Follow

Sinestro

Character » Sinestro appears in 1189 issues.

Once considered the greatest Green Lantern in any sector, Sinestro came to believe that the only way to ensure order in the universe was through the reign of fear, a crime for which the Guardians banished him to Qward. There he created the first yellow power ring and later on founded his own corps, The Sinestro Corps. He has clashed frequently with his former student and protege; Hal Jordan. The relationship between the two is a complicated one, a mixture of both hatred and respect in equal measures.

Off My Mind: Is Sinestro the Universe's Greatest Hero?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

One thing we can be thankful for with DC's 'The New 52' is the Green Lantern continuity has remained untouched (from what we've seen so far). In one of the shocking moments at the end of War of the Green Lanterns, Sinestro was chosen to be the bearer of a Green Lantern power ring.

While once known as one of the greatest Green Lanterns, Sinestro soon became obsessed with establishing order on his home planet Korugar. He abused his power, neglected his sector and ruled his planet as a dictator. For this, Sinestro was banished to the antimatter universe by the Guardians of the Universe and eventually came into possession of a yellow power ring.

No Caption Provided

A constant thorn in the side of the Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps, he had no choice but to form an allegiance with Jordan during Blackest Night and Brightest Day. Sinestro developed a bit of respect for Hal when he took it upon himself to deal with the renegade Guardian, Krona. It may have been the slight sign of compassion Sinestro showed when Hal was stripped of his power ring or it could be something bigger. With Sinestro back as a Green Lantern, is he destined to find redemption and become a hero once again? (Minor spoilers from Green Lantern #2 below).

== TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided

Sinestro may have extreme methods in dealing with problems but he's not completely evil. Sinestro believes he knows what is best for the universe. He doesn't act seeking personal gain but does what he feels in necessary. Deep down he has the right idea in bringing about order. It's just that his extreme methods often come into question.

No Caption Provided

The fact is, he was chosen to become a Green Lantern again. Hal would like to think there was a simply a glitch in the ring but the Guardians have said the rings are never wrong. They are made to seek out the worthy and, for whatever reason, Sinestro was chosen.

With Sinestro's visit to Earth to see Hal Jordan, there are some things that could happen. At some point, Hal has to become a Green Lantern once again. He already spent quite a while away from the Corps (when possessed by Parallax and during his time as the Spectre). Hal Jordan is destined to be a Green Lantern. It was what he dedicated his life to. Hal was pretty much a Lantern 24 hours a day.

It was Hal that opened Sinestro's eyes. Perhaps seeing how unselfishly he threw himself into battle against Krona managed to give Sinestro some inspiration. He may not feel he commit any foul acts when he wore a yellow power ring but he has to understand the different between his Sinestro Corps and the Green Lantern Corps. He may never be completely obedient to Guardians but there was a time he fully believed in the Corps. Even though he possessed vast power with a yellow power ring, he has to realize that using fear is not a way to earn the respect of lesser beings.

Sinestro probably wouldn't care what others think of him but it's not like he set out to be a bad guy. He didn't decide one day, "I'm now going to be an evil force in the galaxy." Being a Green Lantern once again puts him in a different light. Whether he wants to admit it or not, he just might actually be hungry for some redemption.

What people, including Hal, don't realize is Sinestro has an incredible amount of will power. Hal may have been the current greatest Green Lantern but it's been Sinestro's lack of focus that has held him back. In Green Lantern #2, he does some incredible things with his ring that would impress even Hal. If Sinestro could embrace a little more compassion and be willing to devote some time to those he considers beneath him, he could do a lot of good. Not only that, he could make changes beyond a global level. He created his own Lantern Corps. What if he used that energy and effort for good instead of evil?

No Caption Provided

What would this mean for his character? Will it result in the loss of his arrogance that practically defines who he is? He may hate Hal but maybe it's because they have some common traits, however small they may be. They both feel they are worthy of possessing the greatest power in the universe. Both feel they can make the decisions the universe needs. Both are willing to go against the Guardians.

Sinestro may have the potential to be the greatest hero in the universe but it's something he won't allow to happen. He possesses the potential to do what no one else can. It's his arrogance that is holding him back. He feels he knows what is best and won't put much effort in saving the little people. He tries looking at the bigger picture. And the last thing we need is for Sinestro and Hal to become buddies and go out fighting the bad guys together.

VaizD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By VaizD

The status quo upset can only last for so long. Hal will inevitably be a green lantern again and Sinestro will... Well, whether or not he'll be a yellow lantern, I dunno, but he'll screw something up.

kal-el09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By kal-el09

sinestro is definitely one of my favorites anti-hero or villain, he's a badass!!!!!

Dro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Dro

@VaizD said:

The status quo upset can only last for so long. Hal will inevitably be a green lantern again and Sinestro will... Well, whether or not he'll be a yellow lantern, I dunno, but he'll screw something up.

That's stupid. Re-establishing the status quo does nothing to develop either character. It's been that way for what, 40 years, now? Has to be at least that long. That kind of attitude is part of why DC resets its universe every few years: so they can rewrite a bunch of backstories, streamline things, simplify them, and largely, start over from the same spot they've already been in.

rouder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By rouder

@VaizD said:

so? some writer somewhere in the future maybe writes a story that brings it all back to status quo, but that has ZERO relevance to the quality of this concrete comic book or to the amount of entertainment i gain from it. It does not make it worse nor better.

Go be bitter somewhere else

Skies327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Skies327

Short answer to the headline: Yes. He is.

Sinestro, whether people want to admit it or not, is the greatest Green Lantern of all time. All. Time. He went against the stagnant, narrow-minded Guardians and did what needed to be done for the galaxy. Using the Sinestro Corps to force the Guardians to allow lethal force, tactically brilliant. They needed that lethal force come Blackest Night, and War of the Green Lanterns. His interactions with his daughter show him as much more than just some madman. He truly cares for his little girl, and will tear down planets should she come to harm.

Sinestro truly is the greatest of them all, whether he's been wearing the green or not.

bRiMaTiOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By bRiMaTiOn

Man I can't see through this. Is Sinestro going to turn evil or what? He looks like a reformed red thing guy. What's with his agenda to control everything because it will be better? Is it one of those that doesn't worry if the little guy get's hurt?

I like how he looked up at the sky and brought up something contradictory. The other guy says, "I don't think you've changed."

This isn't very interesting. This comic is boring. With this kind of story telling would it matter if he stayed good or turned evil? Where's it feel like it's leading? Nowheres. That's what kind of storytelling this sounds like.

Is there something to sweeten the pot other then a committee and ring vs. the hero of the book? 50/50 right? Then a guy who was really great. Then really misguided. Now he has a little feeling of goodness so he might change. How much goodness? Eh, about enough to make this a toss up.

What repercussions can come from the different decisions he could make? Well he's wrestling with such deep things. An urge to control everything and an urge to talk to the hero a little bit. So I guess if he goes back to wrong he will be a force to be reckoned with and if he stays strong and good, him and the hero fight some other villains. Which will be better at it? Let's just say one of them will be a little better then the other. Or they'll run even kinda one upping each other.

This is really see through. You need to paint a picture of his upside and a picture of his downside. This isn't a rough draft of a story.

If you think there is a lot to discuss though we can hear more about this. I just think there's an easy way to see this character is going vill-o with a capital O. So, vill-O.

Sorry about it but that's my opinion on this one.

By the way, quick poll. Who hates it when second rate villains or stale villains get recharged by there hate of something? Like there "frustration" kicks in and it makes them more dangerous then ever. What kind of adult is afraid of "frustration". Isn't that tough to deal with at our jobs? Sinestro says, "So you can relate to why I'm about to do this?"

We say, "No that's weird."

He says, "The unexpectedness makes it harder to understand my 'frustration'! And dare I say it? Makes it more scary, intimidating, and dangerous..."

Which is what it sounds like when frustration causes a relapse into villainy. I know medically all perceived bad things lead back to something like a mental inability to comprehend or something or frustrated thoughts and experiences, but it's a comic book. The villain sounds ridiculous. Shouldn't he be driven by something nuts sounding? Like an urge to see everyone dressed in there clothing? Enough money to own every toy shop in the world? No one ever solves why those things drive them. They just say lame things like "Well he's the toymaster so that's why he does that." They can't handle the skilz of it. It cut's right through em.

Frustration though. How can I understand that? Oh wait, I can see his perspective just fine. It doesn't make sense. Also I'm thinking of human psychology and Sinestro. Thanks DC.

Okay, tell me why Sinestro is bad or why I should think he'll be good. Make it sound exactly like your answering those questions too and nothing else. I'm only on the boards to do something interesting, Let's hear everyones best answer. Skip anything just plain interesting.

SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By SpidermanWins

He's either just going to fall again or stay a green lantern for a while

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By entropy_aegis

@Skies327 said:

Short answer to the headline: Yes. He is.

Sinestro, whether people want to admit it or not, is the greatest Green Lantern of all time. All. Time. He went against the stagnant, narrow-minded Guardians and did what needed to be done for the galaxy. Using the Sinestro Corps to force the Guardians to allow lethal force, tactically brilliant. They needed that lethal force come Blackest Night, and War of the Green Lanterns. His interactions with his daughter show him as much more than just some madman. He truly cares for his little girl, and will tear down planets should she come to harm.

Sinestro truly is the greatest of them all, whether he's been wearing the green or not.

Sorry Kyle IS the greatest lantern,his track record proves it.Sinestro is on the otherhand Geoffcon Johns man crush.Prior to Johns the Guardians used to commit mistakes but now they're brain dead.Can't wait for the Sinestro Corps to release Mongul,

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Eyz

"the Green Lantern continuity has remained untouched"

Well, I wouldn't say that exactly

More like: Green Lantern comics will continue from where they left and keep their recent threads.

I mean did Blackest Night pan out the same, considering Barry Allen, Superman and many other were completely different characters? Did Guy become a Lantern through the original Crisis and become the main part of the original JLI? Did Alan Scott still exist in the new 52?And Jade + Kyle Rayner, all those years back, those stories and the development that was taking its course in the pages of GLCorps?...

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By chalkshark

The first thing Sinestro decides to do, as a Green Lantern, is return to Korugar to liberate it from the dirtbag army he left stationed there. It seems likely that his endgame is just to get Korugar  under his thumb again. Deciding to dismantle the Sinestro Corps doesn't make him a hero. It just means they've outlived their use to him, & he doesn't want them around anymore. It's also notable that the second thing he does as a Green Lantern is to go needle his old arch-nemesis, before enslaving him to his cause. Don't let the sheep's clothing fool you. Sinestro is still as big a villain as he ever was. He's just playing a different angle to achieve his goals.

GothamRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#11  Edited By GothamRed

he may be doing well at the moment, but... his name is SINESTRO, I know that's over generalizing him based on a name, but seriously, would you expect a guy named sinestro to play on the good side for very long? It just wouldn't feel right if they kept him this way, I give him a 5 issue run as the main GL, 10 tops, but I wouldn't hold out for more than that. We'll see though I could be totally wrong...

Out_of_Space

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Out_of_Space

No, he's not such a great hero.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NightFang3

Sinestro will always be a villain in my eyes.

Avatar image for xx2nite_alritexx
    xX2nite_alriteXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By xX2nite_alriteXx

Sinestro only got the ring because the conscience guiding their choices- Mogo- was flat-out obliterated by John Stewart. Had Mogo, and his conscience, remained intact, I doubt Sinestro would have gotten much more than a swift kick off of Oa.

Neverpraying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By Neverpraying

I dislike Sinestro.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

With great power comes great....temptation. Yes, as you said Sinestro feels that he knows what is best for the universe and while that does not necessarily mean that he is a villain, it does open the possibility to other Lanterns or even the Guardians to be at odds with him over his opinions. His obsession is with order, and if Sinestro starts to take it upon himself to instill order in the cosmos again on his own volition rather than at the behest of the Guardians, then there could be problems on down the line. Yes, he demonstrates great willpower, but unfortunately it is also a shaky willpower that seems to sway when something does not go as he plans. With Hal eventually coming back into the picture, that status will invariably change I say. He will turn to evil again, but whether it will be the same way he turned to evil in the old DCU remains to be seen.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By buttersdaman000

To answer your question:  

NO

CrimsonTempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#18  Edited By CrimsonTempest

The way I see it, a guy who can create a ring out of his willpower, save the people from a falling bridge, AND repairing said bridge, deserves to be called a hero. Not the universe's greatest hero, let's not willfully forget the Sinestro Corps War. But you prove a point, Sinestro is earning his place in the GLC, and that's when he's not caring about it.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By danhimself

Sinestro has always been an antihero in my eyes....everything he did with the Sinestro Corps was to better the Green Lantern Corps in preparation for Blackest Night....he may have done some bad things in some peoples eyes but everything he did was ultimately in pursuit of a good goal....he may have put Kurugar under his thumb but he did it for peace...Green Lantern #2 just shows that he knows more about the green rings than any other Green Lantern...Hal was prepared to zip around and save the people on the bridge one by one but Sinestro comes along and saves everyone and even fixes the bridge in one movement and that's after he creates a new ring for Hal complete with his own set of rules....yeah Sinestro is the greatest GL of all time

Golden Cod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Golden Cod

I wouldn't call him an anti-hero but he's definitely ambiguous. His intentions may be noble but his authoritarian approach is not. It's either his way or the high way and that's never too far from world galaxy-domination.

jepizzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jepizzel

The idea of redemption (or making them sympathetic) with some characters is completely ridiculous, especially with most of the characters that either Marvel or DC attempts to redeem (esp Marvel). I think Magneto is the biggest example of this. Now, knowing his back story, his character is sympathetic from the standpoint of the horrible things that he went through as a child. However, when his entire history is taking to account, whatever every sympathy his childhood bought has long been spent. Every thing that has been done to make Magneto a huge threat has completely obliterated any chance to see him as capable of redemption or deserving of any significant sympathy. I mean even excluding sinking the Lenigrad, you have Day of Destruction, and probably more notably Fatal Attractions displaying just how murderous and unforgiving Magneto is. He's not just a man with a different philosophy on how mutants should act; he has killed plenty of humans just because what they MIGHT do to mutants (to say nothing of those who were actually guilty of severely mistreating mutants). Moreover, biological "superiority" grants absolutely NO moral rights as he pretends, or else the most intelligent, faster, or stronger people would have moral rights over the less smart, fast, or strong (of course when this inequality is a direct result of biology, which it surely is in some cases). So the idea that it is the "right" of mutants to dominate just because they are more powerful is fundamentally flawed. But I'm digressing too much, the main point is that Magneto's past actions are far too evil for lack of a better word (someone help me out) for him to be able to redeem himself. His actions are not merely "misguided"; killing innocent people intentionally, even if the perceived goal is defending others, remains unjustified. Magneto is the worst kind of villain, because he is actually capable of making an informed decision about his actions and he still choose to murder human beings. If the actions of one (or several) mutants could not justify condemning them all (which he would surely accept), then the actions of some humans could not justify wiping them all out or forcing them into subjection. BUT I'M DIGRESSING AGAIN!! The point still is that major villains probably cannot be redeemed, because if they could, they probably wouldn't be MAJOR villains in the first place. And Sinestro definitely falls into this category. I don't know all of Sinestro's history, but I read since the Sinestro Corps War and THAT EVENT ALONE would make him ineligible for redemption, given the vast destruction that he authored across the universe and especially on earth. The acts of villains in comics are far to grand, destructive, and deadly to be looked on as missteps in their past. The phrase "Magneto was right" is ludicrous, because Magneto championed murdering millions of innocent beings, or seriously violating their rights to elevate other beings and that could never be right. Ok, end rant lol.

jepizzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jepizzel

I apologize for all of the errors and typos in my first post.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a98cd905fc97
    deactivated-5a98cd905fc97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing bad could come of appointing a man named "Sinestro" to a role of galactic police service.

Or35ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Or35ti

Something really bad is going to happen to the Green Lantern Corps pretty soon... We can already see that all of the Guardians are out of their minds, except for Ganthet but it looks like the others sorta mindraped him.

IamKryptonite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By IamKryptonite

Sinestro is great no matter who he fights for. I consider him a Villain, but not like any other. His intentions are noble. It's his execution that makes him some what of a tyrant. He leads his own corps with ferocity all the while staying level headed and focused. As a green Lantern: he has been called one of the greatest Lanterns ever to serve. But using fear as your prime weapon doesn't make you a hero. Since getting into comics he has risen to become ONE of my favorite villains. And if he returns to being a hero I could handle that aswell. (His character was the best part of that awful movie). I have a harder time defining ATROCITUS. As a Red Lantern he is consumed by rage. In his story it's because his people were slaughtered so it's hard to call him evil, yet I consider him a villain and prob my favorite besides Sinestro. Why is this? Am I wrong? Atrocitus is actually neither good nor bad right?

Suprman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26  Edited By Suprman

for me it's hard to tell if Sinestro is looking for redemption, the current situation with the sinestro corps. has proven that that particular method was wrong and it's backfired in his face. but at the same time freeing Korugar from their control will not ensure redemption in the corps. Sinestro is a very good Green lantern and that is because he is forceful and convinced that force is the best way to maintain order, and it's possible that he's right. When he was a GL his sector was the "most orderly sector in the galaxy" so to some degree his methods get results and the Guardians are stupid for not realizing this

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27  Edited By noj

@jepizzel: If you remember in the Sinestro Corps War one of Sinestros main goals was to better the Green Lantern Corps by lifting their no kill policy and making them more proactive which at the end of the day he succeeded in. Sinestro really only wants what he believes is best for the universe and is willing to do whatever it takes to get there. Besides its not like the current GL administration are paragons of virtue. The Guardians inability to see past their own noses pretty much single handadly started the War of Light and the Blackest Night, which ironically the GLC wouldnt have even been able to survive without the changes Sinestro orchestrated with the Sinestro corps war.

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By Hazlenaut

It seems anyone who worked with the guardian of the universe were the best, but then came universe greatest threat. Manhunters, Hal Jordan and Sinestro are key examples.

maxicere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By maxicere

Sinestro is the Universe's greatest traitor

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By goldenkey

I had a weird feeling that he was going to be a GL again from Sinestro War. He mention that he still believed in the GL concept. It should be interesting to see where this goes. He's like DC's Magneto in some regards. He's more of an Anit-hero then a full fledge villain now.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#31  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @noj said:

@jepizzel: If you remember in the Sinestro Corps War one of Sinestros main goals was to better the Green Lantern Corps by lifting their no kill policy and making them more proactive which at the end of the day he succeeded in. Sinestro really only wants what he believes is best for the universe and is willing to do whatever it takes to get there. Besides its not like the current GL administration are paragons of virtue. The Guardians inability to see past their own noses pretty much single handadly started the War of Light and the Blackest Night, which ironically the GLC wouldnt have even been able to survive without the changes Sinestro orchestrated with the Sinestro corps war.

to be fair. blackest night probably wouldn't have happened if Sinestro hadn't formed the Sinestro Corps in the first place.
    Skies327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Skies327

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@noj said:
    to be fair. blackest night probably wouldn't have happened if Sinestro hadn't formed the Sinestro Corps in the first place.

False. Blackest Night was going to happen whether Sinestro was around or not. The Guardians knew it, and they tried to hide it. Abin Sur knew it, and died before he could help. Sinestro knew it, and he did what he felt was necessary to help ensure the universe survived.

To top it all off, Sinestro was actually proved right that the Guardians are shady, manipulative liars during said event with the unveiling of The Entity on Earth.

BadassAquaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BadassAquaman

Nah, I don't know. Sinestro always looked like a red/pink/purple frenchman to me.

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#34  Edited By kennybaese

Sinestro became one of the most compelling DC characters ever with the Sinestro Corps War. I love him, and I can't wait to get my hands on the next GL trade.

Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By They Killed Cap!

@VaizD: well said...

fps_dean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36  Edited By fps_dean

Honestly, I hope they keep Sinestro as a Green Lantern for a while even after Hal Jordan gets his ring back. There's enough going on in the GL universe that they don't need Sinestro as a bad guy, the Sinestro Corps could get a new leader and that could get interesting again too, and there will always be that question in the back of our heads.

zackattack529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By zackattack529

i always thought of sinestro as a cool villain. and the reason why im loving this story arc is because hal and sinestro really complete each other? aha they do well on oppsosites sides of the spectrum. one sinestro has the right ideals but his morals are fucked up. and hall his mind and heart are in the right place but he still isnt fit for green lantern corps because of his selfishness which is stated in the issue #2 sinestro and hal can learn soo much from each other making hal a better hero(green lantern and sinestro a better bad guy possibly. becuz we all know down the line that hal will be green lantern again and sinestro will be back to his old self...but will he ever regain control of sinestro corps..i think not think down the line sinestro will end up making the biggest sacrifice for good or becoming even more sinister and becoming more powerful having gained such knowledge but either way he is definitly leaving his corps behind and never gonna go down the path of good...unless like i said he sacrafices himself for good. but then again if vegeta from dragonball z can become good for like the the latter 9 season then sinestro might remain one of those arrogant skeptical good guys like magneto. and i wouldnt mind that cause magneto was cool but just had a differnt sense of justice and sinestro is cool as well..i gotta read more!! X)

but no im sorry comivein sinestro is NOT the DCUs greatest hero..at this point he has no place in the universe but he will find his purpose as will hal..and apparntly attrocitus.

The_Elemetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By The_Elemetal

@RedheadedAtrocitus said:

With great power comes great....temptation. Yes, as you said Sinestro feels that he knows what is best for the universe and while that does not necessarily mean that he is a villain, it does open the possibility to other Lanterns or even the Guardians to be at odds with him over his opinions. His obsession is with order, and if Sinestro starts to take it upon himself to instill order in the cosmos again on his own volition rather than at the behest of the Guardians, then there could be problems on down the line. Yes, he demonstrates great willpower, but unfortunately it is also a shaky willpower that seems to sway when something does not go as he plans. With Hal eventually coming back into the picture, that status will invariably change I say. He will turn to evil again, but whether it will be the same way he turned to evil in the old DCU remains to be seen.

jepizzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jepizzel

@noj the problem with Sinestro (and to a lesser degree with other villains like him) is not so much the goal, but the means. Wanting be wealth is generally an admirable goal...manipulating people, stealing from others or killing them is not a justified way of attaining the otherwise unproblematic goal of getting wealthy. So Sinestro's goal of "improving" the GLC is fine. KILLING GLs in the process of attaining that goal is not. And it's not like he just called off his Corps when he accomplished his goal. Add to that what he attempted to do Kyle and again the destruction he wrong across the universe and earth and the point of all is actions becomes far less important. And pointing to the flaws of the Guardians doesn't help any. That just means more beings than Sinestro are guilty of egregious actions.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#40  Edited By jrock85

@jepizzel said:

The idea of redemption (or making them sympathetic) with some characters is completely ridiculous, especially with most of the characters that either Marvel or DC attempts to redeem (esp Marvel). I think Magneto is the biggest example of this. Now, knowing his back story, his character is sympathetic from the standpoint of the horrible things that he went through as a child. However, when his entire history is taking to account, whatever every sympathy his childhood bought has long been spent. Every thing that has been done to make Magneto a huge threat has completely obliterated any chance to see him as capable of redemption or deserving of any significant sympathy. I mean even excluding sinking the Lenigrad, you have Day of Destruction, and probably more notably Fatal Attractions displaying just how murderous and unforgiving Magneto is. He's not just a man with a different philosophy on how mutants should act; he has killed plenty of humans just because what they MIGHT do to mutants (to say nothing of those who were actually guilty of severely mistreating mutants). Moreover, biological "superiority" grants absolutely NO moral rights as he pretends, or else the most intelligent, faster, or stronger people would have moral rights over the less smart, fast, or strong (of course when this inequality is a direct result of biology, which it surely is in some cases). So the idea that it is the "right" of mutants to dominate just because they are more powerful is fundamentally flawed. But I'm digressing too much, the main point is that Magneto's past actions are far too evil for lack of a better word (someone help me out) for him to be able to redeem himself. His actions are not merely "misguided"; killing innocent people intentionally, even if the perceived goal is defending others, remains unjustified. Magneto is the worst kind of villain, because he is actually capable of making an informed decision about his actions and he still choose to murder human beings. If the actions of one (or several) mutants could not justify condemning them all (which he would surely accept), then the actions of some humans could not justify wiping them all out or forcing them into subjection. BUT I'M DIGRESSING AGAIN!! The point still is that major villains probably cannot be redeemed, because if they could, they probably wouldn't be MAJOR villains in the first place. And Sinestro definitely falls into this category. I don't know all of Sinestro's history, but I read since the Sinestro Corps War and THAT EVENT ALONE would make him ineligible for redemption, given the vast destruction that he authored across the universe and especially on earth. The acts of villains in comics are far to grand, destructive, and deadly to be looked on as missteps in their past. The phrase "Magneto was right" is ludicrous, because Magneto championed murdering millions of innocent beings, or seriously violating their rights to elevate other beings and that could never be right. Ok, end rant lol.

Well said.

Avatar image for christopherwalken
    christopherwalken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmmm, nah.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By entropy_aegis

If Mongul ends up killing him i'll laugh my ass off.

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#43  Edited By Kairan1979

When I saw Green Lantern #1, I remember a plot from Legion of Super-Heroes, when they forced Earth-Man to join Legion.

ImRightUrWrong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ImRightUrWrong

After what SInestro had done to Kyle's mother and his reasons, Sinestro will never be a hero...

pahphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By pahphoenix

@bRiMaTiOn: ... glad you got that out of your system. That must have been pent up for a while. I should forward this to DC ...

allison_scag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By allison_scag

@Skies327: hmm correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't one of the objectives of Sinestro while he was in the green lantern corp, was to instill lethal force. If that's the case then the guardians essentially played into his hands in that instance.

Avatar image for kapitein_zeppos
    kapitein_zeppos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By kapitein_zeppos

Sinestro isn't a hero by any definition. He was a very efficient law enforcer, but he believed in the "boot stomping a face" approach to peacekeeping. He's not that different from people like Hitler or Osama Bin Laden, who will use murder, torture and terror to create a "better" world. But as he rejoined the Green Lantern fold he seems to have accepted that his methods were wrong and caused more harm than good. He's still very cold and distant (look how he deals with the people who are thankful for saving his lives. He feels an obligation to save them, but he doesn't relate to them.)

Sinestro's actions may be very efficient at keeping a population docile and under control, but morally his acts are unacceptable. He violated private freedom, indulged in torture, terror, while causing injury and death to innocents. This isn't an accidental byproduct, it's a direct consequence of his actions.

The anti-hero is a character who does bad things (for a good cause), but is not evil (he may steal, cheat and kill the guilty, but not the innocent). If you cause harm to the guilty AND the innocent in the belief that the good will always outweigh the bad (sacrifice a hundred people to get a killer is an acceptable option), then you are a vigilante or a villain.

Sinestro is a reformed villain, not an anti-hero and certainly not a hero.

7DEADPOOL7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By 7DEADPOOL7

Sinestro has the most potential out of any of the green lanterns currently.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.