, you might say it's based around Oans' concept of emotions, and therefore probably different from Earth's idea of what emotions actually are.

And the whole spectrum is mostly an idea to imagine and represent all sorts of "emotions" that compose life, with 2 extremes. The willpower holds it all together in the middle and the farther you go away from it on both sides, the least control you got over the "emotion" and get controlled by it, like the Sapphire/love and Reds/Hatred. With Death on one side as the lack of emotions and Life on the other as representing all of 'em.

That's what I got anyway :P

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Kallarkz
    Agree with this sir ^ 

I would have hated to see the "Happy Corps" or "Sad Corps" or maybe even the "Depressed Corps". Would have made this seem like a organized mature version of Care Bears. 

I like it how it is tbh.
    Wormwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Wormwood

Kallarkz is right, though I would to see a super-powered monkey moping abuot the universe, sad corps wouldn't work very well 

But saying that one can feel willful, you can feel afraid, or even frightening, same with angry, loving, hopeful, greedy etc.

The concept is there, just takes a bit of jiggling around to make sense

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JonesDeini
    @Eyz:  
    Well said. 
    Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Eyz
    @Kallarkz said:
    " Agree with this sir ^ 

I would have hated to see the "Happy Corps" or "Sad Corps" or maybe even the "Depressed Corps". Would have made this seem like a organized mature version of Care Bears. 

I like it how it is tbh.
    "
    Exactly!
    Actual emotions are fun, nor practical story wise. Stop complaining (not you You, the others "you") and start having fun!
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

The lack of an Apathy Corps was the only thing I was disappointed with. The Black Lantern Corps encompass that, technically, but they're ****ing Zombies! ZOMBIES SUCK! 

Why couldn't someone like Jason Todd join the Black Lanterns? As a regular human, not a ****ing Zombie! That would have been epic.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Eyz
    @FadeToBlackBolt: Though, there were some "regular" humans. Like, the ones who died but were actually alive.
    Superman, Wonder Woman, Kid Flash, etc.. they all conserved their human appearances and weren't decaying corpses.
    And Black Hand as well.
    I guess if we'll see some new Black Lanterns in future stories, see them coming back, it might just be regular alive characters. (like the current cast of Brightest Day,...)
    Enforcer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Enforcer

I agree with you. I am amused by it. I should get a ring for that.

gui22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By gui22

yes of course

blue is hapiness
    black is sadness
    right...dummy
    Avatar image for herokiller12344
    Herokiller12344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Herokiller12344

I would have it like this

Blue = Happiness, which is powered by Hope and is Opposed by Saddness

Red= Anger, which is powered by Hatred and is opposed by Happiness

Yellow = Sadness, which is powered by Fear and fueled with Hatred and is Opposed by Pride

Green = Pride, which is powered by Will and is Opposed by Love

Purple = Love, which is powered by Compassion and is Opposed by Apathy

Black= Apathy, which is powered by Fear and the ability to simply not care which is Opposed by Empathy

White= Empathy, Which is powered by Love, Pride, and Happiness and is Heavily Deterring to Apathy

Explanation: Happiness can easliy stem from the concept of Hope in any situation, which is the point of the Blue Lanterns.

Anger In the words of Yoda can lead to Hate, which is a branch of Rage which the Red lanterns stand for.

Sadness and fear go hand in hand imagine being locked in a dark room while you yourself fear the blackness, Hate can easliy lead to you having a flood of depression. Its also weak to pride because some can be too proud to fear.

Pride stems from the will do continue doing what you do, while at the same time "Even the proudest hearts can be broken, with Love"

Love is (Com)Passion, but in the presence of one that lacks any shred of emotion is easily corrupted

Apathy is the Nihulistic belief of just not caring. Fear can break your sense of Hope, Pride, and Love and paves the way for one to become a blob of emo hate, which is in a sense living death.

Empathy is the ability to care and the responsibilty to care, Love, Pride and Happiness are all the emotions that imply the love of life and deterence of Apathy.

And Then there is Orange, the corrupted version of Fear, Fear of not having enough AKA Greed, its not its own Corps more of a Terrorist Organization in my version of things.    

That makes sense right?

katanalauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By katanalauncher

I don't think Fear is an emotion either, anxiety was always the key in evolution.

The big bad brave ones never survive for long.
    Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

Green Lanterns and Blue Lanterns are supposed to ignore their emotions. 

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JonesDeini
    @Herokiller12344: 
    Pretty cool breakdown
    Avatar image for batflasharrow96
    batflasharrow96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By batflasharrow96
    @Herokiller12344 said:

Yellow = Sadness, which is powered by Fear and fueled with Hatred and is Opposed by Pride

Black= Apathy, which is powered by Fear and the ability to simply not care which is Opposed by Empathy

White= Empathy, Which is powered by Love, Pride, and Happiness and is Heavily Deterring to Apathy

Explanation: Happiness can easliy stem from the concept of Hope in any situation, which is the point of the Blue Lanterns.

Anger In the words of Yoda can lead to Hate, which is a branch of Rage which the Red lanterns stand for.

Sadness and fear go hand in hand imagine being locked in a dark room while you yourself fear the blackness, Hate can easliy lead to you having a flood of depression. Its also weak to pride because some can be too proud to fear.

Pride stems from the will do continue doing what you do, while at the same time "Even the proudest hearts can be broken, with Love"

Love is (Com)Passion, but in the presence of one that lacks any shred of emotion is easily corrupted

Apathy is the Nihulistic belief of just not caring. Fear can break your sense of Hope, Pride, and Love and paves the way for one to become a blob of emo hate, which is in a sense living death.

Empathy is the ability to care and the responsibilty to care, Love, Pride and Happiness are all the emotions that imply the love of life and deterence of Apathy.

And Then there is Orange, the corrupted version of Fear, Fear of not having enough AKA Greed, its not its own Corps more of a Terrorist Organization in my version of things.    

That makes sense right?

PERFECT!
    Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23  Edited By Feliciano2040
    @Herokiller12344 said:

That makes sense right?

I commend your effort on writing this, it makes a lot of sense.

Unfortunately, whatever explanation we try to give to the emotional spectrum of the GL universe is just rationalization at it's best, the sad truth here is that Geoff Johns thought all of those were emotions.
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JonesDeini
    @Feliciano2040:  
    Word, when Geoff "Thinks" bad things happen :P
    Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Feliciano2040
    @JonesDeini said:
    @Feliciano2040:  Word, when Geoff "Thinks" bad things happen :P

Why does he even have a job writing comics ?

Worse, why do so many people like his stuff ?

*Hangs himself*
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JonesDeini
    @Feliciano2040:  
    I'll give him props for getting me back into weekly comics, hell, DC comics period. I can't take that away from him, but once I found newer writers who were better and the current projects that writers I already revered were doing it put him in perspective. He's basically the other side of Bendis. Put them together and you'd have a damned good writer. But apart they're more or less highly overrated.  
    Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Feliciano2040
    @JonesDeini: It's actually the same for me, I started reading DC Comics with Green Lantern: Rebirth, I liked it at the moment, but when I read Tygers, In Blackest Night, Mogo Doesn't Socialize, and plenty of other stuff I just sort of started hating Geoff Johns, he is the equivalent of a drooling dirty baby who got his hands on his dad's classic collective figurines and got his greasy fingers on them.
    SleepyDrug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SleepyDrug

I definately agree that the emotional spectrum analogy is slightly off.  HeroKiller12344 has it right that it should be tweaked. 

Green energy is defined as Willpower, but the main trait of a GL is not Willpower but Bravery.  Hal has always been noted for his fearlessness.  Kyle was originally noted for his ability to overcome fear.  The ring itself requires willpower to direct its power. 

Yellow energy is fear.  No problem here for me.  Fear is the natural opposite of bravery (or courage). 

Red energy is anger.  That works for me.  It makes Red Lanterns, like the Sinestro Corps, natural villains. 

Orange is avarice.  This is could be said to be envy, greed, or desire.  Semantics aside, this is fairly primal.  One of the first emotions experienced by an infant is desire: for attention, for food, for aid, for toys... 

Sapphire is supposed to be love.  But that makes no sense with the combative side of the Star Sapphires.  It might be better stated that it is unrequited love or lust.  Star Sapphires have been denied love and seek to take what they think is theirs.  Until recently, that has always been the MO of the Star Sapphires. 

Blue is hope.  Ok....I suppose this can be considered an emotion.  But it is really a concept.  It is still fairly primal.  Altruism, dreams, love of justice....all spring from hope.  I liked HeroKiller12344's description of this as the pursuit of happiness. 

Black is death.  Well....despair and apathy.  The opposite of hope....complete hopelessness. 

Semantics clog this up some.  But it would be better to describe the spectrum as primal concepts or impulses than emotions.  They need to get past the word choice by describing the depth of these concepts better.
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JonesDeini
    @SleepyDrug:  
    Most excellently said, good sir!
    SleepyDrug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SleepyDrug
    @JonesDeini said:

@SleepyDrug:  Most excellently said, good sir!

Thank you.
    Avatar image for iknoweverything
    IKnowEverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By IKnowEverything
    @katanalauncher said:

I don't think Fear is an emotion either, anxiety was always the key in evolution. The big bad brave ones never survive for long.

fear is an emotion the same way sadness is. both cases its a feeling one gets upon a given stimulus. Not only that, fear is one of the only emotions that humans can have at birth. (I recently learned this in college. im not trying to be a jerk and necro this whole thread  just to say that, but i think fear is interesting)
    Avatar image for herokiller12344
    Herokiller12344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Herokiller12344
    @SleepyDrug
    Pretty good.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.